Car Rental in Alicante
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Alicante?
Alicante is a great place to rent a car. Located on the Mediterranean Coast, it is near other interesting cities like Valencia and Barcelona, and has a frequent ferry service to and from Balearic Islands. Its beaches attract sun and sea lovers from all over the world, while sites of the area’s past are a delight for history buffs.
One-Way Car Rentals in Alicante
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Alicante and drop off in another city include:
- From Alicante to Valencia - 260 offers from $6.50 per day
- From Alicante to Malaga - 187 offers from $6.50 per day
- From Alicante to Seville - 111 offers from $6.50 per day
- From Alicante to Barcelona - 139 offers from $6.50 per day
- From Alicante to Madrid - 111 offers from $6.50 per day
Top ways to enter Alicante
- Alicante Airport: Also known as Alicante-Elche Airport, it is served by more than 40 different airlines and is especially popular with low-cost carriers.
- Valencia Airport: Serving the capital of Valencian Community, of which Alicante is also a part of, this airport hosts flights to and from destinations all over Europe, as well as some in North Africa.
- Murcia Airport: Just an hour’s drive from Alicante, the new Región de Murcia International Airport was opened in January 2019 when it replaced Murcia–San Javier Airport.
- The two main languages of Alicante are Spanish and Valenciano, a local language similar to Catalan. English is well-known among the people working in the service industry.
- Like most Spanish cities along the Mediterranean Coast, Alicante is warm and dry. Winters are generally mild, while summers can get extremely hot, with temperatures rising over 35 °C (95 °F).
Top destinations and activities
- Archeological Museum of Alicante. The museum uses modern technology to tell the story of Alicante’s past, from Stone Age through Iberian and Roman times to modern day. It features more than 80,000 artefacts found in the area. Lucentum Archaeological Site is another site where you can learn more about the area’s history and see the remains of the old Roman city.
- Beaches. Obviously, one of the biggest attractions of Alicante is its location right on the Mediterranean, and it indeed has something to offer to every beach lover. Platja del Postiguet Beach is the fun one, Platja de San Juan Beach the most famous one, and Platja dels Arenals del Sol Beach the quiet one.
- Alicante Museum of Contemporary Art. Despite having contemporary in its name, the MACA combines the best of present and past – its collections feature works of such renowned artists as Picasso, Miro, and Braque, among others. Open since 2011, the museum doubles as a venue for various art events. It is closed on Mondays and is open fewer hours on Sundays. Admission is free.
- Santa Bárbara Castle. Known for its dramatic mountaintop location (it sits on Mount Benacantil), Santa Bárbara is one of the most spectacular landmarks of Alicante. Dating back to the 9th century when the area was ruled by the Arabic-speaking Moors, it continues to provide stunning views of the city and port below. It is possible to drive to the castle (though finding parking can be a challenge), though you could also walk or take the lift, instead.
Traffic and parking
- Speed limits - 50km/h (31mph) in built-up areas, 90km/h (56mph) on most standard roads, 100km/h (62mph) on standard roads that are either one-way roads, roads with more than two lanes for at least one direction of traffic and roads with shoulders more than 1.5m wide, and 120km/h (74mph) on motorways (called autovías in Spain).
- The car documentation and insurance always has to be inside a vehicle.
- The driver and all passengers are required to wear seatbelts.
- Children up to the age of 12 and measuring less than 135cm travelling on the front seat of a car must be seated in a child restraint system adapted to their size and weight.
- Unnecessary use of audible warning devices (horns) is prohibited.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the roads inside the country are toll-free. Toll roads are called ‘carretera de peaje’. On maps and road signs, all toll roads have to include a letter P after the road type. The payment method may vary depending on the road, but most will accept cash. Regardless of the region, the average estimated price is €9.5 ($11.25) per 100km by car. See the official website for prices and more information.
Ideas for day trips
- Elche. Located away from the coast, Elche doesn’t see quite as many tourists as Alicante, but those who do visit get to enjoy one of the most historical cities in all of the Valencian Community. Known for its millennia-old heritage that dates back to the Phoenician times, the city is home to a palm grove that’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The drive from Alicante only takes about 25 minutes.
- Murcia Autonomous Community. Just south of Alicante, this region gets less attention from international visitors, but you should not overlook it otherwise you’ll miss out on interesting towns, ancient Punic sites, and delicious cuisine.
- Sierras de Cazorla, Segura y Las Villas Natural Park. It takes about three hours to reach by car, but the largest protected nature area in Spain (and second in Europe) is a very rewarding destination thanks to its mountains, wildlife, and unique landscapes.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in Spain is the Ford Fiesta, but travelers tend to also choose the Fiat 500 and the Ford Focus a lot. The most popular car types are economy, compact and mini.
- Barcelona. As known for its beaches and parties as it is for some of the best cultural experiences in all of Europe, Barcelona can only be missed at your own peril. The drive to the capital of the region of Catalonia takes about five hours.
