Car Hire at Sofia Airport
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Airport Car Hire
An underrated destination, Bulgaria hasn’t yet reached the international tourism profile of its neighbours like Greece or Croatia. Even when travellers do visit the country, they usually go to Varna, Burgas, and the rest of the Black Sea coast. But those who give its inland capital, Sofia, a chance, discover an interesting, dynamic city with a fascinating history, an incredible culture, and beautiful nature all around it. Here are our top destinations in and around it:
- History museums. Bordered by Greece and inhabited since prehistoric times, Bulgaria was home to some of the earliest civilizations in Europe. Peoples like the Thracians and Celts have inhabited it over different periods of time, leaving a lot of fascinating relics and artefacts. Later, the country was part of the Byzantine and Ottoman empires. A lot of this heritage can be seen and experienced at Sofia’s different museums. The immense National History Museum is a standout, but history lovers will also appreciate the Ethnographic Museum, the Museum of Natural History, and the Institute of Archaeology.
- Art. Birthplace of the Cyrillic script, Bulgaria has been heavily influenced by the Eastern Orthodox church, with most Bulgarians still adhering to this branch of faith to this day. There are many beautiful Orthodox churches in Sofia, the most famous example being the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. Located next door to it is the National Art Gallery, home to an impressive collection of Orthodox paintings and icons. Artworks of classical Bulgarian painters and other artists can be seen here as well. On a more recent note, Sofia is also home to the much-visited Museum of Socialist Art.
- Vitosha. A mountain massif located right next to the capital, Vitosha is a favourite weekend getaway for locals and tourists alike. With its highest peak reaching almost 2,300 meters (7,520 feet), Vitosha is a popular place with climbers and hikers and also has opportunities for skiing and snowboarding in winter. The range’s scenic trails take visitors through historic Bulgarian villages, protected nature, and also near Duhlata Cave, the longest in the country. Located less than an hour’s drive south of the city centre, Vitosha is a must-visit destination.
- Plovdiv. The second city of Bulgaria is almost a two-hour drive southeast of the capital, but the relatively long drive is worth it. One of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in Europe and often called the cultural capital, Plovdiv is home to ancient sites like the Roman Amphitheater, a well-preserved old town, and plenty of atmosphere.
Top international routes
Most popular types of hire car
- Station wagons - starting at £ 63 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 87 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 63 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 246 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 168 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 42 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 110 per day
Car hire desks
Budget, Enterprise, Avis, Add Car (serviced by EasyRent Bulgaria), Sixt, and Alamo have desks only in Terminal 2.
All of the rental companies except for Prestige offer a meet a greet service at the airport. That is, a representative of the company will meet you at the airport and take you to their rental office.
Prestige offers a delivery service, that is, they will deliver the car to the airport for you.
Services and facilities
Nearest petrol station
Others coming from the south of the city and returning a car to one of the terminals will find an OMV station along Alexander Malinov Blvd just north of the intersection with Andrey Saharov Street the most convenient. After this station, the road becomes highway-like with no further entrances prior to reaching the airport.
Those coming from the south and returning a car to off-airport locations could exit onto Christopher Columbus Blvd. to reach a Shell station and then continue along that road to the off-airport rental locations.
Popular one-way hires
- Burgas (381km / 236 miles)
- Varna (440km / 273 miles)
- Plovdiv (144km / 89 miles)
- Bucharest (355km / 220 miles)
- Golden Sands(456km / 283 miles)
- Sunny Beach (406km / 252 miles)
Sofia Airport (SOF)
- IATA: SOF
- ICAO: LBSF
- Name: Sofia Airport (SOF)
- Size: Large Airport
- Flights per year: 57,673
- Passengers (per year): 6,490,096
- Distance from the city centre: 6.2 miles / 10 km E of town
- Phone: +359 (0) 29372211
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Top 18 Destinations around Sofia Airport
Sofia Sveta Gora starting at £ 31.24 per day
Sofia Delivery within city limits starting at £ 32.93 per day8.9 km / 5.5 miles away
Pernik Delivery within city limits starting at £ 22.87 per day30.8 km / 19.1 miles away
Botevgrad Delivery within city limits starting at £ 13.39 per day40.1 km / 24.9 miles away
Borovets Delivery to Hotel starting at £ 56.07 per day48.3 km / 30.0 miles away
Blagoevgrad Delivery within city limits starting at £ 16.64 per day77.4 km / 48.1 miles away
Razlog Delivery within city limits starting at £ 18.59 per day88.0 km / 54.7 miles away
Pazardzhik Delivery within city limits starting at £ 12.84 per day92.7 km / 57.6 miles away
Bansko Delivery to Hotel starting at £ 61.41 per day93.5 km / 58.1 miles away
Dobrinishte Delivery within city limits starting at £ 18.59 per day95.9 km / 59.6 miles away
Asenovgrad Delivery within city limits starting at £ 11.54 per day124.1 km / 77.1 miles away
Plovdiv Delivery to Hotel starting at £ 26.65 per day124.6 km / 77.4 miles away
Pleven Delivery within city limits starting at £ 18.59 per day127.3 km / 79.1 miles away
Pamporovo Delivery to Hotel starting at £ 15.44 per day155.3 km / 96.5 miles away
Gabrovo Delivery within city limits starting at £ 18.69 per day157.0 km / 97.5 miles away
Smolyan Delivery within city limits starting at £ 17.39 per day161.4 km / 100.3 miles away
Kazanluk Delivery within city limits starting at £ 17.39 per day162.0 km / 100.7 miles away
Stara Zagora Delivery within city limits starting at £ 68.53 per day183.8 km / 114.2 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car at Sofia Airport?
What’s the most popular hire length at Sofia Airport?
Which month sees the highest demand for car hire at Sofia Airport?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Surprice||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|CarRent||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|Surprice||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|Yes Rent A Car||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|Autounion||Volkswagen Up||5||2||Small cars|
|Yes Rent A Car||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|Top Rent A Car||Citroen C3||5||1||Small cars|
|Top Rent A Car||VW T-Roc||5||2||SUVs|
|Top Rent A Car||Renault Clio||5||1||Small cars|
|CarRent||Renault Megane||5||2||Medium cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.