Car Rental in Rockhampton
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Rockhampton?
Located in the central part of Queensland, Rockhampton doesn’t get as many visitors as Brisbane or Cairns but is, nonetheless, a lovely place to visit. Settled by Europeans in the 1850s and inhabited by the Indigenous people for millennia before that, the city is home to heritage-listed buildings, museums, and cultural spaces. With a rental car, you can also easily reach the multitude of beaches and nature areas that surround Rockhampton.
Top ways to enter Rockhampton
Rockhampton Airport: With more than 500,000 travelers served every year, Rockhampton Airport offers flights to and from other Queensland cities like Brisbane, Cairns, Mackay, and Townsville. Many visitors from the rest of Australia and abroad change flights in Brisbane to get to Rockhampton. The airport is located just some 4 km (2.5 miles) from the city center and takes less than ten minutes to reach. The drive from the nearest international airport, in the Sunshine Coast, takes about six hours while Brisbane can be reached in about seven.
Top destinations and activities
- Dreamtime Cultural Centre. Rockhampton is the ancestral home of the Darumbal people some of whose descendants still live in the city today. Named after the Indigenous Australian concept of the mythical prehistory, the Dreamtime Centre is a place where visitors can learn about Darumbal culture and traditions, hear a didgeridoo being played, or even throw a traditional boomerang.
- Rockhampton Heritage Village. Dedicated to the early British and other European settlers who arrived in the area in the 19th and 20th centuries, the heritage village offers a glimpse of the beginnings of Rockhampton as a city. The village is made up of about 20 buildings that include model recreations of Rockhampton’s first churches, hospitals, and other places important to the local community.
- Mount Archer National Park. Located just east of Rockhampton, Mount Archer National Park is named after its main peak which offers amazing views of the city below. The area is home to long bush and forest trails, as well as local fauna like the glossy black cockatoo and the amazingly (and aptly) named powerful owl. Other nature areas near Rockhampton include the Gelobera State Forest, Koorana Crocodile Farm, and Mount Etna Caves National Park.
Traffic and parking
- One of the largest road hazards in Australia is the wildlife, especially outside urban areas. Take extra caution when driving in bad weather or after dark as this is when most of the collisions with wildlife take place.
- Mobile coverage is very rarely available outside of major highways and population centers, so take extra caution when traveling in rural areas.
- Another great risk when traveling outside of main highways is the heat. The temperatures can reach extremes very easily, especially during the summer months and in inland areas. Always stay properly hydrated and plan your route in advance to be able to supplement your water supplies.
- Laws concerning driving under the influence differ from territory to territory in Australia. In Queensland, the legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers and drivers with provisional licenses. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines and a driver license ban.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The primary, nationwide emergency number in Australia is 000.
There are a number of toll roads in Australia, mainly in the states of New South Wales, Victoria, and Queensland. In New South Wales, there are nine currently active toll roads, which is more than in the rest of the country combined.
Most toll roads in Australia use an open toll system with mainline barrier toll points. All toll roads in Australia use a cashless payment system. You can purchase a prepaid pass for most toll roads. Some rental cars in Australia are equipped with electronic transponders, the price of which may or may not be included in the rental price. Ask your car rental provider about it in advance.
Different toll roads are operated by different companies, so there is no nation-wide fee system in place.
For more information about the toll roads in the state of Queensland, visit the state’s toll road website.
