Car Rental in Murcia
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Murcia?
Murcia is a great city to visit. What it lacks in historical attractions and architecture that other Spanish cities have, it more than makes up for with its unique atmosphere, spectacular coastline, and delicious food. Murcia can also be a great base from which to explore the rest of Southern Spain.
One-Way Car Rentals in Murcia
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Murcia and drop off in another city include:
- From Murcia to Alicante - 29 offers from 9.90 USD per day
- From Murcia to Barcelona - 28 offers from 9.90 USD per day
- From Murcia to Almeria - 8 offers from 10.88 USD per day
Top ways to enter Murcia
- Región de Murcia Airport: Serving the city of Murcia as well as the larger region of the same name, the airport was opened in January 2019, making it one of the youngest international airports in Europe. Also known as Murcia-Corvera, it replaced Murcia-San Javier Airport. The airport is especially active during the summer months when it hosts flights by six different airlines, all of them low-cost carriers. Located 27km (17 miles) south of the city, the airport can be reached in about 20 minutes.
- Alicante Airport: Serving the popular beach destination of Alicante in the Valencian Community, Alicante-Elche Airport is the fifth-busiest in Spain. The airport is a focus city for many companies, including low-cost airlines like Vueling and Norwegian Air. Located just 72km (44 miles) northeast of Murcia, the airport can be reached in 40 to 50 minutes.
- Almeria Airport: A small and cozy airport on the Mediterranean coast, it served 1 million travelers in 2018. The airport is especially active during the summer months when it has flights by nearly 20 different airlines. Located 213km (132 miles) south of Murcia, Almeria Airport can be reached in two hours.
- Valencia Airport: Serving Spain’s third-largest city, Valencia Airport is a large hub for Ryanair. It is also served by around 20 other airlines, providing flights to and from the rest of Spain, other European countries, and North Africa. Located 235km (146 miles) north of Murcia, the airport can be reached in about 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Granada Airport: Also known by its full name Federico García Lorca Granada-Jaén Airport, it served 1.1 million travelers in 2018. The airport is served by five different airlines, including low-cost companies Vueling and easyJet. Located 290km (180 miles) southwest of Murcia, it can be reached in about 2 hours and 45 minutes.
Useful city facts
- Murcia has a hot semi-arid climate with Mediterranean influences. The city experiences very hot summers and mild, pleasant winters. The average high temperature is 34°C (94°F) in August, the warmest month. Murcia is one of the hottest cities in Europe and remaining properly hydrated is absolutely essential in July and August. The average high temperature is 17°C (62°F) in January, the city’s coldest month. Murcia has very low precipitation throughout the year and about 320 sunny days annually. There is practically no rain in July and August.
- With 447,000 inhabitants, Murcia is the seventh-most populous city in Spain, which is larger than cities like Palma de Mallorca, Bilbao, and Las Palmas. Another 240,000 thousand live in its wider metropolitan area. Murcia is also the capital city of the Autonomous Community of Murcia, one of Spain’s regions.
- Although the region of Murcia has seen human settlement since prehistory and has had inhabitants like the Phoenicians, Romans, and Visigoths, the city of Murcia was only established in the 9th Century as part of the Islamic Caliphate of Cordoba. The city was recaptured by Christians in 1243, but Murcia’s Moorish roots are still noticeable in its architecture and cuisine.
Top destinations and activities
- El Valle. A large and green nature reserve, El Valle is best known among foreign visitors as a location of an 18-hole golf course. Even if you’re not a fan of this sport, El Valle is still an amazing place to visit for the impressive views of the city and valley below. Come here right before sunset - El Valle is only about ten minute ride from the city center.
- Castle of Monteagudo. Dramatically located on the top of a rocky mountain, Castillo de Monteagudo was originally built by the city’s Muslim inhabitants in the 11th century, but archaeological research shows that the mountain has been inhabited for more than 4,000 years. When the Reconquista invaded Murcia, the city became one of the summer residences of the Spanish king. A large sculpture of Christ was put on top of the building. The Castle of Monteagudo remains of the symbols of Murcia to this day.
