Car Hire in Kefalonia
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Offers
Why hire a car in Kefalonia?
The largest of the Ionian islands west of the Greek mainland, Kefalonia is one of this region’s prime travel destinations. Best known for its idyllic beaches, it also harbours interesting inland areas and fascinating cultural heritage.
Top ways to enter Kefalonia
- Kefalonia Airport: Also known as Kefalonia-Anna Palatou, the main international airport of the island is especially active during the summer months when it has flights by more than 20 different airlines. During the winter months, there are only flights to and from Athens, the national capital.
- By ferry: Kefalonia can also be reached by ferry as there is a service linking it to the Greek mainland (via the village of Kyllini, near the city of Patras), other Ionian islands, and even nearby Italy. Do keep in mind that not all car hire companies permit taking a vehicle onboard a ferry, and even if they do, you should inform them in advance. If you’re coming to Kefalonia via Patras, often the more convenient way is to travel to the island by public transportation and then pick up a car after you arrive. Ferry service is much more frequent during the warmer months of the year, but tickets tend to sell out much quicker during this time, so it’s a good idea to book in advance. You’ll need to buy a separate ticket for your vehicle.
Top destinations and activities
- Argostoli. Located on the island’s westernmost coast, Argostoli has been the capital of Kefalonia for the last 260 years. Attractions include a scenic waterfront and a number of historic buildings, as well as the Archaeological Museum which holds a number of artefacts from the Classical Greece period. Thanks to its good accommodation options, Argostoli is also where many visitors tend to stay during their trip and explore the rest of the island from there.
- Fiskardo. Quite different in feel from the rest of the island, Fiskardo is the most upmarket part of Kefalonia. The development, as well as a number of earthquakes, have sadly damaged much of the original architecture, but the area’s newfound opulence means that some seriously impressive yachts can be spotted in it. Located in the north of the island, Fiskardo is about an hour’s drive from Argostoli.
- Skala. Situated in the far south of Kefalonia, the village of Skala is known as the location of one of the most beautiful beaches in all of the Ionian Islands. The long, sandy coastline is bordered by pine growth and also has a number of beach restaurants and bars. It is worth waking up early to visit the beach as sunrises are spectacular.
Traffic and parking tips
- There are no highways on Kefalonia (nor on any other Greek islands).
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 90 km/h (55.9 mph) on roads outside populated areas, and 50 km/h (31 mph) in populated and built-up areas.
- While larger Kefalonian roads are in good shape, smaller roads might have poor surfacing and potholes. Be careful when driving on them, especially after dark.
- Many petrol stations might be closed on the weekends and public holidays.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers. Exceeding these limits can lead to high fines and a licence ban. Exceeding the limit of 0.08% is a criminal offence and can lead to up to two years of imprisonment.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112. The police number is 100, the ambulance number is 166, and the fire brigade number is 199.
There are no toll roads on Kefalonia, but there are a number of toll roads, tunnels, and bridges on mainland Greece. Many travelers find them very hard to navigate and some choose to avoid using the toll roads altogether because of the very complex system that is in place. Different toll roads are administered by different private companies and so there is not a single, nationwide (or even region-wide) system in place.
For most toll roads, payment can be either made in cash at a toll gate, by credit card, or with coins at an automatic machine. For some roads, an electronic transponder in a car might be used to pay for using the road. Some rental cars might be equipped with such an electronic transponder. However, because of the aforementioned different systems that are in place, this payment method might work for some toll roads, but not others. Plan your route in advance and ask your car rental supplier about the best way to pay for all the toll roads that you plan to use.
Find out more about toll roads in Greece on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Drogarati and Melissani. The two impressive caves, located in the east of the island, are among the most popular attractions on Kefalonia. Characterized by their azure waters, underground currents, ancient ritual sites and even older stalactites, they are fascinating to visit on a boat trip. Drogarati is a 35-minute drive from Argostoli which, in turn, is just ten minutes from Melissani.
- Ithaka. A small island that is only one seventh the size of Kefalonia, Ithaka is an idyllic place to visit. Located only 2-4 km (1.2-2.4 miles) to the west of its bigger neighbor, it is a scenic and slow-paced destination. Ithaka was also the legendary home of Odysseus and a number of sites on the island, including the cave in Polis Bay, are related to the hero of the Greek epic. Ithaka can be reached by ferry from Kefalonia, and while most companies don’t permit bringing a vehicle on board, you can park it at the port and pick it up upon your return.
