Car Hire in Rhodes
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Rhodes?
The largest of the so-called Dodecanese Islands, Rhodes is also one of the most popular travel destinations in the Greek Aegean. Inhabited since antiquity, the island has a surprising amount of fascinating history to explore, though its main tourist draw naturally remains its idyllic coastline.
Top ways to enter Rhodes
- Rhodes Airport: Located on the northwestern coast near Rhodes Town and easily reached from anywhere on the island, Rhodes-Diagoras Airport serves about five million travelers every year. The airport is especially active during the summer months when it has flights by more than 60 airlines.
- By ferry: Rhodes can be reached by ferry — during the summer months, there is an active service from a number of Greek islands, as well as destinations like Marmaris and Bodrum in nearby Turkey. No companies permit taking a vehicle to Turkey, a country outside the European Union and Schengen Area, but you might find a company that permits taking a hired car to Symi or Tilos. You’ll need to buy a separate ticket for yourself and the car, and it’s a good idea to book them in advance.
Top destinations and activities
- Rhodes Old Town. The old town of Rhodes has been called one of the most beautiful historical centres in all of the Mediterranean region. The atmospheric quarter is a UNESCO World Heritage site, being home to well-preserved architecture and landmarks such as the Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights and Suleymaniye Mosque.
- The Acropolis of Rhodes. Another gem of Rhodes Town, the Acropolis gives visitors an insight into what the island’s life was like during the classical antiquity. Made up of a theater, as well as several temples and other worship sites, the Acropolis is located above the rest of the town and offers beautiful views of the sea below.
- Lindos. Home to another acropolis, as well as more recent, but nonetheless notable medieval architecture, the eastern village of Lindos is one of the most popular destinations outside the island’s capital. Inhabited for 3,000 years, the settlement has a special, historic atmosphere.
Traffic and parking
- There are no motorways on Rhodes (nor on any other Greek islands).
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 90 km/h (55.9 mph) on roads outside populated areas and 50 km/h (31 mph) in populated and built-up areas.
- While larger roads are in good shape, smaller roads might have poor surfacing and potholes. Be careful when driving on them, especially after dark.
- Many petrol stations might be closed during weekends and public holidays.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers. Exceeding these limits can lead to high fines and a licence ban. Exceeding the limit of 0.08% is a criminal offence and can lead to up to two years of imprisonment.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112. The police number is 100, the ambulance number is 166, and the fire brigade number is 199.
Ideas for day trips
- Beaches. The beautiful coastline of Rhodes is famous in Greece and abroad, attracting thousands every year. Known for sandy beaches, the eastern coast gets the bulk of visitors, though more adventurous travelers will no doubt be glad to explore the more rocky western shore.
- Prasonisi. Located on the southeastern coast of the island, Prasonisi is known as one of the best windsurfing spots in Greece (and arguably beyond). Even if you don’t plan on hitting the waves, it’s still worth visiting this scenic stretch of the island which is also known to throw some of the best parties in Rhodes, especially in the neighboring town of Gennadi. If windsurfing is your thing, another good spot in Fanes in the northwest.
- Inland. Much less developed than the coast and almost completely ignored by foreign visitors, the inland part of Rhodes can feel like a different country, but if you hire a car, it’s worth traveling there as you’re likely in for one of the most authentic experiences of your trip. Driving the steep highland roads can be challenging, but will also provide you with some of the best views of Rhodes and, from some points, even neighboring islands like Halki.
Most popular cars
The most popular car for hire in Rhodes is the Citroen C1. Many travelers also pick the Suzuki Celerio and Fiat Panda. The most popular car hire types are mini, economy, and standard.
