Car Rental in Gold Coast
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Gold Coast?
According to many travelers, the Gold Coast is the most fun place in all of Australia. Located in southeast Queensland and a short drive from the state capital, Brisbane, the city offers endless opportunities for surfing, diving, and partying as well as other ways to have a good time. Many other natural attractions, like the Scenic Rim, Glass House Mountains, and Moreton Island are also within reach if you have a rental car.
One-Way Car Rentals in Gold Coast
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Gold Coast and drop off in another city include:
- From Gold Coast to Brisbane - 52 offers from US$ 42.13 per day
- From Gold Coast to Cairns - 42 offers from US$ 49.95 per day
- From Gold Coast to Sydney - 34 offers from US$ 56.66 per day
- From Gold Coast to Marcoola - 34 offers from US$ 41.09 per day
Top ways to enter Gold Coast
- Gold Coast Airport: The sixth-busiest airport in Australia, it handled nearly 6.5 million travelers in 2018. In addition to serving domestic routes, the Gold Coast Airport also has international flights to and from New Zealand, Malaysia, South Korea, and Japan. Located 27 km (17 miles) south of the city center, the Gold Coast Airport can be reached in about 30 minutes.
- Brisbane Airport: Serving the Queensland state capital and the third-largest city in Australia, Brisbane Airport handled more than 22 million travelers in 2018. Made up of two terminals, the airport hosts flights by more than 20 different airlines, with the largest number of flights provided by Qantas and Virgin Australia. Brisbane Airport is 87 km (54 miles) north of the Gold Coast and can be reached in about one hour.
- Sunshine Coast Airport: Also known as Maroochydore Airport and Marcoola Airport, it provides flights to and from a number of Australian destinations as well as Auckland in New Zealand. Located 190 km (122 miles) north of the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast Airport can be reached in about two hours with a large portion of the road taking you right along the ocean.
Useful city facts
- The Gold Coast has a hot and humid subtropical climate with relatively little temperature changes between seasons. The average high temperature is 29°C (84°F) in January and February, the warmest months, and 21°C (70°F) in July, the coldest. Precipitation is quite high throughout the year with an especial increase every February.
- Due to its picturesque location on the coast of the Pacific Ocean, many world-famous films have been shot on the Gold Coast (some of which are not even set in Australia). These include The Chronicles of Narnia in 2010, Pirates of the Caribbean in 2015, and Thor: Ragnarok in 2016.
- Inhabited for centuries by the indigenous Yugambeh people, the Gold Coast was settled by British arrivals in the 1870s. For decades, the city was actually known as the South Coast, noting its location in reference to Brisbane. It was renamed the Gold Coast in 1958 and received city rights the following year. Nowadays, the Gold Coast is the largest city in Australia that is not a state capital.
Top destinations and activities
- Surfers Paradise. The most famous area of the city, Surfers Paradise is, to many travelers, synonymous with the Gold Coast itself. Although the area has been heavily developed over the last decade - backpacker hostels and surfing schools now exist side by side with multi-story office buildings, nightclubs, and boutique shops - it still retains something of its original spirit and no visit to the Gold Coast is complete without spending some time here.
- Broadbeach. Also known as Kurrawa Beach, Broadbeach is just south of the city center. More tranquil and easygoing than its posh neighbor, it nonetheless features many of the same attractions, including restaurants, surf shops, and, of course, beautiful beaches.
- Currumbin Beach. A bit farther south - 26 km (16 miles) from the Gold Coast and can be reached in 40 minutes - Currumbin is, according to many, the most enjoyable beach of the Gold Coast. Lacking the crowds of tourists and much more popular with locals, it has surfing opportunities for beginners and veterans alike and offers a great view of the Gold Coast skyline in the distance. Currumbin is also home to the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, a beautiful and traveler-friendly nature preserve.
- Tamborine Mountain. Located only about a 40-minute drive inland from Gold Coast’s centre, Tamborine is one of the area’s most famous attractions for locals and tourists alike. A wide plateau that offers impressive views, the area is also home to the national park of the same name, the Witches Falls, and the scenic Tamborine Mountain Road.
Traffic and parking tips
- One of the largest road hazards in Australia is the wildlife. Take extra caution when driving in bad weather or after dark as this is when most of the collisions with wildlife take place.
- Mobile coverage is very rarely available outside of major highways and population centers, so take extra caution when traveling in rural areas.
