Car Rental in Ballina
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Ballina?
Located near the border between New South Wales and Queensland, flying into Ballina is the perfect kick-off point for a road trip through the beautiful Northern Rivers area, and beyond. A region famous for its splendid coastline, relaxed beach villages, great surf, countless waterfalls, and boundless natural beauty, there is plenty to explore. With a rental car, a number of other destinations like Brisbane and famous national parks are also within your reach.
One-Way Car Rentals in Ballina
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Ballina and drop off in another city include:
- From Ballina to Sydney - 7 offers from $66.15 per day
- From Ballina to Gold Coast - 7 offers from $60.19 per day
Top ways to enter Ballina
- Ballina Airport: Also known as Byron Gateway Airport, it serves about 300,000 travelers every year. The airport offers flights to and from some of the largest Australian cities like Melbourne, Sydney, and Canberra. The airport is located just west of Ballina center.
- Lismore Airport: Another small and regional airport, it serves the largest settlement of the Northern Rivers. The airport hosts flights to and from Sydney, as well as a couple of regional destinations. Lismore Airport is about 40 km (25 miles) west of Ballina and can be reached in 40 minutes.
- Gold Coast Airport: Serving the famous beach destinations the Gold Coast and Surfers Paradise, this international airport offers flights by nine different airlines and serves both domestic and international routes. Located about 88 km (55 miles) north of Ballina, it can be reached in one hour.
- Brisbane Airport: By far the largest ariport in Queensland and the third-busiest in Australia, Brisbane Airport handles more than 20 million passengers every year. In addition to many domestic flights, the airport also provides connections with destinations in Oceania, South and East Asia, the Middle East, and North America. Located 195 km (121 miles) north of Ballina, the airport can be reached in two hours and ten minutes.
Top destinations and activities
- Byron Bay. The main settlement of the Northern Rivers, Byron Bay receives a whopping 1.7 million visitors every year, nearly 60 times the amount of its permanent residents. While some feel the town has become too crowded and look for more relaxed alternatives in coastal villages up and down the coast, Byron Bay remains an amazing place to visit. While in Byron Bay, challenge yourself on a surfboard, watch whales, hike up to the iconic lighthouse, kayak alongside plentiful marine life, visit the town’s many delicious cafés and restaurants, go bar hopping, or simply soak up the sun. Just off the Byron’s coast, you’ll also find Julian Rocks Nature Reserve, one of the best dive sites in all of Australia.
- Lennox Head. Located just 20 km (12 miles) south of Byron Bay and 15 km (9 miles) north of Ballina, Lennox Head is another beloved beach destination. Famous for its stunning coastline and many restaurants and bars, the area is also home to an official national surfing reserve, beautiful reefs, and some of the best snorkeling in all of Australia.
- Mount Warning National Park. Its name might sound ominous to some — it is named after the world’s largest extinct shield volcano — but Mount Warning National Park is one the most scenic areas in the Northern Rivers region. Located just over an hour’s drive north of Ballina, the park’s hiking trails weave through a tropical highland landscape with a truly primeval atmosphere. While at the national park, pay a visit to the World Heritage Rainforest Centre to learn more about the ecosystem around you. If you’re keen, the most popular activity is to hike Mount Warning in the early morning, to watch the sun rise from the peak. Other nature areas near Ballina include Mount Jerusalem, Nightcap, and Richmond Range National Parks.
Traffic and parking
- One of the largest road hazards in Australia are the wildlife, especially outside cities and towns. Take extra caution when driving in bad weather, at dawn, dusk, and after dark, as this is when most of the collisions with wildlife - such as kangaroos - take place.
- Mobile coverage is very rarely available outside of major highways and population centers, so take extra caution when traveling in nature areas.
- Another great risk when traveling outside of main highways is the heat. The temperatures can reach extremes very easily, especially during the summer months and in inland areas. Always stay properly hydrated and set out your route in advance to be able to supplement your water supplies. It’s also a good idea to bring food, water and other survival supplies with you, just in case.
- Driving under influence laws differ from territory to territory in Australia. In New South Wales, the legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers and drivers with provisional licences. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines and a driver licence ban.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The primary, nationwide emergency number in Australia is 000. The New South Wales Poisons Information Centre number is 131 126.
There are a number of toll roads in Australia, mainly in the states of New South Wales, Victoria, and Queensland. In New South Wales, there are nine currently active toll roads, which is more than in the rest of the country combined.
Most toll roads in Australia use an “open toll system” with mainline barrier toll points. All toll roads in Australia use a cashless payment system. You can purchase a prepaid pass for most toll roads. Some rental cars in Australia are equipped with an electronic toll transponder, the price of which is usually included in the rental price. Ask your car rental supplier about it in advance.
