Car Rental in Izmir
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Izmir?
Izmir is the right place to explore by a rental car. Having a vehicle here will let you to experience this huge, historic city in its fullness, and then continue your travels along the wider Izmir Province and the Turkish Mediterranean Coast.
One-Way Car Rentals in Izmir
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Izmir and drop off in another city include:
- From Izmir to Istanbul - 396 offers from 29.54 USD per day
- From Izmir to Kusadasi - 26 offers from 23.74 USD per day
- From Izmir to Bodrum - 149 offers from 26.65 USD per day
- From Izmir to Ankara - 148 offers from 31.97 USD per day
- From Izmir to Antalya - 159 offers from 30.03 USD per day
Top ways to enter Izmir
- Izmir Airport: Also known as Adnan Menderes Airport after a Turkish statesman, it serves about 13 million travelers every year. The airport is a large hub for the Turkish airline SunExpress and also has flights by around 20 other airlines (although some are only active seasonally). Izmir Airport is located 17 km (10.5 mi) south of Izmir city center and takes about 25 minutes to reach.
- Bodrum Airport: Also known as Milas-Bodrum, the airport serving the famous beach tourism hub handles nearly three million travelers every year. There are flights by around 40 airlines, connecting Bodrum to destinations in both Western and Eastern Europe, as well as in the Middle East. Situated about 200 km (125 mi) south of Izmir, Bodrum Airport takes 2 hours and 30 minutes to reach.
- Dalaman Airport: Serving another famous Turkish beach resort, Dalaman Airport handles about 4.7 million travelers every year. The airport has flights by around 30 different airlines, including low-cost carriers like Transavia, Lauda, and easyJet. Similarly to Izmir and Bodrum airports, Dalaman Airport is much more active during the warm months of the year. Located about 305 km (189 mi) southeast of Izmir, Dalaman Airport can be reached in 3 hours and 50 minutes.
- By sea: Although there is a ferry service between Çeşme near Izmir and Athens in Greece, most rental car providers do not permit bringing a rental car on deck! If you’re taking a ferry from Greece to Izmir, a better idea is to travel without a rental car and to pick up one after arriving in Izmir. Unlike Greece, Turkey is no a member of the EU and the Schengen Area, so it’s also important to check in advance whether you need a visa to enter the country.
Useful city facts
- Izmir enjoys a typically hot Mediterranean climate. During summers, it is very common for temperatures to exceed 30 °C (86 °F). The precipitation is close to non-existent in July and August. Winters are mild, but much more humid, with December and January seeing as many as 12 rainy days every year.
- The history of human settlement in Izmir dates back to at least 6500 B.C. when Yeşilova Mound, an ancient human settlement, was established here during the late Stone Age. Later, the city was inhabited by ancient civilizations like Lydians, Persians, Macedonians, and Romans. Many fascinating historic sites that remain in and around Izmir and can be visited by travelers tell the story of the city’s history.
- With a population of 2.97 million people, Izmir is the third-largest city in Turkey, behind only Istanbul and Ankara; another 1.4 million live in Izmir’s larger metropolitan area. The city is made up of eleven districts, some of which are culturally and historically distinct and fascinating to explore.
Top destinations and activities
- Konak Square. The main meeting place and the beating heart of the city, Konak Square is home to Izmir’s most famous landmark, its clocktower. You can also visit the beautiful Konak Yali Mosque and try your bargaining skills at the Kemeraltı Bazaar that are both right next to the square.
- Alsancak. Made up of a network of small, narrow streets, Alsancak is the one place in Izmir where its Greek heritage still lives through its old mansions and other buildings. If you’re looking for a more Turkish flavor, visit one of the countless shisha bars that are located here.
- Kordon. The beautiful promenade along the Aegean Coast is a perfect place to go on a long stroll, meet locals, enjoy the shade of a palm tree or visit a local restaurant.
Traffic and parking tips
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 120 km/h (74.5 mph) on highways, 90 km/h (55.9 mph) on two-lane roads, and 50 km/h (31 mph) in populated and built-up areas.