- Another great risk when traveling off of the main highways is the heat. Temperatures can reach extremes very easily, especially during the summer months and in inland areas. Always stay properly hydrated and plan your route in advance to be able to supplement your water supplies.
- Laws concerning driving under the influence differ from territory to territory in Australia. In Queensland, the legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers and drivers with provisional licenses. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines and a driver’s license ban.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The nationwide emergency number in Australia is 000.
There are a number of toll roads in Australia, mainly in the states of New South Wales, Victoria, and Queensland.
Most toll roads in Australia use an open toll system with mainline barrier toll points. All toll roads in Australia use a cashless payment system. You can purchase a prepaid pass for most toll roads. Some rental cars in Australia are equipped with electronic transponders, the price of which may or may not be included in the rental price. Ask your car rental provider about it in advance.
Different toll roads are operated by different companies, so there is no nation-wide system in place.
For more information about the toll roads in the state of Queensland, visit the state’s official toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Scenic Rim. Made up of mountain ranges, nature reserves, and countless hiking paths, the Scenic Rim is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful places in Australia. The area is easily accessible by car from the Gold Coast and there are many amazing road trips that you can take - learn more about them on the official Scenic Rim tourism website.
- Lamington National Park. Part of the Scenic Rim but deserving special mention, Lamington National Park is home to cloud forests, high cliffs, impressive waterfalls, and the extinct Tweed Volcano. There are many hikes and treks you can take to explore the area as well as accommodation in guest houses and campsites. Lamington is home to many unique flora species, as well as wildlife like the Lamington crayfish, Coxen’s fig parrot, red-necked pademelon, and platypus. Located just 67 km (41 miles) southwest of the Gold Coast, the national park can be reached in 90 minutes.
- Brisbane. The state capital and the third-largest city in Australia, Brisbane is a truly modern metropolis. From the Queensland Maritime Museum to Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium, many botanic gardens, and the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, there are plenty of attractions After dark, a great place to visit is the Mount Coot-Tha lookout where you can enjoy stunning views of the city below. Located 79 km (49 miles) north of the Gold Coast, Brisbane can be reached in about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- North Stradbroke Island. A large island just off the coast of the mainland, North Stradbroke is best known for Point Lookout, a small settlement that is a great place for watching marine fauna like whales and dolphins. Equally interesting is Naree Budjong National Park which includes the famous Blue Lake, as well as opportunities for scuba diving with manta rays, bull rays, and leopard sharks. The trip from the Gold Coast takes about 2 hours and 30 minutes, and there are many accommodations available on the island. The island can only be accessed by ferry; some ferries permit taking a vehicle, while others don’t — so look this up in advance. Also, ask your rental car provider if they permit taking the rental on a ferry.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in the Gold Coast is the Nissan Micra, although many travelers also go for the Kia Rio and the Hyundai Accent. The most popular rental car types are compact, economy, and full size.
- Moreton Island. A large island just off Brisbane, Moreton is made up of impressive long beaches, freshwater lakes, cozy villages, water sports centers, and the Moreton Bay Marine Park. Plenty of unique animals and plants can be found on the island, and you can also go on a boat tour to watch humpback whales and other sea creatures from the island. There are a number of ferries going from the Port of Brisbane and Pinkenba in Brisbane and while you cannot bring a rental car, you can park at the port and pick it up again after coming up.
- Sunshine Coast. Currumbin Beach near the Gold Coast might feel like a relaxed beach spot, but to enjoy real tranquility drive north past Brisbane until you reach the Sunshine Coast. Stretching for more than 60 km (37 miles), it has plenty of hauntingly beautiful beaches that you’ll often have to share with just a few other people. Located 190 km (118 miles) north of the Gold Coast, the city can be reached in about two hours.
- The rest of Queensland. Most of the inhabitants of Queensland live in its southeastern corner where the big cities, including the Gold Coast and Brisbane, are located, but it takes up only a small portion of the state geographically. From the amazing Great Barrier Reef that you can access from many towns in the central portion of the state to tropical rainforests in the north and the Queensland outback away from the coast, there’s plenty more to Queensland. Visiting most of these destinations requires a lot of preparation and often the hiring of a tour guide, but getting to know the sparsely populated and wild part of Queensland can be truly rewarding.
Car Rental Prices in Gold Coast
- Medium cars - from $89 per day
- Small cars - from $94 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Follow these simple tips to get a great rental car in Queensland:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting the Gold Coast is the cheapest in March when renting a car is about 43% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 60% cheaper than renting a car in November.
