Car Rental in Trabzon
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Trabzon?
Trabzon is a great place to explore. Boasting ancient architecture, historic landmarks, Black Sea shoreline, and impressive nearby mountains, it has something for every traveler. Its villages, forests, and secluded beaches, all easily reached with a rental car, are just as fascinating as the city itself. Popular with tourists, yet much less crowded than the beaches of the Turkish Mediterranean, like Antalya in the south of the country, Trabzon is a place for real adventures.
One-Way Car Rentals in Trabzon
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Trabzon and drop off in another city include:
- From Trabzon to Samsun - 92 offers from US$ 43.10 per day
- From Trabzon to Erzurum - 25 offers from US$ 43.43 per day
Top ways to enter Trabzon
- Trabzon Airport: The primary airport of the Eastern Black Sea Region in Turkey, Trabzon Airport is served by 9 different airlines and offers flights to and from destinations in Europe and the Middle East. Conveniently, the airport is located just 8km (5 miles) east of the city center and can be reached in about 10 minutes by car.
- Erzincan Airport: A small airport serving the city of the same name, Erzincan Airport only hosts domestic flights (as of 2019). Nevertheless, flying here can be a good option to reach Northeast Turkey from Istanbul or Izmir. The airport is located 250km (155 miles) south of Trabzon and can be reached in about 3 hours and 30 minutes.
- Samsun Airport: Serving the largest Turkish city on the Black Sea coast, Samsun-Çarşamba Airport hosts a large number of domestic flights as well as flights to and from Germany, Russia, and Austria. Located 307km (190 miles) west of Trabzon, the airport can be reached in about four hours.
- Batumi Airport: Located in neighboring Georgia near the border with Turkey, Batumi Airport is served by around 15 different airlines and has flights to a number of destinations in Europe, the Middle East, and Central Asia. Batumi is located just 206km (128 miles) northeast of Trabzon and the distance between the two cities can be covered in under three hours. To travel from Batumi to Trabzon, you’d have to cross an international border, so first ask your rental car provider if they permit it. As many don’t, a good alternative can be to go by public transportation and then pick up a rental car upon arriving in Trabzon.
Useful city facts
Trabzon has a humid subtropical climate with warm, dry summers and mild, humid winters. The average temperature is 23°C (74°F) in August, the warmest month, and 7°C (45°F) in February, the coldest month. Trabzon is located right on the coast, but many of the villages and towns that surround it are at a much higher elevation in the nearby mountains where temperatures can be significantly lower.
Populated since the Iron Age, Trabzon area was first inhabited by Caucasian and Anatolian tribes. In 756 B.C.E., it became an Ancient Greek colony by the name of Trapezous. Later, the city was invaded by the Achaemenid Empire, Alexander the Great, the Romans, Persians, Goths, Byzantines, and Ottomans. Many of these varied historic influences can still be observed in the city’s traditions, legends, buildings and ruins, such as the Eugenius Aqueduct and St. Anne Church, and cuisine.
Top destinations and activities
- Hagia Sophia. A Greek Orthodox church which was first converted into a mosque and then into a museum, Trabzon’s Hagia Sophia, much like it’s more famous counterpart in Istanbul, is the most impressive building in the city. Made up of Corinthian columns, ceiling frescoes, a large bell tower, and a beautiful garden, it is a must-visit place when in Trabzon.
- Bazaar Mosque. Known as Çarşı Cami Sokak in Turkish, it is the most impressive mosque in Trabzon. Influenced by the European architecture of the time, it was built in a gothic style. The mosque is located in the old Market District of Trabzon, an interesting relic of time that has seen a lot of renovation in the recent decades but still retains some of its old character.
- Trabzon Museum. Located in the former mansion of a wealthy 19-th century banker, the city museum allows visitors to take a look at Trabzon’s long and fascinating history. There are plenty of objects from the Ottoman Empire as well as more ancient artefacts, like the bronze statue of Hermes, a Greek god of trade and merchants who was once worshipped in the city.
Traffic and parking tips
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 120km/h (75 mph) on highways, 90km/h (556 mph) on two-lane roads, and 50km/h (31 mph) in populated and built-up areas.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving.
- On regional roads there might be fewer gas stations than on the national highways. Never stay too low on gas and always plan your route in advance to know the location of the next gas station.
- Due to high taxes, Turkey has very expensive petrol, with prices higher than even in most EU countries. Keep that in mind when planning route ahead!
- Turkey is overall a warm country, but during the winter the roads can be covered with ice, especially in the country’s mountainous regions. Do ask your car rental provider in advance if your vehicle’s tires will be equipped for the season.
