Car Hire in Zakynthos
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Zakynthos?
Intro: Often mentioned as the most idyllic place in the country (some claim for a place with more than 2,000 Mediterranean islands), Zakynthos holds a special place in the Greek imagination. While the main draw of Zante, as it is also known, is its scenic beauty, there’s also some enjoyable history if you scratch beneath the surface.
One-way Car Hire in Zakynthos
The most popular one-way car hire options for pick up in Zakynthos and drop off in another city include:
- From Zakynthos to Athens - 43 offers from £ 29.95 per day
Top ways to enter Zakynthos
- Zakynthos Airport. Located in the southeastern part of the island just south of Zakynthos town, Dionysios Solomos Airport is the main gateway to the island. The airport is only internationally active during the summer months when it has flights by over 30 different carriers.
Top destinations and activities
- Zakynthos Town. Located on the southwest coast of Zakynthos, the island’s capital is a popular place to stay thanks to its variety of lodging options and restaurants. While most visitors use it as a hub for exploring the rest of the island, there are also things to see in the town itself, not least the Saint Marcus Square and Byzantine Museum.
- Blue Caves. Located off the island’s northern coast, the Blue Caves are geological formations known for the azure colour of the waters that run through them. You can only visit the caves with a boat, but as they are among the island’s most popular attractions, there are plenty of options to do that — there are plenty of operators offering different types of tours, so ask around in Zakynthos Town. A visit to the shipwreck off of Navagio Beach is sometimes also included in the trip.
- Beaches. Zakynthos is all about the beach, and, frankly, there are too many enjoyable options to list them all. Generally speaking, the eastern coast is more popular (and a lot more developed) and has famous beaches like Agios Nikolaos while the rocky western coast is harder to get to and explore, but therefore also promises more tranquillity.
Traffic and parking
- There are no highways on Zakynthos.
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 90 km/h (55.9 mph) on roads outside populated areas and 50 km/h (31 mph) in populated and built-up areas.
- Many gas stations might be closed during the weekends and public holidays.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers. Exceeding these limits can lead to steep fines and a license ban. Exceeding the limit of 0.08% is a criminal offence and can lead to up to two years of imprisonment.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112. The police number is 100, the ambulance number is 166, and the fire brigade number is 199.
There are no toll roads in Zakynthos. There are a number of toll roads, tunnels, and bridges on the Greek mainland. Many travellers find them very hard to navigate and some choose to avoid using the toll roads altogether because of the very complex system that is in place. Different toll roads are administered by different private companies and so there is not a single, nationwide (or even region-wide) system in place.
For most toll roads, payment can be either made with cash at a toll gate, by credit card, or with coins at an automatic toll machine. For some roads, an electronic transponder might be used to pay. Some hire cars might be equipped with such an electronic transponder. However, because of the aforementioned different systems that are in place, this payment method might work for some toll roads but not for others. Plan your route in advance and ask the supplier about the best way to pay for the toll roads that you plan to use.
Ideas for day trips
- Kefalonia. Also known as Cefalonia thanks to its centuries-long Italian connections, Kefalonia is an Ionian island to the west of Zakynthos. Just as known for its beaches and scenery, Kefalonia even has its own pair of famous caves (Drogorati and Melissani), but is perhaps a bit more historical than its southern neighbour, as exemplified by landmarks like the Villa of Skala and Agios Georgios Castle. During the tourist season, ferries to Kefalonia take off from Agios Nikolaos several times a day. Some ferry companies permit taking a vehicle, but even if that’s the case, you should ask your Zakynthos car hire supplier in advance (also, make sure to check rental conditions).
Most popular cars
The most hired car in Zakynthos is the VW Up, followed by the Opel Astra and the Fiat 500. The most hired car types are economy, mini, and standard.
Car Hire Prices in Zakynthos
- Large cars - starting at £ 30 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 37 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 130 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 30 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 60 per day
These are some good methods to save money on your car:
- Compare rates of different car providers
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Zakynthos is the cheapest in March.
