Car Rental in Darwin
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Darwin?
The capital of the remote Northern Territory, Darwin offers a lot to those who go the extra mile to get there. Increasingly easy to reach, the city has turned into a hub of historic sites, quality museums, and vibrant cultural life. The main draw of Darwin, however, remains its access to the tropical forests of northern Australia. Travelers visiting the city experience the ultimate tropical lifestyle Darwin is known for. With a rental car, it is easy to combine this beautiful tropical city with stunning national parks such as Litchfield, Kakadu, and Nitmiluk.
One-Way Car Rentals in Darwin
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Darwin and drop off in another city include:
- From Darwin to Melbourne - 8 offers from $339.37 per day
- From Darwin to Alice Springs - 8 offers from $54.97 per day
- From Darwin to Perth - 8 offers from $192.77 per day
Top ways to enter Darwin
Darwin Airport: By far the busiest airport in the Northern Territory, it offers flights to both remote regional destinations and the largest Australian cities like Brisbane and Melbourne. An international airport, it also has flights to Singapore, China, Indonesia, and East Timor. Located about 12 km (7.4 miles) northeast of Darwin, the airport can be reached in about 15 minutes.
Top destinations and activities
- Museum and Art Gallery of Northern Territory. Having a surprisingly diverse collection, Darwin’s main museum can more than hold its own against counterparts from larger Australian cities. The museum is especially rich in exhibitions of Aboriginal Australian, Oceanic, and Southeast Asian traditional art. On a more recent note, Sweetheart, the 5.4 m (18 feet) long crocodile who used to terrorize the area’s boats in the 1970s, is also on display here. At the museum, you will also see an exhibition of Cyclone Tracy, the most intense cyclone that has ever hit Darwin.
- Aviation Museum. Also known as the Aviation Heritage Center, this museum honors Darwin’s role in the early development of the aviation industry. Many of the pioneers of the field, including Amelia Earhart and Amy Johnson, flew to and from Darwin during the first three decades of the 20th century. The museum has many of the original aircraft, as well as a Boeing B-52 bomber, on display. The museum is about 11 km (6.8 miles) northeast of the city center but can be easily reached by car.
- Charles Darwin National Park. Although not the largest national park in the Northern Territory, or even in the proximity of Darwin, it is one of the most famous and most visited. The park is home to prehistoric middens built by the original inhabitants of the area, World War Two bunkers, as well as bush trails and flora characteristic of the Darwin area. Located on a peninsula just east of Darwin’s center, the national park can be reached in just ten minutes by car.
- Darwin Waterfront. The Waterfront is the ideal place to cool down by taking a dip in the wave lagoon or at the beach. You can also have a delectible culinary experience at one of the several nice restaurants serving different world cuisines.
- Mindil Beach Sunset Markets. During Darwin's dry season, you can enjoy the Mindil Beach Sunset Markets on Thursday and Sunday evenings. Walk past cozy stalls selling local products and taste the most delicious world dishes. On some nights, there are even fireworks and live music.
- Deckchair Cinema. As a movie lover, Darwin is also the place to be, as near Darwin Waterfront, you will find the Deckchair Cinema wher,e you can watch the best films outdoor.s Enjoy a movie under a beautiful starry sky!
- Casuarina Square. The largest shopping center in the Northern Territory is located in Casuarina in the northern suburbs of Darwin.
Traffic and parking
- One of the largest road hazards in Australia is the wildlife. Take extra caution when driving in bad weather or after dark as this is when most of the collisions with wildlife take place. Animals like to lie on the road in the NT because of the warm road surface — so drive extra carefully in the evening.
- Mobile coverage is very rarely available outside of major highways and population centers, so take extra caution when traveling in rural areas.
- Another great risk when traveling outside of main highways is the heat. The temperatures can reach extremes very easily, especially during the summer months and in inland areas. Always stay properly hydrated and plan your route in advance to be able to supplement your water supplies.
- Also, always make sure you have sunglasses in the car when you’re on a road trip in the NT. Australia is a country where it is often sunny, and especially in the Northern Territory, it can be dangerous if you are blinded by the sun while driving.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The primary, nationwide emergency number in Australia is 000.
While there are many toll roads in Australia, none of them are in the Northern Territory.
Ideas for day trips
- Casuarina Coastal Reserve. Located just north of Darwin itself, this nature reserve combines a long sandy shore with scenic sandstone cliffs. Several beaches in the area are patrolled and good for swimming - it’s a good idea to avoid the unmarked ones as there may be saltwater crocodiles. And it is not recommended to swim during the wet season because of dangerous stingers.
- Kakadu National Park. Situated near State Highway 21, or the Kakadu Highway, this national park is one of the most famous attractions of Northern Australia. In addition to savanna landscapes and waterways, the area is famous for its abundance of ancient Aboriginal art. During the rainy season (which lasts roughly from November to April) most of the park can only be seen from above on a helicopter tour. The drive from Darwin to Kakadu Highway takes about an hour and 40 minutes.
- East Point Reserve. This is one of the most beautiful natural areas near the city. Here, you can take a beautiful walk along the rugged coast and spot wallabies during a magic sunset.
