Car Hire at Sofia Airport
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Airport Car Hire
An underrated destination, Bulgaria hasn’t yet reached the international tourism profile of its neighbours like Greece or Croatia. Even when travellers do visit the country, they usually go to Varna, Burgas, and the rest of the Black Sea coast. But those who give its inland capital, Sofia, a chance, discover an interesting, dynamic city with a fascinating history, an incredible culture, and beautiful nature all around it. Here are our top destinations in and around it:
- History museums. Bordered by Greece and inhabited since prehistoric times, Bulgaria was home to some of the earliest civilizations in Europe. Peoples like the Thracians and Celts have inhabited it over different periods of time, leaving a lot of fascinating relics and artefacts. Later, the country was part of the Byzantine and Ottoman empires. A lot of this heritage can be seen and experienced at Sofia’s different museums. The immense National History Museum is a standout, but history lovers will also appreciate the Ethnographic Museum, the Museum of Natural History, and the Institute of Archaeology.
- Art. Birthplace of the Cyrillic script, Bulgaria has been heavily influenced by the Eastern Orthodox church, with most Bulgarians still adhering to this branch of faith to this day. There are many beautiful Orthodox churches in Sofia, the most famous example being the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. Located next door to it is the National Art Gallery, home to an impressive collection of Orthodox paintings and icons. Artworks of classical Bulgarian painters and other artists can be seen here as well. On a more recent note, Sofia is also home to the much-visited Museum of Socialist Art.
- Vitosha. A mountain massif located right next to the capital, Vitosha is a favourite weekend getaway for locals and tourists alike. With its highest peak reaching almost 2,300 meters (7,520 feet), Vitosha is a popular place with climbers and hikers and also has opportunities for skiing and snowboarding in winter. The range’s scenic trails take visitors through historic Bulgarian villages, protected nature, and also near Duhlata Cave, the longest in the country. Located less than an hour’s drive south of the city centre, Vitosha is a must-visit destination.
- Plovdiv. The second city of Bulgaria is almost a two-hour drive southeast of the capital, but the relatively long drive is worth it. One of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in Europe and often called the cultural capital, Plovdiv is home to ancient sites like the Roman Amphitheater, a well-preserved old town, and plenty of atmosphere.
Top international routes
Most popular types of hire car
- Station wagons - starting at £ 4 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 4 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 5 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 8 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 27 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 2 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 6 per day
Car hire desks
Budget, Enterprise, Avis, Add Car (serviced by EasyRent Bulgaria), Sixt, and Alamo have desks only in Terminal 2.
All of the rental companies except for Prestige offer a meet a greet service at the airport. That is, a representative of the company will meet you at the airport and take you to their rental office.
Prestige offers a delivery service, that is, they will deliver the car to the airport for you.
Services and facilities
Nearest petrol station
Others coming from the south of the city and returning a car to one of the terminals will find an OMV station along Alexander Malinov Blvd just north of the intersection with Andrey Saharov Street the most convenient. After this station, the road becomes highway-like with no further entrances prior to reaching the airport.
Those coming from the south and returning a car to off-airport locations could exit onto Christopher Columbus Blvd. to reach a Shell station and then continue along that road to the off-airport rental locations.
Popular one-way hires
- Burgas (381km / 236 miles)
- Varna (440km / 273 miles)
- Plovdiv (144km / 89 miles)
- Bucharest (355km / 220 miles)
- Golden Sands(456km / 283 miles)
- Sunny Beach (406km / 252 miles)
Sofia Airport (SOF)
- IATA: SOF
- ICAO: LBSF
- Name: Sofia Airport (SOF)
- Distance from the city centre: 6.2 miles / 10 km
Map of Car Hire Destinations
In which month is car hire at Sofia Airport the most affordable?
This information can help you determine the low season. But note that these prices are only averages. The cost of your hire is determined by the type of car you select, the length of time you hire it for and how much in advance you book. Simply type in your dates in the form at the top of the page in order to find out the exact prices.
What’s the usual hire length for renters at Sofia Airport?
Which time of year sees the highest demand for car hire at Sofia Airport?
Car Hire Information
|Popular suppliers||Top Rent A Car, CarRent, Low Cost Cars, Fly Rent A Car, GreenMotion|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, People Carriers|
|Lowest price||£ 2 per day|
|Cheapest supplier||Yes Rent A Car|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Top Rent A Car||Citroen C3||5||1||Small cars|
|Top Rent A Car||Hyundai i20||5||1||Small cars|
|Low Cost Cars||Dacia Sandero||5||1||Small cars|
|Fly Rent A Car||Volkswagen Polo||5||2||Small cars|
|Low Cost Cars||Renault Clio Grandtour||5||2||Station wagons|
|Autounion||Peugeot 208||5||1||Small cars|
|Top Rent A Car||Renault Clio||5||1||Small cars|
|Fly Rent A Car||Volkswagen Golf||5||3||Medium cars|
|Top Rent A Car||Opel Mokka||5||2||SUVs|
|Top Rent A Car||Ford Custom Tourneo||5||2||People Carriers|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.