Car Rental in Ankara
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Ankara?
Ankara is a great place to visit. Although not as famous as Istanbul, from ancient sites to impressive architecture and awesome museums, Turkey’s capital has plenty of attractions. The city is close to a number of natural wonders, and with a rental car, you can even travel to the Black Sea or some of Turkey’s most famous sites such as Cappadocia.
One-Way Car Rentals in Ankara
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Ankara and drop off in another city include:
- From Ankara to Erzurum - 30 offers from $54.29 per day
- From Ankara to Istanbul - 293 offers from $27.56 per day
- From Ankara to Alanya - 8 offers from $55.57 per day
- From Ankara to Izmir - 56 offers from $32.01 per day
- From Ankara to Adana - 139 offers from $30.62 per day
Top ways to enter Ankara
- Ankara Airport: Also called Ankara-Esenboğa, the airport handles around 16 million travelers every year, making it the fourth-busiest in the country. The airport is served by around 15 different companies, though most flights are provided by AnadoluJet, Turkish Airlines, and Pegasus Airlines. The airport is 26km (16 miles) north of the city center and can be reached in about 40 minutes.
- Erkilet Airport: Serving the city of Kayseri, Erkilet Airport provides plenty of local connections as well as flights to and from countries like the Netherlands, Germany, Poland, and Iran. About 320km (199 miles) southeast of Ankara, the airport can be reached in 3 hours and 40 minutes.
- Istanbul Airport: Opened in October 2018, it replaced Istanbul-Ataturk as the main airport serving Turkey’s largest city. With flights by tens of airlines to and from all parts of the world, it is expected to be one of the busiest airports in Europe. Located 480km (300 miles) northwest of Ankara, the airport can be reached in about five hours.
- Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport: Named after the first female fighter pilot in the world, it is the smallest of the two Istnabul airports. The airport is the main hub of Pegasus Airlines, a Turkish low-cost carrier, and provides plenty of connections to and from destinations in Europe and Asia.
- Although it is not located on the coast, Ankara has a Mediterranean climate with very hot summers and cold, snowy winters. The average high temperature is 30°C (86°F) in August, the hottest month, and 4°C (39°F) in January. Precipitation is very low from July to September and at its highest in April and May. The average elevation of Ankara is 938 m (3,077 ft). If Turkey is considered a part of Europe, this makes Ankara the second-highest capital in it (after Andorra la Vella).
- Inhabited since at least the Bronze Age, the area of Ankara has been home to such varied peoples as the Phyrgians, Celtic Galatians, Persians, Greeks, and many others. The city was part of the Roman, Byzantine, and Ottoman empires. Ankara replaced Istanbul as the capital of Turkey in 1923. Its population at the time was around 70,000 at the time. Afterward, the city was enlarged according to government plans and is often considered a purpose-built capital. Today, nearly 5.5 million people live in or near Ankara.
Top destinations and activities
- Kocatepe Mosque. The largest mosque in Ankara and one of the most famous religious buildings in Turkey, Kocatepe took 20 years to build and was finished in 1987. As impressive from the inside as it is from the outside, it dominates the city’s skyline and is one of the symbols of the city.
- Museum of Anatolian Civilizations. Inhabited for thousands of years, the Ankara area has seen the rise and fall of many famous civilizations. The Museum of Anatolian Civilizations celebrates this rich and varied history with some of its oldest artifacts dating back all the way to the Stone Age. One of the best museums in Turkey, it should not be missed when visiting Ankara. Many ancient sites left by previous civilizations can also be visited in and around Ankara.
- Anıtkabir. Located in the Anittepe borough of Ankara, Anıtkabir is the mausoleum of Kemal Ataturk, the founder of modern Turkey. The imposing architectural complex features both Ottoman and ancient Anatolian motifs and is one of the most visited places in Ankara. Anıtkabir also features a museum where you can learn about the last hundred years of Turkish history.
Traffic and parking
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 120km/h (75 mph) on highways, 90km/h (56 mph) on two-lane roads, and 50km/h (31 mph) in populated and built-up areas.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving.
- On regional roads, there might be fewer gas stations than on the national highways. Never stay too low on gas and always set out your route in advance to know the location of the next gas station.
- Due to high taxes, Turkey has very expensive petrol, with prices higher than in most EU countries. Keep that in mind when planning your route!
