Car Rental in Marrakesh
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Marrakesh?
Marrakesh is a great city to experience by car. Having the freedom of your own wheels will let you see this wide city and to visit attractions inside it and just outside the city borders, as well as to travel to other nearby destinations like the Atlas Mountains.
One-Way Car Rentals in Marrakesh
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Marrakesh and drop off in another city include:
- From Marrakech to Fez - 380 offers from US$ 35.85 per day
- From Marrakech to Tangier - 590 offers from US$ 35.85 per day
- From Marrakech to Rabat - 521 offers from US$ 23.54 per day
- From Marrakech to Agadir - 371 offers from US$ 34.48 per day
- From Marrakech to Casablanca - 623 offers from US$ 23.54 per day
Top ways to enter Marrakech
- Marrakesh Airport: One of the busiest in the country, Marrakesh Menara Airport handled 5.2 million travelers in 2018. The airport has flights by more than 20 airlines, including low-cost carriers like Ryanair and Vueling. Located just 8 km (5 mi) southwest of the city center, the airport can be reached in 15-20 minutes.
- Essaouira Airport: A small airport serving the coastal city of the same name, Essaouira Mogador has flights by five different airlines (although some are only active seasonally) that offer connections with France, Belgium, and the United States. Located 200 km (125 mi) west of Marrakesh, Essaouira Airport can be reached in about 2 hours and 50 minutes.
- Casablanca Airport: By far the busiest in the country, Casablanca Airport is the main hub of the national carrier Royal Air Maroc. Also known as Mohamed V Airport after the Moroccan monarch, it serves flights to destinations in North and Sub-Saharan Africa, Europe, the Middle East, East Asia, and North America. Located 220 km (137 mi) northwest of Marrakesh, the airport can be reached in 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- Agadir Airport: The largest in Southern Morocco, Agadir-Al Massira Airport handled 1.9 million travelers in 2018. The airport has flights by around 20 different airlines, including low-cost companies like easyJet, Eurowings, and Lauda. Agadir Airport is 260 km (160 mi) southwest of Marrakesh and takes three hours to reach.
Useful city facts
- Marrakesh enjoys a hot semi-arid climate. Summers are very dry and hot, with temperature often exceeding even 35 °C (95 °F). The winters, on the other hand, can get quite wet cool, especially in the months of December and January.
- Together with neighboring Safi and a number of other provinces, Marrakesh makes up the Marrakesh-Safi Region that is home to more than 4.5 million people.
Top destinations and activities
- Djemaa el-Fnaa. Perhaps the most famous bazaar in the whole Arab World, Djemaa el-Fnaa is, for many, the number one attraction in the whole of Morocco. Traditional singers and drummers, snake-charmers, and storytellers will fight for your attention, tattoo artists will be ready to give you a new henna right on the street, and local craftsmen will proudly show their carpets, lamps, and jewellery. It’s a place that’s not to be missed.
- Majorelle Gardens and the Berber Museum. Should you ever go tired of the crazy energy of Djemaa el-Fnaa, beautiful Majorelle Gardens that are famous for their wide variety of cactus species are a place for a walk, picnic, and long relaxed conversations with new-made friends. Next to the gardens you’ll find the Berber Museum where you can learn more about the traditions and culture of the native inhabitants of Marrakesh.
- Bahia Palace. Although relatively young - it was built only in the 19th century - Bahia Palace is arguably one of the most unique buildings in Marrakesh. Surrounded by gardens of banana flowers and other plants and full of beautiful rooms and courtyards, it is a perfect place to explore and relax in.
Traffic and parking tips
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 120 km/h on motorways (autoroutes), 100 km/h on roads outside urban cities that are not motorways, and 60 km/h within populated areas.
- Even inside some big cities, and in the most smaller towns and villages, there are no special lanes for cyclists or sometimes even pavements for pedestrians. In those cases, you’ll be sharing a road with them, so be extra careful.
- Road signs are written in both Arabic and French. If you don’t know either of these languages, it’s good to learn at least the main terms in one of them before renting a car.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.00% for both experienced and novice drivers. Drunk driving can lead to large fines and even jail time or deportation.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The nation-wide emergency police number is 19 and the nation-wide ambulance and fire safety department number is 15.
A toll needs to be paid for using most of Morocco’s motorways or autoroutes. All of the toll roads in Morocco are administered by the state-owned company Autoroutes du Maroc (ADM).
Morocco uses a “closed system” for its toll roads, meaning that there is a toll booth both at the entrance and the exit of the toll road. You pay either by cash or by credit card (although some toll points might only accept cash so it’s good to have some available at all times). Make sure to keep any proof that you have paid for the toll road as police checks are frequent and fines can be hefty. The prices for using the toll roads are generally quite low.
Most of the toll roads connect the largest cities of the country. Oftentimes you can opt to use regional roads instead - while traveling along those will be much slower, the views are usually much more scenic.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Amizmiz. Located in the nearby High Atlas Mountains, the small town of Amizmiz hosts one of the largest souks in the region every Tuesday, but even if you come on another day, it is still a great place to appreciate the local atmosphere, meet the locals, and enjoy the views of the nearby peaks.
- Ourika Valley. Just 40 minutes drive from Marrakesh, beautiful Ourika Valley has become a bit touristy during the last few years, but should still be on anyone’s list thanks to its waterfalls, long hiking paths, and different Argan oil products made by local women.
