Car Rental in Bordeaux
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Bordeaux?
Bordeaux is a great place to explore by car. Not only an interesting city in its own right, it is also the capital of the Nouvelle-Aquitaine province, the center of the Bordeaux wine region, and the best access point for much of the Southwestern France.
One-Way Car Rentals in Bordeaux
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Bordeaux and drop off in another city include:
- From Bordeaux to Nice - 72 offers from $31.76 per day
- From Bordeaux to Toulouse - 95 offers from $28.33 per day
- From Bordeaux to Marseille - 123 offers from $31.76 per day
- From Bordeaux to Bilbao - 11 offers from $177.68 per day
- From Bordeaux to Saint Brieuc - 10 offers from $78.40 per day
Top ways to enter Bordeaux
- Bordeaux Airport: Located close to the city center, Bordeaux Airport serves flights to and from many destinations in Europe, as well as in North Africa, the Middle East, and the North America.
- Bergerac Airport: About an hour and a half’s drive away from Bordeaux, this regional airport mainly hosts flights to the United Kingdom, as well as to Rotterdam in the Netherlands.
- Public transportation: If you arrive in Bordeaux by train, it is convenient to pick up a rental in Bordeaux Train Station.
- The main language of Bordeaux is, like elsewhere in the country, French. The knowledge of English varies, but many people working in the service industry speak it.
- Bordeaux enjoys hot summers, but winters can get cold at times because of winds coming from the Atlantic. January, the coldest month, has the average temperature of 6.6 °C (43.9 °F), while the mean temperature in the warmest month, August, is 21.4 °C (70.5 °F).
Top destinations and activities
- Les Quais. Also known as the "Port of the Moon", walking the quay along the Gironde river is the best way to see Bordeaux city center and pass some of its famous attractions.
- Musee D'Aquitaine. This museum lets you travel through the area’s history, from relics dating back 25,000 years to Gall-Roman era, medieval times and present day.
- Place de la Bourse. Bordeaux’s iconic main square is lined with impressive buildings, cafes, shops, fountains, and the very cool “Miroir d’Eau,” the water mirror that gives a lovely reflection of the square, especially at night.
- The Museum of Bordeaux Wine and Trade. This unique museum is the best place to learn about Bordeaux’s main industry and its origins, old trade routes, wine-making techniques, and present state.
- Bordeaux Cathedral. Also known as the Primatial Cathedral of St. Andrew, this is the most important — and probably the most impressive — religious building in Bordeaux. Dating back to at least the 9th century (the year it was built is still uncertain), the church was initially constructed in the Romanesque style, but later renovations added a significant Gothic element to its look. Notable for its nave, the cathedral is as impressive from the inside as it is from the outside.
- This is just a taste of things you to do in Bordeaux — you can find even more in this guide to Bordeaux.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h. Unlike with inter-city roads, the urban speed limit is unaffected by weather.
- Outside cities, as of July 2018 the speed limit depends on the type of the road. Highways are limited to 130 km/h, 4-lane expressways to 110 km/h, and 2- or 3- lane roads to 80 or 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- As of 2018, hands-free mobile phone use is banned in France and the fines are hefty.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the main highways in France (autoroute in French) are toll roads. Their names start with letter A and you can recognize them by a red number sign. The fare for taking a toll road depends on the specific route, the distance length, as well as the type of your vehicle - trailer cars and caravans have to pay more than regular cars. You can pay by a credit card or by cash. You’ll be given a ticket that you have to keep while on the toll road.
Some rental cars are equipped with toll road transporters and can use the automatic toll road payment booths (Télépéage). Ask your rental car provider to find out if they offer cars with toll road transporters.
See the official French toll road website for more information. Use the website's toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for day trips
- Wine tour. There are many organized tours that you can join, but having your own car lets you explore the nearby villages, vineyards, and chateaus by yourself. The Medoc region is perhaps the best place to start, with famous places such as Château Lafite Rothschild, Chateau Latour, Château Margaux, and Chateau Mouton Rothschild all in close proximity to one another. If you were the designated driver for a visit to Medoc, don’t despair - you can switch places with your travel companion and pay a visit to the Graves region, which has some of the oldest vineyards in all of the Bordeaux area.
- Atlantic Coast. Bordeaux is located very near the Atlantic Coast, and there are many interesting places you can visit. The nearby town of Arcachon is famous for its oysters, but the nearby villages are just as charming. If you’re up for a longer trip, go all the way south to Bayonne and Biarritz, places that offer some of the best surfing in the whole of Europe.
- Saint-Emilion. Historically inhabited by the Romans and hermit monks, this small village is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Notable for its ancient sites and beautiful churches, Saint-Emilion is also one of the main wine destinations in the region — the winemaking traditions here are at least 1,900 years old. The drive from Bordeaux takes about 50 minutes.
- Angoulême. Venture north of Bordeaux to the Ville de l'Image or City of the Image. Angouleme is a city of art and history well worth the visit.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in France is the Renault Twingo, but travelers also love the Volkswagen Polo and the Ford Fiesta. The most popular rental car types are economy, compact and mini.
- Biarritz. A lovely coastal city in the so-called French Basque country, right on the border with Spain, Biarritz is known for its interesting architecture, beautiful beaches, and arguably the best surfing in all of France. The neighboring town of Bayonne, located a few kilometers inland, is a historical gem. The drive from Bordeaux to Biarritz will take about 2 hours and 1 minutes.