- Litchfield National Park. One of the most beautiful parks in northern Australia is Litchfield National Park, an area full of beautiful hiking trails, waterfalls, termite mounds, and natural pools. Places that we can recommend are Wangi Falls, Florence Falls, and Greenant Creek
- Nitmiluk National Park. This wonderful national park is located about 30 kilometers east of Katherine and is a three-and-a-half-hour drive from Darwin. One of the highlights of the national park is Nitmiluk (previously Katherine) Gorge, 13 spectacular cliffs that glow and change color during sunrise or sunset.
Car Rental Prices in Darwin
- Large cars - from $40 per day
- Medium cars - from $39 per day
- Vans - from $149 per day
- Premium cars - from $171 per day
- Small cars - from $38 per day
- SUVs - from $42 per day
Top 20 Cities near Darwin
Kununurra Car Rentals from $73.39 per day441.4 km / 274.3 miles away
Broome Car Rentals from $53.40 per day1112.6 km / 691.3 miles away
Mount Isa Car Rentals from $39.33 per day1297.5 km / 806.2 miles away
Alice Springs Car Rentals from $96.37 per day1306.3 km / 811.7 miles away
Yulara Car Rentals from $137.13 per day1420.0 km / 882.3 miles away
Ayers Rock Car Rentals from $161.22 per day1425.9 km / 886.0 miles away
Port Hedland Car Rentals from $28.13 per day1577.2 km / 980.0 miles away
Port Douglas Car Rentals from $56.69 per day1634.1 km / 1015.4 miles away
Cairns Car Rentals from $49.59 per day1675.3 km / 1041.0 miles away
Karratha Car Rentals from $25.91 per day1762.0 km / 1094.9 miles away
Townsville Car Rentals from $36.43 per day1860.8 km / 1156.2 miles away
Proserpine Car Rentals from $27.39 per day2085.5 km / 1295.9 miles away
Exmouth Car Rentals from $70.94 per day2087.1 km / 1296.9 miles away
Mackay Car Rentals from $39.95 per day2175.4 km / 1351.7 miles away
Emerald Car Rentals from $38.18 per day2206.8 km / 1371.2 miles away
Kalgoorlie Car Rentals from $61.17 per day2260.5 km / 1404.6 miles away
Rockhampton Car Rentals from $60.76 per day2401.3 km / 1492.1 miles away
Broken Hill Car Rentals from $29.00 per day2432.1 km / 1511.2 miles away
Geraldton Car Rentals from $40.48 per day2473.9 km / 1537.2 miles away
Gladstone Car Rentals from $47.61 per day2493.9 km / 1549.6 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Darwin
Darwin Airport Car Rentals from $38.41 per day
Kununurra Airport Car Rentals from $73.39 per day441.4 km / 274.3 miles away
Broome Airport Car Rentals from $53.40 per day1112.6 km / 691.3 miles away
Alice Springs Airport Car Rentals from $96.37 per day1306.3 km / 811.7 miles away
Ayers Rock Airport Car Rentals from $137.13 per day1420.0 km / 882.3 miles away
Port Hedland International Airport Car Rentals from $39.16 per day1577.2 km / 980.0 miles away
Cairns Airport Car Rentals from $49.59 per day1675.3 km / 1041.0 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $95.31 per day1678.6 km / 1043.0 miles away
Karratha Airport Car Rentals from $25.91 per day1762.0 km / 1094.9 miles away
Townsville Airport Car Rentals from $83.80 per day1860.8 km / 1156.2 miles away
Whitsunday Coast Airport Car Rentals from $27.39 per day2085.5 km / 1295.9 miles away
Exmouth Airport Car Rentals from $90.67 per day2087.1 km / 1296.9 miles away
Mackay Airport Car Rentals from $91.23 per day2175.4 km / 1351.7 miles away
Emerald Airport Car Rentals from $38.18 per day2206.8 km / 1371.2 miles away
Kalgoorlie Boulder Airport Car Rentals from $61.17 per day2260.5 km / 1404.6 miles away
Rockhampton Airport Car Rentals from $60.76 per day2401.3 km / 1492.1 miles away
Geraldton Airport Car Rentals from $40.48 per day2473.9 km / 1537.2 miles away
Gladstone Airport Car Rentals from $47.61 per day2493.9 km / 1549.6 miles away
Adelaide North Car Rentals from $23.85 per day2619.2 km / 1627.5 miles away
Adelaide Airport Car Rentals from $23.51 per day2621.3 km / 1628.8 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Darwin?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Darwin?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Darwin?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||2|
|Popular suppliers||Bargain Car Rentals, Alamo, Hertz, Europcar, Thrifty|
|Popular car categories||SUVs, Medium cars, Large cars, Small cars|
|Lowest price||$38 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Bargain Car Rentals||Hyundai Accent||4||2||Medium cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Kia Stonic||4||2||SUVs|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Toyota Corolla||4||2||Large cars|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Nissan X-Trail||4||2||SUVs|
|Bargain Car Rentals||Holden Commodore||4||2||Large cars|
|Hertz||Toyota Corolla||4||2||Medium cars|
|Alamo||Hyundai i30||5||2||Large cars|
|Alamo||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.