Car Rental in Sofia
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Sofia?
Sofia is a great place for renting a car. Having your own wheels will not only let you to explore this sprawling city, but also to travel to its nearby nature areas, as well as prolong your travels by visiting Bulgaria's beaches and mountains.
One-Way Car Rentals in Sofia
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Sofia and drop off in another city include:
- From Sofia to Burgas - 747 offers from 14.36 USD per day
- From Sofia to Varna - 386 offers from 16.11 USD per day
- From Sofia to Bucharest - 15 offers from 39.38 USD per day
- From Sofia to Skopje - 15 offers from 39.38 USD per day
- From Sofia to Sarajevo - 21 offers from 57.29 USD per day
Top ways to enter Sofia
- Sofia Airport: The busiest in the country, Sofia Airport handled 6.9 million travelers in 2018. The airport is a large hub for the national carrier Bulgaria Air and is also popular with low-cost airlines like Ryanair, Wizz Air, and easyJet. Located 13 km (8.1 mi) east of the city center, the airport can be reached in about 15 minutes.
- Plovdiv Airport: A tiny international airport serving Bulgaria’s second city, Plovdiv-Krumovo offers year-round flights to and from London, as well as seasonal connections with Tel Aviv and Moscow. Located 167 km (104 mi) southeast of the capital, the airport can be reached in about two hours.
- Burgas Airport: Serving the city of the same name on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast, Burgas Airport handled 3.2 million travelers in 2018. The airport is especially active during the summer months when it has flights by more than 30 different airlines. Located 390 km (242 mi) from Sofia, Burgas Airport takes about four hours to reach by car.
- Varna Airport: Also located on the Black Sea coast, Varna Airport has flights by around 20 airlines. In addition to many seasonal flights, there are year-round connections to Italy, Germany, Austria, Russia, and many other European countries. Located 430 km (267 mi) east of Sofia, the airport can be reached in five hours.
- Istanbul Airport: Opened in October 2018, Istanbul Airport is expected to serve over 50 million travelers in its first full year of operation. The main hub of Turkish Airlines and offering flights by tens of other airlines, the airport provides connections with destinations in all the inhabited continents of the planet. Located 540 km (335 mi) southeast of Sofia, Istanbul Airport can be reached in 5 hours and 40 minutes. You’ll have to cross an international border, so ask your rental provider in advance if they permit it (if not, you can go by public transportation and pick up a rental car after arriving in Sofia). Also, make sure you don’t need a visa to enter either Bulgaria or Turkey (each country has its own visa policy).
- By rail: If you're arriving in Sofia by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at the Sofia Central Railway Station.
Useful city facts
- Sofia is located at the foothills of Vitosha mountain massif. Its peak reaches nearly 3000 meters (9842 ft) above sea level.
- Sofia has a humid continental climate. The average temperature in January is -0.6 °C (31 °F), although colder temperatures are not uncommon and the city sees snow almost every year. Summers, on the other hand, are warm and can even be scorching hot during July and August.
Top destinations and activities
- Sofia Central Mineral Baths. First built during the Ottoman days, rebuilt numerous times, and in active use until as recently as 1980s, this beautiful complex of mineral baths and saunas is a unique landmark of Sofia.
- National Museum of History. This museum lets you experience Bulgaria's long and varied history, from its recent 20th Century past to ancient history when the land was settled by such different peoples as Thracians, Celts, Hellenes, and Romans.
- St. Aleksander Nevski Cathedral. The largest Christian Orthodox church in Southeast Europe and one of the most prominent ones in the world, this cathedral is a place where you can appreciate beautiful architecture and learn more about Bulgaria's leading religious denomination.
Traffic and parking tips
- Sofia experiences high traffic congestion. As a visitor, it’s a good idea to plan your travel around the city outside the main rush hours in the morning and in the evening.
- Outside main population areas and nature areas of national importance the road signs are often only written in Cyrillic. If you cannot read this alphabet, it’s a good idea to get a dictionary, perhaps in mobile format, to be able to read them.
- Speed cameras are in use.
- Drivers are only allowed to use mobile phones with a hands-free system.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for both experienced and novice drivers. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines. Driving with blood alcohol content of over 1.2% will lead to imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
For many motorways in Bulgaria you need to obtain a stamp or a highway vignette. The price of the stamp depends on the category (1 day, weekend, weekly, monthly, etc.) and on the type of car. You can purchase stamps online as well as in public selling points. Find out more on the official Bulgarian toll road website.