Car Rental Prices in Rockhampton
- Large cars - from $38 per day
- Medium cars - from $35 per day
- Vans - from $94 per day
- Premium cars - from $156 per day
- Small cars - from $33 per day
- SUVs - from $26 per day
Top 20 Cities near Rockhampton
Gladstone Car Rentals from $86.93 per day93.6 km / 58.2 miles away
Emerald Car Rentals from $53.28 per day235.2 km / 146.1 miles away
Bundaberg Car Rentals from $45.06 per day252.3 km / 156.8 miles away
Mackay Car Rentals from $77.31 per day279.4 km / 173.6 miles away
Hervey Bay Car Rentals from $38.65 per day325.3 km / 202.1 miles away
Proserpine Car Rentals from $64.21 per day377.8 km / 234.8 miles away
Noosa Heads Car Rentals from $49.01 per day426.9 km / 265.3 miles away
Marcoola Car Rentals from $43.42 per day444.9 km / 276.4 miles away
Toowoomba Car Rentals from $35.14 per day487.1 km / 302.7 miles away
North Lakes Car Rentals from $56.70 per day498.9 km / 310.0 miles away
Brisbane Car Rentals from $35.99 per day518.3 km / 322.1 miles away
Ipswich Car Rentals from $73.08 per day525.0 km / 326.2 miles away
Surfers Paradise Car Rentals from $32.95 per day593.2 km / 368.6 miles away
Townsville Car Rentals from $32.80 per day598.3 km / 371.8 miles away
Gold Coast Car Rentals from $28.39 per day612.3 km / 380.5 miles away
Ballina Car Rentals from $57.66 per day680.2 km / 422.7 miles away
Moree Car Rentals from $35.14 per day682.8 km / 424.3 miles away
Armidale Car Rentals from $32.80 per day802.8 km / 498.8 miles away
Coffs Harbour Car Rentals from $36.53 per day814.9 km / 506.4 miles away
Tamworth Car Rentals from $34.62 per day857.5 km / 532.8 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Rockhampton
Rockhampton Airport Car Rentals from $40.62 per day
Gladstone Airport Car Rentals from $72.22 per day93.6 km / 58.2 miles away
Emerald Airport Car Rentals from $58.03 per day235.2 km / 146.1 miles away
Bundaberg Downtown Car Rentals from $44.90 per day251.9 km / 156.5 miles away
Bundaberg Airport Car Rentals from $44.25 per day252.3 km / 156.8 miles away
Mackay Airport Car Rentals from $77.03 per day279.4 km / 173.6 miles away
Hervey Bay Downtown Car Rentals from $45.35 per day314.3 km / 195.3 miles away
Hervey Bay Airport Car Rentals from $38.51 per day325.3 km / 202.1 miles away
Whitsunday Coast Airport Car Rentals from $65.84 per day377.8 km / 234.8 miles away
Sunshine Coast Airport Car Rentals from $43.73 per day444.9 km / 276.4 miles away
Toowoomba Wellcamp Airport Car Rentals from $70.20 per day485.0 km / 301.4 miles away
Brisbane Brendale Car Rentals from $73.02 per day505.0 km / 313.8 miles away
Brisbane Airport Car Rentals from $22.71 per day518.3 km / 322.1 miles away
Brisbane Ascot Car Rentals from $48.15 per day520.3 km / 323.3 miles away
Brisbane Fortitude Valley Car Rentals from $111.08 per day521.3 km / 323.9 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $37.49 per day521.4 km / 324.0 miles away
Brisbane Tingalpa Car Rentals from $55.24 per day525.9 km / 326.8 miles away
Brisbane Rocklea Car Rentals from $55.24 per day529.2 km / 328.8 miles away
Brisbane Archerfield Car Rentals from $73.02 per day531.0 km / 329.9 miles away
Townsville Airport Car Rentals from $38.07 per day598.3 km / 371.8 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Rockhampton?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Rockhampton?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Rockhampton?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||1|
|Popular suppliers||SIXT, Alamo, Avis, Europcar, Thrifty|
|Popular car categories||SUVs, Medium cars, Large cars, Small cars|
|Lowest price||$26 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|SIXT||Hyundai Kona||5||2||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Toyota CH-R Hybrid||5||1||SUVs|
|Europcar||Ford Puma||5||2||Large cars|
|SIXT||Mitsubishi Outlander Aut.||5||3||SUVs|
|Alamo||Toyota Yaris||4||2||Medium cars|
|Alamo||MG 3||4||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Toyota Corolla||4||2||Large cars|
|SIXT||Toyota Yaris||5||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.