Car Hire in Portugal
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Offers
Why hire a car in Portugal?
Portugal is a great place to explore by car. From cities like Lisbon and Porto to beaches of Algarve, historic attractions like Sintra, and surfing meccas like Peniche and Nazaré, there are countless places to visit and explore, and having your own ride will allow you to go see them all during the same trip.
This article is about the mainland Portugal and the Madeira island. For information about the Autonomous Region of Azores Islands, see the article of Portugal-Azores.
If you want to know more about renting a car in Portugal, don't miss our complete guide.
One-way Car Hire in Portugal
Here are the most popular one-way car hire options for pickup in Portugal and drop off in another country:
- From Portugal to Spain - 336 offers from £ 40.55 per day
- From Portugal to Germany - 48 offers from £ 125.70 per day
- From Portugal to Italy - 24 offers from £ 126.10 per day
- From Portugal to France - 24 offers from £ 126.10 per day
Top ways to enter Portugal
- Lisbon Airport: Portugal’s largest airport serves flights to and from nearly all European countries, as well as destinations in Africa, Asia, and the Americas.
- Porto Airport: Large, modern, and well-connected, Porto Airport is popular with low-cost carriers like easyJet and Ryanair.
- Faro Airport: Well-connected to the rest of Europe and especially active during summers, Faro Airport serves the southern region of Algarve.
- Madeira Funchal Airport: Located on Madeira’s western coast, Funchal Airport connects the island not only to the mainland Portugal, but also to many destinations in Europe, and is served by more than 40 different airlines.
- By land: If your car provider permits it, it’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Portugal. Some large international airports near Portugal are Malaga Airport, Seville Airport, and Madrid Airport in Spain.
Top cities and places to visit
- Lisbon: Portugal’s capital is often mentioned as one of the most interesting cities in Europe, and that’s for a good reason - its culture, food, and nightlife won’t let anyone leave disappointed.
- Porto and the North: Different in looks and atmosphere from its large southern rival, Lisbon, Porto is just as fascinating. A metropolis of arts and architecture, it is the capital of Northern Portugal, a region worth exploring in its own right.
- Madeira: Madeira is an archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean and an Autonomous region of Portugal. It is best reached by plane, but, once you land in its capital Funchal, hiring a car is the best way to travel around Madeira to explore its volcanic landscapes and distinct culture.
- Algarve: Portugal’s southernmost region is famous for its beaches, as well as charming little towns like Albufeira, Lagos, and Sagres on the Atlantic Coast. Traveling the roads less traveled that lead inland and higher up into the mountains to towns like Monchique can be just as rewarding.
- Sintra: Just a scenic 30 minutes drive away from Lisbon, the whole town of Sintra and its surrounding nature have been classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The main attractions include Sintra National Palace and the Moorish Castle, as well as other monuments of architecture.
- Aveiro: A city dating back to pre-Roman times, Aveiro is known for its canals (and like Venice, gondolas traveling through them), art noveau architecture, and stunning cathedrals.
Most popular hire car
The most hired car in Portugal is the VW Polo, but travelers also tend to pick the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500 a lot.
Portugal has a land border with only one other country, Spain. Like Portugal, Spain is a member of the European Union (EU) and the Schengen Area, meaning that the entry requirements for Spain are the same as for Portugal.
Some car hire companies allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals on our FAQ section.
Most popular types of hire car
The most popular hired car type in Portugal is an Economy, followed by Compact and Mini.
Top driving routes
- Porto - Lisbon (313 km / 194 mi) The distance between these two can be done in about three hours, although you might be tempted to stop in the historic city of Coimbra or make a small detour and visit Nazaré on the Atlantic Coast, one of the top surfing spots in Europe.
- Lisbon - Faro (278 km / 173 mi) It takes less than three hours to go from the capital to the largest city of Algarve. Knowing that you’ll be passing the wine-making region Alentejo on the way, however, might make you want to break up this trip into two or three days.
- Lisbon - Madrid (629 km / 381 mi) The capital of Spain, Madrid, is about six hours drive away from Lisbon, meaning you can have your breakfast in one and dinner in the other. On your way you’ll pass through the interior of Portugal and Extremadura in Spain, two regions that are sparsely populated and not frequently visited by tourists, but have lots of beautiful nature to explore. Note that you’ll have to cross a national border, so ask your car hire company in advance to make sure they permit it.
Car Hire Prices
- Convertibles - starting at £ 34 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 18 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 36 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 17 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - starting at £ 44 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 56 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 11 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 21 per day
How can I save money on my hire car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car hire deal in Portugal:
- Compare rates of different car hire companies
- Book your vehicle well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the car hire prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Portugal is the cheapest in March when hiring a car is about 50% cheaper than the yearly average and a whopping 66% cheaper than hiring a car in November.
Top 12 Most Popular Cities in Portugal
Car Hire in Lisbon starting at £ 3.93 per day
Car Hire in Porto starting at £ 6.07 per day
Car Hire in Faro starting at £ 2.69 per day
Car Hire in Madeira starting at £ 3.91 per day
Car Hire in Benfica starting at £ 10.64 per day
Car Hire in Aveiro starting at £ 5.65 per day
Car Hire in Lagos starting at £ 8.27 per day
Car Hire in Coimbra starting at £ 5.65 per day
Car Hire in Albufeira starting at £ 5.69 per day
Car Hire in Quarteira starting at £ 5.24 per day
Car Hire in Vilamoura starting at £ 7.03 per day
Top 19 Most Popular Destinations in Portugal
Car Hire at Lisbon Airport starting at £ 1.71 per day
Car Hire at Porto Airport starting at £ 1.94 per day
Car Hire at Faro Airport starting at £ 2.69 per day
Car Hire at Lisbon Prior Velho starting at £ 5.65 per day
Car Hire at Oriente Railway Station starting at £ 3.93 per day
Car Hire at Madeira Airport (Funchal) starting at £ 3.91 per day
Car Hire at Porto Campanha Railway Station starting at £ 6.07 per day
Car Hire in Lisbon Alameda starting at £ 3.93 per day
Car Hire in Lisbon Sao Sebastiao starting at £ 3.93 per day
Car Hire at Lisbon Hotel Tivoli starting at £ 5.71 per day
Car Hire in Porto Boavista starting at £ 6.07 per day
Car Hire at Porto Sao Bento Railway Station starting at £ 5.26 per day
Car Hire in Porto Ramalde starting at £ 21.98 per day
Car Hire in Faro Montenegro starting at £ 8.23 per day
Car Hire at Coimbra Railway Station starting at £ 4.95 per day
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in Portugal?
How many days do people keep their hire cars, on average, in Portugal?
What month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Portugal?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Drive on Holidays||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Turisprime||Volkswagen Up||5||2||Small cars|
|Turisprime||VW Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|Record-go||Seat Ibiza||5||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||Renault Clio||4||2||Small cars|
|Record-go||Fiat 500 Lounge||4||1||Small cars|
|Autorent||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Opo rent||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|