Car Rental in Split
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Split?
Split is a great place to visit by car. Not only you’ll get to explore its historic, fun city and its surrounding beaches, you’ll also have the freedom to travel to all of the landmarks of the surrounding Dalmatia region.
One-Way Car Rentals in Split
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Split and drop off in another city include:
- From Split to Dubrovnik - 807 offers from 16.30 USD per day
- From Split to Zadar - 272 offers from 21.08 USD per day
- From Split to Zagreb - 839 offers from 18.36 USD per day
- From Split to Pula - 212 offers from 21.08 USD per day
- From Split to Rijeka - 113 offers from 21.08 USD per day
Top ways to enter Split
- Split Airport. Also known as Split-Resnik, the second-busiest airport in the country served 3.1 million travelers in 2018. The airport is especially active during the summer months when it hosts flights by more than 30 different airlines. Located 24 km (15 miles) northwest of the city center, the airport can be reached in about 20 minutes by car.
- Zadar Airport. Another international airport on the Dalmatian coast that’s mainly active during the summer months, Zadar Airport handled just over 600,000 travelers in 2018. The airport is popular with low-cost carriers like Ryanair, easyJet, and Vueling. Located 152 km (94 miles) northwest of Split, the airport can be reached in about 90 minutes.
- Dubrovnik Airport. Serving the picturesque coastal city of the same name, Dubrovnik Airport is near Croatia’s borders with Montenegro and Bosnia and Herzegovina. During the last decade, the airport has been growing at a fast pace - nowadays, it offers flights not only to and from European destinations, but also the Middle East and the United States. Located 245 km (152 miles) southeast of Split, Dubrovnik Airport can be reached in about 3 hours and 20 minutes, with most of the road taking you right along the coast.
- Zagreb Airport. Serving the capital of Croatia, Zagreb Franjo Tuđman Airport is the busiest in the country. Unlike the airports serving the country’s coastal destinations, most flights served by Zagreb Airport are active year-round. Located 418 km (260 mi) north of Split, Zagreb Airport can be reached in about four hours.
- By sea. If you’re arriving in Split by ferry, you can conveniently pick up a rental car at Split Aci Marina Port. During the summer and early autumn months, there are frequent ferry services connecting Split with other Croatian coastal destinations, Croatian islands, and some cities in Italy. The services are much more limited during the colder months of the year, so it’s important to look up the schedule in advance. Some ferry companies permit bringing a rental car on deck while others do not; regardless, you should always ask your rental car provider if they also permit it.
Useful city facts
- The second biggest city in Croatia, Split is the capital of Split-Dalmatia County. Nearly 350,000 people live in the city’s larger metropolitan area.
- Founded by Greeks, the city has also been ruled by Romans, Hungarian, Venetians, and the French during different times of its varied history.
Top destinations and activities
- St. Duje's cathedral. First built during the Roman times as the emperor Diocletian’s mausoleum and later remade into a Catholic cathedral, St. Duje’s has a beautiful mixture of both architectural styles. Remember to climb to its stunning belltower as you’ll get the best city views anywhere in Split from there.
- Diocletian’s Palace. Another great remnant of Diocletian’s reign in ancient Split, this retirement complex has changed very little throughout the ages. Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, it can be found at the very heart of the Split Old Town. On a more modern note, Game of Thrones fans will recognize it as the place where dragons were kept in Meereen.
- The Egyptian sphinxes. Brought to Split almost 2000 years ago from the other coast of Mediterranean, these two sphinxes are some of the most unique Egyptian artefacts in Europe. You’ll find one of them in Peristil square while the other is in front of Jupiter’s temple.
Traffic and parking tips
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 130 km/h on motorways, 110 km/h on main highways, 90 km/h on most other roads, and 50 km/h in populated and built-up areas.
- During autumn and spring (from October to March) you need to drive with your headlights on, even during the day.
- If you’re driving with a foreign car, it needs to have a nationality sticker on the back. This is important if you’re arriving in Croatia by car from a neighboring country, especially Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina or Serbia that are not part of the European Union.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers and drivers under the age of 24. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines, an EU-wide licence ban, or even imprisonment.
- Gas stations are usually open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., although many will work until 10:00 p.m. during summer.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There’s a toll to be paid for using most Croatian motorways. There are two types of tolls in Croatia, the open ones and the closed ones. On open toll motorways, which are mostly tunnels, bridges, and short stretches of highway, the driver pays when arriving at the road. On closed toll motorways, the driver pays when arriving at the road and is given a receipt for their payment that shows where they entered the toll road. They then need to present the receipt when leaving the toll road. If you lose the receipt, you’ll need to once again for the maximum length of the toll road. If your receipt is more than 24 hours old, for example, because you stay for the night somewhere along the toll road, you’ll need to provide a valid explanation of the situation at the exit toll booth.