- It is illegal to use the mobile phone while driving.
- On regional roads there might be fewer gas stations than on the national highways. Never stay too low on gas and always set out your route in advance to know the location of the next gas station.
- Due to high taxes, Turkey has a very expensive petrol, with prices higher than even in the most EU countries. Keep that in mind when setting out a route ahead!
- Turkey is overall a warm country, but during winter roads can be covered with ice, especially in mountainous regions. Do ask your car rental provider in advance if your vehicle’s tires will be equipped for to the season.
- Occasionally you might encounter police roadblocks and even military checkpoints, especially in Southeastern Turkey. They are there for your own safety, and on most cases they will only check your license and warn you about any potential danger that might lie ahead.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% if you’re driving alone and 0.00%. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines and a licence ban.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number is in 112. The police number is 155, the fire brigade number is 110, and the forest fire number is 177.
Driving on most national motorways, as well as some bridges and tunnels in Turkey require a toll payment, including many motorways in Izmir area and in the wider Turkish Aegean region.
Most Turkish toll roads only permit an electronic, contactless payment from an electronic toll-payment transponder that’s in a car or by an electronic chip-sticker that’s on a car. This means that you cannot pay either by cash or credit card for most toll roads (only a handful newer ones will permit that).
All rental cars have to be equipped either with a toll-payment transponder or with a toll-payment sticker. Some rental car providers might charge an extra fee for this service. Do contact your rental car provided in advance to find out more.
The toll roads in Turkey are divided in HGS, the High-Speed Passage System (Hızlı Geçiş Sistemi in Turkish) and OGS (Otomatik Geçiş Sistemi in Turkish). On HGS roads, you can pass through the toll area at a higher speed. On OGS roads, you need to slow down as you go through a toll gate and the toll payment is registered through the electronic transponder that’s in a car. The exact amount you’ll have to pay will depend on the specific road you drive on and on the distance of your travels.
Find out more about the toll roads in Turkey on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Beaches. The Izmir’s long history is fascinating, but, let’s be honest, the main attraction of the Izmir Province is its long and beautiful Aegean Coast. With a rental car you can easily reach many nearby beaches, Foça, Dikili, Urla, and Seferihisar being among the most famous ones.
- Tire. Known both for its fancy seafood and its no-nonsense meatballs, Tire is a real Turkish foodie destination. Time your travels to arrive her on Tuesday when the city’s open market takes place, then proceed to visit the even smaller fishing villages up or down the coast.
- Sardis. Just 40 minutes drive northeast of Izmir and next to the large city of Izmir, the ancient town of Sardis is a timeless and mythical place. Observe the ruins of the streets once inhabited by Ancient Greeks and Lycians, then go on a long walk in a nearby forest that encloses Mount Sipylus.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental cars in Izmir are the Renault Clio, the Fiat Albea, and the Citroen C Elysee. The most popular rental car types are compact, economy, and intermediate.
- Istanbul. Beautiful, rich in history, and really, really huge, Turkey’s largest city is a place like no other. Explore both its Asian and its European side, visit one of the countless historic sites, or simply get lost in its crazy atmosphere. Istanbul is about six hours drive north of Izmir.
- The coastline. The beaches near Izmir are great, but it gets even better as you drive down along the coast. Both the Aegean beach towns and its Mediterranean counterparts offer everything from popular spots for partying and doing water sports to rugged, more remote terrain for those who seek it. Marmaris, Antalya, and Alanya are some of the standout places.
- Ankara. Despite being located in the steppe, Ankara is a very green capital thanks to its many forests and parks. It also offers interesting architecture from both old and recent times, a number of impressive mosques, and interesting museums.
Car Rental Prices in Izmir
- Station wagons - from $67 per day
- Large cars - from $98 per day
- Medium cars - from $63 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $233 per day
- Premium cars - from $119 per day
- Small cars - from $54 per day
- SUVs - from $156 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
These are some of the tricks you can try to land an affordable rental car in Izmir:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Izmir is the cheapest in December when renting a car is about 50% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 65% cheaper than renting a car in July.
