Car Rental in Australia
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Australia?
Australia is one of the true great destinations of our planet. From famous cities like Sydney and Melbourne to a very diverse nature that includes deserts, tropical rainforests, endless pristine beaches, magnificent islands, and the Great Barrier Reef, the country offers plenty to keep you excited. While the sheer size of the country means you probably won’t get to explore all of it on a single trip, getting a rental car is one of the surest ways to take in as much as you can.
Top ways to enter Australia
- Sydney Airport: The busiest in Australia, Sydney Airport serves more than 40 million passengers annually.
- Melbourne Airport: Known as Tullamarine by locals, this airport serves flights to and from destinations in the rest of Australia, as well as in Oceania, Asia, and even the U.S. state of Hawaii.
- Brisbane Airport: Arriving in Brisbane is the best way to reach Queensland’s capital and the beautiful beaches that surround it.
- Perth Airport: The main airport of the vast Western Australia state.
Top cities and places to visit
- Sydney. Sydney is one of the most famous cities on the planet, and a visit here will be a highlight of any trip to Australia. The city is notable for its architecture which includes not just the famous Sydney Opera House, but also many fine Georgian and Victorian buildings. Other highlights include the Art Gallery of New South Wales, National Maritime Museum, Sydney Fish Market, and Royal Botanic Gardens. The city also offers access to the neighboring Blue Mountains.
- Melbourne. The capital of the state of Victoria, Melbourne is Australia’s second-largest city and, more importantly, a hub of culture, creativity, cuisine, and coffee. Notable for its distinct neighborhoods, free spirit, and array of incredible restaurants, Melbourne boasts attractions like the National Gallery of Victoria, the Royal Exhibition Building, Immigration Museum, East End Theater District, and Melbourne Observatory.
- Brisbane, Gold Coast, and Sunshine Coast. The capital of sunny Queensland, Brisbane is a large and modern metropolis notable for its skyline, museums, and many green areas. Two of Australia’s most popular beach hubs, the Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast, are located to the south and north of the city, respectively, and other destinations like the Glass House Mountains National Park are also within your reach. The most notable place to visit in the Sunshine Coast is the beautiful surf town of Noosa.
- Cairns. Cairns, located in Tropical North Queensland, is a common kick-off point for exploring the magnificent Great Barrier Reef. Snorkeling and diving trips leave from here, as well as many other tours to explore the region’s incredible waterfalls, natural swimming holes, rivers, and lakes. From Cairns, you can set out on a beautiful drive up to Cape Tribulation, past the quaint beach town of Port Douglas and the Daintree Forest, the world’s oldest rainforest (135 million years old!). Along the way, make sure to embark on a crocodile boat tour to see crocs in the wild.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Australia is the Hyundai i20, followed by the Toyota Corolla and the Kia Rio.
Driver's license requirements
- Australia recognizes valid foreign driver’s licenses if you’re visiting on a trip that’s shorter than six months. If you’re visiting for a longer period or are living in the country permanently, you need to obtain the local license instead.
- If your driver’s license is printed in a non-Latin script (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Similarly, if your driver’s license doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP instead.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the rental conditions before booking.
Most popular types of rental car
Most popular rental car types in Australia are economy, standard, and compact.
Top driving routes
- Eastern Australia. Without a doubt, driving north to south, or south to north, along Australia’s Pacific coastline is the most popular road trip route in Australia. Choose Melbourne (in the south) or Cairns (in the north) as your starting point, then visit some of these destinations in between: the Great Barrier Reef, the Whitsundays, Magnetic Island, Fraser Island, Noosa, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Byron Bay, Newcastle, and Sydney. Magnetic Island, in particular, shoulnd't be missed, so be sure to check out this guide to the island.
- Western Australia. The great western state of Australia is very remote — you’re probably going to fly in and out — but offers plenty of excitement if you get there. The capital, Perth, is a sophisticated and modern city with plenty to enjoy, but the region’s endlessly beautiful (and often, empty!) beaches, otherworldly landscapes, and indigenous sites are just as fascinating. From Perth, set out in your rental car to discover destinations such as Margaret River, Broome, Exmouth (to swim with whale sharks!), and Karijini National Park. Plus, make sure to hop on a ferry to discover the white-sand beaches and azure waters of Rottnest Island.