The payment for the toll road can be done either in cash or by credit card. You can also purchase a smart card or an expiring seasonal smart card that will include a 10% discount. Both types of smart cards are non-refundable. Some rental cars are equipped with an electronic toll responder the price of which is usually included in the rental price. Do ask your car rental provider about it in advance. Find out more about the toll roads in Croatia on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Salona. An ancient Roman colony and once one of the greatest cities of that Empire, Salona still retains a well-preserved amphitheater, basilica, and other landmarks from the Roman times. From Split, Salona can be reached in less than 20 minutes by car.
- Zadar. Just 110 km (68 mi) from Split, Zadar is another gem of a town along Croatia’s Adriatic coast. Its most famous attraction is the Sea Organ, a unique instrument that uses wind and waves to create music. There are also many opportunities for water sports or simply a relaxing day on great beaches like Kolovare, Borik, and Vitrenjak.
- Plitvice Lakes National Park. Divided into upper and lower lakes, Plitvice is one of the most attractive nature areas in Croatia. It is not allowed to swim in the lakes because of the many unique flora and fauna species that live here, but it’s still great to go a longer hike or a boat trip to enjoy this serene place.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Croatia is the VW Polo, followed by the Opel Corsa and the Skoda Fabia. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
The rest of Dalmatia. Drive to see Dubrovnik, perhaps the most picturesque little town in Europe, but also make time to explore the rest of this beautiful region and its fishing villages, homestays, islands, and wildlife areas.
Istria. Just as welcoming as Dalmatia, but unique and proud thanks to its history and local character, the Istria peninsula is a great beach, culture, and culinary destination.
Zagreb. Croatia’s inland capital is just as interesting, but very different from the country’s south in terms of history, architecture, and atmosphere. You really should visit them both to be able to tell you’ve seen all of Croatia.
Car Rental Prices in Split
- Station wagons - from $37 per day
- Large cars - from $58 per day
- Medium cars - from $28 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $64 per day
- Premium cars - from $115 per day
- Small cars - from $19 per day
- SUVs - from $61 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are things you can do to get a good rental car deal in Split:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Zagreb is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 80% cheaper renting a car in August, the most expensive month.
Top 14 Cities near Split
Zagreb Car Rentals from $17.38 per day253.3 km / 157.4 miles away
Dubrovnik Car Rentals from $5.12 per day193.5 km / 120.2 miles away
Zadar Car Rentals from $8.08 per day99.2 km / 61.6 miles away
Pula Car Rentals from $7.81 per day241.9 km / 150.3 miles away
Rijeka Car Rentals from $7.81 per day231.6 km / 143.9 miles away
Osijek Car Rentals from $18.81 per day292.3 km / 181.6 miles away
Trogir Car Rentals from $11.13 per day4.8 km / 3.0 miles away
Sibenik Car Rentals from $11.13 per day39.0 km / 24.2 miles away
Porec Car Rentals from $18.81 per day284.9 km / 177.0 miles away
Rovinj Car Rentals from $9.24 per day271.3 km / 168.6 miles away
Primošten Car Rentals from $22.09 per day30.6 km / 19.0 miles away
Brač Car Rentals from $49.61 per day40.4 km / 25.1 miles away
Biograd Car Rentals from $22.09 per day81.9 km / 50.9 miles away
Opatija Car Rentals from $18.81 per day367.8 km / 228.6 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Split
Downtown Car Rentals from $8.56 per day
Split Port Car Rentals from $22.68 per day0.4 km / 0.3 miles away
Split Airport Car Rentals from $5.12 per day12.5 km / 7.8 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $11.13 per day16.2 km / 10.1 miles away
Brač Downtown Car Rentals from $49.61 per day28.9 km / 18.0 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $22.09 per day43.1 km / 26.8 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $11.13 per day51.1 km / 31.8 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $22.09 per day94.0 km / 58.4 miles away
Zadar Airport Car Rentals from $8.08 per day110.8 km / 68.9 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $18.81 per day117.3 km / 72.9 miles away
Car Rentals from $48.07 per day119.2 km / 74.0 miles away
Dubrovnik Port Car Rentals from $22.68 per day163.1 km / 101.3 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $5.64 per day163.7 km / 101.7 miles away
Dubrovnik Airport Car Rentals from $5.12 per day181.5 km / 112.8 miles away
Rijeka Airport Car Rentals from $7.81 per day241.8 km / 150.2 miles away
Zagreb Airport Car Rentals from $5.12 per day250.6 km / 155.7 miles away
Pula Airport Car Rentals from $7.81 per day253.6 km / 157.6 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $8.70 per day256.7 km / 159.5 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $8.95 per day256.9 km / 159.7 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $7.38 per day258.0 km / 160.3 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Split?
What’s the usual rental length in Split?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Split?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Goldcar||Renault Clio||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Citroen C1||3||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Citroen C3||5||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||Suzuki Swift||4||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Opel Corsa||2||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Kia Ceed||5||2||Medium cars|
|AddCar||Suzuki Baleno||5||2||Medium cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 20 Suppliers in Split in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.5 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email