- Beaches. Like many other Spanish cities in the region, one of Murcia’s main attractions is its proximity to the Mediterranean coast. There are a number of popular beaches in nearby cities such as Cartagena and San Javier, but with a rental car, you can travel even further and explore the stunning coastal stretches between Mazarron and Aguilas or drive to the seaside spit of La Manga.
Traffic and parking tips
- Speed limits - 50km/h (31mph) in built-up areas, 90km/h (56mph) on most standard roads, 100km/h (62mph) on standard roads that are either one-way roads, roads with more than two lanes for at least one direction of traffic and roads with shoulders more than 1.5m wide, and 120km/h (74mph) on motorways (called autovías in Spain).
- The car’s documentation and proof of insurance always has to be inside of it.
- The driver and all passengers are required to wear seatbelts.
- Children up to the age of 12 and measuring less than 135cm travelling on the front seat of a car must be seated in a child restraint system adapted to their size and weight.
- Unnecessary use of audible warning devices (horns) is prohibited.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the roads in Spain are toll-free. Toll roads are called ‘carretera de peaje’. On maps and road signs, all toll roads have to include a letter P after the road type. The methods of payment accepted may vary depending on the road, but most will accept cash. Regardless of the region, the average estimated price is €9.5 ($11.25) per 100km. See the official Spanish toll road website for prices and more information.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Cartagena. Named after ancient Carthage which was located on the other side of the Mediterranean, Cartagena is one of the most interesting historic cities of Spain. Like the great cities of Andalusia, Cartagena has plenty of Moorish heritage, but there are also even older sites and relics from Punic and Roman times. Some of Cartagena’s other landmarks include buildings by the famous architect Antonio Gaudi, the city’s promenade and harbour, and the National Museum of Subaquatic Archaeology. Located just 50km (31 miles) south of Murcia, Cartagena can be reached in about 35 minutes.
- Alicante. So famous are the beaches of the city of Alicante and the villages that surround it that the area’s population is said to nearly triple during the summer months. If you ever get tired of the sun and the sea, you can also visit the Castle of Santa Barbara, the Museum of the City of Alicante, and the Gothic Basilica of Santa Maria. Located 80km (50 miles) north of Murcia, Alicante can be reached in about 50 minutes.
- Sierras de Cazorla, Segura y Las Villas Natural Park. Located in the sparsely populated province of Jaén, Sierras de Cazorla is the largest protected area in Spain and the second-largest in all of Europe. Made up of two steep mountain ranges, large valleys, and rapid rivers, the area is home to such species as the Spanish ibex, the bearded vulture, and wild sheep. 160km (99 miles) east of Murcia, the nature park can be reached in about two hours.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental cars in Murcia are the Fiat 500, the Fiat Panda, and the Ford Fiesta. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and standard.
- Andalusia. From the Alhambra in Granada and the Mezquita in Cordoba to flamenco in Seville, the region of Andalusia is very rich with cultural heritage. But there’s even more to enjoy here, from the beautiful Costa del Sol beach region and little fishing villages to untamed wilderness. Granada is 278km (173 miles) southwest of Murcia and can be reached in 2 hours and 40 minutes; you can explore the rest of the region from there.
- Madrid. Grand and imperial, Madrid is world-famous for its architecture and for the holy trinity of its amazing museums, Prado, Thyssen-Bornemisza, and the Reina Sofia. But there’s another side to the city as well, from the El Rastro flea market and its many distinct neighborhoods to some of the best street food from all over Latin America, the Middle East, and Africa. Whichever Spanish capital you’re most interested in, it’s almost guaranteed that you’ll have a great time. Located 400km (250 miles) northwest of Murcia, Madrid can be reached in about 3 hours and 40 minutes.
- Portugal. Spain’s western neighbor is a fascinating place to visit. Influenced more by the Atlantic Ocean than the Mediterranean, the weather in Portugal is harsher, the coastline more rugged, and its traditions proudly unique. Visit it for the endless beaches of Algarve, beautiful cities like Porto and Lisbon, and 100 different ways to make bacalhau (or cod fish) taste delicious. Faro, the nearest large city, is 720km (447 miles) west of Murcia and takes about seven hours to reach, but there’s plenty to see on the way, so the long trip is worth it. To go from Portugal to Spain, you’ll have to cross an international border, so make sure in advance that your rental car provider permits it.