Different toll roads are operated by different companies, so there is no nationwide fee system in place.
Car Rental Prices in Ballina
- Large cars - from $76 per day
- Medium cars - from $64 per day
- Vans - from $89 per day
- Small cars - from $69 per day
- SUVs - from $64 per day
Top 20 Cities near Ballina
Gold Coast Car Rentals from $19.86 per day74.7 km / 46.4 miles away
Surfers Paradise Car Rentals from $19.86 per day93.2 km / 57.9 miles away
Ipswich Car Rentals from $75.05 per day155.4 km / 96.6 miles away
Brisbane Car Rentals from $25.36 per day167.0 km / 103.8 miles away
Coffs Harbour Car Rentals from $29.32 per day170.8 km / 106.1 miles away
Toowoomba Car Rentals from $35.27 per day215.8 km / 134.1 miles away
Marcoola Car Rentals from $25.42 per day252.3 km / 156.8 miles away
Armidale Car Rentals from $31.02 per day266.1 km / 165.3 miles away
Noosa Heads Car Rentals from $50.37 per day274.7 km / 170.7 miles away
Port Macquarie Car Rentals from $39.50 per day297.0 km / 184.5 miles away
Taree Car Rentals from $57.19 per day354.6 km / 220.3 miles away
Tamworth Car Rentals from $32.36 per day361.9 km / 224.9 miles away
Hervey Bay Car Rentals from $39.38 per day396.6 km / 246.4 miles away
Bundaberg Car Rentals from $20.29 per day454.1 km / 282.2 miles away
Newcastle Car Rentals from $31.79 per day470.3 km / 292.2 miles away
Singleton Car Rentals from $34.51 per day473.9 km / 294.5 miles away
Maitland Car Rentals from $50.99 per day474.8 km / 295.0 miles away
Tuggerah Car Rentals from $56.49 per day537.0 km / 333.7 miles away
Gladstone Car Rentals from $62.85 per day599.2 km / 372.3 miles away
Dubbo Car Rentals from $32.51 per day607.9 km / 377.7 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Ballina
Ballina Airport Car Rentals from $58.74 per day
Gold Coast Airport Car Rentals from $19.86 per day74.7 km / 46.4 miles away
Brisbane Archerfield Car Rentals from $65.02 per day150.5 km / 93.5 miles away
Brisbane Rocklea Car Rentals from $30.58 per day152.1 km / 94.5 miles away
Brisbane Tingalpa Car Rentals from $28.71 per day156.9 km / 97.5 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $30.15 per day161.1 km / 100.1 miles away
Brisbane Fortitude Valley Car Rentals from $35.71 per day161.3 km / 100.2 miles away
Brisbane Ascot Car Rentals from $31.02 per day163.4 km / 101.5 miles away
Brisbane Airport Car Rentals from $25.36 per day167.0 km / 103.8 miles away
Coffs Harbour Airport Car Rentals from $29.32 per day170.8 km / 106.1 miles away
Brisbane Brendale Car Rentals from $75.05 per day178.0 km / 110.6 miles away
Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport Car Rentals from $42.06 per day215.8 km / 134.1 miles away
Sunshine Coast Airport Car Rentals from $25.42 per day252.3 km / 156.8 miles away
Armidale Airport Car Rentals from $33.43 per day266.1 km / 165.3 miles away
Port Macquarie Airport Car Rentals from $39.50 per day297.0 km / 184.5 miles away
Taree Airport Car Rentals from $57.19 per day354.6 km / 220.3 miles away
Tamworth Airport Car Rentals from $34.30 per day361.9 km / 224.9 miles away
Hervey Bay Airport Car Rentals from $39.38 per day396.6 km / 246.4 miles away
Hervey Bay Downtown Car Rentals from $41.13 per day402.4 km / 250.0 miles away
Bundaberg Airport Car Rentals from $22.33 per day454.1 km / 282.2 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Ballina?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Ballina?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Ballina?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||2|
|Popular suppliers||SIXT, Europcar, Thrifty, Hertz, Dollar|
|Popular car categories||SUVs, Medium cars, Large cars, Small cars|
|Lowest price||$59 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|SIXT||MG HS Aut.||5||3||SUVs|
|Europcar||MG 3||4||2||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Toyota Yaris||5||0||Small cars|
|SIXT||Kia Rio||4||2||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Toyota Corolla Hatch||5||2||Large cars|
|SIXT||Kia Cerato Aut.||5||3||Large cars|
|SIXT||Hyundai Kona||5||2||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Mitsubishi Outlander Aut.||5||3||SUVs|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.