Car Rental in Rijeka
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Rijeka?
Rijeka is a great place to visit. Located on Kvarner Bay, it is as great a beach destination as more famous Croatian coastal hubs like Dubrovnik or Split. Rijeka is also a sophisticated city and has plenty of arts, architecture, and culture for a traveler to enjoy. After seeing Rijeka, you can drive to see the rest of coastal Croatia, explore into the interior, or, if your rental car provider permits it, even pop over the border to visit Slovenia or nearby Italy.
One-Way Car Rentals in Rijeka
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Rijeka and drop off in another city include:
- From Rijeka to Dubrovnik - 130 offers from US$ 24.28 per day
- From Rijeka to Verona - 32 offers from US$ 66.73 per day
- From Rijeka to Split - 117 offers from US$ 22.58 per day
- From Rijeka to Pula - 117 offers from US$ 22.58 per day
Top ways to enter Rijeka
- Rijeka Airport: A small international airport, Zračna luka Rijeka is especially active during the summer months when it has flights by more than 10 airlines. During the winter, the airport hosts some domestic routes as well as flights to and from Munich and Dusseldorf in Germany. Situated on the nearby island of Krk, Rijeka Airport is connected to the mainland by a bridge. About 26km (16 miles) southeast of Rijeka city center, it can be reached in about 30 minutes.
- Pula Airport: Another small coastal airport, it handled just over 700,000 travelers in 2018. Serving the capital city of the Istria region, Pula Airport has flights by more than 20 different airlines during the summer months, including low-cost carriers like Transavia, easyJet, and Ryanair. Located 105km (65 miles) southwest of Rijeka, Pula Airport can be reached in about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Zagreb Airport: Serving Croatia’s capital, Zagreb Franjo Tuđman is the busiest in the country and handled 3.3 million travelers in 2018. The airport is the main hub of the national carrier Croatia Airlines and also has flights by about 20 other airlines. Zagreb Airport is 170km (105 miles) northeast of Rijeka and can be reached in 1 hour and 50 minutes.
- Zadar Airport: Located in the nearby Dalmatian region, Zadar Airport handled 600,000 travelers in 2018. The airport is a large hub for the Austrian low-cost carrier Lauda and is popular with a number of other low-cost airlines. Located 295km (183 miles) southeast of Rijeka, Zadar Airport can be reached in about three hours.
- Ljubljana Airport: The largest in neighboring Slovenia, Ljubljana Jože Pučnik Airport handled 1.8 million travelers in 2018. The airport has flights by around 15 different airlines, providing connections with destinations all over Europe. Located just 135km (84 miles) north of Rijeka, Ljubljana Airport can be reached in two hours. You’ll have to cross an international border to travel from Slovenia to Croatia, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
- By rail: If you arrive in Rijeka by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Rijeka’s Main Railway Station.
Useful city facts
- Located on the Adriatic coast, Rijeka has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters. The average high temperature is 28°C (83°F) in July, the warmest month, and 9°C (48°F) in December, the coldest. Rijeka has rather high precipitation, with an especial increase every October and November. July is the least rainy month.
- The third-largest city in Croatia, Rijeka has often been known as a hub of culture, art, and literature. The city is home to plenty of museums, cultural centers, theaters, and music venues. This sophistication has been rewarded by the city receiving the title of the European Capital of Culture in 2020 (it shares the honor with Galway in the Republic of Ireland). Throughout the year, Rijeka will host plenty of festivals and artistic performances which makes 2020 an especially good time to visit the city.
Top destinations and activities
- Trsat Castle. Located in the Rijeka neighborhood of the same name, the Trsat Castle is one of the most impressive buildings in the city. Standing on the location of an ancient Illyrian and Roman fortress, it was built in the 13th century and has been ruled by the Venetians and Habsburgs. Significantly renovated a number of times, it has always remained the symbol of the city.
