Car Hire at Lisbon Airport
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Airport Car Hire
Lisbon, the capital of Portugal, is a tourist mecca for people from all over the world, but particularly for Brits. With low-cost airlines ferrying tourists from many British cities, that is unsurprising. Many come for the architecture, culture, and nightlife of the city, but most come for the sunny weather and gorgeous beaches.
The best way to reach said beaches is by hiring a car. Most Brits visiting Portugal choose the hire a car for their holiday. Whether staying in a luxurious resort or hopping up the coast from beach to beach, having a car gives you the most freedom. And with such demand comes a major supply of hire cars — and incredibly low prices.
Tolls: Toll roads in Portugal can be confusing, for sure. You may be offered an electronic transponder by your hire company which will likely come with an extra daily fee. If traveling in the area around Lisbon, you may not need it as you can pay for most tolls with a credit card or in cash. If planning to travel to the Algarve region and using the A22, you will want to take it. Of course, you always have the choice of avoiding it and therefore not needing a transponder.
Driving to Spain: The Spanish border is roughly 200km from Lisbon Airport. You can take most hire cars from Lisbon Airport to Spain. However, note that there is an additional fee to cross the border which varies from company to company, and that you must inform the hire company ahead of time.
So don't wait! Plan your trip to Portugal, hire a car, and enjoy the culture and sunny beaches! Here are some destinations to put on your list:
- Sintra. A part of the so-called Portuguese Riviera, Sintra is one of the most popular day trips from the capital. Home to impressive palaces, castles, and ruins, the area is also notable for the surrounding hills, proximity to the Atlantic coastline, and Sintra-Cascais Nature Park. The drive from Lisbon takes only about 35 minutes.
- Museum of Art, Architecture, and Technology. There are many interesting museums in Lisbon, but the MAAT deserves a special mention. Home to interesting exhibitions on the three fields mentioned in its name, it is also known for being located in one of the most futuristic buildings in Iberia. In addition to the permanent collection, the museum also frequently hosts different cultural and entertainment events.
- Obidos. Known for its cute (if rather steep) cobblestone streets, quaint architecture, and the mighty walls that surround it all, Obidos is another fun day trip destination. The attractive medieval village is also characterized by the mighty Obidos Castle, the distinctly blue azulejo tiles, and one of the nicest bookshops in Portugal. The drive from Lisbon takes about an hour, and if you’re not short on time, you can continue towards Nazare, a coastal town known as the location of the highest wave ever surfed.
Top international routes
Other major flag carriers have flights to Lisbon Airport. These include Lufthansa, British Airways, Delta, and Turkish Airlines.
The airport is also served by low-cost airlines including Ryanair, easyJet, and Transavia. Ryanair and Easyjet fly to it from multiple cities in the UK.
Note: Terminal 2 is currently closed to the decrease in air traffic during the coronavirus pandemic.
Most popular types of hire car
- Convertibles - starting at £ 9 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 8 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 13 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 5 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 43 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 33 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 4 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 5 per day
Car hire desks
All other car hire companies serving Lisbon Airport offer either Meet & Great service or a shuttle bus. No matter which, a representative of the supplier will meet customers at the airport's designated Meeting Point (which is next to the Vodafone store).
If arriving at Terminal 2, you need to take the airport shuttle to Terminal 1 for all hire companies.
Services and facilities
Nearest petrol station
There is another BP station on Av. Severiano Falcão which is convenient if returning a car to one of the hire companies located in that area (e.g, Turisprime or Sadorent).
There are petrol stations located off the motorway when returning to the airport from whichever direction you are approaching. One of these may be preferred depending on the location of the hire company you use.
Popular one-way hires
- Porto (306 km/190 miles)
- Faro (275 km/170 miles)
- Madrid (622 km/386 miles)
- Malaga (670 km/416 miles)
- Paris (1,729 km/1074 miles)
- Seville (445 km/276 miles)
Lisbon Airport (LIS)
- IATA: LIS
- ICAO: LPPT
- Name: Lisbon Airport (LIS)
- Distance from the city centre: 4.3 miles / 7 km
Top 7 Destinations around Lisbon Airport
Car Hire at Lisbon Prior Velho starting at £ 4.51 per day1.6 km / 1.0 miles away
5.7 km / 3.5 miles away
Car Hire at Faro Airport starting at £ 9.90 per day219.8 km / 136.6 miles away
267.8 km / 166.4 miles away
Car Hire in Porto (Downtown) starting at £ 7.29 per day269.0 km / 167.1 miles away
Car Hire at Porto Airport starting at £ 3.98 per day278.1 km / 172.8 miles away
Car Hire at Madeira Airport (Funchal) starting at £ 19.50 per day964.8 km / 599.5 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
In which month is car hire at Lisbon Airport the most affordable?
This information can help you determine the low season. But note that these prices are only averages. The cost of your hire is determined by the type of car you select, the length of time you hire it for and how much in advance you book. Simply type in your dates in the form at the top of the page in order to find out the exact prices.
What’s the usual hire length for renters at Lisbon Airport?
Which time of year sees the highest demand for car hire at Lisbon Airport?
Car Hire Information
|Popular suppliers||BeRent, Drive on Holidays, Klass Wagen, Turisprime, Cheap rent|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, SUVs, Medium cars, Station wagons|
|Lowest price||£ 4 per day|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|BeRent||Volkswagen Polo||5||2||Small cars|
|Turisprime||Volkswagen Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|Drive on Holidays||Volkswagen Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Klass Wagen||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|BeRent||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Cheap rent||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Cheap rent||Fiat Panda||5||3||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|CRC Car Rental Company||Peugeot 208||5||2||Small cars|
|Drive on Holidays||Renault Captur||5||2||SUVs|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.