Car Rental in Townsville
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Townsville?
One of the main cities of northern Queensland, Townsville is best known for its natural attractions. The cozy city of 180,000 souls offers access to the southern portions of one of the world’s natural wonders, the Great Barrier Reef, as well as the famous Outback and northern Australian rainforest. There’s no need to be in a great rush to leave the city, though, as there’s also plenty of attractions inside its borders, such as heritage sites, beautiful public beaches, and lots of art and culture.
One-Way Car Rentals in Townsville
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Townsville and drop off in another city include:
- From Townsville to Cairns - 26 offers from $90.46 per day
- From Townsville to Sydney - 26 offers from $105.63 per day
Top ways to enter Townsville
- Townsville Airport. Serving about 1.6 million travelers every year, this cozy airport offers access to Australian metropolises like Sydney, Brisbane, and Melbourne, as well as more exotic and isolated destinations like Mackay, Toowoomba, and Palm Island. Located about 7 km (4.3 miles) west of the city center, the airport can be reached in ten minutes.
- Cairns Airport. The biggest airport of North Queensland, it serves plenty of domestic destinations, as well as flights to and from China, Singapore, Indonesia, Japan, and Papua New-Guinea. Located some 350 km (217 miles) north of Townsville, the trip between the two takes about four and a half hours, and most of the drive takes you along or near the coast.
Top destinations and activities
- Museums. Despite its relatively small size, Townsville has a decent amount of interesting museums. The standout amongst them is the Museum of Tropical Queensland with its impressive collections of corals, other marine flora and fauna, and artifacts from the wreck of the famous HMS Pandora. Others include the Army Museum of North Queensland, the Maritime Museum (located in the Townsville Harbour area), and the Rolling Stone Park Museum and community markets.
- The Strand. One of the most famous city beaches in Australia, the Strand is characterized by its golden sands, surrounding gardens, impressive views, and relaxed atmosphere. The ocean is generally very calm here and safe to swim in at many places along it. Located in the suburb of North Ward, The Strand can be easily accessed from anywhere in the city.
- Reef HQ. While many trips and tours to the Great Barrier Reef depart from Townsville, the first impression of that unique ecosystem can be gained without leaving the city. An impressive aquarium, the Reef HQ has not only corals, but also other mesmerizing ocean dwellers like sea cucumbers, urchins, and stars. Other sections of the aquarium house the impressive blacktip reef and leopard sharks, as well as the Turtle Hospital dedicated to the recovery of injured marine animals. Visit Reef HQ’s official website to learn more about opening hours, tickets, and the conservation efforts of the center.
Traffic and parking
- One of the largest road hazards in Australia is the wildlife. Take extra caution when driving in bad weather or after dark as this is when most of the collisions with wildlife take place.
- Mobile coverage is very rarely available outside of major highways and population centers, so take extra caution when traveling in rural areas.
- Another great risk when traveling outside of main highways is the heat. The temperatures can reach extremes very easily, especially during the summer months and in inland areas. Always stay properly hydrated and plan your route in advance to be able to supplement your water supplies.
- Laws concerning driving under the influence differ from territory to territory in Australia. In Queensland, the legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers and drivers with provisional licenses. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines and a driver license ban.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The primary, nationwide emergency number in Australia is 000.
There are a number of toll roads in Australia, mainly in the states of New South Wales, Victoria, and Queensland. In New South Wales, there are nine currently active toll roads, which is more than in the rest of the country combined.
Most toll roads in Australia use an open toll system with mainline barrier toll points. All toll roads in Australia use a cashless payment system. You can purchase a prepaid pass for most toll roads. Some rental cars in Australia are equipped with electronic transponders, the price of which may or may not be included in the rental price. Ask your car rental provider about it in advance.
Different toll roads are operated by different companies, so there is no nation-wide fee system in place.
For more information about the toll roads in the state of Queensland, visit the state’s toll road website.
Car Rental Prices in Townsville
- Large cars - from $90 per day
- Medium cars - from $67 per day
- Small cars - from $38 per day
- SUVs - from $189 per day
Top 13 Cities near Townsville
Cairns Car Rentals from $76.44 per day286.6 km / 178.1 miles away
Proserpine Car Rentals from $103.69 per day230.5 km / 143.2 miles away
Mackay Car Rentals from $84.61 per day328.6 km / 204.2 miles away
Hervey Bay Car Rentals from $41.80 per day920.5 km / 572.0 miles away
Rockhampton Car Rentals from $38.68 per day597.0 km / 370.9 miles away
Bundaberg Car Rentals from $39.46 per day848.1 km / 527.0 miles away
688.4 km / 427.8 miles away
Emerald Car Rentals from $53.72 per day500.1 km / 310.7 miles away
960.2 km / 596.6 miles away
Mount Isa Car Rentals from $39.95 per day776.7 km / 482.6 miles away
Port Douglas Car Rentals from $72.38 per day338.7 km / 210.5 miles away
Thangool Car Rentals from $176.16 per day701.0 km / 435.6 miles away
Moranbah Car Rentals from $165.28 per day339.1 km / 210.7 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Townsville
Townsville Airport Car Rentals from $76.44 per day1.3 km / 0.8 miles away
Whitsunday Coast Airport Car Rentals from $103.69 per day230.5 km / 143.2 miles away
Cairns Airport Car Rentals from $35.03 per day285.6 km / 177.4 miles away
Cairns Domestic Airport (CNST02) Car Rentals from $76.44 per day286.6 km / 178.1 miles away
Mackay Airport Car Rentals from $84.61 per day328.6 km / 204.2 miles away
Emerald Airport Car Rentals from $53.72 per day500.1 km / 310.7 miles away
Rockhampton Airport Car Rentals from $38.68 per day597.0 km / 370.9 miles away
Gladstone Airport Car Rentals from $74.75 per day688.3 km / 427.7 miles away
Mount Isa Airport Car Rentals from $39.95 per day776.7 km / 482.6 miles away
Bundaberg Airport Car Rentals from $39.46 per day848.1 km / 527.0 miles away
Hervey Bay Airport Car Rentals from $41.80 per day920.5 km / 572.0 miles away
Sunshine Coast Airport Car Rentals from $23.37 per day1040.9 km / 646.8 miles away
Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport Car Rentals from $43.45 per day1059.3 km / 658.2 miles away
Brisbane Brendale Car Rentals from $104.74 per day1096.6 km / 681.4 miles away
Brisbane Airport Car Rentals from $47.66 per day1110.7 km / 690.1 miles away
Brisbane Domestic Airport (BNET02) Car Rentals from $98.36 per day1111.0 km / 690.3 miles away
Brisbane Ascot Car Rentals from $98.58 per day1112.1 km / 691.0 miles away
Brisbane Fortitude Valley Car Rentals from $58.07 per day1112.4 km / 691.2 miles away
Brisbane Tingalpa Car Rentals from $51.13 per day1117.1 km / 694.1 miles away
Brisbane Rocklea Car Rentals from $51.13 per day1119.3 km / 695.5 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Townsville?
What’s the usual rental length in Townsville?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Townsville?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Alamo||Hyundai i30||5||2||Large cars|
|Alamo||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Toyota Yaris||4||2||Medium cars|
|Europcar||Hyundai i30||5||2||Large cars|
|SIXT||Toyota Yaris||5||Small cars|
|SIXT||Toyota Corolla Hatch||5||2||Large cars|
|Avis||Toyota Corolla||4||1||Large cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.