- Natural History Museum. The Adriatic Sea has many fun beach locations like Rijeka located on its shores, but it is also home to a fascinating marine ecosystem. Visitors of the museum can learn about the different species of fish, rays, avians, and amphibians who used to inhabit the sea or continue to do so to this day. Another similarly interesting place to visit is the Maritime and Historical Museum of the Croatian Littoral which is more focused on human activity in the Adriatic.
- Kantrida Pools. Most public swimming pools wouldn’t make a list of the city's main attractions, especially in a place that has many beautiful natural beaches like Rijeka. However, Kantrida is well worth making an exception as the five beautiful pools are located at an elevation that offers amazing views of the Adriatic and a number of nearby islands.
Traffic and parking tips
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 130km/h on motorways, 110km/h on main highways, 90km/h on most other roads, and 50km/h in populated and built-up areas.
- During autumn and spring (from October to March) you need to drive with your headlights on, even during the day.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers and drivers under the age of 24. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines, an EU-wide license ban, or even imprisonment.
- Gas stations are usually open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., although many stay open until 10 p.m. during summer.
- The car’s registration and insurance documents must be in it at all times.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
A toll must be paid for using most Croatian motorways. Croatia uses both open and closed systems. On open toll motorways, which are mostly tunnels, bridges, and short stretches of highway, the driver pays when at the beginning of the road. On closed toll motorways, the driver takes a receipt upon entrance to the road and is given a receipt for their payment that shows where they entered the toll road. They then need to present the receipt when exiting the toll road and pay for the distance traveled. If you lose the receipt, you’ll need to pay for the maximum length of the toll road.
The payment for the toll roads can be made either in cash or by credit card. You can also purchase a smart card or a seasonal smart card which includes a 10% discount. Both types of smart cards are non-refundable. Some rental cars are equipped with an electronic toll transponder, the price of which is usually included in the rental price. Ask your car rental provider about it in advance. Find out more about the toll roads in Croatia on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Beaches. Although not as popular a coastal destination as Split or Dubrovnik, Rijeka has many impressive beaches. Some of the nicest ones include Ploče Beach which is right by the Kantrida pools, Preluk Beach which is a hub for water sports, and the picturesque Glavonovo Beach. With a rental car, you can easily travel further up or down the coast to find unique beaches on your own.
- Opatija. Part of an area sometimes known as Liburnian Riviera, the small town of Opatija is one of the poshest beach destinations in Croatia. The city is home to many beautiful beaches, quality restaurants, and hotels that are right on the coast. The beautiful Villa Angiolina is also very much worth a visit. Located 16km (10 miles) west of Rijeka, Opatija can be reached in about 25 minutes.
- Risnjak National Park. A small, but wild nature area, Risnjak is one of the most beautiful national parks in Croatia. Although located very close to the Adriatic Sea, the area is mountainous and has many high peaks, steep valleys, and swift rivers. The national park is home to species of wildlife like the Eurasian eagle-owl, chamois, red deer, and brown bear. Located about 50km (31 miles) northeast of Rijeka, the national park can be reached in 45 minutes.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Rijeka is the Skoda Fabia, although many travelers also go for the Toyota Auris and the Volkswagen Golf. The most popular rental car types are economy, compact, and mini.
For more about traveling around Croatia with a rental car, check out our complete guide.
- Istria. A large peninsula just west of Rijeka, Istria is home to a unique culture that is a blend of Croatian, Italian and other influences. The region is home to impressive Roman architecture, ancient churches, quaint coastal villages, and even dinosaur footprints. Pula, the largest city and capital of Istria, is 110km (68 miles) from Rijeka and takes about 90 minutes to reach.
- Dalmatia. The main reason travelers come to Croatia is the coastal region of Dalmatia as it is a true beach paradise. Though many impressive coastal spots can be found on the Dalmatian mainland, islands such as Hvar and Mljet are arguably even more idyllic. Dalmatia is also home to vast unspoiled nature, beautiful architecture, and delicious cuisine. Split, the largest city of the region, is 415km (258 miles) southeast of Rijeka and can be reached in about four hours, with many other Dalmatian regions lying even closer.