- The Castle of St. George. Built by the seafaring Venetian Empire which controlled Kefalonia for centuries, the Castle of St. George is one of the most impressive structures on the island. Located on a hilltop, the castle offers great views of the land below and the sea in the distance. The castle is just 5 km (3.1 miles) from the village of Leivathos where you’ll find the Byzantine Museum, dedicated to even earlier rulers of Kefalonia.
Most popular hire types and cars
The most popular car for hire in Kefalonia is Suzuki Alto, although many travelers also go for the Opel Corsa or VW Up. The most popular car types are mini, economy, and standard.
Car Hire Prices in Kefalonia
- Station wagons - starting at £ 135 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 109 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 93 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 108 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 74 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 167 per day
How can I save money on my hire car?
These are some good methods to save money on the car you’ll hire:
- Compare the rates of different car hire suppliers
- Book your vehicle well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Kefalonia is the cheapest in March when prices for an Economy class start from € 25 per day. This is 43% cheaper than the yearly average and 64% cheaper than renting in December (when rental prices start at € 68.97 for a Compact class). Knowing this can help you find the best price.
Top 13 Cities near Kefalonia
Heraklion starting at £ 18.76 per day523.1 km / 325.1 miles away
Athens starting at £ 14.74 per day304.2 km / 189.0 miles away
Corfu starting at £ 58.13 per day169.9 km / 105.6 miles away
706.2 km / 438.8 miles away
Chania starting at £ 18.02 per day438.3 km / 272.3 miles away
Thessaloniki starting at £ 33.04 per day346.3 km / 215.2 miles away
Kos starting at £ 21.40 per day615.7 km / 382.6 miles away
Zakynthos starting at £ 55.08 per day34.9 km / 21.7 miles away
Mykonos starting at £ 45.04 per day434.7 km / 270.1 miles away
Santorini starting at £ 64.61 per day481.9 km / 299.5 miles away
Preveza starting at £ 40.74 per day88.2 km / 54.8 miles away
Skiathos starting at £ 17.98 per day285.4 km / 177.4 miles away
191.0 km / 118.7 miles away
Top 18 Destinations around Kefalonia
Kefalonia Lasi starting at £ 87.18 per day
Kefalonia Hotel Delivery starting at £ 98.42 per day1.1 km / 0.7 miles away
Kefalonia Argostoli Port starting at £ 84.59 per day2.6 km / 1.6 miles away
Kefalonia Airport starting at £ 51.15 per day5.1 km / 3.2 miles away
Kefalonia Lixouri Port starting at £ 90.48 per day5.4 km / 3.4 miles away
Kefalonia Xi Beach starting at £ 90.48 per day5.8 km / 3.6 miles away
Kefalonia Pessada Port starting at £ 84.59 per day11.3 km / 7.0 miles away
Kefalonia Sami Port starting at £ 79.47 per day17.3 km / 10.8 miles away
Kefalonia Poros Port starting at £ 79.47 per day26.3 km / 16.4 miles away
Kefalonia Fiskardo Port starting at £ 90.48 per day34.2 km / 21.2 miles away
Agios Nikolaos Port starting at £ 55.08 per day34.9 km / 21.7 miles away
Zakynthos Airport starting at £ 28.49 per day57.9 km / 36.0 miles away
Meganisi Vathi Port starting at £ 13.59 per day61.3 km / 38.1 miles away
Lefkada Port Nidri starting at £ 64.61 per day63.6 km / 39.5 miles away
Lefkada Aghios Nikitas starting at £ 37.29 per day70.4 km / 43.8 miles away
Lefkada Bus Station starting at £ 98.42 per day76.3 km / 47.4 miles away
Lefkada Port starting at £ 98.42 per day76.7 km / 47.7 miles away
Lefkada Hotel Delivery starting at £ 98.42 per day76.9 km / 47.8 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in Kefalonia?
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Kefalonia?
What month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Kefalonia?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|AddCar||Suzuki Alto||4||1||Small cars|
|Avance Rent a Car||Skoda Citigo||5||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||Opel Corsa||5||2||Small cars|
|Avance Rent a Car||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|Alma Car Hire||Toyota Aygo||5||2||Small cars|
|Surprice||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||Opel Astra||5||2||Medium cars|
|Dirent a car Greece||Seat Mii||5||1||Small cars|
|Dirent a car Greece||Nissan Note||5||2||Medium cars|
|Alma Car Hire||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.