Car Rental in Katowice
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Katowice?
Katowice is a great place to explore by car. Although historically a mining and industrial hub, the city has been rapidly developing over the last couple of decades and has become a cultural, art, and technological center. It’s convenient location in South Central Poland means it can also serve as a good base for exploring cities like Wroclaw and Krakow, natural landscapes like the Tatra mountains, and even neighboring countries like Germany, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia.
One-Way Car Rentals in Katowice
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Katowice and drop off in another city include:
- From Katowice to Krakow - 275 offers from 13.71 USD per day
- From Katowice to Warsaw - 444 offers from 13.71 USD per day
- From Katowice to Gdansk - 351 offers from 13.71 USD per day
- From Katowice to Rzeszow - 136 offers from 13.71 USD per day
- From Katowice to Poznan - 203 offers from 13.71 USD per day
Top ways to enter Katowice
- Katowice Airport: The fourth-busiest in Poland, Katowice Airport is also among the fastest growing in Europe. It served nearly 5 million travelers in 2018, a 24% increase over the year before. Located about 30km (19 miles) north of the city center, Katowice Airport can be reached in about 30 minutes by car.
- Krakow Airport: Serving Poland’s second city, Krakow John Paul II Airport handles more than 6 million travelers every year. Served by around 20 different airlines, the airport is a big hub for Ryanair and Wizz Air, two low-cost carriers. Krakow Airport is just 67km (45 miles) southeast of Katowice and can be reached in about 45 minutes.
- Lodz Airport: Serving the city of the same name in Central Poland, Lodz Airport has flights by only four airlines but offers connections to Germany, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Greece, and Bulgaria. Located about 200km (124 miles) north of Katowice, the airport can be reached in about two hours.
- Warsaw Chopin Airport: By far the largest airport in the country, Warsaw-Chopin is served by around 40 airlines and offers flights to and from many destinations in Europe as well as North Africa, the Middle East, the Far East, and North America. Located about 285km (177 miles) northeast of Katowice, the airport can be reached in about three and a half hours.
- Vienna Airport: It might feel far away from Poland, but the distance between Vienna Airport and Katowice is just 440km (273 miles) and can be done in about four hours by car. Considering that Vienna Airport is one of the largest in Europe and offers countless connections to destinations all around the world, flying to Austria and then getting a rental car can be a good idea. Just make sure that your rental car provider permits crossing international borders and picking up the car in Vienna and dropping it off in Poland.
- By rail: If you arrive in Katowice by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Katowice Railway Station.
Useful city facts
- Like the rest of Southern Poland, Katowice has a humid continental climate with warm, wet summers and cool winters. The average temperature is 18°C (64°F) in July, the warmest month, and -1.5°C (29°F) in January. Katowice is known in Poland as one of the least windy cities in the country.
- Katowice is one of the largest cities in Silesia, a historic and cultural region located in Southern Poland and neighboring Czech Republic and Germany. The Silesian Museum as well as many Silesian ethnographic and cultural centers are located in Katowice, and many city inhabitants proudly claim to be not just Poles, but also (and often primarily) Silesians. Spoken throughout the city, the Silesian language is very similar to Polish, but the two languages are not fully mutually intelligible.
Top destinations and activities
- Church of St. Michael the Archangel. A church made of wood, this ancient building is one of the oldest in Katowice and the surrounding regions. Built in 1510 in a nearby village, it was moved to the city in the 20th century and is now located in beautiful Kościuszko Park.
- Silesian Theater. The largest in the region of Silesia, the theater has been an important cultural center for decades and is also one of the most famous buildings in Katowice. As impressive from the inside as it is from the outside, the theater is located on the old market square, which itself is an interesting part of the city. Originally built as the German theater, the building is now more than 100 years old.
- Museum of the History of Katowice. Introducing different chapters of the city’s past, this museum showcases Katowice’s industrial rise and the living conditions of the early miners of the region. It also touches the turbulent 20th century in Poland and shows the works of artists from Katowice.
Traffic and parking tips
- Poland drives on the right hand side of the road.
