Car Rental in Canberra
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Canberra?
The capital of Australia, Canberra is usually thought of as a political center instead of a travel destination. But, despite its location in the country’s interior and lower tourist profile, the city has a surprising amount of things to see and do such as interesting museums, governmental buildings, and scenic views from the surrounding hills. Getting a rental car will also give you access to some of the nature preserves that are a relatively short drive from Canberra.
One-Way Car Rentals in Canberra
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Canberra and drop off in another city include:
- From Canberra to Sydney - 8 offers from $67.23 per day
Top ways to enter Canberra
Canberra Airport. The main airport of the Australian Capital Territory and the eighth-busiest in the country, it handles more than three million travelers every year. In addition to flights to all of the other large Australian cities, there are also direct flights to and from Qatar, offering convenient connections with tens of destinations in the Middle East and Europe.
Top destinations and activities
- Parliamentary Triangle. This is the area home to Australia’s Parliament House, High Court, and other important legislative and judicial institutions. While some of these buildings can only be viewed from outside, others offer tours — for example, the old parliament house has been turned into the Museum of Australian Democracy. This area of the city is also home to the National Gallery of Australia, National Portrait Gallery, Questacon science and technology center, and other attractions.
- National Film & Sound Archive. One of the most interesting cultural institutions in the country, this museum hosts an impressive amount of TV, radio, cinema, gaming, and digital art recordings. While it’s impossible to get familiar with all of the stored material — that would literally take millennia — going on a self-guided tour is a fun experience. The archive also frequently hosts exhibitions and film screenings.
- Australian National Botanic Gardens. While Canberra is near a number of nature reserves and national parks, nature can also be enjoyed without leaving the capital city at the National Botanic Gardens. Home to the world’s largest collection of living Australian flora, the gardens are a great place to enjoy a day among the greenery or visit one of the events or concerts that take place there. Other interesting nature-related attractions in Canberra include the National Arboretum, National Zoo and Aquarium, and Canberra Reptile Zoo.
Traffic and parking
- One of the largest road hazards in Australia is wildlife. Take extra caution when driving in bad weather or after dark as this is when most of the collisions with wildlife take place.
- Mobile coverage is very rarely available outside of major highways and population centers, so take extra caution when traveling in rural areas.
- Another great risk when traveling outside of main highways is the heat. The temperatures can reach extremes very easily, especially during the summer months and in inland areas. Always stay properly hydrated and plan your route in advance to be able to supplement your water supplies.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The primary, nationwide emergency number in Australia is 000.
Ideas for day trips
- Namadgi National Park. One of the several national parks surrounding the Australian capital, Namadgi is known for its impressive peaks, eucalyptus growths, and highland meadows and fens. The area is also home to a variety of wildlife like several species of kangaroos and wombats, as well as various birds. Unfortunately, during the last few years, the area has experienced several wildfires, so make sure to look up a forecast if you’re visiting during the warmer months of the year (roughly from December to March). The drive from the center of Canberra to Namagdi takes about an hour.
- Snowy Mountains. Home to the highest peaks of mainland Australia, the Snowies are the best place in the country to get on skis or a snowboard and enjoy a wild ride down the slope. The Australian winter lasts roughly from June to October; in warmer weather, the area is a prime hiking destination. The drive from Canberra takes about 2 hours and 30 minutes, so while it is possible to visit the area on a day trip, set aside two or three days if you can.
- Batemans Bay. Unlike most other large Australian cities, Canberra is not on the coast, but its inland location doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the ocean during your visit. The closest beach town is Batemans Bay, a small and cozy place known for its scenic beaches, many water sports opportunities, and access to the neighboring Clyde River, Deua, and Monga National parks. The drive from Canberra takes about two hours.