Top 17 Cities near Zakynthos
Athens Car Hire starting at £ 3.64 per day269.5 km / 167.5 miles away
Corfu Car Hire starting at £ 4.71 per day222.5 km / 138.2 miles away
Thessaloniki Car Hire starting at £ 2.72 per day356.6 km / 221.6 miles away
Rhodes Car Hire starting at £ 4.70 per day656.0 km / 407.6 miles away
Santorini Car Hire starting at £ 8.26 per day434.4 km / 269.9 miles away
Kos Car Hire starting at £ 7.43 per day559.4 km / 347.6 miles away
Kefalonia Car Hire starting at £ 6.97 per day53.1 km / 33.0 miles away
Mykonos Car Hire starting at £ 9.60 per day394.8 km / 245.3 miles away
Preveza Car Hire starting at £ 8.88 per day135.2 km / 84.0 miles away
Kalamata Car Hire starting at £ 9.33 per day126.2 km / 78.4 miles away
Skiathos Car Hire starting at £ 14.80 per day277.8 km / 172.6 miles away
Kolymbia Car Hire starting at £ 19.87 per day666.8 km / 414.3 miles away
Mytilene Car Hire starting at £ 16.12 per day516.7 km / 321.1 miles away
340.3 km / 211.5 miles away
Parga Car Hire starting at £ 10.68 per day175.7 km / 109.2 miles away
Kea Car Hire starting at £ 57.97 per day304.5 km / 189.2 miles away
658.0 km / 408.9 miles away
Top 17 Destinations around Zakynthos
Zakynthos Airport Car Hire starting at £ 6.80 per day0.6 km / 0.4 miles away
Kefalonia Airport Car Hire starting at £ 6.97 per day52.9 km / 32.9 miles away
Kalamata Airport Car Hire starting at £ 9.33 per day126.2 km / 78.4 miles away
Preveza Aktion Airport (Lefkada) Car Hire starting at £ 6.95 per day130.6 km / 81.1 miles away
Corfu Airport Car Hire starting at £ 4.71 per day222.1 km / 138.0 miles away
Corfu Port Car Hire starting at £ 10.20 per day224.6 km / 139.6 miles away
Athens Airport Car Hire starting at £ 3.64 per day269.1 km / 167.2 miles away
Skiathos Port Car Hire starting at £ 21.02 per day275.4 km / 171.1 miles away
Thessaloniki Airport Car Hire starting at £ 2.72 per day356.0 km / 221.2 miles away
Mykonos Port Car Hire starting at £ 9.93 per day392.5 km / 243.9 miles away
Mykonos Airport Car Hire starting at £ 9.60 per day394.5 km / 245.1 miles away
Santorini Airport Car Hire starting at £ 8.26 per day434.3 km / 269.8 miles away
Kos Airport Car Hire starting at £ 7.43 per day559.1 km / 347.4 miles away
Rhodes Airport Car Hire starting at £ 4.70 per day655.8 km / 407.5 miles away
Rhodes Ialysos Car Hire starting at £ 51.09 per day661.5 km / 411.0 miles away
Hotel Golden Odyssey Car Hire starting at £ 17.89 per day666.1 km / 413.9 miles away
Holiday Village Rhodes Car Hire starting at £ 17.89 per day666.9 km / 414.4 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in Zakynthos?
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Zakynthos?
What is the most favoured month for hiring a car in Zakynthos?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||4|
|Popular suppliers||Dirent a car Greece, Alma Car Hire, ABBYCAR, WheeGo, Carwiz|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, People Carriers, Large cars|
|Lowest price||£ 7 per day|
|Cheapest supplier||Yours Car Rental|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Dirent a car Greece||Peugeot 107||3||1||Small cars|
|Alma Car Hire||Toyota Aygo||5||2||Small cars|
|ABBYCAR||Toyota Aygo||4||1||Small cars|
|WheeGo||Renault Twingo||5||1||Small cars|
|Dirent a car Greece||Nissan Note||5||2||Medium cars|
|ABBYCAR||Peugeot 208||4||2||Small cars|
|Dirent a car Greece||Seat Mii||5||1||Small cars|
|Dirent a car Greece||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|CarQ||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Suzuki Celerio||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.