Car Hire at Faro Airport
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Airport Car Hire
Faro, the gateway to the Algarve region of Portugal, is an ever-popular year-round destination for holidaymaking Brits year-round. And many of those choose to hire a car for their holiday. Many also own holiday homes and choose to hire a car each time they visit.
Chances are, if you haven't visited the Algarve, you know someone who has. You'll probably know that the region's beaches and sunny weather are what draws holidaymakers. Most visitors don't stay just in Faro but seek out the smaller towns, resorts, and beaches.
Tolls: Note that the A22 is a toll road. It is certainly possible to get around the region without using it. Your car hire supplier may offer you an electronic transponder with which you can pay the tolls. However, if you don't want to pay the extra fee that they request, it is easy to avoid the toll roads unless you are traveling further north to Lisbon or west to Spain.
Driving to Spain: The Spanish border is only roughly 60km from Faro Airport. You can take most hire cars from Faro Airport to Spain. However, note that there is an additional fee to cross the border which varies from company to company and that you must inform the hire company ahead of time.
So don't wait! Plan your trip to the Algrave, hire a car, and enjoy the sunny beaches! And here are some destinations to put on your list:
- Faro itself. Industrial and less quaint than some of its smaller Algarvian neighbors, the capital of the region is often seen as not much more than the location of the region’s only international airport. But give this city a chance, and you’ll be rewarded with a number of fun attractions and sites like a well-preserved old town, the chillingly exciting Bone Chapel, the Faro Jewish Heritage Center, and Ria Formosa Nature Park.
- Albufeira. Small, scenic, and home to a number of beautiful public beaches, this is the Algarve that most foreign visitors have in mind before coming to the region. In addition to the aforementioned virtues, Albufeira is famous for the imposing Almoada Castle, Albufeira Archaeology Museum (home to a number of fascinating Arab and Roman artifacts), and some of the most exciting nightlife in the region.
- Alentejo. Bordering Algarve to the north, Alentejo is Portugal’s wine country. Best enjoyed at a slow pace, the bucolic region is home to a number of eco, farm, and winemaking tours. There are also two UNESCO World Heritage Sites — the historical cities of Evora and Elva — as well as a long, wild coastline.
Top international routes
Most popular types of hire car
- Convertibles - starting at £ 6 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 4 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 10 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 2 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 10 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 16 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 2 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 3 per day
Car hire desks
All other hire companies at Faro Airport are located just outside the airport's territory and provide either a Meet & Greet service or a shuttle bus. No matter which, passengers need to leave the airport and go to the P4 car park to wait for the bus or representative.
If you need help decided which company to use, check out our article on the best car hire companies in Faro.
Services and facilities
Nearest petrol station
Faro Airport (FAO)
- IATA: FAO
- ICAO: LPFR
- Name: Faro Airport (FAO)
- Distance from the city centre: 2.5 miles / 4 km
Top 8 Destinations around Faro Airport
215.8 km / 134.1 miles away
Car Hire at Lisbon Airport starting at £ 0.90 per day219.8 km / 136.6 miles away
Car Hire at Lisbon Prior Velho starting at £ 1.96 per day221.0 km / 137.3 miles away
462.3 km / 287.3 miles away
Car Hire in Porto (Downtown) starting at £ 3.22 per day463.6 km / 288.1 miles away
Car Hire in Porto Boavista starting at £ 4.18 per day464.0 km / 288.3 miles away
Car Hire at Porto Airport starting at £ 1.04 per day474.3 km / 294.7 miles away
Car Hire at Madeira Airport (Funchal) starting at £ 3.43 per day935.6 km / 581.4 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
In which month is car hire at Faro Airport the most affordable?
This information can help you determine the low season. But note that these prices are only averages. The cost of your hire is determined by the type of car you select, the length of time you hire it for and how much in advance you book. Simply type in your dates in the form at the top of the page in order to find out the exact prices.
What’s the usual hire length for renters at Faro Airport?
Which time of year sees the highest demand for car hire at Faro Airport?
Car Hire Information
|Popular suppliers||Autorent, Goldcar, Klass Wagen, Drive on Holidays, Discovery Cars|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, SUVs, Medium cars, Station wagons|
|Lowest price||£ 2 per day|
|Cheapest supplier||Klass Wagen|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Autorent||Volkswagen Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Klass Wagen||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Drive on Holidays||Volkswagen Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Turisprime||Volkswagen Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|Klass Wagen||Toyota Aygo||3||1||Small cars|
|Autorent||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|EPI Rent a Car||Seat Ibiza||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.