Car Rental Prices in Canberra
- Large cars - from $137 per day
- Medium cars - from $118 per day
- Small cars - from $123 per day
- SUVs - from $132 per day
Top 20 Cities near Canberra
Sydney Car Rentals from $51.90 per day239.2 km / 148.6 miles away
Melbourne Car Rentals from $54.89 per day466.6 km / 289.9 miles away
Brisbane Car Rentals from $33.12 per day955.7 km / 593.9 miles away
Adelaide Car Rentals from $52.67 per day964.3 km / 599.2 miles away
Hobart Car Rentals from $48.62 per day851.9 km / 529.4 miles away
Gold Coast Car Rentals from $32.91 per day892.4 km / 554.5 miles away
Newcastle Car Rentals from $26.50 per day357.1 km / 221.9 miles away
Avalon Car Rentals from $94.10 per day516.6 km / 321.0 miles away
Launceston Car Rentals from $37.74 per day716.5 km / 445.2 miles away
Surfers Paradise Car Rentals from $57.15 per day905.2 km / 562.5 miles away
Ballina Car Rentals from $57.39 per day829.2 km / 515.2 miles away
Coffs Harbour Car Rentals from $90.80 per day665.3 km / 413.4 miles away
Albury Car Rentals from $53.50 per day214.8 km / 133.5 miles away
Devonport Car Rentals from $43.93 per day696.2 km / 432.6 miles away
Toowoomba Car Rentals from $37.15 per day899.8 km / 559.1 miles away
Port Macquarie Car Rentals from $44.97 per day550.2 km / 341.9 miles away
Wollongong Car Rentals from $23.37 per day187.4 km / 116.5 miles away
Mildura Car Rentals from $33.59 per day653.8 km / 406.2 miles away
Dubbo Car Rentals from $42.69 per day344.2 km / 213.9 miles away
Wagga Wagga Car Rentals from $39.11 per day152.0 km / 94.4 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Canberra
Canberra Airport Car Rentals from $45.81 per day6.8 km / 4.3 miles away
Wagga Wagga Airport Car Rentals from $39.11 per day152.0 km / 94.4 miles away
Wollongong Unanderra Car Rentals from $57.31 per day181.3 km / 112.7 miles away
Merimbula Airport Car Rentals from $32.59 per day194.2 km / 120.7 miles away
Sydney Campbelltown Car Rentals from $40.80 per day205.0 km / 127.4 miles away
Albury Airport Car Rentals from $53.50 per day214.8 km / 133.5 miles away
Sydney Penrith Car Rentals from $57.31 per day222.0 km / 138.0 miles away
Sydney Liverpool Car Rentals from $57.31 per day222.1 km / 138.0 miles away
Sydney Revesby Car Rentals from $57.31 per day227.7 km / 141.5 miles away
Sydney Smithfield Car Rentals from $57.31 per day229.4 km / 142.6 miles away
Sydney Carlton Car Rentals from $57.31 per day232.1 km / 144.2 miles away
Sydney Parramatta Car Rentals from $57.31 per day235.7 km / 146.5 miles away
Sydney Airport Car Rentals from $51.90 per day239.2 km / 148.6 miles away
Sydney Domestic Airport (SYDT02) Car Rentals from $75.60 per day240.0 km / 149.1 miles away
Sydney Alexandria Car Rentals from $61.31 per day241.5 km / 150.0 miles away
Sydney Castle Hill Car Rentals from $57.31 per day242.7 km / 150.8 miles away
Sydney East Car Rentals from $72.87 per day249.0 km / 154.7 miles away
Sydney Artarmon Car Rentals from $51.90 per day249.3 km / 154.9 miles away
Sydney Hornsby Car Rentals from $70.27 per day251.8 km / 156.5 miles away
Griffith Airport Car Rentals from $56.31 per day302.0 km / 187.7 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Canberra?
What’s the usual rental length in Canberra?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Canberra?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||4|
|Popular suppliers||SIXT, Alamo, Europcar, National, Hertz|
|Popular car categories||SUVs, Medium cars, Large cars, Small cars|
|Lowest price||$27 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|SIXT||Mitsubishi Outlander Aut.||5||3||SUVs|
|SIXT||MG HS Aut.||5||3||SUVs|
|Alamo||Toyota Yaris||4||2||Medium cars|
|Alamo||Hyundai i30||5||2||Large cars|
|SIXT||Toyota Yaris||5||Small cars|
|Alamo||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
|National||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.