Car Rental in Granada
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Granada?
Granada is one of the old great cities in Spain. Known for its Muslim architecture that’s best observed in world-famous Alhambra and also for its Catholic cathedrals, old palace gardens, and the nearby Sierra Nevada mountains, it is a truly special place to explore. Having your own rental car will also let you go on exciting day-trips to many other cities and landmarks in Andalusia.
One-Way Car Rentals in Granada
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Granada and drop off in another city include:
- From Granada to Malaga - 70 offers from 13.20 USD per day
- From Granada to Seville - 116 offers from 12.10 USD per day
- From Granada to Cadiz - 18 offers from 40.22 USD per day
- From Granada to Ubeda - 20 offers from 25.40 USD per day
- From Granada to Valencia - 70 offers from 12.10 USD per day
Top ways to enter Granada
- Granada Airport: Also known as Federico García Lorca Airport after the famous poet who hailed from the city, Granada Airport is served by five different airlines, including low-cost carriers Vueling and easyJet. The airport served 1.1 million travelers in 2018, a 24% increase from the year before. Located 17km (10 miles) west of the city center, the airport can be reached in about 20 minutes.
- Malaga Airport: Serving not only the city of Malaga, but also the larger Costa del Sol Region, this airport is the fourth-busiest in Spain and the busiest in Andalusia. More than 40 different airlines fly to and from Malaga, connecting it to destinations all across Europe as well as North Africa and the Middle East. Malaga airport is located 130km (80.7 mi) southwest of Granada and can be reached in about two hours.
- Almeria Airport: A small and cozy Andalusian airport on the coast, Almeria Airport is especially active during the summer months when it is served by around 20 different airlines. During winter, the airport hosts a number of domestic flights as well as flights to and from London and Brussels. Almeria Airport is located 160km (99 mi) southeast of Granada and can be reached in about two hours by car.
- Gibraltar La Linea Airport: Serving the small British overseas territory of Gibraltar, this airport hosts a number of flights to and from destinations in the United Kingdom as well as Casablanca and Tangier in Morocco, just on the other side of the Mediterranean. Located 250km (155 mi) southwest of Granada, the airport can be reached in just under three hours. Do keep in mind that if you drive from Gibraltar to Granada, you’ll be crossing an international border, so first make sure your rental car provider permits it.
- By rail: If you arrive in Granada by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Granada’s railway station.
Useful city facts
- Granada has a hot Mediterranean climate with semi-arid influences. Summers are very hot - the average temperature is 26°C (78°F) in July, the warmest month, but individual days can see temperatures rise to 40°C (104°F). Precipitation is almost nonexistent from June to August. Winters are mild, but humid, with the average temperature being 7°C (44°F) in January, the coldest month. Snowfall is not uncommon in the nearby mountains.
- Granada has a population of around 230,000 people, with another 700,000 living in Province of Granada. The city is made up of several old, distinct neighborhoods, such as Realejo, the old Jewish quarter; Bib-Rambla, the location of the old Arab bazaar that is nowadays a foodie paradise full of high-class restaurants; Sacromonte, a unique area inhabited by the city’s Gitano or Roma population, a center for flamenco music, and unique for its cave houses dug in hills; and Albayzin, the location of the ancient City of Elvira.
Top destinations and activities
- The Alhambra. One of the main attractions of not only Granada, but all of Spain, visiting Alhambra is an experience of a lifetime. Built by the Islamic Moors who ruled the area for centuries, the Alhambra is a made up of a palace and fortress as well as gardens, towers, courts, and other structures. The complex is incredibly impressive as a whole, but it is its many fine details of ornaments, Islamic calligraphy, and arabesques that make Alhambra the historic and architectural jewel that it is. It’s a good idea to book a tour and tickets in advance, you can do that on Alhambra’s official website.
- Granada Cathedral. Also known as the Cathedral of the Incarnation, the second-largest church in Spain is a fine example of Spanish Renaissance architecture. Built in the 16th Century after Granada was no longer under Moorish rule, Granada Cathedral soon gained the status as one of the symbols of the city and retains that to this day.
