Car Rental at Queenstown Airport
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Airport Car Rental
Often called the adventure tourism capital of the world, Queenstown attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors every year. Lying on the eastern shore of Lake Wakatipu, the city is as famous for its majestic sights as it is for things to see and do. These are four of its most interesting attractions:
- Winter Sports. Although New Zealand is the southernmost country on the planet, it is also a global hub of skiing and snowboarding. The city is surrounded by alpine scenery and plenty of high-quality slopes like Coronet Peak and the Remarkables. There’s plenty of options for everyone from first-timers to seasoned pros. Also worth checking out is the Snow Farm, an area famous for cross-country skiing — although less breathtaking than going down the mountain, it’s a great way to explore the surrounding nature. The ski season in Queenstown generally runs from late June to the beginning of October.
- Adventure sports. Even if you’ve come to Queenstown during the Southern hemisphere’s summer, don’t despair — there’s plenty of thrill on offer during the warmest time of the year as well. Activities like mountaineering, bungee jumping, parasailing, paragliding, and many more are offered to visiting daredevils by tours and companies all around the city. Visit the adventure section of the city’s official tourism website to learn more. Queenstown is also a fantastic destination for hiking enthusiasts, with many trails at your disposal.
- Mount Aspiring National Park. A land of green valleys, snow-capped summits, and deep fjords, New Zealand (and especially the South Island) is epitomized by its nature. The national parks of the country are the right places to enjoy this wilderness at its most untouched. Whether you want to feel like a hobbit on a quest by following the hiking trails or try to spot local fauna, Mount Aspiring is the right place. The town of Makarora, a gateway to this national park, is about 130 km (80 miles) north of Queenstown and can be reached in less than two hours. The park can be visited on a day-trip, but there are also lodging options. Fiordland National Park, a similar natural wonder, is about the same distance southwest of Queenstown.
- Queenstown Gardens. Bordering Lake Wakatipu, the gardens are one of the nicest nature experiences you can have without leaving the city boundaries. In addition to many local flora species, the gardens have plants from various faraway destinations. Although good for a picnic, the gardens can also be explored by following its main walking trail, which is just over 3 km (2 miles) long.
- Fiordland National Park - The drive between Queenstown, Te Anau, and Milford Sound is one of the best drives you will find on the South Island. Ending at the glacier-carved Milford Sound with Mitre Peak proudly hovering above the area, it’s a view you won’t forget. For a slightly less-crowded experience, book a tour to Doubtful Sound instead.
- The Remarkables Park. Particularly beloved amongst winter sports enthusiasts, the Remarkables is Queenstown's most popular ski area. Not a fan of skiing? It’s a great place to visit in the summer, with great trails for beginner to advanced hiking enthusiasts.
Top international routes
Jetstar, an Australian low-cost airline provides connections to and from the Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney, Auckland, and Wellington. Qantas also Sydney with seasonal service to and from Brisbane and Melbourne. Finally, Virgin Australia also serves the three largest Australian cities.
Finally, Air Milford has flights to Milford Sound and Te Anau, small, but busy, airports in popular tourist destinations.
Most popular types of rental car
Car rental desks
All other rental companies serving the airport provide shuttles for their customers. A free phone can be found outside of the terminal by the check-in area with which you can call the specific company.
Go Rentals and Areodrive are located right next to the airport. NU (serviced by Scotties), Discount, and Hitch are a few kilometers away.
Find out which are the easiest to find and more in our list of the best rental companies in Queenstown.
Services and facilities
Nearest gas station
If renting from NU, Discount, or hitch, an NPD station located on the roundabout of Highway 6 and Hawthorne Drive is the best station for filling up before returning a rental car. It is directly on the way to the locations of those companies.
Popular one-way rentals
- Christchurch (478 km / 297 mi)
- Auckland (1,547 km / 961 mi)
- Dunedin (273 km / 169 mi)
- Blenheim (779 km / 484 mi)
- Wellington (911 km / 566 mi)
- Greymouth (517 km / 321 mi)
Queenstown Airport (ZQN)
- IATA: ZQN
- ICAO: NZQN
- Name: Queenstown Airport (ZQN)
- Distance from city: 4.3 miles / 7 km
Top 20 Locations near Queenstown Airport
Car Rental at Dunedin Airport from $47.60 per day152.1 km / 94.5 miles away
Car Rental at Invercargill Airport from $62.38 per day158.4 km / 98.4 miles away
Car Rental at Christchurch Airport from $25.45 per day347.1 km / 215.7 miles away
Car Rental in Christchurch (Downtown) from $22.97 per day351.7 km / 218.5 miles away
Car Rental at Nelson Airport from $43.00 per day550.8 km / 342.3 miles away
Car Rental at Wellington Airport from $23.67 per day640.6 km / 398.1 miles away
Car Rental in Wellington (Downtown) from $23.58 per day641.1 km / 398.4 miles away
Car Rental at Wellington Inter Island Ferry Terminal from $77.36 per day644.0 km / 400.2 miles away
Car Rental at Palmerston North Airport from $56.94 per day767.0 km / 476.6 miles away
Car Rental at New Plymouth Airport from $49.39 per day805.0 km / 500.2 miles away
Car Rental at Napier Airport from $56.84 per day910.0 km / 565.4 miles away
Car Rental at Rotorua Airport from $34.80 per day993.1 km / 617.1 miles away
Car Rental at Auckland Airport from $22.04 per day1024.5 km / 636.6 miles away
Car Rental at Tauranga Airport from $88.84 per day1026.4 km / 637.8 miles away
Car Rental in Auckland Henderson from $21.65 per day1031.4 km / 640.9 miles away
Car Rental in Auckland Onehunga from $21.65 per day1033.0 km / 641.9 miles away
Car Rental in Auckland Penrose from $64.64 per day1034.7 km / 642.9 miles away
Car Rental in Auckland East Tamaki from $21.65 per day1035.6 km / 643.5 miles away
Car Rental in Auckland Mount Wellington from $21.65 per day1036.7 km / 644.2 miles away
Car Rental in Auckland (Downtown) from $21.65 per day1039.8 km / 646.1 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
When are car rental prices the lowest at Queenstown Airport?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
For how long do renters keep their vehicles at Queenstown Airport?
What is the most popular time of year to rent a car at Queenstown Airport?
Car Rental Information
|Popular suppliers||Yes Rentals, Ezu Car Rental, Discount Car Rentals New Zealand, Rentalcars247, Mode Car Rentals|
|Popular car categories||SUVs, Small cars, Medium cars, Vans|
|Lowest price||$29 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Discount Car Rentals New Zealand||Toyota RAV4||5||2||SUVs|
|Yes Rentals||Toyota RAV4||5||2||SUVs|
|Jucy||Suzuki Swift||5||1||Small cars|
|Yes Rentals||Toyota Aqua Hybrid||5||1||Medium cars|
|Yes Rentals||Toyota Corolla||5||1||Small cars|
|EV Hire||Toyota Aqua Hybrid||5||1||Medium cars|
|Discount Car Rentals New Zealand||Toyota Corolla||4||2||Large cars|
|Yes Rentals||Toyota Vitz||5||1||Small cars|
|Ezu Car Rental||Nissan Tiida||4||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.