Car Rental in London
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in London?
One of the great cities of Europe and the world, London is a place that everyone should experience at least once. Both historic, modern, diverse and yet maintaining a unique local character, its neighborhoods, buildings, and attractions can be explored for days. Getting a rental car is your best bet to see as much as possible.
One-Way Car Rentals in London
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in London and drop off in another city include:
- From London to Manchester - 307 offers from US$ 32.78 per day
- From London to Edinburgh - 183 offers from US$ 44.94 per day
- From London to Luton - 90 offers from US$ 43.52 per day
- From London to Bristol - 165 offers from US$ 44.94 per day
- From London to Glasgow - 254 offers from US$ 34.75 per day
Top ways to enter London
- London Heathrow Airport. The largest in Europe and among the top 10 in the world, Heathrow Airport feels like a city in its own right. The airport is located just west of London.
- London Gatwick Airport. Offering flights to and from destinations all over Europe, as well as North America, the Caribbean, Africa, and Asia, Gatwick Airport serves nearly 50 million passengers every year. The airport is in West Sussex county about an hour’s drive south of London.
- London City Airport. The only international airport serving London that’s located inside the city’s boundaries, London City Airport is a base for British Airways and is also served by a handful of other airlines.
- London Stansted Airport. A huge base for Ryanair and also served by a number of other low-cost carriers, flying to Stansted is often the cheapest way to reach London. The airport itself is about an hour’s drive northeast of the city proper.
- Luton Airport. Often also branded as London Luton Airport thanks to its proximity to the capital, but located in the neighboring city of Luton, this airport is served by nine different airlines.
- By rail: If you’re arriving in London by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at many of London’s train stations. London Bridge, Croydon South, Hammersmith, Victoria, and Paddington are just some of them.
Useful city facts
London has a temperate oceanic climate and is warmer than most of the other large cities of the United Kingdom. The average temperature is 18.7 °C (65.7 °F) in July and 5.2 °C (41.4 °F) in January. Despite its reputation for being very rainy, London actually has less precipitation than Lisbon, Rome, New York City, and Sydney.
London is made up of 32 boroughs or local authority districts. 12 boroughs are within Inner London while 20 are in Outer London. The most populous London borough is Croydon in South London.
Top destinations and activities
- Buckingham Palace. The home of the Royal family and, for many, the number one landmark of London, Buckingham Palace is only open for tours during the summer months, but even if you visit during another time of year, it’s magnificence can be observed from outside.
- British Museum. London has countless world-class museums, such as the National History Museum and Tate Modern, but the British Museum is probably the crown jewel of them all, both for its immensity and for the awesome quality of its exhibitions. From the history of the inhabitants of the British Isles to Ancient Greeks and Romans to equally impressive civilizations outside Europe, it really covers human history in its fullness.
- St. Paul’s Cathedral. Arguably the most famous Anglican church in the world, St Paul’s Cathedral is located on the site of a much older church dating back to AD 604. Rebuilt after the great fire of London in 1666, nowadays the cathedral provides an especially impressive sight when illuminated after dark.
Traffic and parking tips
- The United Kingdom drives on the left-hand side of the road.
- On-street parking is usually heavily restricted. Never park on a white, double yellow or double red line (stopping on motorways and next to red lines is illegal).
- You are not allowed to use your mobile phone while driving, unless you use a hands-free system.
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 112 km/h (70 mph) on motorways, 112 km/h (70 mph) on dual carriageways, 96 km/h (60 mph) on single carriageways and 48km/h (30 mph) in residential areas and areas with street lightning.
- In England and Wales, the legal alcohol limit is 0.08% for both experienced and novice drivers. Do keep in mind, however, that in Scotland the legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for both experienced and novice drivers. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines, a suspended license, or even imprisonment.
- The insurance and documentation of the car needs to be in it whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The emergency numbers are 999 and 112.
Currently there is only a single toll road in the United Kingdom, the M6 toll. You also have to pay a toll for using a number of bridges and tunnels, as well as for entering the central areas of London and Durham (a city in North East England).
As an alternative to the M6 around Birmingham, the M6toll is a 43 km (27 mi) long portion of the road, also known as the Birmingham North Relief Road (BNRR), that relieves congestion on the M6 itself. There are toll gates where you can pay by either cash or credit card. As of March 2019, the price is £6.40 for using the toll road from Monday to Friday (from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.), £5.30 for using the toll road on Saturday or Sunday (from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.), and £4.10 for using the toll road at night time on any day (from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.). Find out more on the M6 Toll official website.
Find out more about toll roads in the United Kingdom on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Windsor Castle. Claiming to be the largest and oldest occupied castle in the world, this royal residence is nearly as important as the Buckingham Palace. Besides its important inhabitants, it also houses beautiful artworks by Rembrandt, Rubens, and Canaletto. Unlike Buckingham, Windsor is open for visitors throughout the year. The castle, located in the town of the same name, is about 40 km (23 mi) west of London.
- Stonehenge. The prehistoric ring of stones has been standing since the Bronze Age. Its meaning still hasn’t been fully deciphered, which only adds to its mystery. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, it is in Wiltshire Country and can be reached from London in about two and a half hours.