Top 20 Cities near Gold Coast
Brisbane Car Rentals from $26.31 per day94.8 km / 58.9 miles away
Sydney Car Rentals from $30.01 per day671.3 km / 417.2 miles away
Ballina Car Rentals from $65.41 per day74.7 km / 46.4 miles away
Marcoola Car Rentals from $67.32 per day178.3 km / 110.8 miles away
Canberra Car Rentals from $39.03 per day892.4 km / 554.5 miles away
Surfers Paradise Car Rentals from $89.88 per day19.3 km / 12.0 miles away
Mackay Car Rentals from $43.97 per day891.7 km / 554.1 miles away
Proserpine Car Rentals from $37.51 per day989.8 km / 615.0 miles away
Newcastle Car Rentals from $34.57 per day539.2 km / 335.0 miles away
Lismore Car Rentals from $31.38 per day77.8 km / 48.3 miles away
Rockhampton Car Rentals from $32.60 per day612.3 km / 380.5 miles away
Coffs Harbour Car Rentals from $31.19 per day242.7 km / 150.8 miles away
Port Macquarie Car Rentals from $34.20 per day369.0 km / 229.3 miles away
Toowoomba Car Rentals from $69.58 per day170.6 km / 106.0 miles away
Gladstone Car Rentals from $32.60 per day529.2 km / 328.8 miles away
Hervey Bay Car Rentals from $31.04 per day322.4 km / 200.3 miles away
Bundaberg Car Rentals from $30.38 per day381.3 km / 236.9 miles away
Taree Car Rentals from $104.52 per day425.3 km / 264.2 miles away
Tamworth Car Rentals from $41.60 per day411.7 km / 255.8 miles away
Dubbo Car Rentals from $31.09 per day653.7 km / 406.2 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Gold Coast
Gold Coast Airport Car Rentals from $34.43 per day19.2 km / 11.9 miles away
Brisbane Archerfield Car Rentals from $62.12 per day63.2 km / 39.3 miles away
Brisbane Domestic Airport (BNET02) Car Rentals from $31.08 per day75.3 km / 46.8 miles away
Brisbane Airport Car Rentals from $26.31 per day75.6 km / 47.0 miles away
Brisbane Kippa Ring Car Rentals from $62.12 per day92.7 km / 57.6 miles away
Ballina Airport Car Rentals from $65.41 per day93.0 km / 57.8 miles away
Lismore Airport Car Rentals from $31.38 per day93.2 km / 57.9 miles away
Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport Car Rentals from $69.58 per day157.3 km / 97.8 miles away
Sunshine Coast Airport Car Rentals from $67.32 per day159.4 km / 99.1 miles away
Grafton Airport Car Rentals from $104.52 per day198.9 km / 123.6 miles away
Coffs Harbour Airport Car Rentals from $31.19 per day259.2 km / 161.1 miles away
Hervey Bay Airport Car Rentals from $31.04 per day303.7 km / 188.7 miles away
Armidale Airport Car Rentals from $30.10 per day331.0 km / 205.7 miles away
Bundaberg Airport Car Rentals from $30.38 per day362.2 km / 225.0 miles away
Port Macquarie Airport Car Rentals from $34.20 per day385.3 km / 239.4 miles away
Moree Airport Car Rentals from $33.97 per day386.2 km / 240.0 miles away
Tamworth Taminda Car Rentals from $41.60 per day421.7 km / 262.0 miles away
Tamworth Airport Car Rentals from $30.10 per day423.7 km / 263.3 miles away
Narrabri Airport Car Rentals from $33.97 per day434.0 km / 269.6 miles away
Taree Airport Car Rentals from $104.52 per day441.0 km / 274.0 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Gold Coast?
What’s the usual rental length in Gold Coast?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Gold Coast?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Bargain Car Rentals||Toyota Corolla||4||2||Large cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Hyundai Accent||5||2||Medium cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Nissan X-Trail||4||2||SUVs|
|EastCoast Car Rentals||Toyota Corolla Sedan||4||2||Large cars|
|EastCoast Car Rentals||Hyundai Accent||4||2||Medium cars|
|EastCoast Car Rentals||Suzuki Swift||4||2||Small cars|
|EastCoast Car Rentals||Hyundai Accent||2||4||Medium cars|
|EastCoast Car Rentals||Hyundai Accent||4||2||Medium cars|
|EastCoast Car Rentals||Hyundai Accent||5||1||Small cars|
|EastCoast Car Rentals||Kia Rio||3||1||Medium cars|