- Pyrenees. Lying along the border with Spain, the Pyrenees mountain range is one of southern France’s most popular travel destinations. Although not as high as the Alps in the east, they are home to a special atmosphere and some of the most panoramic driving routes and hiking trails in Europe. The city of Pau, one of the gateways to the mountains and the fabulous Pyrenees National Park, is only a two-and-a-half-hour drive south of Bordeaux.
- Northern Spain. Only a few hours drive south of Bordeaux, the northeastern part of Spain is another fascinating region that’s within your reach. Home to imposing mountains, rugged beaches, famous cities like Bilbao and Pamplona, and the unique Basque culture, exploring this part of France’s southern neighbor can be a very rewarding experience. Although there are no border checks between the two countries as both are part of the Schengen area, do ask your rental car provider in advance to make sure they permit you to cross into Spain.
Car Rental Prices in Bordeaux
- Convertibles - from $146 per day
- Station wagons - from $157 per day
- Large cars - from $38 per day
- Medium cars - from $34 per day
- Vans - from $185 per day
- Premium cars - from $115 per day
- Small cars - from $26 per day
- SUVs - from $37 per day
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Bordeaux:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Bordeaux is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 29% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Bordeaux
Bergerac Car Rentals from $39.15 per day97.1 km / 60.3 miles away
Angouleme Car Rentals from $32.84 per day114.4 km / 71.1 miles away
La Rochelle Car Rentals from $33.27 per day154.7 km / 96.1 miles away
Pau Car Rentals from $30.30 per day163.0 km / 101.3 miles away
Biarritz Car Rentals from $38.55 per day165.0 km / 102.5 miles away
Brive Car Rentals from $43.11 per day179.5 km / 111.5 miles away
Limoges Car Rentals from $36.60 per day187.0 km / 116.2 miles away
Tarbes Car Rentals from $30.30 per day191.5 km / 119.0 miles away
Toulouse Car Rentals from $41.76 per day212.3 km / 131.9 miles away
Nantes Car Rentals from $24.79 per day267.8 km / 166.4 miles away
Saumur Car Rentals from $32.74 per day274.5 km / 170.6 miles away
Angers Car Rentals from $28.78 per day293.1 km / 182.1 miles away
Carcassonne Car Rentals from $31.36 per day300.8 km / 186.9 miles away
Clermont-Ferrand Car Rentals from $41.94 per day317.2 km / 197.1 miles away
Narbonne Car Rentals from $36.60 per day348.6 km / 216.6 miles away
Béziers Car Rentals from $24.79 per day365.3 km / 227.0 miles away
Perpignan Car Rentals from $44.09 per day369.5 km / 229.6 miles away
Rennes Car Rentals from $24.79 per day371.3 km / 230.7 miles away
Lorient Car Rentals from $24.29 per day383.9 km / 238.5 miles away
Orleans Car Rentals from $21.48 per day392.3 km / 243.8 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Bordeaux
Bordeaux Airport Car Rentals from $26.43 per day
Bergerac Airport Car Rentals from $62.62 per day97.1 km / 60.3 miles away
Angouleme Train Station Car Rentals from $47.80 per day114.4 km / 71.1 miles away
La Rochelle – Île de Ré Airport Car Rentals from $47.54 per day154.7 km / 96.1 miles away
Biarritz Airport Car Rentals from $38.55 per day165.0 km / 102.5 miles away
175.4 km / 109.0 miles away
Limoges Bellegarde Airport Car Rentals from $90.92 per day187.0 km / 116.2 miles away
Tarbes-Lourdes-Pyrenees Airport Car Rentals from $30.30 per day191.5 km / 119.0 miles away
Toulouse Blagnac Airport Car Rentals from $46.74 per day212.3 km / 131.9 miles away
Nantes Airport Car Rentals from $41.41 per day267.8 km / 166.4 miles away
Nantes North East Car Rentals from $31.04 per day276.1 km / 171.6 miles away
Angers Train Station Car Rentals from $28.78 per day293.1 km / 182.1 miles away
Carcassonne Airport Car Rentals from $31.36 per day300.8 km / 186.9 miles away
Clermont-Ferrand Auvergne Airport Car Rentals from $46.98 per day320.9 km / 199.4 miles away
Beziers Airport Car Rentals from $50.61 per day365.3 km / 227.0 miles away
Rennes–Saint-Jacques Airport Car Rentals from $32.23 per day368.8 km / 229.2 miles away
Perpignan Airport Car Rentals from $44.09 per day369.5 km / 229.6 miles away
Lorient Train Station Car Rentals from $47.36 per day383.9 km / 238.5 miles away
Montpellier Sud de France Car Rentals from $83.48 per day394.1 km / 244.9 miles away
Montpellier-Méditerranée Airport Car Rentals from $61.70 per day397.3 km / 246.9 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Bordeaux?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Bordeaux?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Bordeaux?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||4|
|Popular suppliers||Goldcar, RentScape, Keddy, Alamo, Enterprise|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Large cars|
|Lowest price||$26 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Goldcar||Peugeot 208||5||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Peugeot 108||3||1||Small cars|
|RentScape||Peugeot 208||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Tipo||5||2||Medium cars|
|RentScape||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Citroen DS4||5||2||Medium cars|
|Keddy||Volkswagen T-Cross||4||2||Medium cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.