Car Hire in Faro
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Offers
Why hire a car in Faro?
Faro is a great place to visit. Busy but friendly, it offers great restaurants, varied accommodation opportunities, and long sea coast. It is a great base for exploring the rest of Algarve.
One-way Car Hire in Faro
The most popular one-way car hire options for pick up in Faro and drop off in another city include:
- From Faro to Lisbon - 376 offers from £ 7.56 per day
- From Faro to Porto - 367 offers from £ 7.56 per day
- From Faro to Malaga - 24 offers from £ 62.01 per day
- From Faro to Stuttgart - 12 offers from £ 128.93 per day
- From Faro to Seville - 12 offers from £ 43.41 per day
Top ways to enter Faro
- Faro Airport: Also known as Algarve Airport, it is especially active during summers when many low-cost carriers connect it with destinations all across Europe.
- Lisbon Airport: About 275 km (170 mi) north, Portugal’s largest airport is among the 20 busiest airports in Europe and hosts flights to and from all continents of the world.
- Seville Airport: Located in neighboring Spain about 200 km (125 mi) east of Faro, Seville Airport is another great way to reach Faro if your rental car provider permits crossing the border in the rental car.
Useful city facts
- Summers are warm to hot and sunny with average daytime temperatures of 27–35 °C (81–95 °F). The weather in the autumn and winter is generally mild with temperatures around 8–17 °C (46–63 °F). Winters are much more humid than summers.
- Faro is the southernmost city of Portugal and the capital of the Algarve region, with the population of about 65,000 people.
Top destinations and activities
- Old town (Centro Historico). Better preserved than many other old towns of Portugal, the historic center is a place where you walk the maze of narrow streets, observe varied architecture, and see what living in Faro was like more than 200 years ago.
- Bone Chapel. Chilling to some and fascinating for others, Capela dos Ossos is made out of bones taken from a nearby monk graveyard. The chapel is inside the beautiful Carmo church.
- Praia do Faro. Although not as famous as some of the other beaches of Algarve, Faro’s main beach is a great place to enjoy the sun and the sea. There are many other, more secluded beaches near the city that you can reach with your car.
Traffic and parking tips
- You can only enter the roundabout after giving way to cars already on it.
- The car documentation and insurance always has to be inside a vehicle.
- Drivers can only use a mobile phone if it is a hands free or an earpiece.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- Safety cameras are in use.
- When parking in a street, your car must be parked facing the direction of travel
A lot of motorways in Portugal are subject to toll fees. See Portugal's official toll road website site for maps and fees.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Ria Formosa Natural Park. Less than a 30 minute ride from Faro, Ria Formosa is a system of barrier islands in a lagoon next to the Atlantic Coast. Green and calm, it is home to countless bird species, as well as a few cozy little villages that are fun to visit.
- Albufeira, Lagos, and Sagres. Perhaps even more famous than Faro, this small beach towns each have their unique atmosphere and characteristics. Albufeira and Lagos can be reached in about an hour, and Sagres is just a bit further along the coast. Visit all three of them and pick your favorite!
- Southwest Alentejo and Vicentine Coast Natural Park. A long and green stretch along Portugal’s southwest coast, this nature park spans two regions of Portugal. Most of its territory is not accessible by car, but you can conveniently park at one of the entry points and go on a long hike.
Most popular hire types and cars
The most hired cars in Portugal are the VW Polo, the Ford Fiesta, and the Fiat 500. The most popular car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- Alentejo. Algarve’s less glamorous neighbor is a fun place to visit not only for its great winemaking traditions, but also for historic towns, beautiful countryside, and leisurely pace of life.
- Lisbon. Portugal’s busy yet hospitable capital is considered one of the most interesting cities in Europe for a reason. Go there for history, architecture, music, and people.
- Andalusia. Spain’s southernmost region is a great place to visit, both because of its close proximity to Portugal and because of its fascinating Moorish buildings, strong regional character, and great food. Note that you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car hire provider first to make sure they permit it.
Car Hire Prices in Faro
- Convertibles - starting at £ 34 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 28 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 32 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 27 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - starting at £ 35 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 50 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 17 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 34 per day
How can I save money on my hire car?
There are things you can do to get a good rental car hire in Faro:
- Compare rates of different car hire providers
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Faro is the cheapest in January when hiring a car is about 50% cheaper than the yearly average.
- Check out our list of the best car hire companies in Faro.
Top 13 Cities near Faro
Lisbon starting at £ 5.14 per day217.0 km / 134.8 miles away
Porto starting at £ 22.07 per day465.5 km / 289.3 miles away
Madeira starting at £ 7.29 per day950.5 km / 590.6 miles away
951.7 km / 591.4 miles away
Benfica starting at £ 10.69 per day220.4 km / 136.9 miles away
Lagos starting at £ 8.31 per day63.8 km / 39.6 miles away
Quarteira starting at £ 5.26 per day13.3 km / 8.3 miles away
Vilamoura starting at £ 7.06 per day14.8 km / 9.2 miles away
Albufeira starting at £ 5.71 per day25.3 km / 15.7 miles away
Coimbra starting at £ 4.97 per day357.1 km / 221.9 miles away
54.9 km / 34.1 miles away
Aveiro starting at £ 5.67 per day406.9 km / 252.8 miles away
Armacao de Pera starting at £ 8.31 per day38.1 km / 23.7 miles away
Top 15 Destinations around Faro
Faro Montenegro starting at £ 8.26 per day
Faro Airport starting at £ 2.70 per day1.6 km / 1.0 miles away
Lisbon Hotel Tivoli starting at £ 5.74 per day214.6 km / 133.4 miles away
Lisbon Alameda starting at £ 3.95 per day215.6 km / 134.0 miles away
Lisbon Sao Sebastiao starting at £ 3.95 per day216.1 km / 134.3 miles away
Oriente Railway Station starting at £ 3.95 per day217.2 km / 135.0 miles away
Lisbon Airport starting at £ 1.72 per day218.7 km / 135.9 miles away
Lisbon Prior Velho starting at £ 5.67 per day219.8 km / 136.6 miles away
Coimbra Railway Station starting at £ 4.97 per day355.6 km / 220.9 miles away
Porto Sao Bento Railway station starting at £ 5.28 per day460.8 km / 286.3 miles away
Porto Campanha Railway Station starting at £ 6.10 per day461.0 km / 286.4 miles away
Porto Boavista starting at £ 6.10 per day462.6 km / 287.4 miles away
Porto Ramalde starting at £ 22.07 per day464.0 km / 288.3 miles away
Porto Airport starting at £ 1.94 per day472.8 km / 293.8 miles away
Madeira Airport (Funchal) starting at £ 3.92 per day936.7 km / 582.0 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in Faro?
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Faro?
What month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Faro?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Autorent||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Drive on Holidays||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Autorent||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|
|Turisprime||Volkswagen Up||5||2||Small cars|
|Autorent||Ford Focus STW||5||3||Station wagons|
|Turisprime||VW Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Autorent||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|