Car Hire in Florence
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Florence?
Capital of history and art, Florence is one of the classiest places in Europe. The city is known for its distinctive architecture and amazing museums, but also offers easy access to the idyllic Tuscan countryside.
One-way Car Hire in Florence
The most popular one-way car hire options for pick up in Florence and drop off in another city include:
- From Florence to Rome - 441 offers from £ 15.46 per day
- From Florence to Pisa - 219 offers from £ 15.46 per day
- From Florence to Catania - 147 offers from £ 15.46 per day
- From Florence to Naples - 137 offers from £ 15.46 per day
- From Florence to Bologna - 194 offers from £ 15.46 per day
Top ways to enter Florence
- Florence Airport. Although not especially large, it is the main airport in Florence. Located some10 km (6 miles) northwest of the city centre, the airport has flights by 20 different airlines, including the low-cost carrier Vueling.
- Pisa Airport. The busiest in Tuscany, Pisa Airport serves the famous city of the leaning tower. The distance from Florence is 83 km (52 miles), a distance that can be made in about 1 hour and 15 minutes by car.
- Other airports. There are a number of other Italian international airports that travellers often use to get to Florence. The most notable of these are Milan Malpensa Airport (about a 4-hour drive northwest of Florence), Bergamo Airport (4 hours north), and Rome Fiumicino Airport (a bit over 3 hours south).
Top destinations and activities
- Santa Maria del Fiore. Of all the famous buildings of the city, Florence Cathedral is arguably the most notable one. Dating back to the 13th century, it embodies a number of architectural styles so important to the city’s distinct, iconic look. Admire the dome, nave, facade, and Giotto’s tower from the outside, but don’t miss out on the statues inside, such as Donatello’s original David.
- Uffizi. Another landmark of Florence that simply shouldn’t be missed, Uffizi is a sanctuary of Italian art. Located on the north bank of the Arno river, the gallery has been open since the 16th century and is now the most visited of all the famous art museums in Italy.
- Great Synagogue and Jewish Museum. One of the most notable institutions of its kind in Italy, this museum explains the fascinating history of the Florentine Jews throughout the centuries. The synagogue building, or Tempio Maggiore, itself dates back to the late 19th century and is known for its three light blue domes. A small, but vibrant Jewish community of about 1,500 people continues to live in Florence today.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30 km/h.
- Main highways are limited to 130 km/h, non-major highways to 110 km/h, and local roads to 90 km/h. When it’s raining, the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.00% for novice drivers. Being over the allowed limit can result in hefty fines and even imprisonment.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are numerous toll roads in Italy. The exact fee depends on the route you choose and the type of vehicle. See the official Italian toll road website for more information. Use the website’s toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for day trips
- Pisa. The other world-famous city of Tuscany, Pisa is more than just the Torre Pendente (the leaning tower) — the city is consistently picturesque and boasts plenty of architectural and ecclesiastical landmarks. The drive from Florence takes about 90 minutes. Unlike Florence, Pisa is practically on the coast and just a short drive from a number of attractive beach towns.
- Bologna. If Florence didn’t manage to quench your thirst for artistic delight and sophistication, visiting Bologna is a logical next step. A learned city, it is home to one of the oldest universities in the world, as well as truly world-class cuisine. The drive from Florence takes just under two hours.
Most popular cars
The most hired car in Florence is the Fiat 500, followed by the Kia Picanto and the Seat Leon. The most popular vehicle types are economy, mini, and standard.
Car Hire Prices in Florence
- Convertibles - starting at £ 9 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 20 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 10 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 7 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 77 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 35 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 6 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 9 per day
These are some good methods to save money on your vehicle:
- Compare rates of different car providers
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit in the month when the car hire prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Florence is the cheapest in February.