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits in Poland 140 km/h (87 mph) on motorways, 120 km/h (75 mph) on expressways with a dual carriageway, 100 km/h (62.2 mph) on expressways with a single carriageway, 90 km/h (56 mph) on all other urban roads, 60 km/h (37.2 mph) in urban and built-up areas at night, 50 km/h (31 mph) in urban and built-up areas during the day, and 20 km/h (12.4 mph) in residential areas.
- It is illegal to use the mobile phone while driving.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.02% for both experienced and novice drivers. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines and a licence ban. Exceeding the limit of 0.05% is a criminal offence and can lead to up to 2 years imprisonment.
- While the general quality of roads in Poland has improved immensely during the last 2 decades, some rural roads, especially in the northernmost, southernmost, and easternmost parts of the country can still be in a rather bad shape. It is a good idea to set out your route in advance and look up the roads you’ll be driving.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When you are driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The emergency number in Poland, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are a number of toll roads in Poland. The nearest one to Katowice is the toll road that connects Katowice to Wroclaw.
Some roads use an open toll system while others use a closed toll system. In an open toll system, the payment is made upon entering the toll road. In closed toll system, the driver will be given a printed ticket that will state the time and point of entry of the toll road; the toll fee will be calculated and paid when exiting the road.
Payment can be made either in cash or by credit card. If you choose to pay in cash, you can pay in three currencies, Euros, Polish zloty (PLN), or United States dollars (USD), but keep in mind that even if you pay in one of the two foreign currencies, you might be given the change in zloty. As of July 2019, 1 EUR = 4.25 PLN.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Krakow. One of the most famous cities in Poland and Europe, Krakow attracts visitors with its wealth of stunning religious buildings like the Wawel Cathedral, the Famous Royal Way, and the Vistula River promenade. Coming from Katowice, the city can also serve as a gateway to the nearby Tatra Mountains. Located 80km (50 miles) southeast of Katowice, Krakow can be reached by car in just one hour.
- Wieliczka. The small town of Wieliczka is famous for its salt mine that was one of the 12 original UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Visitors who descend into the mine can see some of the old machinery and marvel at the sculptures of St. Kinga and The Last Supper carved in rock salt. Located just 17km (11 miles) from Krakow, Wieliczka is 93km (58 miles) southeast of Katowice and can be reached in about one hour.
- Wroclaw. The old capital of Silesia historically known as Breslau, Wroclaw is a lively university city. Just like elsewhere in Poland, you’ll find many beautiful cathedrals, but the city is also famous for its many gardens, parks, and high-quality museums. Upbeat, sophisticated, and affordable, it might be the next big city break destination of Europe. About 190km (118 miles) northwest of Katowice, Wroclaw can be reached in less than two hours.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Katowice is the Toyota Aygo, followed by the Toyota Yaris and the Opel Astra. The most popular rental car types are economy, standard, and compact.
- Warsaw. Although not as historic as other Polish cities such as Krakow (it was nearly destroyed during World War II), Warsaw is a fascinating place to visit. Thanks to the enormous efforts of the city’s inhabitants, many of its famous buildings and landmarks have been restored and the Śródmieście neighborhood is one of the most hip and interesting city centers in Europe. Located 290km (180 miles) northeast of Katowice, the capital city can be reached in only three hours.
- Prague. Equal parts historic and fun, Prague is one of the most-visited (and the most-photographed) cities of Europe for a reason. Marvel at the spires of its Gothic and Baroque churches, take a walk along the beautiful Vltava River , learn about the city’s history in Josefov, its old Jewish quarter, or dive into Prague’s famous nightlife - this city truly has something for every traveler. Located 460km (285 miles) west of Katowice, Prague can be reached in a little more than 4 hours. Since you’ll have to cross an international border between Poland and Czech Republic, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
- Tatra National Park. So much more than just a natural border between Poland and Slovakia, the Tatras are the most impressive natural sites in Central Europe. Made up of stunning summits, long hiking paths, and hilltop villages, and home to wildlife like the Tatra chamois, Eurasian lynx, and marmot, these mountains are a place where you’ll want to return again and again. Zakopane, a gateway to the Tatras and a famous winter resort, is 178km (110 miles) southeast of Katowice and can be reached in just over 2 hours.
