Car Rental in Sofia
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Sofia?
Sofia is a great place to explore. Home to a fascinating religious and political history, it has a unique atmosphere and no shortage of notable landmarks. The city is also a short ride away from a number of Bulgaria’s most interesting destinations, such as the Vitosha mountain, and can serve as a base for exploring the northwestern part of the country.
One-Way Car Rentals in Sofia
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Sofia and drop off in another city include:
- From Sofia to Burgas - 747 offers from ₪ 40.46 per day
- From Sofia to Varna - 386 offers from ₪ 45.37 per day
- From Sofia to Bucharest - 15 offers from ₪ 110.95 per day
- From Sofia to Skopje - 15 offers from ₪ 110.95 per day
- From Sofia to Sarajevo - 21 offers from ₪ 161.39 per day
Top ways to enter Sofia
- Sofia Airport: The busiest in the country, Sofia Airport handled 6.9 million travelers in 2018. The airport is a large hub for the national carrier Bulgaria Air and is also popular with low-cost airlines like Ryanair, Wizz Air, and easyJet. Located 13 km (8.1 mi) east of the city center, the airport can be reached in about 15 minutes.
- Plovdiv Airport: A tiny international airport serving Bulgaria’s second city, Plovdiv-Krumovo offers year-round flights to and from London, as well as seasonal connections with Tel Aviv and Moscow. Located 167 km (104 mi) southeast of the capital, the airport can be reached in about two hours.
- Burgas Airport: Serving the city of the same name on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast, Burgas Airport handled 3.2 million travelers in 2018. The airport is especially active during the summer months when it has flights by more than 30 different airlines. Located 390 km (242 mi) from Sofia, Burgas Airport takes about four hours to reach by car.
- Varna Airport: Also located on the Black Sea coast, Varna Airport has flights by around 20 airlines. In addition to many seasonal flights, there are year-round connections to Italy, Germany, Austria, Russia, and many other European countries. Located 430 km (267 mi) east of Sofia, the airport can be reached in five hours.
- Istanbul Airport: Opened in October 2018, Istanbul Airport is expected to serve over 50 million travelers in its first full year of operation. The main hub of Turkish Airlines and offering flights by tens of other airlines, the airport provides connections with destinations in all the inhabited continents of the planet. Located 540 km (335 mi) southeast of Sofia, Istanbul Airport can be reached in 5 hours and 40 minutes. You’ll have to cross an international border, so ask your rental provider in advance if they permit it (if not, you can go by public transportation and pick up a rental car after arriving in Sofia). Also, make sure you don’t need a visa to enter either Bulgaria or Turkey (each country has its own visa policy).
- By rail: If you're arriving in Sofia by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at the Sofia Central Railway Station.
- Sofia is located at the foothills of Vitosha mountain massif. Its peak reaches nearly 3000 meters (9842 ft) above sea level.
- Sofia has a humid continental climate. The average temperature in January is -0.6 °C (31 °F), although colder temperatures are not uncommon and the city sees snow almost every year. Summers, on the other hand, are warm and can even be scorching hot during July and August.
Top destinations and activities
- Sofia Central Mineral Baths. First built during the Ottoman days, rebuilt numerous times, and in active use until as recently as 1980s, this beautiful complex of mineral baths and saunas is a unique landmark of Sofia.
- National Museum of History. This museum lets you experience Bulgaria's long and varied history, from its recent 20th Century past to ancient history when the land was settled by such different peoples as Thracians, Celts, Hellenes, and Romans.
- St. Aleksander Nevski Cathedral. The largest Christian Orthodox church in Southeast Europe and one of the most prominent ones in the world, this cathedral is a place where you can appreciate beautiful architecture and learn more about Bulgaria's leading religious denomination.
- The Ethnographic Museum. Also dedicated to Bulgarian history, but more focused on the aspects of everyday life, this is another interesting museum in Sofia. Run by the Institute of Ethnology and Folklore Studies, it features Bulgarian national costumes, objects relating to traditional occupations, and exhibitions on the traditional beliefs and culture of Bulgarians. The museum is located in the building of the former Royal Palace.
Traffic and parking
- Sofia experiences high traffic congestion. As a visitor, it’s a good idea to plan your travel around the city outside the main rush hours in the morning and in the evening.
- Outside main population areas and nature areas of national importance the road signs are often only written in Cyrillic. If you cannot read this alphabet, it’s a good idea to get a dictionary, perhaps in mobile format, to be able to read them.
- Speed cameras are in use.
- Drivers are only allowed to use mobile phones with a hands-free system.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for both experienced and novice drivers. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines. Driving with blood alcohol content of over 1.2% will lead to imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
For many motorways in Bulgaria you need to obtain a stamp or a highway vignette. The price of the stamp depends on the category (1 day, weekend, weekly, monthly, etc.) and on the type of car. You can purchase stamps online as well as in public selling points. Find out more on the official Bulgarian toll road website.
You also have to pay a fee for crossing certain bridges and for taking your car on a ferry to cross certain bodies of water. Find out more about the crossing points and the fees on the official European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Vitosha. Sofia is located at the foothills of the Vitosha mountain massif. Its peak reaches nearly 3000 meters (9842 ft), providing magnificent views of the city below. The mountain is part of a wider nature park that offers great hiking trails, and, if you're visiting in winter, you can also go skiing and snowboarding.
- Rila Monastery. Just 90 minutes drive from Sofia, Rila Monastery is one of the most important religious centers of Bulgaria, and, indeed, the region. The nature areas around the monastery are also very much worth exploring.