- Cambridge. Home to one of the world’s most famous universities, Cambridge is also a surprisingly green and cozy city. Befitting a great academic center, it also houses a large number of amazing museums, from the Folk Museum and the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology to the University Museum of Zoology and the Polar Museum. With only 60 miles (90 km) to cover, it makes an ideal day trip from London.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in London is the Peugeot 108, although many travelers also pick the Ford Fiesta and the Volvo V40. The most popular rental car types are mini, intermediate, and economy.
- Manchester. Embracing its industrial past rather than trying to avoid it, Manchester is a unique and vibrant cultural center. Come here for its beautiful historic buildings, unique neighborhoods, great museums and art galleries, and two world class football clubs. Manchester is less than four hours drive north of London.
- Edinburgh. The capital of Scotland might not be quite as immense as its English counterpart, but what it lacks in size, Edinburgh more than makes up for in charm. A city with a truly unique historic feel, Edinburgh is about seven hours drive north of London. That might seem like a long drive, but you’d be crossing all of England where there are countless opportunities for stopping along the way. And besides, the final destination will be worth it.
- Paris. The capital of France is sometimes considered London’s rival, so why not play along and compare the two? Regardless of which one you prefer, Paris is an amazing destination for its atmosphere, history, and cuisine, and can be reached in less than six hours.
Car Rental Prices in London
- Station wagons - from $75 per day
- Large cars - from $48 per day
- Medium cars - from $41 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $88 per day
- Premium cars - from $103 per day
- Small cars - from $30 per day
- SUVs - from $65 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are many things you can do to get a good car rental deal in London. Start with:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting London is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 39% cheaper than the yearly average and about 60% cheaper than renting in May.
Top 20 Cities near London
Manchester Car Rentals from $32.63 per day243.1 km / 151.1 miles away
Glasgow Car Rentals from $42.09 per day530.8 km / 329.8 miles away
Edinburgh Car Rentals from $11.27 per day509.9 km / 316.8 miles away
Birmingham Car Rentals from $11.96 per day149.3 km / 92.8 miles away
Belfast Car Rentals from $16.69 per day508.8 km / 316.1 miles away
Inverness Car Rentals from $22.92 per day686.3 km / 426.4 miles away
Leeds Car Rentals from $17.08 per day254.3 km / 158.0 miles away
Luton Car Rentals from $13.88 per day41.4 km / 25.7 miles away
Liverpool Car Rentals from $12.81 per day263.3 km / 163.6 miles away
Bristol Car Rentals from $17.25 per day211.0 km / 131.1 miles away
East Midlands Car Rentals from $22.30 per day149.4 km / 92.9 miles away
Newcastle Car Rentals from $22.91 per day373.0 km / 231.8 miles away
Southampton Car Rentals from $23.04 per day151.6 km / 94.2 miles away
Aberdeen Car Rentals from $16.23 per day611.8 km / 380.1 miles away
Cardiff Car Rentals from $20.89 per day252.8 km / 157.1 miles away
Bournemouth Car Rentals from $27.73 per day189.5 km / 117.8 miles away
Exeter Car Rentals from $20.89 per day284.0 km / 176.5 miles away
Norwich Car Rentals from $21.90 per day113.2 km / 70.3 miles away
Dundee Car Rentals from $26.58 per day550.3 km / 341.9 miles away
Newquay Car Rentals from $33.23 per day398.4 km / 247.5 miles away
Top 20 Locations near London
London Edgware Road Car Rentals from $16.93 per day
London Paddington Train Station Car Rentals from $16.93 per day0.5 km / 0.3 miles away
London Marylebone Train Station Car Rentals from $16.93 per day0.7 km / 0.4 miles away
London Euston Train Station Car Rentals from $16.93 per day2.7 km / 1.7 miles away
London Victoria Train Station Car Rentals from $20.26 per day3.3 km / 2.0 miles away
London St Pancras Train Station Car Rentals from $16.93 per day3.4 km / 2.1 miles away
London Kings Cross Train Station Car Rentals from $16.93 per day3.8 km / 2.4 miles away
Waterloo Train Station Car Rentals from $29.68 per day4.4 km / 2.8 miles away
London Hammersmith Train Station Car Rentals from $42.48 per day5.3 km / 3.3 miles away
London Stratford Train Station Car Rentals from $32.89 per day11.9 km / 7.4 miles away
London Edgware Car Rentals from $28.01 per day12.3 km / 7.7 miles away
London City Airport Car Rentals from $24.58 per day15.7 km / 9.8 miles away
London Croydon South Car Rentals from $20.26 per day18.5 km / 11.5 miles away
London Heathrow Airport Car Rentals from $19.48 per day20.6 km / 12.8 miles away
London Gatwick Airport Car Rentals from $19.99 per day41.3 km / 25.7 miles away
Luton Airport Car Rentals from $13.88 per day41.8 km / 26.0 miles away
London Stansted Airport Car Rentals from $16.74 per day49.4 km / 30.7 miles away
London Southend Airport Car Rentals from $22.91 per day60.2 km / 37.4 miles away
Southampton Cruise Terminal Car Rentals from $24.41 per day102.7 km / 63.8 miles away
Southampton Airport Car Rentals from $23.04 per day104.0 km / 64.6 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What’s the usual rental length in London?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in London?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Easirent||Ford Fiesta||5||2||Small cars|
|Easirent||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|
|Easirent||Fiat 500||3||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||VW Golf||4||2||Medium cars|
|GreenMotion||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|Easirent||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Fiat 500||2||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||VW Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||VW Polo 3d||3||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Hyundai i10||5||1||Small cars|