Car Rental in Osijek
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Osijek?
Osijek is a great city to explore. Very different in atmosphere than destinations on the Croatian coastline, the city mixes well-preserved Central European architecture and great cuisine with proximity to a tranquil nature. With a rental car, you can see Osijek first, then explore the rest of the region of Slavonia - or, if your rental car provider permits it, pop over the border to one of Croatia’s neighbors: Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, or Slovenia.
Top ways to enter Osijek
- Osijek Airport: One of the smallest international airports in Croatia, as of December 2019 it is served by three airlines, two of which only operate seasonally. The airport provides a number of domestic connections as well as flights to and from Cologne and Stuttgart in Germany. Located 16km (10 miles) southeast of the city center, the airport can be reached in about 20 minutes.
- Zagreb Airport: The busiest in the country, the airport serving the Croatian capital handled 3.4 million travelers in 2018. Also known as Franjo Tuđman Airport, it is the main hub for Croatia Airlines and has flights by another 20 carriers. Located 275km (171 miles) west of Osijek, the airport can be reached in about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Rijeka Airport: Located on the Adriatic coast in the northwestern part of the country, Rijeka Airport handled about 180,000 travelers in 2018. Like other coastal airports in Croatia, it is mainly active during the summer months when more than ten different airlines fly to and from Rijeka. Located 440km (270 miles) from Osijek, Rijeka Airport can be reached in about four hours.
- Budapest Airport: Serving the capital of Hungary and with nearly 15 million travelers handled in 2018, Budapest Airport is one of the busiest in the region. A large hub for the low-cost carrier Wizz Air, it also has flights by around 30 different airlines and provides connections with countries in Europe, the Middle East, North Africa, North America, and East Asia. Located 280km (174 miles) north of Osijek, the airport can be reached in three hours. To travel between Hungary and Croatia, you’ll have to cross an international border, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
- Belgrade Airport: Serving the capital of neighboring Serbia, Nikola Tesla Belgrade Airport handled more than five million travelers in 2018. The airport has flights by around 20 different airlines, including low-cost carriers Ryanair, Wizz Air, Transavia, and easyJet. Located 160km (100 miles) west of Osijek, the airport can be reached in 2 hours and 20 minutes. As with Budapest, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit you crossing the border (many won’t, but you can also travel by public transportation and pick up a rental car upon arriving in Osijek). Also, check to see if you need a visa to enter either country - unlike Croatia and Hungary, Serbia is not a member of the European Union and has a different visa policy.
Useful city facts
- Located relatively far from the sea coast, Osijek has a humid continental climate with warm summers, cold winters, and four distinct seasons. The average high temperature is 27°C (82°F) in July and August, the warmest months, and 3°C (40°F) in January, the coldest. June is by far the rainiest month while February is the driest. Osijek experiences significant snowfall every winter.
- Inhabited for millennia, Osijek was home to ancient Illyrian and Celtic tribes and was later a part of the Roman Empire. Briefly held by the Goths, Avars, and Ottomans, the city became part of the Habsburg Empire in 1687 and remained a part of it until the First World War. The Habsburg legacy is responsible for much of Osijek’s architectural style and explains why it looks similar to many cities in countries like Austria and Hungary.
Top destinations and activities
- Tvrđa. The baroque old town is arguably Osijek’s main tourist attraction. Centered around a star fort that was built during the Habsburg era, the old town is home to the impressive Holy Trinity square, a number of interesting museums, and picturesque labyrinthine side streets.
- Osijek Promenade. Following the River Drava on the banks of which Osijek is located, the promenade is one of the nicest places in the city. The marina is surrounded by many public parks and gardens, and in summer many cafes open right on the riverbank; if you’re visiting in winter, there are also many restaurants that offer a river view.
- Cathedral of St Peter and St Paul. With a spire that’s 94 m (308 ft) high, this neo-Gothic Catholic church is the tallest in Croatia. Built at the end of the 19th century, it has many beautiful frescoes and ceiling paintings that make it as beautiful from inside as it is from outside. The masses continue to be held inside the church, but it is also open for tourists.