- Plovdiv. Bulgaria's second, Plovdiv is also considered by many to be one of the oldest cities in Europe. Full of history and atmosphere, it offers everything from ruins of Roman buildings to regional museums and great cuisine.
- Central Balkan National Park. Located near the geographical center of the country, this national park is primarily known for its mountainous landscape and is the location of Botev Peak which is, at 2,376 m (7,795 feet), the highest point of the Balkan mountains. The park is also home to thick woodlands inhabited by a variety of fauna and generally feels like one of the wildest places in the country. The drive from the capital takes about an hour and 45 minutes.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car types in Bulgarie are standard, economy, and compact. The most popular rental car is the VW Polo, although travelers also love the Renault Clio and the Ford Fiesta.
- Black Sea Coast. Perhaps Bulgaria's number one attraction, its Black Sea Coast is famous for resort towns like Burgas, Varna, and Sunny Beach. Visiting them is definitely recommended, but having your own ride will also let you find more private beaches up and down the coast.
- Romania. From its eclectic capital, Bucharest, to the mountains of Transylvania and cozy medieval cities like Brasov and Sibiu, Bulgaria’s northern neighbor is one of the up-and-coming destinations of Europe. The Danube, which forms a natural border between the two countries, is only about a three-hour drive from Sofia. Not every car rental supplier permits crossing the national border, so you should ask in advance. Also, despite being members of the European Union, neither country is a part of the Schengen Area and you may need a separate visa to enter them.
- Northern Greece. Located to the south, Greece is another fascinating neighbor of Romania. The northern part of this fascinating country includes destinations like the city of Thessaloniki (less than a four-hour drive from Sofia), Olympos National Park, and the Chalkidiki peninsula. As with Romania, ask your rental car supplier in advance if they permit you to travel to the neighboring country.
Car Rental Prices in Sofia
- Station wagons - from $71 per day
- Large cars - from $75 per day
- Medium cars - from $59 per day
- Vans - from $231 per day
- Premium cars - from $162 per day
- Small cars - from $41 per day
- SUVs - from $113 per day
These are some of the things you can do to get a good rental car deal in Sofia:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Sofia is the cheapest in December when renting a car is about 47% cheaper than the yearly average and about 64% cheaper than renting a car in August.
Top 14 Cities near Sofia
Burgas Car Rentals from $28.51 per day344.6 km / 214.1 miles away
Varna Car Rentals from $28.93 per day372.5 km / 231.5 miles away
Plovdiv Car Rentals from $27.73 per day144.8 km / 90.0 miles away
Golden Sands Car Rentals from $38.76 per day390.7 km / 242.8 miles away
Nessebar Car Rentals from $46.41 per day362.0 km / 224.9 miles away
Obzor Car Rentals from $38.76 per day373.8 km / 232.3 miles away
Tsarevo Car Rentals from $63.67 per day377.1 km / 234.3 miles away
Bansko Car Rentals from $74.46 per day96.5 km / 60.0 miles away
Pleven Car Rentals from $22.54 per day132.8 km / 82.5 miles away
Sliven Car Rentals from $19.39 per day246.1 km / 152.9 miles away
Ruse Car Rentals from $115.48 per day249.6 km / 155.1 miles away
Balchik Car Rentals from $16.04 per day402.4 km / 250.0 miles away
Gabrovo Car Rentals from $22.66 per day165.2 km / 102.7 miles away
Blagoevgrad Car Rentals from $20.18 per day77.0 km / 47.8 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Sofia
Sofia Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $39.93 per day
Sofia Hotel Balkan Car Rentals from $29.29 per day1.3 km / 0.8 miles away
Sofia Airport Car Rentals from $12.45 per day8.2 km / 5.1 miles away
Sofia Sveta Gora Car Rentals from $37.88 per day8.9 km / 5.5 miles away
Pernik Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $27.73 per day23.5 km / 14.6 miles away
Botevgrad Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $16.24 per day45.9 km / 28.5 miles away
Borovets Delivery to Hotel Car Rentals from $67.99 per day53.7 km / 33.3 miles away
Blagoevgrad Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $20.18 per day77.0 km / 47.8 miles away
Razlog Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $22.54 per day90.9 km / 56.5 miles away
Bansko Delivery to Hotel Car Rentals from $74.46 per day96.5 km / 60.0 miles away
Dobrinishte Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $22.54 per day99.4 km / 61.8 miles away
Pazardzhik Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $15.56 per day101.0 km / 62.8 miles away
Asenovgrad Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $14.00 per day125.7 km / 78.1 miles away
Pleven Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $22.54 per day132.8 km / 82.5 miles away
Plovdiv Delivery to Hotel Car Rentals from $32.32 per day133.3 km / 82.8 miles away
Plovdiv Airport Car Rentals from $27.73 per day144.8 km / 90.0 miles away
Pamporovo Delivery to Hotel Car Rentals from $18.72 per day162.8 km / 101.2 miles away
Gabrovo Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $22.66 per day165.2 km / 102.7 miles away
Smolyan Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $21.08 per day168.7 km / 104.8 miles away
Kazanluk Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $21.08 per day170.7 km / 106.1 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Sofia?
What’s the usual rental length in Sofia?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Sofia?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Surprice||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|CarRent||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|Surprice||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|Yes Rent A Car||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|Yes Rent A Car||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|Autounion||Volkswagen Up||5||2||Small cars|
|Top Rent A Car||VW T-Roc||5||2||SUVs|
|Top Rent A Car||Citroen C3||5||1||Small cars|
|Top Rent A Car||Renault Clio||5||1||Small cars|
|Top Rent A Car||Renault Clio V||5||2||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.