Car Hire in Florence
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Florence?
Capital of history and art, Florence is one of the classiest places in Europe. The city is known for its distinctive architecture and amazing museums, but also offers easy access to the idyllic Tuscan countryside.
One-way Car Hire in Florence
The most popular one-way car hire options for pick up in Florence and drop off in another city include:
- From Florence to Rome - 441 offers from £ 15.87 per day
- From Florence to Pisa - 219 offers from £ 15.87 per day
- From Florence to Catania - 147 offers from £ 15.87 per day
- From Florence to Naples - 137 offers from £ 15.87 per day
- From Florence to Bologna - 194 offers from £ 15.87 per day
Top ways to enter Florence
- Florence Airport. Although not especially large, it is the main airport in Florence. Located some10 km (6 miles) northwest of the city centre, the airport has flights by 20 different airlines, including the low-cost carrier Vueling.
- Pisa Airport. The busiest in Tuscany, Pisa Airport serves the famous city of the leaning tower. The distance from Florence is 83 km (52 miles), a distance that can be made in about 1 hour and 15 minutes by car.
- Other airports. There are a number of other Italian international airports that travellers often use to get to Florence. The most notable of these are Milan Malpensa Airport (about a 4-hour drive northwest of Florence), Bergamo Airport (4 hours north), and Rome Fiumicino Airport (a bit over 3 hours south).
Top destinations and activities
- Santa Maria del Fiore. Of all the famous buildings of the city, Florence Cathedral is arguably the most notable one. Dating back to the 13th century, it embodies a number of architectural styles so important to the city’s distinct, iconic look. Admire the dome, nave, facade, and Giotto’s tower from the outside, but don’t miss out on the statues inside, such as Donatello’s original David.
- Uffizi. Another landmark of Florence that simply shouldn’t be missed, Uffizi is a sanctuary of Italian art. Located on the north bank of the Arno river, the gallery has been open since the 16th century and is now the most visited of all the famous art museums in Italy.
- Great Synagogue and Jewish Museum. One of the most notable institutions of its kind in Italy, this museum explains the fascinating history of the Florentine Jews throughout the centuries. The synagogue building, or Tempio Maggiore, itself dates back to the late 19th century and is known for its three light blue domes. A small, but vibrant Jewish community of about 1,500 people continues to live in Florence today.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
- Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. When it’s raining, the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route you choose and the type of vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Pisa. The other world-famous city of Tuscany, Pisa is more than just the Torre Pendente (the leaning tower) — the city is consistently picturesque and boasts plenty of architectural and ecclesiastical landmarks. The drive from Florence takes about 90 minutes. Unlike Florence, Pisa is practically on the coast and just a short drive from a number of attractive beach towns.
- Bologna. If Florence didn’t manage to quench your thirst for artistic delight and sophistication, visiting Bologna is a logical next step. A learned city, it is home to one of the oldest universities in the world, as well as truly world-class cuisine. The drive from Florence takes just under two hours.
Most popular cars
The most hired car in Florence is the Fiat 500, followed by the Kia Picanto and the Seat Leon. The most popular vehicle types are economy, mini, and standard.
Car Hire Prices in Florence
- Station wagons - starting at £ 188 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 214 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 173 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 288 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 238 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 102 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 213 per day
These are some good methods to save money on your vehicle:
- Compare rates of different car providers
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit in the month when the car hire prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Florence is the cheapest in February.
Top 17 Cities near Florence
Rome starting at £ 12.37 per day235.9 km / 146.6 miles away
Milan starting at £ 106.18 per day246.4 km / 153.1 miles away
Naples starting at £ 113.55 per day408.1 km / 253.6 miles away
244.9 km / 152.2 miles away
Bari starting at £ 68.49 per day539.1 km / 335.0 miles away
Venice starting at £ 47.54 per day211.5 km / 131.4 miles away
Bologna starting at £ 54.79 per day84.8 km / 52.7 miles away
Verona starting at £ 79.52 per day185.2 km / 115.1 miles away
315.7 km / 196.2 miles away
Pisa starting at £ 121.40 per day53.4 km / 33.2 miles away
Brindisi starting at £ 50.94 per day651.4 km / 404.8 miles away
Mestre Venice starting at £ 122.51 per day205.4 km / 127.6 miles away
Treviso starting at £ 79.93 per day221.5 km / 137.7 miles away
Lamezia Terme starting at £ 52.83 per day683.2 km / 424.5 miles away
Bolzano starting at £ 94.57 per day298.8 km / 185.7 miles away
198.9 km / 123.6 miles away
Sorrento starting at £ 96.60 per day434.9 km / 270.2 miles away
Top 17 Destinations around Florence
Firenze Porta al Prato starting at £ 145.74 per day0.1 km / 0.0 miles away
Firenze Railway Station starting at £ 102.74 per day0.1 km / 0.1 miles away
Firenze Via Borgognissanti starting at £ 149.14 per day0.1 km / 0.1 miles away
Florence Santa Croce starting at £ 165.80 per day1.9 km / 1.2 miles away
Firenze Novoli starting at £ 120.93 per day2.2 km / 1.4 miles away
Firenze Peretola starting at £ 149.14 per day4.6 km / 2.8 miles away
Florence Airport starting at £ 61.04 per day5.1 km / 3.2 miles away
Florence Capalle starting at £ 108.45 per day11.4 km / 7.1 miles away
Pisa Ponsacco starting at £ 121.40 per day53.4 km / 33.2 miles away
Pisa Airport starting at £ 55.09 per day69.2 km / 43.0 miles away
Bologna Casteldebole starting at £ 118.85 per day81.3 km / 50.5 miles away
Bologna Giardino Giovanni Amendola starting at £ 134.44 per day81.6 km / 50.7 miles away
Bologna Borgo Panigale starting at £ 104.83 per day82.5 km / 51.3 miles away
Bologna Airport starting at £ 54.79 per day84.8 km / 52.7 miles away
Bologna Bargellino starting at £ 92.31 per day85.6 km / 53.2 miles away
Bologna Funo starting at £ 122.51 per day90.5 km / 56.2 miles away
Ravenna Fornace Zarattini starting at £ 122.51 per day101.3 km / 62.9 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in Florence?
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Florence?
What month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Florence?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Sicily By Car||Opel Karl||4||2||Small cars|
|Leasys||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Noleggiare||Peugeot 108||5||2||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Opel Crossland X||5||3||Medium cars|
|Sicily By Car||Fiat 500X||5||3||Medium cars|
|Ecovia||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|Noleggiare||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
|Autovia||Kia Picanto||3||1||Small cars|
|Leasys||Fiat 500L||5||2||Medium cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.