Car Rental at London Heathrow Airport
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Airport Car Rental
As one of the most popular travel destinations in the world, London has enough landmarks and attractions to be explored for weeks. Not only that, London Heathrow has connections with cities all over the world. In particular, there are many cheap flights from New York City. But the other good thing about this metropolis is that it is near a number of interesting English destinations that can be easily visited on a day trip if you get a rental car. Here are three of them:
- Brighton. Arguably the most famous resort town in the United Kingdom, Brighton is a great place to visit for a seaside escape. Even if you’re in England during the autumn or winter months, the city has plenty of reasons to visit. These include not only the beaches and the famous Brighton Pier, but also many historic streets and buildings, the lavish Royal Pavilion, the Brighton Museum and Art Gallery, and the Brighton Fishing Museum. Located some 130 km (80 miles) south of London, Brighton can be reached in less than two hours.
- Cambridge. Arguably one of the two most famous university cities in the world (its arch-rival Oxford is nearby and also worth a visit), Cambridge is a history lover's dream. Most of the city’s landmarks are unsurprisingly connected to education, such as the picturesque Queens’, Kings’, Trinity, and Jesus Colleges. Many of the Colleges also have museums and art galleries. One of the most popular things to do is enjoy a guided punting tour along the River Cam, where you can learn more about college life as you pass by the historic colleges. Cambridge is 101 km (63 miles) north of London and can be reached in about 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- Suffolk. One of the largest counties in South England, Suffolk is also one of the most traditional and scenic destinations for a road trip. The region is known for its natural beauty exemplified by the wild North Sea coast, as well as heaths and vales. Suffolk County also has plenty of historic character, not least in the city of Bury St Edmunds known for its cathedral, market, and medieval ruins. The trip to the latter takes about two hours by car.
Notes about renting a car
When renting a car in London, it’s important to note cars tend to be smaller so they can fit on small village roads. Prepare for this in advance if traveling in a large group, or if you have a lot of luggage (you may have to reduce it).
You’ll also want to research the areas you are driving to as some cities and towns in England as some have created Clean Air Zones. This means you’ll be charged a fee if you drive higher-emission vehicles in the zone. You can check this website to see if you’ll need to pay the fee.
As London is extremely congested, certain parts of the city will require you to pay an £15 daily charge for driving through. You can check the congestion zone here. Renting a car from Heathrow will put you outside of that congestion zone, and is the best choice for taking a road trip outside of London.
Unlike continental Europe, In England, they drive on the left hand side of the road, they use miles for distances, and roundabouts are commonly found. And the blood alcohol limit is 0.08 percent.
Toll roads are quite common in England, so be prepared with a credit or debit card to pay. You'll need a valid driver's license and always check to make sure whether your nationality needs an international driver's license. Generally they are not required.
Most popular types of rental car
Car rental desks
Those rental companies not located at the airport provide a shuttle service from the terminals to their locations.
Services and facilities
Nearest gas station
If returning a car to Green Motion (and Ace, whose rentals are serviced by Green Motion), then a Shell station located on Holloway Lane, one block west of the Holiday Inn where Green Motion is located is the best station to fill up at. It is less than a mile away from the Holiday Inn.
If returning a car to Sixt’s location, you can conveniently fill up at the BP station that you must drive through anyway to reach the rental return gate.
Popular one-way rentals
- Cheltenham (156 km / 97 mi)
- Chesterfield (295 km / 161 mi)
- Brighton (104 km / 65 mi)
- Guernsey (310 km / 193 mi)
- Bromley (90 km / 56 mi)
- Loughborough (203 km / 126 mi)
- Poole (151 km / 94 mi)
- Weston-super-Mare (206 km / 128 mi)
- Gatwick Airport (61 km / 38 mi)
- Worthing (96 km / 60 mi)
- Basingstoke (55 km / 34 mi)
- Chelmsford (129 km / 80 mi)
- Portsmouth (105 km / 65 mi)
London Heathrow Airport
- IATA: LHR
- ICAO: EGLL
- Name: London Airport Heathrow (LHR)
- Distance from city: 13.7 miles / 22 km
Top 20 Locations near London Heathrow Airport
Car Rental in London Fulham from $55.23 per day18.0 km / 11.2 miles away
Car Rental at London Paddington Train Station from $19.77 per day20.2 km / 12.6 miles away
Car Rental in London Edgware Road from $19.77 per day20.6 km / 12.8 miles away
Car Rental at London Marylebone Train Station from $19.77 per day21.2 km / 13.2 miles away
Car Rental at London St Pancras Train Station from $33.00 per day24.0 km / 14.9 miles away
Car Rental at Waterloo Train Station from $28.72 per day24.1 km / 15.0 miles away
Car Rental at London Kings Cross Train Station from $35.98 per day24.4 km / 15.2 miles away
Car Rental in London Lewisham from $133.17 per day31.5 km / 19.6 miles away
Car Rental at London Stratford Train Station from $75.42 per day32.5 km / 20.2 miles away
Car Rental in Downtown Enfield from $112.28 per day35.4 km / 22.0 miles away
Car Rental at London City Airport from $19.61 per day35.9 km / 22.3 miles away
Car Rental in London Woodford Green from $215.65 per day37.7 km / 23.4 miles away
Car Rental in London Ilford from $24.30 per day38.2 km / 23.7 miles away
Car Rental at London Airport Gatwick from $17.47 per day41.2 km / 25.6 miles away
Car Rental in Luton (Downtown) from $43.43 per day44.5 km / 27.7 miles away
Car Rental at Luton Airport from $17.95 per day44.6 km / 27.7 miles away
Car Rental at London Stansted Airport from $17.15 per day66.0 km / 41.0 miles away
Car Rental at Southampton Airport from $54.35 per day85.6 km / 53.2 miles away
Car Rental at Bournemouth Airport from $38.24 per day123.7 km / 76.9 miles away
Car Rental at Birmingham Airport from $20.79 per day139.8 km / 86.9 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
When are car rental prices the lowest at London Heathrow Airport?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
For how long do renters keep their vehicles at London Heathrow Airport?
What is the most popular time of year to rent a car at London Heathrow Airport?
Car Rental Information
|Popular suppliers||Easirent, Drivalia, Surprice, Ace Rent a car, Keddy|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Vans|
|Lowest price||$17 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Easirent||Ford Fiesta||5||2||Small cars|
|Surprice||Volkswagen Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|Drivalia||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
|Easirent||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|
|Easirent||Fiat 500||3||2||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Hertz||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
|Easirent||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.