- Turkey is, overall, a warm country, but during winter, roads can be covered with ice, especially in mountainous regions. Ask your car rental provider in advance if your vehicle’s tires will be equipped for the season.
- Occasionally you might encounter police roadblocks or military checkpoints, especially in Southeastern Turkey. In most cases they will only check your license and warn you about any potential danger that might lie ahead.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% if you’re driving alone and 0.00%. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines and a license ban.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number is 112. The police number is 155, the fire brigade number is 110, and the forest fire number is 177.
Driving on most national motorways, as well as some bridges and tunnels in Turkey, requires payment of a toll.
Most Turkish toll roads only accept electronic, contactless payment from an electronic transponder that’s in a car or by a sticker with an electronic chip affixed to the car’s windshield. This means that you cannot pay either by cash or credit card for most toll roads.
All rental cars have to be equipped either with a toll transponder or sticker. Some rental car providers might charge an extra fee for this service. contact your rental car provided in advance to find out more.
The toll roads in Turkey are divided among HGS, the High-Speed Passage System (Hızlı Geçiş Sistemi in Turkish), and OGS (Otomatik Geçiş Sistemi in Turkish). On HGS roads, you can pass through the toll area at a higher speed. On OGS roads, you need to slow down as you go through a toll gate and the toll payment is registered through the electronic transponder that’s in a car. The exact amount you’ll have to pay will depend on the specific road you drive on and on the distance of your travels.
Find out more about toll roads in Turkey on the European toll road website.
Ideas for day trips
- Ataturk Forest Farm and Zoo. A large park located in a very picturesque place, the forest farm and zoo is a great place to escape the big city. It has something for everyone - from farms run by local peasants to walking paths, restaurants, and a brewery. The zoo houses both native and exotic animal species like cheetahs, snow leopards, and vultures. Located just 8km (5 miles) west of Ankara’s city center, the farm and zoo can be reached in about ten minutes.
- Beypazarı. A small and picturesque town northwest of Ankara, Beypazarı is a favorite place to visit for many of the travelers who known the Ankara region well. The town is famous for its traditional architecture, healing mineral waters, delicious sweets, and Beypazarı Valley which surrounds it. Located 100km (62 miles) from Ankara, Beypazarı can be reached in about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Boğazkale. Located near the modern town of Boğazkale are the ruins of the ancient city of Hattusa. Founded about 2,600 years ago, it served as the capital of the Hittite Empire, one of the earliest empires on the planet. Visitors can see the ruins of ancient landmarks like the Lion Gate; others, like the Hattusa city walls, have been reconstructed. Located 190km (118 miles) east of Ankara, Hattusa can be reached in about 2 hours and 20 minutes.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in the Turkish capital is the Fiat 500, although many travelers also pick the Toyota Yaris and the Ford Fiesta. The most popular rental car types are economy, standard, and compact.
- The Black Sea coast. Known as Karadeniz in Turkish, the Black Sea, and its long impressive beaches is the dominant feature (and main tourist attraction) of Northern Turkey. The Turkish Black Sea coast stretches from the border with Bulgaria in the west all the way to the border with Georgia in the east. From scenic historic attractions like Amasra to resort towns like Akçakoca, there’s something for every traveler to enjoy. The latter is just 270km (168 miles) north of Ankara and can be reached in about three hours. You can explore the rest of the shoreline from there.
- Istanbul. Spanning two continents, Turkey’s largest city is as famous for immense landmarks such as Hagia Sophia and the Grand Bazaar as it is for its narrow winding side streets and traditional Turkish baths. A place like no other, it can be explored for weeks, if not months, without bordem. Located 450km (280 miles) northwest of Ankara, Istanbul can be reached in about five hours.
- Cappadocia. Visiting Cappadocia, a historic region in Central Anatolia, can feel like going to a different planet. Made up of otherworldly rock formations, cave churches, deep canyons, and underground cities, it takes an effort to get to but is still a must-visit place if you’re in Turkey. Located about 280km (173 miles) southeast of Ankara, Cappadocia can be reached in about 3 hours and 40 minutes.
Car Rental Prices in Ankara
- Station wagons - from $28 per day
- Large cars - from $24 per day
- Medium cars - from $25 per day
- Vans - from $37 per day
- Premium cars - from $76 per day
- Small cars - from $21 per day
- SUVs - from $38 per day
Getting a cheap rental car in Ankara is easier if you follow these tips:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Ankara is the cheapest in March when renting a car is about 73% cheaper than the yearly average. Come visit Turkey in the early spring!