- Occasionally you might encounter police roadblocks and even military checkpoints, especially in Southeastern Turkey. They are there for your own safety, and in most cases they will only check your license and warn you about any potential danger that might lie ahead.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% if you’re driving alone and 0.00%. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines and a licence ban.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number is 112. The police number is 155, the fire brigade number is 110, and the forest fire number is 177.
- Driving on most national motorways, as well as some bridges and tunnels in Turkey requires a toll payment, including some motorways in the Trabzon area and in the wider Turkish Black Sea region.
- Most Turkish toll roads only permit an electronic, contactless payment from an electronic toll-payment transponder that’s in the car or by an electronic chip-sticker that’s on the car. This means that you cannot pay either with cash or by credit card for most toll roads (only a handful of newer ones permit that).
- All rental cars have to be equipped either with a toll-payment transponder or with a toll-payment sticker. Some rental car providers might charge an extra fee for this service. Contact your rental car provider in advance to find out more.
- The toll roads in Turkey are divided into HGS, the High-Speed Passage System (Hızlı Geçiş Sistemi in Turkish) and OGS (Otomatik Geçiş Sistemi in Turkish). On HGS roads, you can pass through the toll area at a higher speed. On OGS roads, you need to slow down as you go through a toll gate and the toll payment is registered through the electronic transponder that’s in the car. The exact amount you’ll have to pay will depend on the specific road you drive on and on the distance your travel.
- Find out more about toll roads in Turkey on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Sumela Monastery. Also known as Black Mountain Monastery or the Monastery of the Virgin Mary, Sumela is one of the most interesting places to visit in the Trabzon area. Dangerously hanging on a steep rock for more than 1,700 years, it is a sight to observe from outside, but the inside of the monastery with yards in the shadow of a cliff, churches carved in stone, and ancient frescoes, is just as impressive. A place with a truly timeless feeling, Sumela is just 48km (30 miles) south of Trabzon and can be reached in about one hour.
- Ordu. A well-known resort town (or rather, a village) on the Black Sea coast, Ordu is a beach lover’s paradise. One of the most relaxed places in Turkey, it offers long, beautiful beaches, impressive coves and cliffs, and great nightlife. The city’s old Greek district, made up of cute wood-framed houses, is also worth having a look. Located about 175km (108 miles) west of Trabzon, Ordu can be reached in just over two hours with most of the road taking you right along the Black Sea.
- Munzur Valley National Park. Located in the Eastern Anatolian Mountains, Munzur is not only the largest national park in Turkey, it is also the one with the most biodiversity. Different types of plants, mammals, birds, and fish can be found here including bezoar ibex, brown bears, Caspian snowcocks, and Eastern imperial eagles. The park offers plenty of opportunities for hiking, rafting, and camping. Located about 380km (236 miles) from Trabzon, it takes about six hours to reach the park, so this one is more of a trip for at least a couple of days, but the long drive is definitely worth it.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Trabzon is the Renault Clio, closely followed by the Fiat Albea and the Citroen C Elysee. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and intermediate.
- Sinop. A cozy Black Sea town that has preserved much of its ancient heritage, Sinop is a great place to visit. The city’s main attractions are its scenic beauty, its relaxed atmosphere, and its great restaurants, but there are also landmarks such as the Statue of Diogenes that shows the famous Greek philosopher holding a lamp, supposedly looking for an honest man. Located 480km (298 miles) west of Trabzon, Sinop can be reached in about six hours.
- Georgia. Still something of a mystery to some western travelers and a favorite vacation spot for many others, the mountainous Caucasian country is a truly stunning place to visit. From breathtaking mountains and ancient monasteries to valleys of vineyards and proud, yet impossibly hospitable locals (who cook impossibly delicious national foods), it remains a special place to visit. Batumi, Georgia’s largest coastal city, is located just 206km (128 miles) northeast of Trabzon and can be reached in about three hours. You’d have to cross the international border between Turkey and Georgia, though, so first make sure your car rental provider permits it. Many won’t, so another option is to go by public transportation and pick up a rental car after arriving in Batumi. Also, check to see if you need a visa, as the entrance requirements can be quite different from those for Turkey depending on your citizenship.
- Van. Inhabited since prehistoric times and as important to the Turks as it is to the Kurds and Armenians, the city of Van on the shore of a salt lake of the same name is one of the most important attractions in Eastern Turkey. More than 1,600m (5,250ft) above sea level and surrounded by stunning mountains, it has a hilltop fortress and the ancient Varagavank Monastery. About 640km (397 miles) southeast of Trabzon, the lake can be reached in nine hours.
