Car Hire in Portugal
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Portugal?
Portugal is a great place to explore by car. From cities like Lisbon and Porto to beaches of Algarve, historic attractions like Sintra, and surfing meccas like Peniche and Nazaré, there are countless places to visit and explore, and having your own ride will allow you to go see them all during the same trip.
This article is about the mainland Portugal and the Madeira island. For information about the Autonomous Region of Azores Islands, see the article of Portugal-Azores.
If you want to know more about renting a car in Portugal, don't miss our complete guide.
One-way Car Hire in Portugal
Here are the most popular one-way car hire options for pickup in Portugal and drop off in another country:
- From Portugal to Spain - 336 offers from £ 40.80 per day
- From Portugal to Germany - 48 offers from £ 126.49 per day
- From Portugal to Italy - 24 offers from £ 126.90 per day
- From Portugal to France - 24 offers from £ 126.90 per day
Top ways to enter Portugal
- Lisbon Airport: Portugal’s largest airport serves flights to and from nearly all European countries, as well as destinations in Africa, Asia, and the Americas.
- Porto Airport: Large, modern, and well-connected, Porto Airport is popular with low-cost carriers like easyJet and Ryanair.
- Faro Airport: Well-connected to the rest of Europe and especially active during summers, Faro Airport serves the southern region of Algarve.
- Madeira Funchal Airport: Located on Madeira’s western coast, Funchal Airport connects the island not only to the mainland Portugal, but also to many destinations in Europe, and is served by more than 40 different airlines.
- By land: If your car provider permits it, it’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Portugal. Some large international airports near Portugal are Malaga Airport, Seville Airport, and Madrid Airport in Spain.
Top cities and places to visit
- Lisbon. Portugal’s capital is often mentioned as one of the most interesting cities in Europe, and for good reason — its culture, food, and nightlife won’t let anyone leave disappointed. Make sure to check out landmarks such as The 25th of April Bridge and Belem Tower and consider popular places for day trips like nearby Sintra.
- Porto. Different in looks and atmosphere from its large southern rival, Lisbon, Porto is just as fascinating. A metropolis of arts, architecture, and cuisine, it is the capital of Northern Portugal. Famous landmarks include the Porto Cathedral, Livraia Lello bookshop, the Museum of the Sacred Art and Archaeology, and even the Port Wine Institute.
- Algarve. Portugal’s southernmost region is famous for its beaches, as well as charming little towns like Albufeira, Lagos, and Sagres on the Atlantic Coast. In addition to natural beauty, the region has fascinating history exemplified by a millennia-old heritage of Moorish and Roman rule of the region. Meanwhile, exploring the roads less travelled will lead you to the mountainous inland parts of the Algarve and traditional spa towns like Monchique.
Most popular hire car
The most hired car in Portugal is the VW Polo, but travelers also tend to pick the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500 a lot.
Driving licence requirements
- Portugal recognizes valid foreign driving licences that are written in a Latin alphabet and if you’re visiting for a shorter period than six months.
- If you’re in Portugal for longer than six months or are living there permanently, the law requires you to obtain a Portuguese driver’s license
- If your driver’s license is printed in a non-Latin alphabet (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Similarly, if your driving licence doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP instead.
- Even if you have an IDP, you must also carry your original driving licence as you might be required to present both.
- You must carry your driving licence, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the rental conditions before booking.
Portugal has a land border with only one other country, Spain. Like Portugal, Spain is a member of the European Union (EU) and the Schengen Area, meaning that the entry requirements for Spain are the same as for Portugal.
Some car hire companies allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals on our Help Center.
Most popular types of hire car
The most popular hired car type in Portugal is an Economy, followed by Compact and Mini.
Top driving routes
- Aveiro. A city with a history dating back to pre-Roman times, Aveiro is known for its canals (which, like in Venice, can be explored by a gondola ride), art noveau architecture, and several stunning churches. Located just south of the point where the river of the same name meets the Atlantic Ocean, Aveiro is also a popular destination for water sports.
- Peneda-Gerês National Park. Located in the far north of the country, in the borderlands with the Spanish region of Galicia, Peneda-Gerês is one of the most beautiful areas in Iberia. Known for its magnificent valleys and pre-Roman dolmens, the region has a great variety of flora and fauna. The drive from Porto, the nearest big city, takes just over an hour.
- The Serra da Estrela. The highest point on mainland Portugal, ‘the mountain of the star’ is another popular nature destination. A great place for walking, it is also home to the only ski resort in the country. Although located in the relatively less explored inland part of Portugal, the Serra de Estrela is within a two-hour drive of other popular destinations such as the aforementioned Aveiro, as well as the scenic university city of Coimbra and the Christian pilgrimage site of Fatima.
Car Hire Prices
- Convertibles - starting at £ 3 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 3 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 3 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 2 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 11 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 20 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 1 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 2 per day
How can I save money on my hire car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car hire deal in Portugal:
- Compare rates of different car hire companies
- Book your vehicle well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the car hire prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Portugal is the cheapest in March when hiring a car is about 50% cheaper than the yearly average and a whopping 66% cheaper than hiring a car in November.
Top 13 Most Popular Cities in Portugal
Car Hire in Lisbon starting at £ 1.73 per day
Car Hire in Madeira starting at £ 5.79 per day
Car Hire in Porto starting at £ 1.47 per day
Car Hire in Faro starting at £ 2.25 per day
Car Hire in Funchal starting at £ 6.45 per day
Car Hire in Albufeira starting at £ 4.80 per day
Car Hire in Coimbra starting at £ 5.18 per day
Car Hire in Lagos starting at £ 7.96 per day
Car Hire in Vilamoura starting at £ 5.18 per day
Car Hire in Guimaraes starting at £ 5.18 per day
Car Hire in Quarteira starting at £ 7.68 per day
Car Hire in Alvor starting at £ 5.18 per day
Top 9 Most Popular Destinations in Portugal
Car Hire at Lisbon Airport starting at £ 1.73 per day
Car Hire at Madeira Airport (Funchal) starting at £ 5.79 per day
Car Hire at Faro Airport starting at £ 2.25 per day
Car Hire at Porto Airport starting at £ 1.47 per day
Car Hire in Porto (Downtown) starting at £ 4.21 per day
Car Hire at Lisbon Prior Velho starting at £ 1.94 per day
Car Hire in Porto Boavista starting at £ 1.48 per day
Map of Car Hire Destinations
In which month is car hire in Portugal the most affordable?
This information can help you determine the low season. But note that these prices are only averages. The cost of your hire is determined by the type of car you select, the length of time you hire it for and how much in advance you book. Simply type in your dates in the form at the top of the page in order to find out the exact prices.
How many days do people keep their hire cars, on average, in Portugal?
Which month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Portugal?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||160|
|Popular suppliers||Drive on Holidays, Goldcar, BeRent, Klass Wagen, Turisprime|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, SUVs, Medium cars, Station wagons|
|Lowest price||£ 1 per day|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Drive on Holidays||Volkswagen Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Turisprime||Volkswagen Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|Klass Wagen||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Rentx Car Rental||Opel Corsa Hatchback||5||2||Small cars|
|Drive on Holidays||Renault Captur||5||2||SUVs|
|Record-go||Seat Ibiza||5||2||Small cars|
|Turisprime||Volkswagen Up||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.