Top 20 Cities near Ankara
Eskisehir Car Rentals from $32.37 per day213.9 km / 132.9 miles away
Nevsehir Car Rentals from $29.97 per day223.2 km / 138.7 miles away
Goreme Car Rentals from $29.97 per day228.3 km / 141.9 miles away
Konya Car Rentals from $45.97 per day241.9 km / 150.3 miles away
Kayseri Car Rentals from $14.96 per day262.4 km / 163.0 miles away
Istanbul Car Rentals from $16.35 per day323.1 km / 200.8 miles away
Samsun Car Rentals from $25.44 per day326.1 km / 202.6 miles away
Bursa Car Rentals from $29.33 per day336.9 km / 209.3 miles away
Denizli Car Rentals from $36.32 per day385.9 km / 239.8 miles away
Mersin Car Rentals from $29.21 per day397.3 km / 246.9 miles away
Adana Car Rentals from $21.16 per day402.3 km / 250.0 miles away
Antalya Car Rentals from $15.32 per day406.7 km / 252.7 miles away
Gazipasa Car Rentals from $26.19 per day430.0 km / 267.2 miles away
Gaziantep Car Rentals from $32.31 per day526.3 km / 327.0 miles away
Dalyan Car Rentals from $35.24 per day526.9 km / 327.4 miles away
Dalaman Car Rentals from $21.16 per day527.4 km / 327.7 miles away
Sarigerme Car Rentals from $35.24 per day533.1 km / 331.3 miles away
Izmir Car Rentals from $20.59 per day542.7 km / 337.2 miles away
Marmaris Car Rentals from $40.03 per day550.3 km / 341.9 miles away
Kusadasi Car Rentals from $46.37 per day555.4 km / 345.1 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Ankara
Ankara Airport Car Rentals from $24.52 per day
Nevsehir Airport Car Rentals from $29.97 per day223.2 km / 138.7 miles away
Konya Airport Car Rentals from $45.97 per day241.9 km / 150.3 miles away
Kayseri Airport Car Rentals from $20.59 per day262.4 km / 163.0 miles away
Istanbul Airport Sabiha Gokcen Car Rentals from $16.35 per day323.1 km / 200.8 miles away
Istanbul Pendik Car Rentals from $42.45 per day325.6 km / 202.3 miles away
Samsun Airport Car Rentals from $25.44 per day326.1 km / 202.6 miles away
Istanbul Kadikoy Car Rentals from $21.16 per day343.9 km / 213.7 miles away
Istanbul Kanyon Shopping mall Car Rentals from $40.26 per day352.5 km / 219.0 miles away
Istanbul Taksim Car Rentals from $28.59 per day353.4 km / 219.6 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $25.52 per day354.7 km / 220.4 miles away
Istanbul Airport Car Rentals from $25.21 per day379.7 km / 235.9 miles away
Denizli Airport Car Rentals from $36.32 per day385.9 km / 239.8 miles away
Adana Airport Car Rentals from $21.16 per day402.3 km / 250.0 miles away
Antalya Airport Car Rentals from $15.32 per day406.7 km / 252.7 miles away
Gazipasa Airport Car Rentals from $26.19 per day430.0 km / 267.2 miles away
Gaziantep Airport Car Rentals from $32.31 per day526.3 km / 327.0 miles away
Dalaman Airport Car Rentals from $21.16 per day527.4 km / 327.7 miles away
Izmir Airport Car Rentals from $20.59 per day542.7 km / 337.2 miles away
Bodrum Airport Car Rentals from $21.73 per day562.4 km / 349.5 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Ankara?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Ankara?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Ankara?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||13|
|Popular suppliers||Pandora, GreenMotion, Europcar, Wish Car Rental, Essence Car Rental|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, Large cars, SUVs|
|Lowest price||$21 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Goldcar||Renault Clio||4||1||Small cars|
|Essence Car Rental||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Citroen C-Elysee||4||1||Small cars|
|Pandora||Fiat Egea||5||1||Large cars|
|Pandora||Peugeot 301||5||1||Large cars|
|Hit||Fiat Egea||4||2||Medium cars|
|Europcar||Fiat Egea||5||2||Medium cars|
|Pandora||Renault Clio||4||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Renault Taliant||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Egea||5||2||Medium cars|