Car Rental Prices in Trabzon
- Station wagons - from $32 per day
- Large cars - from $30 per day
- Medium cars - from $26 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $65 per day
- Small cars - from $23 per day
- SUVs - from $47 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Try these tips to get a great rental car in Trabzon:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Trabzon is the cheapest in January when renting a car is about 46% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 70% cheaper than renting a car in October.
Top 20 Cities near Trabzon
Istanbul Car Rentals from $22.55 per day898.2 km / 558.1 miles away
Antalya Car Rentals from $10.00 per day908.4 km / 564.4 miles away
602.7 km / 374.5 miles away
Kayseri Car Rentals from $7.60 per day442.0 km / 274.7 miles away
Adana Car Rentals from $13.66 per day592.3 km / 368.0 miles away
Konya Car Rentals from $18.07 per day704.8 km / 437.9 miles away
Gaziantep Car Rentals from $13.66 per day492.4 km / 306.0 miles away
Gazipasa Car Rentals from $24.10 per day833.4 km / 517.9 miles away
Samsun Car Rentals from $12.91 per day271.4 km / 168.7 miles away
Nevsehir Car Rentals from $15.49 per day507.0 km / 315.0 miles away
Diyarbakir Car Rentals from $21.97 per day346.6 km / 215.4 miles away
Sivas Car Rentals from $15.49 per day277.4 km / 172.4 miles away
Hatay Car Rentals from $17.07 per day598.1 km / 371.7 miles away
Erzurum Car Rentals from $15.56 per day164.2 km / 102.0 miles away
Elazig Car Rentals from $19.60 per day268.9 km / 167.1 miles away
Mardin Car Rentals from $18.07 per day425.6 km / 264.5 miles away
Batman Car Rentals from $18.07 per day359.5 km / 223.4 miles away
Denizli Car Rentals from $18.47 per day985.7 km / 612.5 miles away
Kemer Car Rentals from $22.87 per day936.1 km / 581.6 miles away
Sanliurfa Car Rentals from $19.67 per day441.3 km / 274.2 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Trabzon
Istanbul Airport Sabiha Gokcen Car Rentals from $10.84 per day1.0 km / 0.6 miles away
Istanbul Pendik Car Rentals from $15.08 per day2.6 km / 1.6 miles away
Istanbul Kadikoy Car Rentals from $22.55 per day21.0 km / 13.0 miles away
Istanbul Taksim Car Rentals from $12.78 per day31.1 km / 19.3 miles away
Istanbul Kanyon Shopping mall Car Rentals from $15.69 per day31.7 km / 19.7 miles away
Istanbul Yenibosna Car Rentals from $13.35 per day41.6 km / 25.9 miles away
Istanbul Bagcılar Car Rentals from $13.35 per day43.3 km / 26.9 miles away
Kocaeli Cengiz Topel Airport Car Rentals from $48.92 per day50.8 km / 31.6 miles away
Istanbul Airport Car Rentals from $10.84 per day62.3 km / 38.7 miles away
Ankara Airport Car Rentals from $11.62 per day323.1 km / 200.8 miles away
Izmir Airport Car Rentals from $10.00 per day344.4 km / 214.0 miles away
Denizli Airport Car Rentals from $18.47 per day348.7 km / 216.7 miles away
Konya Airport Car Rentals from $18.07 per day428.7 km / 266.4 miles away
Bodrum Airport Car Rentals from $11.96 per day430.7 km / 267.6 miles away
Antalya Başaran Hotel Car Rentals from $36.65 per day463.2 km / 287.8 miles away
Antalya Airport Car Rentals from $8.91 per day463.9 km / 288.3 miles away
Antalya Akra Barut Hotel Car Rentals from $36.65 per day465.9 km / 289.5 miles away
Dalaman Airport Car Rentals from $10.84 per day468.5 km / 291.1 miles away
Nevsehir Airport Car Rentals from $15.49 per day526.9 km / 327.4 miles away
Gazipasa Airport Car Rentals from $24.10 per day574.4 km / 356.9 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Trabzon?
What’s the usual rental length in Trabzon?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Trabzon?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Europcar||Fiat Egea||5||2||Large cars|
|Keddy||Fiat Egea||4||2||Medium cars|
|Pandora||Renault Clio||4||2||Small cars|
|Pandora||Renault Clio||4||2||Small cars|
|Pandora||Peugeot 301||5||1||Large cars|
|Europcar||Fiat Egea||4||2||Medium cars|
|Pandora||Hyundai i10||3||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|Carfleet||Fiat Egea||5||3||Medium cars|
|Europcar||Ford Tourneo||5||2||People Carriers/Vans|