- Tasmania. An island off the coast of the state of Victoria (Melbourne is the nearest big city), Tasmania is distinct both in terms of nature and culture. The region’s mountains, bays, and woodlands are among the most scenic in the country, and you can also visit refuges of wildlife like the distinct Tasmanian devils. Tasmania is also a good place to see the Southern Lights, especially from June to September. The most popular way to explore Tasmania is on foot - there are countless incredible hikes to embark on!
- South Australia. Wine and food lovers, rejoice! A road trip from Adelaide, across the state of South Australia will reward you with incredible restaurants and renowned wineries in the Barossa Valley. Make sure to drive along the Barossa Heritage Trail, which is over 100 kms, to discover the area’s historic villages, extraordinary landscapes, and plenty of wine and food experiences.
- Great Ocean Road. The Great Ocean Road is a popular 240-kilometre scenic coastal drive in the state of Victoria. The drive stretches between the legendary surf town of Torquay and a small town called Allansford. Along the way, stop to see the iconic Twelve Apostles, beautiful beaches, countless waterfalls, dreamy ocean lookouts, and, in between May and September, lots of whales!
Car Rental Prices
- Convertibles - from $136 per day
- Station wagons - from $43 per day
- Large cars - from $23 per day
- Medium cars - from $16 per day
- Vans - from $51 per day
- Premium cars - from $44 per day
- Small cars - from $25 per day
- SUVs - from $22 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Australia:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Australia is the cheapest in October when renting a car is about 48% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Most Popular Cities in Australia
Car Rental in Melbourne from $27.92 per day
Car Rental in Hobart from $15.72 per day
Car Rental in Sydney from $31.93 per day
Car Rental in Brisbane from $22.75 per day
Car Rental in Perth from $34.16 per day
Car Rental in Cairns from $26.56 per day
Car Rental in Gold Coast from $34.38 per day
Car Rental in Launceston from $21.63 per day
Car Rental in Adelaide from $25.12 per day
Car Rental in Marcoola from $43.79 per day
Car Rental in Darwin from $26.13 per day
Car Rental in Canberra from $36.27 per day
Car Rental in Ballina from $57.54 per day
Car Rental in Newcastle from $33.63 per day
Car Rental in Townsville from $31.69 per day
Car Rental in Alice Springs from $41.19 per day
Car Rental in Avalon from $54.98 per day
Car Rental in Yulara from $81.80 per day
Car Rental in Proserpine from $65.94 per day
Car Rental in Broome from $76.35 per day
Top 20 Most Popular Locations in Australia
Car Rental at Hobart Airport from $15.72 per day
Car Rental at Brisbane Airport from $22.75 per day
Car Rental at Melbourne Airport from $29.65 per day
Car Rental at Sydney Airport from $39.34 per day
Car Rental at Gold Coast Airport from $34.38 per day
Car Rental at Cairns Airport from $26.56 per day
Car Rental at Perth Airport from $34.16 per day
Car Rental at Launceston Airport from $21.63 per day
Car Rental at Adelaide Airport from $25.12 per day
Car Rental at Sunshine Coast Airport from $43.79 per day
Car Rental in Melbourne (Downtown) from $27.92 per day
Car Rental at Darwin Airport from $26.13 per day
Car Rental in Sydney Alexandria from $31.93 per day
Car Rental in Hobart (Downtown) from $17.17 per day
Car Rental in Perth (Downtown) from $47.26 per day
Car Rental in Brisbane (Downtown) from $37.55 per day
Car Rental at Canberra Airport from $45.34 per day
Car Rental in Cairns (Downtown) from $42.12 per day
Car Rental at Ballina Airport from $57.54 per day
Car Rental in Perth Osborne Park from $61.58 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Australia?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the average rental length in Australia?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Australia?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||264|
|Popular suppliers||Bargain Car Rentals, SIXT, EastCoast Car Rentals, NoBirds, Jucy|
|Popular car categories||SUVs, Medium cars, Large cars, Small cars|
|Lowest price||$16 per day|
|Cheapest supplier||Bargain Car Rentals|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Bargain Car Rentals||Hyundai Accent||4||2||Medium cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Kia Stonic||4||2||SUVs|
|Jucy||Hyundai Accent||5||2||Medium cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Toyota Corolla||4||2||Large cars|
|EastCoast Car Rentals||MG ZS||5||2||SUVs|
|NoBirds||Toyota Corolla||5||1||Medium cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||MG HS||4||2||SUVs|
|SIXT||MG HS Aut.||5||3||SUVs|
|SIXT||Mitsubishi Outlander Aut.||5||3||SUVs|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.