Car Rental in Lyon
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Lyon?
Lyon is a fascinating city to explore. Full of interesting historic buildings and sites, and not just in its downtown, it is considered very picturesque even for France. It’s prime location in the center of the country also means that from it you can go on to explore the nearby Alps, the French Riviera in the south, or Paris in the north.
One-Way Car Rentals in Lyon
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Lyon and drop off in another city include:
- From Lyon to Paris - 176 offers from 40.71 USD per day
- From Lyon to Munich - 66 offers from 101.17 USD per day
- From Lyon to Chambery - 67 offers from 34.88 USD per day
- From Lyon to Milan - 18 offers from 435.19 USD per day
- From Lyon to Marseille - 87 offers from 40.71 USD per day
Top ways to enter Lyon
- Lyon–Saint-Exupéry Airport: Also known as Lyon-Satolas, the airport hosts flights to and from many destinations in Europe as well as North Africa and Asia. It served more than 11 million travelers in 2018. Lyon Airport is located about 20km (13 miles) southeast of downtown Lyon.
- Grenoble Alpes–Isère Airport: Serving the French city of the same name and the region surrounding it, Grenoble Airport is an important hub for those trying to reach the French Alps. The airport is located 112 km (69 mi) southeast of Lyon, a distance that can be driven in 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Clermont-Ferrand Auvergne Airport: Another small airport in south-central France, it hosts a number of domestic flights and also provides air connections to the Netherlands, Portugal, and Morocco. Clermont-Ferrand Airport is 166 km (103 mi) west of Lyon and can be reached in about two hours.
- Montpellier–Méditerranée Airport: The 10th-busiest airport in France serves one of the fastest-growing coastal cities in the country. Served by nearly 20 different airlines, it handles more than 10 million travelers every year. Montpellier Airport is about a three-hour drive south of Lyon.
- By rail: If you’re arriving in Lyon by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at the Lyon-Part-Dieu Railway Station or Lyon-Perrache Railway Station.
Useful city facts
- Lyon has a humid subtropical climate with oceanic influences. Thanks to the moderating influence of the nearby mountains, its summers are warm, but tolerable, with an average temperature of 22.1 °C (71.8 °F) in July, the hottest month. Its winters range from cool to mild with an average temperature of 3.2 °C (37.8 °F) in January. The precipitation is even year-round, with winters months being only slightly more dry than summer.
- Lyon is famous for its delectable food, so much so that the 20th-century culinary guru Curnonsky labeled it “the Gastronomical Capital of the World”. Try to visit a local Bouchon restaurant where you are certain to be offered such delicacies as coq au vin (chicken with wine, lardons, and mushrooms), quenelle (creamed fish, or sometimes meat, with egg binding), and rosette de Lyon (cured French sausage). If you crave something more simple and fast, try the famous Lyon Tacos that were invented in the city less than 20 years ago and remain a top choice of street food among locals.
Top destinations and activities
- St. Jean Cathedral. The foundations for this church were laid in the 12th Century, but it has been constantly improved and renovated over the years resulting in an eclectic mix of Gothic and Romanesque styles. With its many chapels and impressive astronomical tower, it is one of the symbols of Lyon. Combine a visit here with seeing the nearby St. Jean Archaeological Garden which has buildings dating back to the 4th Century A.D.
- Institut Lumière. A unique museum, it celebrates the life and work of Auguste and Louis Lumière, the pioneering French filmmakers who are often called the fathers of cinema. With many items from the very first films ever made, coming here feels like a wonderful trip back in time. That the museum is housed in a beautiful building that still belongs to the Lumière family and was opened by the grandson of Louis only adds to the authenticity of the experience.
- Parc de la Tête d'Or. Large and picturesque, this unique park is considered by many to overshadow the famous gardens of Paris. It is a perfect place to spend a day outdoors or have a picnic. There are also various attractions inside the gardens, including the botanical garden, the greenhouses where exotic non-native plants grow, and the “Africa plain” area where you’ll see plenty of wildlife animals.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30km/h. Unlike that of inter-city roads, the urban speed limit is unaffected by the weather.