Car Hire Prices in Rhodes
- Convertibles - starting at £ 9 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 16 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 7 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 6 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 20 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 55 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 5 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 10 per day
These are some good methods to save money on your car:
- Compare the rates of different car hire suppliers
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Rhodes is the cheapest in February when hiring a car is a whole 78% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 17 Cities near Rhodes
2.5 km / 1.6 miles away
Kolymbia Car Hire starting at £ 18.43 per day18.0 km / 11.2 miles away
Kos Car Hire starting at £ 6.96 per day98.7 km / 61.3 miles away
Santorini Car Hire starting at £ 6.75 per day233.3 km / 145.0 miles away
Mykonos Car Hire starting at £ 9.76 per day269.0 km / 167.1 miles away
Kea Car Hire starting at £ 57.14 per day362.9 km / 225.5 miles away
Athens Car Hire starting at £ 2.53 per day404.5 km / 251.3 miles away
Skiathos Car Hire starting at £ 11.31 per day507.0 km / 315.0 miles away
522.0 km / 324.4 miles away
Kalamata Car Hire starting at £ 6.80 per day545.0 km / 338.6 miles away
Chalkidiki Car Hire starting at £ 15.65 per day585.3 km / 363.7 miles away
Thessaloniki Car Hire starting at £ 2.85 per day638.2 km / 396.6 miles away
Zakynthos Car Hire starting at £ 7.77 per day656.0 km / 407.6 miles away
Kefalonia Car Hire starting at £ 5.28 per day697.6 km / 433.5 miles away
Preveza Car Hire starting at £ 3.87 per day702.4 km / 436.5 miles away
Parga Car Hire starting at £ 14.22 per day746.6 km / 463.9 miles away
Corfu Car Hire starting at £ 5.02 per day799.1 km / 496.5 miles away
Top 20 Destinations around Rhodes
Rhodes Airport Car Hire starting at £ 5.00 per day
Hotel Golden Odyssey Car Hire starting at £ 19.43 per day18.0 km / 11.2 miles away
Holiday Village Rhodes Car Hire starting at £ 19.96 per day18.9 km / 11.7 miles away
Rhodes Pefkos Car Hire starting at £ 39.75 per day37.2 km / 23.1 miles away
Kos Airport Car Hire starting at £ 6.96 per day98.7 km / 61.3 miles away
Santorini Airport Car Hire starting at £ 6.75 per day233.3 km / 145.0 miles away
Mykonos Airport Car Hire starting at £ 9.76 per day269.0 km / 167.1 miles away
Mykonos Port Car Hire starting at £ 12.06 per day271.3 km / 168.6 miles away
Athens Airport Car Hire starting at £ 2.53 per day404.5 km / 251.3 miles away
City Centre Car Hire starting at £ 6.66 per day423.1 km / 262.9 miles away
Skiathos Port Car Hire starting at £ 11.31 per day507.0 km / 315.0 miles away
Kalamata Airport Car Hire starting at £ 6.80 per day545.0 km / 338.6 miles away
Thessaloniki Airport Car Hire starting at £ 2.85 per day638.2 km / 396.6 miles away
Zakynthos Airport Car Hire starting at £ 7.77 per day656.0 km / 407.6 miles away
Kefalonia Poros Port Car Hire starting at £ 9.10 per day674.4 km / 419.1 miles away
Kefalonia Sami Port Car Hire starting at £ 17.65 per day688.9 km / 428.1 miles away
Kefalonia Airport Car Hire starting at £ 5.28 per day697.6 km / 433.5 miles away
Kefalonia Fiskardo Port Car Hire starting at £ 9.10 per day701.2 km / 435.7 miles away
Preveza Airport Car Hire starting at £ 3.87 per day702.4 km / 436.5 miles away
Kefalonia Lixouri Port Car Hire starting at £ 5.48 per day704.9 km / 438.0 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
In which month is car hire in Rhodes the most affordable?
This information can help you determine the low season. But note that these prices are only averages. The cost of your hire is determined by the type of car you select, the length of time you hire it for and how much in advance you book. Simply type in your dates in the form at the top of the page in order to find out the exact prices.
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Rhodes?
What is the most favoured month for hiring a car in Rhodes?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||13|
|Popular suppliers||Alma Car Hire, EXER, ABBYCAR, RODOS CARS, Yours Car Rental|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, People Carriers|
|Lowest price||£ 5 per day|
|Cheapest supplier||DRIVE S.A.|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|EXER||Toyota Aygo||3||1||Small cars|
|Yours Car Rental||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|Alma Car Hire||Suzuki Celerio||5||1||Small cars|
|Alma Car Hire||Nissan Micra||5||1||Small cars|
|Alma Car Hire||Toyota Aygo||5||1||Small cars|
|Alma Car Hire||Hyundai i30||5||2||Medium cars|
|ABBYCAR||Peugeot 308||4||3||Medium cars|
|Alma Car Hire||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|ABBYCAR||Peugeot 208||4||1||Small cars|
|ABBYCAR||Suzuki Celerio||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.