Car Rental in Townsville
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Townsville?
One of the main cities and regional centre of North Queensland, Townsville is best known for its nearby natural attractions. The cozy city of 180,000 souls offers access to the southern portions of one of the world’s natural wonders, the Great Barrier Reef, as well as the amazing Magnetic Island, the famous Outback and the northern Australian rainforest. There’s no need to be in a great rush to leave the city, though, as there’s also plenty of attractions inside its borders, such as heritage sites, beautiful public beaches, and lots of art and culture.
One-Way Car Rentals in Townsville
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Townsville and drop off in another city include:
- From Townsville to Cairns - 26 offers from $91.07 per day
- From Townsville to Sydney - 26 offers from $106.34 per day
Top ways to enter Townsville
- Townsville Airport. Serving about 1.6 million travelers every year, this cozy airport offers access to Australian metropolises like Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne, as well as more exotic and isolated destinations like Mackay, Toowoomba, and Palm Island. Located about 7 km (4.3 miles) west of the city center, the airport can be reached in ten minutes.
- Cairns Airport. The biggest airport of North Queensland, it serves plenty of domestic destinations, as well as flights to and from China, Singapore, Indonesia, Japan, and Papua New-Guinea. Located some 350 km (217 miles) north of Townsville, the trip between the two takes about four and a half hours, and most of the drive takes you near the coast, passing attractions like Mission Beach and Hinchinbrook Island along the way.
Top destinations and activities
- Museums. Despite its relatively small size, Townsville has a decent amount of interesting museums. The standout amongst them is the Museum of Tropical Queensland with its impressive collections of corals, other marine flora and fauna, and artifacts from the wreck of the famous HMS Pandora. Others include the Army Museum of North Queensland, the Maritime Museum (located in the Townsville Harbour area), and the Rolling Stone Park Museum and community markets.
- The Strand. One of the most famous city beaches in Australia, the Strand is characterized by its golden sands, surrounding gardens, impressive views, and relaxed atmosphere. The ocean is generally very calm here and safe to swim in at many places along it. Located in the suburb of North Ward, The Strand can be easily accessed from anywhere in the city.
- Reef HQ. While many trips and tours to the Great Barrier Reef depart from Townsville, the first impression of that unique ecosystem can be gained without leaving the city. An impressive aquarium, the Reef HQ has not only corals, but also other mesmerizing ocean dwellers like sea cucumbers, urchins, and stars. Other sections of the aquarium house the impressive blacktip reef and leopard sharks, as well as the Turtle Hospital dedicated to the recovery of injured marine animals. Visit Reef HQ’s official website to learn more about opening hours, tickets, and the conservation efforts of the center.
- Magnetic Island. A stunning tropical island located just a short 40-minute car ferry away from Townsville. “Maggie” as locals call it, is known for its crystal clear waters, abundant wildlife, and secluded bays. This is often recommended as a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Townsville. Find out more in this great guide to Magnetic Island.
Traffic and parking
- As a moderately sized Australian city, traffic congestion is generally not as severe as in larger cities like Sydney or Brisbane. The road network is also well maintained.
- There is free and paid parking available in the city. Generally, the free parking is found a few streets back from the Strand. There are plenty of spots usually available near the Ross River, within walking idstance of the main attract
- One of the largest road hazards in Australia is the wildlife. Take extra caution when driving in bad weather or after dark as this is when most of the collisions with wildlife take place.
- Mobile coverage is very rarely available outside of major highways and population centers, so take extra caution when traveling in rural areas.
- Another great risk when traveling outside of main highways is the heat. The temperatures can reach extremes very easily, especially during the summer months and in inland areas. Always stay properly hydrated and plan your route in advance to be able to supplement your water supplies.
- Laws concerning driving under the influence differ from territory to territory in Australia. In Queensland, the legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers and drivers with provisional licenses. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines and a driver license ban.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The primary, nationwide emergency number in Australia is 000.
There are a number of toll roads in Australia, mainly in the states of New South Wales, Victoria, and Queensland. In New South Wales, there are nine currently active toll roads, which is more than in the rest of the country combined.
Most toll roads in Australia use an open toll system with mainline barrier toll points. All toll roads in Australia use a cashless payment system. You can purchase a prepaid pass for most toll roads. Some rental cars in Australia are equipped with electronic transponders, the price of which may or may not be included in the rental price. Ask your car rental provider about it in advance.
Different toll roads are operated by different companies, so there is no nation-wide fee system in place.
The main freeway bypassing Townsville is called the Townsville Ring Road, which forms the new A1 motorway connecting the southern Queensland cities to Cairns. This is a toll-free road, and tolls in general are not found in the Townsville region.