- Outside cities and as of May 2019, the speed limit depends on the type of the road. Highways are limited to 130km/h, 4-lane expressways to 110km/h, and 2- or 3- lane roads to 90km/h. When it is raining, the limits are respectively lowered to 110km/h, 100 km/h, and 80km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50km/h during periods of heavy fog or other times when visibility is impaired.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you are driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- As of 2019, hands-free mobile phone use is banned in France and the fines are hefty.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the main highways in France (autoroute in French) are toll roads. Their names start with a letter A and you can recognize them by their red number sign. The fee for taking a toll road depends on the specific route, distance traveled, as well as the type of vehicle - trailer cars and caravans have to pay more than regular cars. You can pay by credit card or in cash. You’ll be given a ticket that you have to keep while on the toll road.
Some rental cars are equipped with toll road transponders that can be used at the automatic toll road payment booths (Télépéage). Ask your rental car provider to find out if they offer cars with toll road transponders.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Beaujolais. If you’re traveling with a friend, a partner, or someone else you can share the driving duties with, you simply have to visit the famous Beaujolais wine region. There are many wine-tasting tours, one more outstanding than the other. In the many picturesque villages of local domains, you can also learn about the history of winemaking, different technologies used, and wine’s importance for the local economy. The Beaujolais region is just a short drive north of Lyon.
- Annecy. Located in the foothills of the French Alps and sitting on the northern coast of the lake of the same name, Annecy is one of the most picturesque small towns in Europe. Often labeled the Venice of Savoie for its system of small streams of turquoise blue water, it is also famous for its old churches and many the different city festivals that take place here nearly once a month. Annecy is about 146km (91 miles) east of Lyon, a distance that can be traveled by car in less than two hours.
- Chamonix. The Winter Olympics were held here in 1924, and Chamonix still remains the winter sports capital of France and, perhaps, Europe. With even the town’s lowest parts at least 1,000m (3,250ft) above sea level, it is located deep inside the French Alps. There are plenty of opportunities for skiing and snowboarding, as well as glaciers, hiking trails, and panoramic viewpoints to explore. The most ambitious of travelers will be happy to find out that Mont Blanc, the highest summit of the EU, is also within reach. Near the border with Switzerland and Italy, Chamonix is about a 2 hour and 30-minute drive east of Lyon.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental cars in Lyon are the Citroen C3, the Opel Corsa, and the Ford Focus. The most popular rental car types are economy, compact, and intermediate.
- Avignon. With an impressive medieval architecture; ancient, fortified town center; and having played a crucial role in France’s religious and revolutionary history, Avignon is a unique place to visit. History buffs will love the many buildings and museums related to the city’s Papal past, while anyone else will appreciate the special atmosphere of the narrow, labyrinthine streets snaking among the steep gothic buildings. Avignon is slightly less than a three-hour drive south of Lyon.
- The French Riviera. As picturesque as it is glamorous, the French Mediterranean Coast is one of France’s top tourist destinations. Places like Cannes, Saint-Tropez, and the tiny principality of Monaco are known for their stunning beaches and lavish lifestyle, but just as much joy can be found in the region’s fish markets, sleepy little villages, and impressive coastal cliffs. Nice, the Riviera’s largest city, is 472km (293 miles) southeast of Lyon and can be reached in less than five hours.
- Geneva. Switzerland’s largest French-speaking city is known as a global diplomatic and financial center, but it is also a fine travel destination. Its picturesque city center, architecture and many museums can be explored for days. And if you ever feel like escaping the city, the shore of Lake Geneva and the nearby Alps offer the perfect getaway. About 150km (93 miles) east of Lyon, Geneva can be reached in only two hours. Keep in mind that you’d be crossing a national border, though, so first, make sure your rental car provider permits it.
Car Rental Prices in Lyon
- Station wagons - from $137 per day
- Large cars - from $87 per day
- Medium cars - from $76 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $135 per day
- Premium cars - from $128 per day
- Small cars - from $56 per day
- SUVs - from $80 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Follow these tips to get a good car rental deal in Lyon:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Lyon is the cheapest in September when renting a car is about 23% cheaper than the yearly average and an entire 50% cheaper than visiting in March. Come enjoy the end of summer in Lyon!