- Oukaimeden. Located more than 3000 meters (9840 feet) above the sea level, Oukaimeden is arguably the best ski resort in the whole North Africa. Very near is Jebel Toubkal, the highest peak in the Atlas Mountains.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car types in Morocco are Economy, Mini, and Intermediate. Most national highways are in great shape and fit for vehicle of any size, but if you plan to drive in the nearby Atlas Mountains, getting a 4x4 vehicle can be a good idea. The most popular rental cars in Morocco are the Hyundai i10, the Dacia Logan, and the Renault Clio.
- Essaouira. This charming beach city is just three hours drive west of Marrakesh. Local street performers will claim to be sons of Jimi Hendrix (who once indeed favored visiting the place) while cooks of local seafood will leave you breathless.
- Taghazout. A serene beach town and a surfer’s paradise, cozy Taghazout (near the much larger city of Agadir) offers the possibility to hit the waves year-round. From here, it’s also easy to visit the nearby Paradise Valley with its gorges and waterfalls.
- Ouarzazate. Located east of Marrakesh and high in the mountains, Ouarzazate is similar to Marrakesh in some ways, but is more tranquil and traditional. The dry desert landscapes that surround it will make you feel like you’re on another planet.
Car Rental Prices in Marrakesh
- Station wagons - from $44 per day
- Large cars - from $62 per day
- Medium cars - from $33 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $82 per day
- Premium cars - from $165 per day
- Small cars - from $28 per day
- SUVs - from $114 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
These are the things to keep in mind to get a good rental car deal in Marrakesh:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Marrakesh is the cheapest in October when renting a car is about 45% cheaper than the yearly average and about 67% cheaper than renting a car in May.
Top 11 Cities near Marrakech
Casablanca Car Rentals from $10.56 per day201.1 km / 124.9 miles away
Tangier Car Rentals from $11.71 per day507.3 km / 315.2 miles away
Rabat Car Rentals from $8.25 per day296.8 km / 184.4 miles away
Agadir Car Rentals from $10.56 per day201.2 km / 125.0 miles away
Fez Car Rentals from $10.57 per day389.9 km / 242.3 miles away
Oujda Car Rentals from $13.58 per day666.5 km / 414.2 miles away
Nador Car Rentals from $15.82 per day595.7 km / 370.2 miles away
Essaouira Car Rentals from $13.80 per day162.0 km / 100.7 miles away
Ouarzazate Car Rentals from $15.82 per day125.7 km / 78.1 miles away
Kenitra Car Rentals from $25.01 per day323.6 km / 201.1 miles away
Mohammedia Car Rentals from $55.02 per day240.6 km / 149.5 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Marrakech
Marrakesh Agdal Car Rentals from $23.43 per day
Marrakesh Airport Car Rentals from $7.37 per day4.8 km / 3.0 miles away
Marrakech Train Station Car Rentals from $13.29 per day5.0 km / 3.1 miles away
Ouarzazate Airport Car Rentals from $15.82 per day125.7 km / 78.1 miles away
Essaouira Airport Car Rentals from $13.80 per day162.0 km / 100.7 miles away
Agadir Airport Car Rentals from $7.37 per day195.8 km / 121.7 miles away
Casablanca Airport Mohammed V Car Rentals from $7.37 per day200.8 km / 124.8 miles away
Casablanca Nouaceur Car Rentals from $10.56 per day201.1 km / 124.9 miles away
Casablanca Mowenpick Hotel Car Rentals from $57.08 per day223.9 km / 139.1 miles away
Casablanca Hotel Club Val d'Anfa Car Rentals from $57.08 per day224.1 km / 139.2 miles away
Casa-Voyageurs Train Station Car Rentals from $14.00 per day225.2 km / 139.9 miles away
Casablanca Hotel Sofitel Car Rentals from $57.08 per day225.6 km / 140.2 miles away
Casablanca Hotel Novotel Car Rentals from $57.08 per day225.7 km / 140.2 miles away
Casa-Port Train Station Car Rentals from $7.71 per day225.9 km / 140.3 miles away
Rabat The View Hotel Car Rentals from $14.27 per day282.7 km / 175.7 miles away
Rabat Hotel Sofitel Jardin des Roses Car Rentals from $14.27 per day287.4 km / 178.6 miles away
Rabat Agdal Ryad Car Rentals from $14.27 per day287.4 km / 178.6 miles away
Agdal Train Station Car Rentals from $8.50 per day288.0 km / 179.0 miles away
Le Pietri Urban Hotel Car Rentals from $10.02 per day290.3 km / 180.4 miles away
Theatre National Mohammed V Car Rentals from $10.02 per day290.6 km / 180.6 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Marrakesh?
What’s the usual rental length in Marrakesh?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Marrakesh?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|LocationAuto||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|
|DiRent||Dacia Logan||4||2||Small cars|
|DiRent||Renault Clio||5||1||Small cars|
|LocationAuto||Suzuki Celerio||4||1||Small cars|
|LocationAuto||Chevrolet Spark||5||1||Small cars|
|Autounion||Citroen C3||5||1||Small cars|
|LocationAuto||Peugeot 107||5||1||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Hyundai i10||3||1||Small cars|
|WANALOU||Renault Clio||4||2||Small cars|