Traffic and parking tips
- In Croatia, driving takes place on the right-hand side of the road.
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 130km/h on motorways, 110km/h on main highways, 90km/h on most other roads, and 50km/h in populated and built-up areas.
- During autumn, winter, and spring (from October to March) you need to drive with your headlights on, even during the day.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced and 0.00% for novice drivers and drivers under the age of 24. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines, an EU-wide license ban, or even imprisonment.
- Gas stations are usually open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., although many stay open until 10:00 p.m. during summer.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- You need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times when you are driving.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There’s a toll to be paid for using most Croatian motorways. Croatia uses both open and closed systems. On open toll motorways, which are mostly tunnels, bridges, and short stretches of highway, the driver pays when at the beginning of the road. On closed toll motorways, the driver takes a receipt upon entrance to the road and is given a receipt for their payment that shows where they entered the toll road. They then need to present the receipt when exiting the toll road and pay for the distance traveled. If you lose the receipt, you’ll need to pay for the maximum length of the toll road.
The payment for the toll roads can be made either in cash or by credit card. You can also purchase a smart card or a seasonal smart card which includes a 10% discount. Both types of smart cards are non-refundable. Some rental cars are equipped with an electronic toll transponder, the price of which is usually included in the rental price. Ask your car rental provider about it in advance. Find out more about the toll roads in Croatia on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Kopački Rit. Located near the confluence of the Drava and Danube Rivers, Kopački Rit is one of the largest wetlands nature preserves in Europe. The protected area is crisscrossed by wooden paths, and if you’re lucky, you might spot a roe deer, wildcat, white-tailed eagle, or one of the other wildlife species that inhabit it. Located just 12km (7 miles) northeast of Osijek, Kopački Rit can be reached in about 15 minutes.
- Novi Sad. The capital of Vojvodina Province in neighboring Serbia, Novi Sad is one of the most beautiful cities in the Balkans. Travelers love the Petrovaradin fortress, Name of Mary Church, Danube Park, and Novi Sad synagogue. Located just 105km (65 miles) east of Osijek, Novi Sad can be reached in less than two hours. Ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit you crossing the border. Also, check to see if you need a visa to enter Serbia - unlike Croatia, the country is not a member of the Schengen Area.
- Lake Balaton. Sometimes called the Hungarian Sea, Lake Balaton is one of the most picturesque lakes in Europe. The lake has many stunning beaches and is surrounded by quaint little villages and protected nature. Siofok, the unofficial capital of Lake Balaton, is Hungary’s most popular resort town and also has plenty of art and architecture to enjoy. Located 210km (130 miles) northwest of Osijek, Lake Balaton can be reached in less than three hours. As with Serbia, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit crossing the border. You won’t need a visa, though - like Croatia, Hungary is a member of the Schengen Area.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Osijek is the Volkswagen Polo, although many travelers also go for the Audi A3 and the Opel Astra. The most popular rental car types are compact, economy, and standard.
- Zagreb. Although a modern and innovative city, the capital of Croatia lives and breathes fascinating history. Zagreb Cathedral, St. Mark’s Square, and the Old Town Gate are just some of the historical landmarks of the city. Zagreb also has great museums like the fascinating Mimara Museum which houses famous works of European artists, the Archaeology Museum where visitors can learn about Croatia’s long history, and the quirky Museum of Broken Relationships. Located 280km (174 miles) west of Osijek, Zagreb can be reached in 2 hours and 40 minutes.
- Adriatic coast. Croatia’s number one tourist attraction, the country’s 1,770km (1,100 miles) long coastline is indeed awesome to visit. The Croatian coast includes not only amazing beaches, but also tranquil islands and historic towns and cities like Dubrovnik, Split, Pula, and Rijeka. The latter, located 440km (273 miles) west of Osijek, can be reached in four hours - from here, you can either travel south to the historic coastal region of Dalmatia or explore the Istria Peninsula.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina. Though Bosnia’s reputation continues to suffer because of the harrowing war the country experienced in the 1990s, more and more tourists are discovering that it’s a safe and fascinating country to visit. The capital, Sarajevo, has plenty of landmarks and is unlike any other city in Europe; however, the country’s number one attraction is its beautiful, mountainous nature. Sarajevo is 260km (161 miles) south of Osijek and can be reached in 4 hours and 30 minutes. To go from Croatia to Bosnia and Herzegovina, you’ll have to cross the international border between the two countries, so make sure your rental car provider permits it (many won’t, so you can travel by public transportation and pick up a new rental car after arriving in Bosnia and Herzegovina). Also, check to see if you need a visa - unlike Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina is not a member of the Schengen Area.