Car Rental Prices in Murcia
- Large cars - from $40 per day
- Medium cars - from $27 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $91 per day
- Small cars - from $20 per day
- SUVs - from $22 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
It’s easy to find a good rental car in Murcia if you follow these tips:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Murcia is the cheapest in January when renting a car is about 50% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 64% cheaper than renting a car in July. Start your year with a vacation to Southern Spain!
Top 20 Cities near Murcia
Madrid Car Rentals from $21.68 per day348.3 km / 216.4 miles away
Barcelona Car Rentals from $15.22 per day458.1 km / 284.7 miles away
Malaga Car Rentals from $6.25 per day332.9 km / 206.8 miles away
Alicante Car Rentals from $8.55 per day58.8 km / 36.5 miles away
Valencia Car Rentals from $11.04 per day175.4 km / 109.0 miles away
Seville Car Rentals from $16.88 per day424.9 km / 264.0 miles away
Bilbao Car Rentals from $13.41 per day609.4 km / 378.7 miles away
555.9 km / 345.4 miles away
Santander Car Rentals from $24.34 per day645.8 km / 401.3 miles away
Santiago de Compostela Car Rentals from $29.79 per day823.3 km / 511.6 miles away
Granada Car Rentals from $17.48 per day250.7 km / 155.8 miles away
Valladolid Car Rentals from $26.41 per day521.6 km / 324.1 miles away
A Coruña Car Rentals from $43.58 per day850.1 km / 528.3 miles away
Asturias Car Rentals from $29.12 per day744.9 km / 462.8 miles away
Zaragoza Car Rentals from $29.21 per day408.1 km / 253.6 miles away
Jerez Car Rentals from $18.75 per day458.3 km / 284.7 miles away
Vigo Car Rentals from $32.06 per day793.3 km / 492.9 miles away
Almeria Car Rentals from $15.82 per day169.0 km / 105.0 miles away
Reus Car Rentals from $31.59 per day401.8 km / 249.7 miles away
Cadiz Car Rentals from $24.94 per day485.5 km / 301.7 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Murcia
Murcia Airport Car Rentals from $9.16 per day20.8 km / 13.0 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $24.09 per day37.8 km / 23.5 miles away
Cartagena Train Station Car Rentals from $24.22 per day44.8 km / 27.8 miles away
Alicante Airport Car Rentals from $8.55 per day58.8 km / 36.5 miles away
Alicante Train Station Car Rentals from $27.62 per day67.1 km / 41.7 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $22.91 per day106.5 km / 66.2 miles away
Almeria Airport Car Rentals from $15.82 per day169.0 km / 105.0 miles away
Valencia Train Station Car Rentals from $22.60 per day175.3 km / 108.9 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $25.15 per day175.3 km / 108.9 miles away
Valencia Airport Car Rentals from $11.04 per day175.4 km / 109.0 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $16.84 per day194.2 km / 120.7 miles away
Jaen Train Station Car Rentals from $25.02 per day235.8 km / 146.5 miles away
Granada Train Station Car Rentals from $24.94 per day237.2 km / 147.4 miles away
Granada Airport Car Rentals from $17.48 per day250.7 km / 155.8 miles away
Ciudad Real Train Station Car Rentals from $28.08 per day267.3 km / 166.1 miles away
Malaga Port Car Rentals from $40.43 per day324.5 km / 201.6 miles away
Malaga Train Station Car Rentals from $22.17 per day325.7 km / 202.4 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $25.38 per day328.7 km / 204.2 miles away
Malaga Airport Car Rentals from $6.25 per day332.9 km / 206.8 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $23.68 per day336.1 km / 208.9 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Murcia?
What’s the usual rental length in Murcia?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Murcia?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Centauro||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Goldcar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Centauro||Ford Focus||5||3||Medium cars|
|Interrent||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Centauro||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Rhodium||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Interrent||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|
|Interrent||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 10 Suppliers in Murcia in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.5 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email