- Plaza de Bib-Rambla. Perhaps the most important square of Granada, it was built by the Moors. Over the centuries, it has hosted everything from open-air markets and different festivals to Christian processions. Nowadays the square is a calm and relaxing place known for its beautiful fountains and for the great restaurants found in and around it.
Traffic and parking tips
- Speed limits - 50km/h (31mph) in built-up areas, 90km/h (56mph) on most standard roads, 100km/h (62mph) on standard roads that are either one-way roads, roads with more than two lanes for at least one direction of traffic and roads with shoulders more than 1.5m wide, and 120km/h (74mph) on motorways (called autovías in Spain).
- The car’s documentation and proof of insurance must be inside the vehicle at all times.
- The driver and all passengers are required to wear seatbelts.
- Children up to the age of 12 and measuring less than 135cm travelling in the front seat of a car must be seated in a child restraint system adapted to their size and weight.
- Unnecessary use of audible warning devices (horns) is prohibited.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the roads inside the country are toll-free. Toll roads are called ‘carretera de peaje’. On maps and road signs, all toll roads have to include a letter P after the road type. The payment method may vary depending on the road, but most will accept cash. Regardless of the region, the average estimated price is €9.5 ($11.25) per 100km for cars. See the official website for prices and more information.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Sierra Nevada National Park. Perhaps the most famous national park in Spain, Sierra Nevada is best known for its skiing opportunities. Even if you’re not visiting in winter, there’s plenty to do, from hiking the mountain paths to trying to spot animals like the Spanish ibex, the Eurasian eagle-owl, and the European wildcat. The national park is located just 10km (6.2 mi) east of Granada and can be reached in about 10 minutes.
- Costa del Sol. The most famous coastal area of Spain, Costa del Sol is a beach paradise. With plenty of scenic little towns like Fuengirola and Torremolinos, fun crowded spots with coastal restaurants, and plenty of opportunities for water sports, the area offers the best beach vacation in Europe. Malaga, Costa del Sol’s largest city, is located 124km (77 mi) southwest of Granada and can be reached in approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes by car.
- Cordoba. Another metropolis of Muslim Spain, Cordoba doesn’t have the Alhambra, but is otherwise perhaps an even more pure example of Moorish architecture than Granada. If you’re fascinated by this heritage then Mezquita, a mosque-turned-cathedral, is simply a must-see. More than that, Cordoba also boasts a well-preserved Jewish quarter. About 200km (125 mi) northwest of Granada, Cordoba can be reached in a little more than two hours.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car type in Granada is a mini, followed by economy and standard. The most popular rental cars are the Fiat 500, the Opel Corsa, and the Peugeot 108.
- Seville. Andalucia’s capital, located on the river Guadalquivir or Betis, is one of Spain’s ancient cities. According to legend, it was founded by the Greek hero Heracles, and was later ruled by the Phoenicians, Romans, and Moors. Besides this epic heritage, it is also famous as one of the birthplaces of Flamenco music, a center for bullfighting, and as the scene of the most passionate Spanish football derby, which is contested by the city’s two famous teams, Sevilla and Betis. Located 250km (155 mi) west of Granada, Sevilla can be reached in about 2 hours and 40 minutes.
- Ronda. A small town in Andalusia, Ronda is best known for its deep river gorge and Puente Nuevo, an impressive stone bridge that crosses it. Populated since the Neolithic Age and ruled by different empires, it is now a quiet and picturesque place with only 30,000 inhabitants. Located 180km (112 mi) southwest of Granada, Ronda can be reached by car in about two hours.
- Algarve. A beautiful and wild place, Portugal’s southernmost region is famous for its long stretches of Atlantic coastline, fun beach towns like Albufeira and Lagos, and impressive national parks. Less known, but equally impressive, is the region’s Roman and Moorish heritage and sparsely-populated highlands away from the coast. Traveling with a rental car, you’ll be able to see all of it. Faro, Algarve’s capital, is about 450km (279 mi) west of Granada and can be reached in under five hours by car. Since you’ll be crossing the border between Spain and Portugal, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
Car Rental Prices in Granada
- Convertibles - from $108 per day
- Station wagons - from $38 per day
- Large cars - from $53 per day
- Medium cars - from $42 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $85 per day
- Premium cars - from $92 per day
- Small cars - from $27 per day
- SUVs - from $58 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
How to get a cheap rental car in Granada:
- Follow these tips to land a great car rental deal in Granada:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Granada is the cheapest in January when renting a car is about 51% cheaper than the yearly average. Start your year with a visit to Andalusia!