Car Rental Prices in Osijek
- Station wagons - from $47 per day
- Large cars - from $51 per day
- Medium cars - from $33 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $80 per day
- Premium cars - from $97 per day
- Small cars - from $23 per day
- SUVs - from $52 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Land a cheap rental car in Osijek by following these simple tips:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Osijek is the cheapest in June when renting a car is about 64% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 15 Cities near Osijek
Split Car Rentals from $23.54 per day287.0 km / 178.3 miles away
Zagreb Car Rentals from $5.28 per day203.6 km / 126.5 miles away
325.4 km / 202.2 miles away
Zadar Car Rentals from $6.86 per day314.3 km / 195.3 miles away
Pula Car Rentals from $6.86 per day385.7 km / 239.6 miles away
Rijeka Car Rentals from $7.71 per day322.6 km / 200.5 miles away
Trogir Car Rentals from $23.54 per day297.0 km / 184.5 miles away
Porec Car Rentals from $23.54 per day397.5 km / 247.0 miles away
Rovinj Car Rentals from $16.66 per day395.8 km / 246.0 miles away
Opatija Car Rentals from $10.05 per day341.4 km / 212.1 miles away
Sibenik Car Rentals from $6.86 per day299.0 km / 185.8 miles away
Biograd Car Rentals from $6.86 per day312.1 km / 193.9 miles away
Primošten Car Rentals from $6.86 per day308.5 km / 191.7 miles away
Brač Car Rentals from $54.33 per day293.8 km / 182.5 miles away
Vela Luka Car Rentals from $12.38 per day327.7 km / 203.6 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Osijek
Osijek Airport Car Rentals from $17.33 per day14.6 km / 9.1 miles away
Zagreb Airport Car Rentals from $5.28 per day203.6 km / 126.5 miles away
Zagreb Hotel Slisko Car Rentals from $22.70 per day209.8 km / 130.3 miles away
Zagreb Train Station Car Rentals from $23.54 per day211.3 km / 131.3 miles away
Zagreb Esplanade Hotel Car Rentals from $13.11 per day211.5 km / 131.4 miles away
Zagreb Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $23.54 per day211.5 km / 131.4 miles away
Zagreb, Westin Hotel Car Rentals from $13.60 per day212.2 km / 131.9 miles away
Panorama Zagreb Hotel Car Rentals from $17.33 per day213.3 km / 132.5 miles away
Split Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $23.54 per day287.0 km / 178.3 miles away
Split Port Car Rentals from $23.54 per day288.4 km / 179.2 miles away
Split Airport Car Rentals from $3.78 per day292.6 km / 181.8 miles away
Zadar Airport Car Rentals from $6.86 per day307.6 km / 191.1 miles away
Zadar Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $23.54 per day313.0 km / 194.5 miles away
Zadar Port Car Rentals from $6.86 per day315.3 km / 195.9 miles away
Rijeka Airport Car Rentals from $7.71 per day322.6 km / 200.5 miles away
Dubrovnik Aci Marina Car Rentals from $23.54 per day323.4 km / 201.0 miles away
Dubrovnik Port Car Rentals from $23.54 per day325.2 km / 202.1 miles away
Dubrovnik Delivery within city limits Car Rentals from $23.54 per day326.0 km / 202.6 miles away
Hilton Imperial Dubrovnik Hotel Car Rentals from $23.54 per day326.8 km / 203.0 miles away
Rijeka Train Station Car Rentals from $13.60 per day332.0 km / 206.3 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Osijek?
What’s the usual rental length in Osijek?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Osijek?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|SIXT||Opel Vivaro 8+1||5||3||People Carriers/Vans|