Car Rental Prices in Katowice
- Station wagons - from $47 per day
- Large cars - from $66 per day
- Medium cars - from $51 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $86 per day
- Premium cars - from $140 per day
- Small cars - from $37 per day
- SUVs - from $74 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Try these tips to get a great rental car in Katowice:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Katowice is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 47% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 68% cheaper than renting a car in November.
Top 18 Cities near Katowice
Warsaw Car Rentals from $19.04 per day255.8 km / 158.9 miles away
Krakow Car Rentals from $18.96 per day58.6 km / 36.4 miles away
Gdansk Car Rentals from $22.76 per day455.6 km / 283.1 miles away
Poznan Car Rentals from $22.52 per day283.7 km / 176.3 miles away
Wroclaw Car Rentals from $23.63 per day176.6 km / 109.8 miles away
Rzeszow Car Rentals from $24.01 per day214.5 km / 133.3 miles away
Lodz Car Rentals from $24.03 per day164.3 km / 102.1 miles away
Lublin Car Rentals from $30.60 per day281.8 km / 175.1 miles away
Bydgoszcz Car Rentals from $22.52 per day323.0 km / 200.7 miles away
Szczecin Car Rentals from $24.03 per day464.5 km / 288.6 miles away
Olsztyn Car Rentals from $24.53 per day382.1 km / 237.4 miles away
Bielsko-Biala Car Rentals from $12.18 per day49.1 km / 30.5 miles away
Czestochowa Car Rentals from $26.80 per day61.3 km / 38.1 miles away
Elblag Car Rentals from $22.76 per day433.7 km / 269.5 miles away
Opole Car Rentals from $23.63 per day89.3 km / 55.5 miles away
Kielce Car Rentals from $26.80 per day132.4 km / 82.3 miles away
Stalowa Wola Car Rentals from $68.27 per day218.0 km / 135.5 miles away
Walbrzych Car Rentals from $24.53 per day201.5 km / 125.2 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Katowice
Downtown Car Rentals from $32.74 per day
Katowice Airport Car Rentals from $14.39 per day23.8 km / 14.8 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $12.18 per day49.1 km / 30.5 miles away
Krakow Airport Car Rentals from $18.96 per day58.6 km / 36.4 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $26.80 per day61.3 km / 38.1 miles away
Kraków Train Station Car Rentals from $18.96 per day69.9 km / 43.4 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $24.03 per day70.7 km / 43.9 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $23.63 per day89.3 km / 55.5 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $26.80 per day132.4 km / 82.3 miles away
Lodz Lublinek Airport Car Rentals from $24.03 per day164.3 km / 102.1 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $24.39 per day169.4 km / 105.2 miles away
Wroclaw Airport Car Rentals from $23.63 per day176.6 km / 109.8 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $24.53 per day201.5 km / 125.2 miles away
Rzeszów Airport Car Rentals from $24.01 per day214.5 km / 133.3 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $68.27 per day218.0 km / 135.5 miles away
Piaseczno Train Station Car Rentals from $108.85 per day244.1 km / 151.7 miles away
Warsaw Airport Car Rentals from $19.24 per day251.3 km / 156.2 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $19.04 per day255.8 km / 158.9 miles away
Warsaw Modlin Airport Car Rentals from $18.96 per day268.2 km / 166.6 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $32.86 per day272.5 km / 169.4 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Katowice?
What’s the usual rental length in Katowice?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Katowice?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Global Rent a Car||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Surprice||Opel Corsa||4||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||Skoda Fabia||5||2||Small cars|
|Surprice||Opel Astra||5||2||Medium cars|
|GreenMotion||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Smart For Four||5||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||VW Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|Ace Rent a car||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||VW Golf STW||5||2||Station wagons|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 15 Suppliers in Katowice in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.5 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email