Top 20 Cities near Granada
Madrid Car Rentals from $21.68 per day367.0 km / 228.0 miles away
Barcelona Car Rentals from $15.22 per day680.1 km / 422.6 miles away
Malaga Car Rentals from $6.25 per day85.9 km / 53.4 miles away
Alicante Car Rentals from $8.55 per day308.2 km / 191.5 miles away
Valencia Car Rentals from $11.04 per day384.7 km / 239.1 miles away
Seville Car Rentals from $16.88 per day189.0 km / 117.4 miles away
Bilbao Car Rentals from $13.41 per day683.7 km / 424.9 miles away
776.4 km / 482.5 miles away
Santander Car Rentals from $24.34 per day693.8 km / 431.1 miles away
Santiago de Compostela Car Rentals from $29.79 per day747.3 km / 464.4 miles away
Valladolid Car Rentals from $26.41 per day510.8 km / 317.4 miles away
A Coruña Car Rentals from $43.58 per day783.8 km / 487.0 miles away
Asturias Car Rentals from $29.12 per day734.3 km / 456.2 miles away
Zaragoza Car Rentals from $29.21 per day554.6 km / 344.6 miles away
Jerez Car Rentals from $18.75 per day208.9 km / 129.8 miles away
Vigo Car Rentals from $32.06 per day697.4 km / 433.3 miles away
Murcia Car Rentals from $9.16 per day243.2 km / 151.1 miles away
Almeria Car Rentals from $15.82 per day130.3 km / 81.0 miles away
Reus Car Rentals from $31.59 per day612.6 km / 380.6 miles away
Cadiz Car Rentals from $24.94 per day235.1 km / 146.1 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Granada
Granada Train Station Car Rentals from $24.94 per day1.6 km / 1.0 miles away
Granada Airport Car Rentals from $17.48 per day15.1 km / 9.4 miles away
Jaen Train Station Car Rentals from $25.02 per day69.8 km / 43.3 miles away
Malaga Port Car Rentals from $40.43 per day88.1 km / 54.8 miles away
Malaga Train Station Car Rentals from $22.17 per day89.2 km / 55.5 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $25.38 per day92.1 km / 57.2 miles away
Malaga Airport Car Rentals from $6.25 per day96.5 km / 60.0 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $16.84 per day100.2 km / 62.2 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $23.68 per day100.6 km / 62.5 miles away
Almeria Airport Car Rentals from $15.82 per day115.4 km / 71.7 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $23.68 per day136.2 km / 84.7 miles away
Gibraltar La Linea Airport Car Rentals from $46.51 per day192.0 km / 119.3 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $19.26 per day192.1 km / 119.4 miles away
Algeciras Ferry Port Car Rentals from $29.44 per day200.6 km / 124.6 miles away
Ciudad Real Train Station Car Rentals from $28.08 per day203.7 km / 126.6 miles away
Seville Airport Car Rentals from $16.88 per day204.1 km / 126.8 miles away
Seville Train Station Car Rentals from $24.94 per day211.0 km / 131.1 miles away
Jerez Airport Car Rentals from $18.75 per day223.1 km / 138.6 miles away
Murcia Airport Car Rentals from $9.16 per day229.5 km / 142.6 miles away
Cartagena Train Station Car Rentals from $24.22 per day237.5 km / 147.6 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Granada?
What’s the usual rental length in Granada?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Granada?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Ok Rent A Car||Renault Clio||4||2||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||Nissan Micra||4||2||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Citroen C1||3||1||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||Nissan Qashqai||5||2||SUVs|
|Ok Rent A Car||Nissan Qashqai||5||2||SUVs|
|SIXT||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Interrent||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 15 Suppliers in Granada in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.5 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email