You also have to pay a fee for crossing certain bridges and for taking your car on a ferry to cross certain bodies of water. Find out more about the crossing points and the fees on the official European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Vitosha. Sofia is located at the foothills of the Vitosha mountain massif. Its peak reaches nearly 3000 meters (9842 ft), providing magnificent views of the city below. The mountain is part of a wider nature park that offers great hiking trails, and, if you're visiting in winter, you can also go skiing and snowboarding.
- Rila Monastery. Just 90 minutes drive from Sofia, Rila Monastery is one of the most important religious centers of Bulgaria, and, indeed, the region. The nature areas around the monastery are also very much worth exploring.
- Plovdiv. Bulgaria's second, Plovdiv is also considered by many to be one of the oldest cities in Europe. Full of history and atmosphere, it offers everything from ruins of Roman buildings to regional museums and great cuisine.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car types in Bulgarie are standard, economy, and compact. The most popular rental car is the VW Polo, although travelers also love the Renault Clio and the Ford Fiesta.
- Black Sea Coast. Perhaps Bulgaria's number one attraction, its Black Sea Coast is famous for resort towns like Burgas, Varna, and Sunny Beach. Visiting them is definitely recommended, but having your own ride will also let you find more private beaches up and down the coast.
- Romania. Bulgaria's northern neighbor has plenty to offer to any traveler, from its eclectic capital Bucharest and cozy medieval cities like Brasov and Sibiu to majestic Carpathian mountains. Note that you'll have to cross a national border, so do get in touch with your rental car provider in advance to make sure they permit it.
- Northern Greece. Bordering Bulgaria, this region of Greece is famous for historic landmarks, wild nature areas, and the beautiful city of Thessaloniki. Note that you'll have to cross a national border, so do get in touch with your rental car provider in advance to make sure they permit it.
Car Rental Prices in Sofia
- Station wagons - from $41 per day
- Large cars - from $64 per day
- Medium cars - from $52 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $80 per day
- Premium cars - from $155 per day
- Small cars - from $35 per day
- SUVs - from $86 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
These are some of the things you can do to get a good rental car deal in Sofia:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Sofia is the cheapest in December when renting a car is about 47% cheaper than the yearly average and about 64% cheaper than renting a car in August.
Top 5 Cities near Sofia
Burgas Car Rentals from $22.16 per day343.6 km / 213.5 miles away
Varna Car Rentals from $22.16 per day371.7 km / 231.0 miles away
Plovdiv Car Rentals from $25.14 per day143.4 km / 89.1 miles away
Ravda Car Rentals from $32.29 per day356.4 km / 221.5 miles away
Balchik Car Rentals from $30.89 per day401.7 km / 249.6 miles away
Top 11 Locations near Sofia
Downtown Car Rentals from $17.88 per day
Sofia Hotel Balkan Car Rentals from $38.36 per day1.4 km / 0.9 miles away
Sofia Airport Car Rentals from $13.48 per day7.3 km / 4.5 miles away
Sofia Airport Terminal 2 Car Rentals from $18.99 per day7.3 km / 4.5 miles away
Plovdiv Airport Car Rentals from $25.14 per day143.4 km / 89.1 miles away
Burgas Airport Car Rentals from $22.16 per day343.6 km / 213.5 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $22.16 per day343.7 km / 213.5 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $32.29 per day356.4 km / 221.5 miles away
Varna Airport Car Rentals from $22.16 per day371.7 km / 231.0 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $26.60 per day378.4 km / 235.1 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $30.89 per day401.7 km / 249.6 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Sofia?
What’s the usual rental length in Sofia?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Sofia?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Surprice||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Citroen C3||4||2||Small cars|
|AddCar||Toyota Yaris||5||3||Medium cars|
|Surprice||Hyundai i30||5||2||Medium cars|
|Autounion||Volkswagen Up||5||2||Small cars|
|MEX RENT A CAR||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|AddCar||Renault Megane||4||2||Large cars|
|GreenMotion||Skoda Fabia||3||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||VW Golf STW||5||3||Station wagons|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 16 Suppliers in Sofia in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.5 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email