Top 20 Cities near Florence
Pisa Car Hire starting at £ 1.57 per day66.7 km / 41.4 miles away
Bologna Car Hire starting at £ 2.61 per day80.9 km / 50.3 miles away
Rimini Car Hire starting at £ 9.98 per day112.9 km / 70.2 miles away
Perugia Car Hire starting at £ 7.74 per day132.1 km / 82.1 miles away
Ancona Car Hire starting at £ 6.41 per day174.7 km / 108.6 miles away
Verona Car Hire starting at £ 4.14 per day178.1 km / 110.7 miles away
Genoa Car Hire starting at £ 5.87 per day200.6 km / 124.6 miles away
Venice Car Hire starting at £ 1.54 per day209.2 km / 130.0 miles away
Treviso Car Hire starting at £ 5.30 per day218.9 km / 136.0 miles away
Bergamo Car Hire starting at £ 2.16 per day238.8 km / 148.4 miles away
Rome Car Hire starting at £ 1.48 per day238.8 km / 148.4 miles away
Tirano Car Hire starting at £ 11.25 per day279.6 km / 173.7 miles away
Milan Car Hire starting at £ 1.76 per day281.5 km / 174.9 miles away
Pescara Car Hire starting at £ 6.50 per day286.0 km / 177.7 miles away
Trieste Car Hire starting at £ 8.18 per day286.9 km / 178.3 miles away
Turin Car Hire starting at £ 4.65 per day321.5 km / 199.8 miles away
Naples Car Hire starting at £ 1.85 per day412.3 km / 256.2 miles away
Sorrento Car Hire starting at £ 8.93 per day440.0 km / 273.4 miles away
Salerno Car Hire starting at £ 9.34 per day455.7 km / 283.2 miles away
Bari Car Hire starting at £ 3.36 per day543.9 km / 338.0 miles away
Top 20 Destinations around Florence
Florence Airport Car Hire starting at £ 6.01 per day
Pisa Airport Car Hire starting at £ 1.57 per day66.7 km / 41.4 miles away
Bologna Airport Car Hire starting at £ 2.61 per day80.9 km / 50.3 miles away
Rimini Airport Car Hire starting at £ 10.94 per day115.1 km / 71.5 miles away
Ancona Airport Car Hire starting at £ 6.41 per day174.7 km / 108.6 miles away
Verona Airport Car Hire starting at £ 4.14 per day178.1 km / 110.7 miles away
Genova Airport Car Hire starting at £ 6.76 per day200.6 km / 124.6 miles away
Venice Airport Car Hire starting at £ 1.54 per day209.2 km / 130.0 miles away
Treviso Airport Car Hire starting at £ 5.30 per day218.9 km / 136.0 miles away
Milan Linate Airport Car Hire starting at £ 4.13 per day237.4 km / 147.5 miles away
Rome Termini Train Station Car Hire starting at £ 4.61 per day237.4 km / 147.5 miles away
Bergamo Airport Car Hire starting at £ 2.16 per day238.8 km / 148.4 miles away
Rome Airport Fiumicino Car Hire starting at £ 1.48 per day238.8 km / 148.4 miles away
City Centre Car Hire starting at £ 9.56 per day241.0 km / 149.8 miles away
Rome Airport Ciampino Car Hire starting at £ 4.86 per day250.7 km / 155.8 miles away
Milan Airport Malpensa Car Hire starting at £ 1.76 per day281.5 km / 174.9 miles away
Pescara Airport Car Hire starting at £ 6.50 per day286.0 km / 177.7 miles away
Trieste Airport Car Hire starting at £ 8.18 per day286.9 km / 178.3 miles away
Naples Airport Car Hire starting at £ 1.85 per day412.3 km / 256.2 miles away
Bari Airport Car Hire starting at £ 3.36 per day543.9 km / 338.0 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
In which month is car hire in Florence the most affordable?
This information can help you determine the low season. But note that these prices are only averages. The cost of your hire is determined by the type of car you select, the length of time you hire it for and how much in advance you book. Simply type in your dates in the form at the top of the page in order to find out the exact prices.
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Florence?
What is the most favoured month for hiring a car in Florence?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||8|
|Popular suppliers||RentalPlus, Noleggiare, Drivalia, Sicily By Car, Surprice|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Large cars|
|Lowest price||£ 6 per day|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|RentalPlus||Fiat Panda||5||1||Medium cars|
|RentalPlus||Ford Fiesta||4||2||Medium cars|
|RentalPlus||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Noleggiare||Peugeot 108||5||2||Small cars|
|RentalPlus||Ford Puma||4||3||Medium cars|
|Surprice||Hyundai i10||3||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.