- Madrid. Very different in atmosphere from Barcelona, but just as relevant in terms of arts and entertainment, Spain’s capital is another fascinating city to visit. A fascinating four-hour drive from Alicante will take you through some of the least explored regions of the country.
- Granada. Known for stunning sites like the Alhambra and other Moorish buildings, Granada is a history lover’s gem – its architecture is really second to none. Located in eastern Andalusia, the city can also serve as a gateway to Sierra Nevada National Park and the rest of the region. The drive from Alicante will take about 3 hours and 30 minutes.
Car Rental Prices in Alicante
- Convertibles - from $23 per day
- Station wagons - from $38 per day
- Large cars - from $13 per day
- Medium cars - from $11 per day
- Vans - from $22 per day
- Premium cars - from $30 per day
- Small cars - from $9 per day
- SUVs - from $11 per day
There are ways to be smart about renting a car in Alicante:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Alicante is the cheapest in May when renting a car is about 56% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Alicante
Torrevieja Car Rentals from $22.29 per day35.2 km / 21.9 miles away
Benidorm Car Rentals from $22.44 per day47.7 km / 29.6 miles away
Murcia Car Rentals from $15.96 per day73.3 km / 45.5 miles away
Valencia Car Rentals from $9.40 per day134.0 km / 83.3 miles away
Castellon Car Rentals from $27.55 per day220.2 km / 136.8 miles away
Almeria Car Rentals from $18.68 per day226.4 km / 140.7 miles away
Roquetas de Mar Car Rentals from $49.02 per day252.0 km / 156.6 miles away
Granada Car Rentals from $13.27 per day308.2 km / 191.5 miles away
Nerja Car Rentals from $41.64 per day339.8 km / 211.1 miles away
Salou Car Rentals from $36.42 per day342.5 km / 212.8 miles away
Reus Car Rentals from $28.59 per day350.8 km / 218.0 miles away
Madrid Car Rentals from $6.36 per day355.9 km / 221.1 miles away
Cordoba Car Rentals from $34.62 per day372.9 km / 231.7 miles away
Zaragoza Car Rentals from $22.72 per day376.3 km / 233.8 miles away
Malaga Car Rentals from $9.55 per day391.1 km / 243.0 miles away
Barcelona Car Rentals from $6.19 per day403.6 km / 250.8 miles away
Marbella Car Rentals from $23.68 per day431.1 km / 267.9 miles away
Estepona Car Rentals from $55.06 per day455.4 km / 283.0 miles away
Lloret de Mar Car Rentals from $58.70 per day477.1 km / 296.5 miles away
Seville Car Rentals from $14.89 per day478.2 km / 297.1 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Alicante
Alicante Airport Car Rentals from $8.89 per day
Region de Murcia International Airport Car Rentals from $15.96 per day73.3 km / 45.5 miles away
Valencia Train Station Car Rentals from $13.10 per day131.5 km / 81.7 miles away
Valencia Airport Car Rentals from $9.40 per day134.0 km / 83.3 miles away
Castellon Airport Car Rentals from $51.38 per day220.2 km / 136.8 miles away
Almeria Airport Car Rentals from $18.68 per day226.4 km / 140.7 miles away
Granada Airport Car Rentals from $13.27 per day308.2 km / 191.5 miles away
Reus Airport Car Rentals from $31.13 per day350.8 km / 218.0 miles away
Madrid Airport Car Rentals from $6.36 per day355.9 km / 221.1 miles away
Madrid Atocha Train Station Car Rentals from $16.19 per day358.0 km / 222.5 miles away
Madrid Chamartin Train Station Car Rentals from $8.05 per day362.2 km / 225.1 miles away
Zaragoza Train Station Car Rentals from $22.72 per day376.3 km / 233.8 miles away
Malaga Train Station Car Rentals from $15.51 per day383.9 km / 238.5 miles away
Malaga Airport Car Rentals from $9.55 per day391.1 km / 243.0 miles away
Barcelona Airport Car Rentals from $6.19 per day403.6 km / 250.8 miles away
Barcelona Train Station Car Rentals from $14.27 per day414.0 km / 257.2 miles away
Barcelona Rambla de Catalunya Car Rentals from $35.03 per day416.2 km / 258.6 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $25.30 per day416.6 km / 258.9 miles away
Seville Airport Car Rentals from $14.89 per day478.2 km / 297.1 miles away
Girona Airport Car Rentals from $19.63 per day491.2 km / 305.2 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Alicante?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Alicante?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Alicante?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||5|
|Popular suppliers||Record-go, Key Go Rent, Goldcar, Centauro, Wiber|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, SUVs, Medium cars, Vans|
|Lowest price||$9 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Record-go||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Record-go||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Record-go||Fiat 500X||5||3||Medium cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Key Go Rent||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Key Go Rent||Citroen C3||5||2||Small cars|
|Key Go Rent||Fiat Panda||5||2||Small cars|
|Centauro||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.