Top 20 Cities near Lyon
Paris Car Rentals from $33.26 per day401.1 km / 249.3 miles away
Nice Car Rentals from $75.67 per day297.9 km / 185.1 miles away
Marseille Car Rentals from $48.99 per day259.8 km / 161.4 miles away
Ajaccio Car Rentals from $130.23 per day530.6 km / 329.7 miles away
Figari Car Rentals from $60.51 per day583.2 km / 362.4 miles away
Bastia Car Rentals from $144.23 per day513.1 km / 318.8 miles away
Montpellier Car Rentals from $41.16 per day252.2 km / 156.7 miles away
Toulouse Car Rentals from $30.55 per day363.4 km / 225.8 miles away
Bordeaux Car Rentals from $42.81 per day447.8 km / 278.3 miles away
Lille Car Rentals from $33.65 per day550.1 km / 341.8 miles away
Toulon Car Rentals from $81.60 per day304.6 km / 189.3 miles away
Nantes Car Rentals from $50.37 per day519.1 km / 322.6 miles away
Cannes Car Rentals from $49.26 per day296.9 km / 184.5 miles away
Perpignan Car Rentals from $85.13 per day371.2 km / 230.7 miles away
Biarritz Car Rentals from $56.27 per day566.3 km / 351.9 miles away
Aix-en-Provence Car Rentals from $78.89 per day258.8 km / 160.8 miles away
Grenoble Car Rentals from $37.48 per day57.4 km / 35.6 miles away
Nimes Car Rentals from $72.62 per day225.4 km / 140.0 miles away
Béziers Car Rentals from $72.62 per day296.1 km / 184.0 miles away
Calvi Car Rentals from $48.49 per day477.5 km / 296.7 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Lyon
Lyon-Part-Dieu Train Station Car Rentals from $46.19 per day0.1 km / 0.1 miles away
Lyon-Perrache Train Station Car Rentals from $39.66 per day3.0 km / 1.8 miles away
Lyon St Exupéry Airport Car Rentals from $46.29 per day17.5 km / 10.8 miles away
Grenoble Alpes–Isère Airport Car Rentals from $37.48 per day57.4 km / 35.6 miles away
Grenoble Train Station Car Rentals from $37.76 per day91.7 km / 57.0 miles away
Annecy Train Station Car Rentals from $35.65 per day98.9 km / 61.4 miles away
Geneva Airport French sector Car Rentals from $46.59 per day110.0 km / 68.4 miles away
Clermont-Ferrand Auvergne Airport Car Rentals from $33.26 per day131.8 km / 81.9 miles away
Moûtiers-Salins-Brides-les-Bains Train Station Car Rentals from $58.72 per day133.4 km / 82.9 miles away
Dole Airport Car Rentals from $40.21 per day149.3 km / 92.8 miles away
Dijon Train Station Car Rentals from $31.45 per day174.4 km / 108.3 miles away
Avignon Train Station Car Rentals from $49.09 per day204.5 km / 127.1 miles away
Aurillac Airport Car Rentals from $39.71 per day213.8 km / 132.8 miles away
Car Rentals from $41.16 per day217.8 km / 135.4 miles away
Nimes Airport Car Rentals from $72.62 per day225.4 km / 140.0 miles away
Rodez Airport Car Rentals from $54.45 per day239.7 km / 148.9 miles away
Montpellier Train Station Car Rentals from $41.16 per day251.8 km / 156.5 miles away
Montpellier-Méditerranée Airport Car Rentals from $41.16 per day252.2 km / 156.7 miles away
Aix-en-Provence Train Station Car Rentals from $78.89 per day258.8 km / 160.8 miles away
Marseille Airport Car Rentals from $48.99 per day259.8 km / 161.4 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Lyon?
What’s the usual rental length in Lyon?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Lyon?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Keddy||Toyota Aygo||3||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Renault Captur||5||2||Medium cars|
|Alamo||Citroen C3||4||2||Small cars|
|Interrent||Peugeot 108||3||1||Small cars|
|Interrent||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Europcar||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Interrent||Peugeot 208||5||2||Small cars|
|Avis||Peugeot 208||3||2||Small cars|
|Alamo||Opel Corsa||2||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 14 Suppliers in Lyon in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.5 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email