Top 20 Cities near Izmir
Istanbul Car Rentals from $22.73 per day358.6 km / 222.8 miles away
350.9 km / 218.0 miles away
Dalaman Car Rentals from $52.70 per day223.5 km / 138.9 miles away
Ankara Car Rentals from $26.61 per day542.7 km / 337.2 miles away
Bodrum Car Rentals from $25.07 per day124.1 km / 77.1 miles away
Kayseri Car Rentals from $27.24 per day727.0 km / 451.7 miles away
Adana Car Rentals from $40.29 per day729.7 km / 453.4 miles away
Konya Car Rentals from $36.95 per day473.9 km / 294.5 miles away
Samsun Car Rentals from $32.29 per day868.4 km / 539.6 miles away
Gaziantep Car Rentals from $45.26 per day920.8 km / 572.2 miles away
Gazipasa Car Rentals from $24.07 per day506.1 km / 314.5 miles away
Denizli Car Rentals from $29.14 per day229.8 km / 142.8 miles away
Sivas Car Rentals from $68.34 per day858.0 km / 533.1 miles away
Nevsehir Car Rentals from $28.55 per day659.1 km / 409.6 miles away
Malatya Car Rentals from $54.74 per day952.9 km / 592.1 miles away
Hatay Car Rentals from $34.56 per day834.2 km / 518.4 miles away
Kusadasi Car Rentals from $40.29 per day48.4 km / 30.0 miles away
Kemer Car Rentals from $36.95 per day355.6 km / 221.0 miles away
Marmaris Car Rentals from $22.73 per day187.7 km / 116.6 miles away
Kocaeli Car Rentals from $48.03 per day375.6 km / 233.4 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Izmir
Downtown Car Rentals from $31.69 per day
Izmir Airport Car Rentals from $32.31 per day15.3 km / 9.5 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $40.29 per day63.6 km / 39.6 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $57.66 per day69.4 km / 43.2 miles away
Bodrum Airport Car Rentals from $25.07 per day139.0 km / 86.3 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $29.14 per day185.6 km / 115.4 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $22.73 per day201.6 km / 125.3 miles away
Denizli Airport Car Rentals from $29.14 per day235.2 km / 146.2 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $52.70 per day236.1 km / 146.7 miles away
Dalaman Airport Car Rentals from $22.73 per day240.1 km / 149.2 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $22.73 per day328.6 km / 204.2 miles away
Istanbul Taksim Car Rentals from $40.29 per day330.0 km / 205.1 miles away
Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport Car Rentals from $22.73 per day331.4 km / 205.9 miles away
Istanbul Airport Car Rentals from $22.73 per day345.0 km / 214.4 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $64.57 per day358.6 km / 222.8 miles away
Antalya Akra Barut Hotel Car Rentals from $26.62 per day360.4 km / 224.0 miles away
Antalya Airport International Arrivals Car Rentals from $22.81 per day364.4 km / 226.4 miles away
Kocaeli Cengiz Topel Airport Car Rentals from $48.03 per day364.6 km / 226.6 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $36.95 per day364.9 km / 226.8 miles away
Konya Airport Car Rentals from $36.95 per day476.3 km / 296.0 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Izmir?
What’s the usual rental length in Izmir?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Izmir?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Goldcar||Hyundai i20||4||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Opel Corsa||4||1||Small cars|
|RightCars||Renault Clio||5||3||Small cars|
|Europcar Turkey||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Hyundai i20||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Peugeot 301||5||2||Medium cars|
|Surprice||Hyundai i20||4||1||Small cars|
|Interrent||Renault Symbol||5||1||Small cars|
|Europcar Turkey||Fiat Egea||5||2||Large cars|
|Surprice||Renault Clio||4||2||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 20 Suppliers in Izmir in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.5 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email