Car Rental in Bulgaria
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Bulgaria?
Although not as well known as some other European countries, Bulgaria is a great place to explore by car. From ancient cities to stunning mountains, sunny beaches on the Black Sea coast and easy access to other interesting destinations in Europe, it is a place to miss at your own peril.
Whn you're in Bulgaria, don't miss these local specialities:
Banitsa - Bulgarians' favorite breakfast. A traditional flaky pastry filled with eggs, cheese, and butter. It goes well with Airyan (a salty yogurt drink) or Boza (a fermented wheat beverage
Meshana Skara - Bulgarian BBQ, including kufte (meatballs with onion), kebapche (long meatballs with spices), and various meat stakes.
Tarator - cold soup made of yogurt, cucumbers, dill, garlic, and walnuts.
Shopska Salata - salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, onion, olives, and white cheese.
Shkembe Chorba - tripe soup heavily spiced with garlic, red paprika and milk.
Moussaka - a potato-based dish with minced meat with a yogurt-egg-based layer on the top.
One-way Car Rentals in Bulgaria
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Bulgaria and drop off in another country:
- From Bulgaria to Croatia - 143 offers from $56.95 per day
- From Bulgaria to Romania - 15 offers from $36.29 per day
- From Bulgaria to Bosnia and Herzegovina - 21 offers from $52.78 per day
- From Bulgaria to Serbia - 70 offers from $39.88 per day
- From Bulgaria to North Macedonia - 15 offers from $36.29 per day
Top ways to enter Bulgaria
- Sofia Airport: Bulgaria’s largest international airport that serves flights to and from most European countries as well as other continents.
- Burgas Airport: A small and cozy international airport located on the Black Sea.
- Varna Airport: Another international airport on the Black Sea Coast.
- By land: It’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Bulgaria. It should be noted, however, that different visa requirements may be in place for citizens of different countries, so contact your embassy in advance to find out about any international borders you would like to cross. Some large cities with international airports near Bulgaria include Istanbul in Turkey, Thessaloniki in Greece, and Bucharest in Romania.
Top cities and places to visit
- Plovdiv. One of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in Europe, Plovdiv is a historic gem of a city. Attractions include the Ancient Roman stadium that was only uncovered in the 1970s, the Archaeological Museum with its famous Thracian gold, and a number of old churches, mosques, and synagogues.
- Sofia. Rougher around the edges than many other European capitals, Sofia can nonetheless be a fascinating destination. A hub of culture and commerce, it is notable for its many museums, the impressive St. Aleksander Nevski Cathedral, and the nearby Vitosha Mountain that’s just south of the capital.
- Varna. The golden Black Sea beaches of Bulgaria are one of the country’s main attractions, making the city of Varna a real tourism hotspot. Varna’s coastline is undoubtedly impressive, but so are its landmarks like the Naval Museum, Varna Aquarium, and Nicolaus Copernicus Observatory and Planetarium.
- Burgas. One of the biggest cities on the Black Sea coast offers lovely beaches, yummy street food, lively nightlife and also acts as a gateway to some of Bulgaria's most popular resort towns, such as Kiten, Primorsko, and Sozopol.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Bulgaria is the VW Polo, but the Renault Clio and the Ford Fiesta are also often picked by travelers.
Driver license requirements
Bulgaria accepts all driver licenses issued in the European Union (EU).
If your driver license is issued by a non-EU country, for it to be considered valid you’ll need a Bulgarian visa. Another requirement is to have been in the EU for no more than six months at the time of the rental. If you’ve been in the EU longer, you’ll need a driver license issued by an EU country.
Bulgaria uses the Cyrillic alphabet and also accepts driver licenses written in the Latin alphabet. However, if your driver license is printed in neither Cyrillic nor Latin, but in some other alphabet (e.g., Japanese, Arabic, Devanagari, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP) or an official translation of your license into Bulgarian.
You must carry your driver license, not its copy, with you at all times.
You need to have had your driver license for at least one or two years, depending on the car provider’s requirements.
There may be additional requirements depending on the car provider and car category, so make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking.
Bulgaria is bordered by Romania, Turkey, Greece, Macedonia, and Serbia. Each of these countries has its own visa policy, so you may or may not need a visa to enter them, depending on your citizenship. If you plan to visit Bulgaria’s neighbor during your rental period, we strongly advise you to get in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs in advance to find out about the visa requirements.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our Help Center.
Most popular types of rental car
The type of car rented most often in Bulgaria is an economy, but standard and compact are also quite popular.
Top driving routes
- Strandzha Nature Park. A large nature area near the Black Sea and the border with Turkey, Strandzha is one of the nicest protected areas in the country. Made up of five smaller, distinct reserves, it is characterized by wetlands, primeval forests, and traditional wooden architecture. Inhabitants of the park include golden jackals, red deer, and Egyptian vultures.
- The Rhodopes. A mountain range in the south-central part of the country, the Rhodopes is one of the most interesting regions in Bulgaria. The area is known for its protected nature areas, spas, ancient sites, and unique traditions that include the famous Rhodope music.
- Bansko. A historically and culturally significant town for Bulgarians, nowadays Bansko is best known as a large winter sports base that attracts thousands of skiing and snowboarding enthusiasts every winter. The town can be just as lovely to visit during the warmer months, too, not least for its well-preserved old town, hiking trails, and the nearby brown bear sanctuary.
- The Seven Rila Lakes. Located in Rila National Park, the Seven Rila Lakes are a group of glacial lakes that offer some of the most stunning views on the continent. On your way, you can also see Bulgaria's most famous UNESCO World Heritage site - the Rila monastery.
- Koprivshtica. A historic little town that preserved Its traditional colorful houses and cobbled streets. Koprivschtica is also, a great place to find traditional and organic Bulgarian food.
- Bulgarian Seacoast. The most popular coast on the Black Sea offers everything from charming little villages like Tsarevo, historical towns like Nessebar, or party hubs like Sunny Beach.
Car Rental Prices
- Station wagons - from $33 per day
- Large cars - from $42 per day
- Medium cars - from $43 per day
- Vans - from $78 per day
- Premium cars - from $103 per day
- Small cars - from $27 per day
- SUVs - from $64 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Bulgaria:
- Compare rates
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
Top 20 Most Popular Cities in Bulgaria
Top 13 Most Popular Locations in Bulgaria
Car Rental at Sofia Airport from $2.20 per day
Car Rental at Varna Airport from $3.74 per day
Car Rental at Burgas Airport from $4.44 per day
Car Rental at Plovdiv Airport from $5.32 per day
Car Rental at Bourgas Plaza Mall from $5.32 per day
Car Rental in Nessebar with delivery to hotel from $9.27 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Bulgaria?
What’s the average rental length in Bulgaria?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Bulgaria?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Top Rent A Car||Hyundai i20||5||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Yes Rent A Car||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|Top Rent A Car||Renault Clio||5||1||Small cars|
|Top Rent A Car||Citroen C3||5||1||Small cars|
|BOJONE||Nissan Note||4||2||Medium cars|
|CarRent||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|Autounion||Volkswagen Up||5||2||Small cars|
|Top Rent A Car||Renault Clio||5||1||Small cars|
|Yes Rent A Car||Peugeot 208||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.