For more information about the toll roads in the state of Queensland, visit the state’s toll road website.
Car Rental Prices in Townsville
- Large cars - from $34 per day
- Medium cars - from $29 per day
- Vans - from $86 per day
- Small cars - from $29 per day
- SUVs - from $31 per day
Top 20 Cities near Townsville
Proserpine Car Rentals from $80.62 per day231.6 km / 143.9 miles away
Cairns Car Rentals from $24.54 per day284.3 km / 176.7 miles away
Mackay Car Rentals from $56.33 per day329.9 km / 205.0 miles away
Port Douglas Car Rentals from $58.91 per day337.4 km / 209.7 miles away
Rockhampton Car Rentals from $52.20 per day598.3 km / 371.8 miles away
Gladstone Car Rentals from $55.90 per day689.6 km / 428.5 miles away
Mount Isa Car Rentals from $39.26 per day776.4 km / 482.4 miles away
Bundaberg Car Rentals from $45.95 per day849.3 km / 527.7 miles away
Hervey Bay Car Rentals from $55.19 per day921.8 km / 572.8 miles away
Noosa Heads Car Rentals from $73.88 per day1024.8 km / 636.8 miles away
Marcoola Car Rentals from $17.25 per day1042.2 km / 647.6 miles away
Toowoomba Car Rentals from $36.10 per day1063.4 km / 660.8 miles away
Brisbane Car Rentals from $24.59 per day1112.0 km / 691.0 miles away
Ipswich Car Rentals from $50.51 per day1113.5 km / 691.9 miles away
Surfers Paradise Car Rentals from $22.55 per day1185.6 km / 736.7 miles away
Gold Coast Car Rentals from $19.83 per day1204.4 km / 748.4 miles away
Ballina Car Rentals from $59.25 per day1268.4 km / 788.1 miles away
Armidale Car Rentals from $30.83 per day1345.2 km / 835.9 miles away
1369.3 km / 850.8 miles away
Tamworth Car Rentals from $35.84 per day1377.7 km / 856.1 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Townsville
Townsville Airport Car Rentals from $29.15 per day
Whitsunday Coast Airport Car Rentals from $80.62 per day231.6 km / 143.9 miles away
Cairns Airport Car Rentals from $24.54 per day284.3 km / 176.7 miles away
Mackay Airport Car Rentals from $57.11 per day329.9 km / 205.0 miles away
Rockhampton Airport Car Rentals from $52.20 per day598.3 km / 371.8 miles away
Gladstone Airport Car Rentals from $55.90 per day689.6 km / 428.5 miles away
Bundaberg Downtown Car Rentals from $45.95 per day848.4 km / 527.2 miles away
Bundaberg Airport Car Rentals from $50.41 per day849.3 km / 527.7 miles away
Hervey Bay Downtown Car Rentals from $55.19 per day911.2 km / 566.2 miles away
Hervey Bay Airport Car Rentals from $61.84 per day921.8 km / 572.8 miles away
Sunshine Coast Airport Car Rentals from $17.25 per day1042.2 km / 647.6 miles away
Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport Car Rentals from $37.49 per day1060.6 km / 659.0 miles away
Brisbane Brendale Car Rentals from $50.51 per day1097.9 km / 682.2 miles away
Brisbane Airport Car Rentals from $24.59 per day1112.0 km / 691.0 miles away
Brisbane Ascot Car Rentals from $37.44 per day1113.4 km / 691.8 miles away
Brisbane Fortitude Valley Car Rentals from $65.94 per day1113.7 km / 692.0 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $35.63 per day1113.8 km / 692.1 miles away
Brisbane Tingalpa Car Rentals from $43.72 per day1118.4 km / 694.9 miles away
Brisbane Rocklea Car Rentals from $53.54 per day1120.7 km / 696.4 miles away
Brisbane Archerfield Car Rentals from $50.91 per day1122.6 km / 697.6 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Townsville?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Townsville?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Townsville?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||2|
|Popular suppliers||Alamo, Europcar, Bargain Car Rentals, SIXT, Thrifty|
|Popular car categories||SUVs, Medium cars, Large cars, Small cars|
|Lowest price||$29 per day|
|Cheapest supplier||Bargain Car Rentals|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Alamo||MG 3||4||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Hyundai i30||5||2||Large cars|
|Alamo||Toyota Yaris||4||2||Medium cars|
|Europcar||Ford Puma||5||2||Large cars|
|Europcar||MG 3||4||2||Medium cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Hyundai Accent||4||2||Medium cars|
|Europcar||Suzuki Baleno||4||2||Large cars|
|Dollar||Hyundai Grand i10 Sedan||4||2||Medium cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.