- Slovenia. Croatia’s neighboring country might not have the same beach appeal - its coastline is only 46km (28 miles) long - but Slovenia more than makes up for it with stunning Alpine peaks, picturesque towns like Bled, and its fun and sophisticated capital, Ljubljana. Located only 115km (71 miles) north of Rijeka, Ljubljana can be reached in less than two hours, and you can easily explore the rest of the country from there. You’ll have to cross an international border to travel between Croatia and Slovenia, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
Car Rental Prices in Rijeka
- Station wagons - from $45 per day
- Large cars - from $70 per day
- Medium cars - from $31 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $72 per day
- Small cars - from $22 per day
- SUVs - from $54 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Try these tips to land a great rental car in Croatia:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Rijeka is the cheapest in May when renting a car is about 74% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 14 Cities near Rijeka
Zagreb Car Rentals from $21.75 per day131.2 km / 81.5 miles away
263.7 km / 163.9 miles away
418.6 km / 260.1 miles away
Pula Car Rentals from $6.90 per day69.1 km / 42.9 miles away
Zadar Car Rentals from $6.90 per day148.5 km / 92.3 miles away
Osijek Car Rentals from $16.95 per day341.7 km / 212.3 miles away
Trogir Car Rentals from $7.80 per day247.3 km / 153.7 miles away
Rovinj Car Rentals from $12.62 per day67.2 km / 41.7 miles away
Porec Car Rentals from $19.07 per day66.7 km / 41.5 miles away
Biograd Car Rentals from $6.90 per day173.9 km / 108.1 miles away
Sibenik Car Rentals from $6.90 per day211.8 km / 131.6 miles away
Brač Car Rentals from $53.14 per day286.7 km / 178.2 miles away
Primošten Car Rentals from $6.90 per day226.6 km / 140.8 miles away
Opatija Car Rentals from $8.72 per day482.8 km / 300.0 miles away
Top 16 Locations near Rijeka
Rijeka Train Station Car Rentals from $13.30 per day0.5 km / 0.3 miles away
Rijeka Airport Car Rentals from $6.00 per day16.2 km / 10.1 miles away
Pula Airport Car Rentals from $6.00 per day63.1 km / 39.2 miles away
Panorama Zagreb Hotel Car Rentals from $16.95 per day129.3 km / 80.4 miles away
Zagreb, Westin Hotel Car Rentals from $13.30 per day130.4 km / 81.0 miles away
Zagreb Esplanade Hotel Car Rentals from $12.82 per day131.0 km / 81.4 miles away
Zagreb Train Station Car Rentals from $21.75 per day131.2 km / 81.5 miles away
Zagreb Hotel Slisko Car Rentals from $22.20 per day132.4 km / 82.3 miles away
Zagreb Airport Car Rentals from $1.97 per day135.2 km / 84.0 miles away
Zadar Port Car Rentals from $6.90 per day148.5 km / 92.3 miles away
Zadar Airport Car Rentals from $6.00 per day153.6 km / 95.4 miles away
Split Airport Car Rentals from $4.00 per day247.9 km / 154.0 miles away
Split Port Car Rentals from $21.75 per day257.8 km / 160.2 miles away
Osijek Airport Car Rentals from $16.95 per day341.7 km / 212.3 miles away
Dubrovnik Port Car Rentals from $21.75 per day416.3 km / 258.7 miles away
Dubrovnik Airport Car Rentals from $3.24 per day434.4 km / 269.9 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Rijeka?
What’s the usual rental length in Rijeka?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Rijeka?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|AddCar||Suzuki Swift||4||2||Small cars|
|SIXT||Opel Astra||4||1||Medium cars|
|Alamo||Opel Astra||5||2||Medium cars|
|AddCar||Suzuki Baleno||5||2||Medium cars|
|AddCar||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Enterprise||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|
|SIXT||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Citroen C3||5||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Renault Trafic||4||6||People Carriers/Vans|
|Enterprise||Hyundai i20||4||2||Small cars|