Car Rental in Pamplona
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Pamplona?
The capital of the region of Navarre, Pamplona is a calm and relaxed place (that is, when the famous running of the bulls is not taking place), but that doesn’t mean there’s nothing for a visitor to enjoy as the city is home to historic architecture, large green areas, and a special atmosphere. With a rental car, you can see Pamplona first, then head to the nearby Pyrenees mountains, explore the neighboring Basque country, or even drive all the way to Madrid or Barcelona.
One-Way Car Rentals in Pamplona
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Pamplona and drop off in another city include:
- From Pamplona to Leon - 15 offers from US$ 30.95 per day
- From Pamplona to Barcelona - 3 offers from US$ 40.46 per day
- From Pamplona to Vigo - 10 offers from US$ 23.59 per day
Top ways to enter Pamplona
- Pamplona Airport: Small and cozy, Pamplona Airport handled only 200,000 travelers in 2018. The airport provides flights to and from Madrid and other Spanish destinations as well as Frankfurt in Germany. Located 6.5km (4 miles) south of the city center, the airport can be reached in ten minutes.
- Vitoria-Gasteiz Airport: Also located in the Basque Country, Vitoria Airport is only served by one airline, the low-cost carrier Ryanair, as of December 2019. In addition to domestic connections, there are also flights to and from Germany and Italy. Located 99km (61 miles) west of Pamplona, Vitoria Airport takes just over one hour to reach.
- Bilbao Airport: Serving the largest city of the neighboring Basque Country region, Bilbao Airport is a large hub for Spanish low-cost carriers Vueling and Volotea and is also served by around 20 other airlines. The airport, located 155km (96 miles) northwest of Pamplona, takes 1 hour and 40 minutes to reach.
- Madrid Barajas Airport: With almost 58 million travelers served in 2018, Adolfo Suarez Madrid-Barajas Airport is the busiest in Spain and sixth-busiest in Europe. The airport is a large hub for Iberia and Air Europa and is also served by tens of other airlines, including low-cost companies like easyJet, Norwegian Air and Wizz Air. Madrid Airport has flights to and from destinations in Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Americas. Located 378km (235 miles) southwest of Pamplona, the airport can be reached in about four hours.
- Barcelona El Prat Airport: Also known as Barcelona-Josep Tarradellas, the second-busiest airport in Spain handled 50 million travelers in 2018. As of December 2019, the airport has flights by around 70 different airlines. Located 480km (298 miles) southeast of Pamplona, Barcelona Airport takes 4 hours and 30 minutes to reach.
- By rail: If you arrive in Pamplona by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at the Pamplona Central RENFE Railway Station.
Useful city facts
- As it is not far from the coast of the Bay of Biscay, Pamplona has an oceanic climate. The average high temperature is 28°C (83°F) in July and August, the warmest months, and 9°C (48°F) in January, the coldest. April and October are the rainiest months, while July is the driest. Pamplona is located at an average elevation of 445 m (1,460 ft); temperatures are significantly lower in the surrounding Pyrenees.
- With a population of about 195,000 along with another 125,000 people living in the city’s larger metropolitan area, Pamplona is only the 23rd most populous city in Spain but by far the largest in the province of Navarre (of which it is also a capital). The city’s old town, known as Navarrería, has been inhabited since at least the Roman times.
Top destinations and activities
- Sanfermines. Although Sanfermines only takes place for nine days at the beginning of July, the world-famous festival is by far the biggest reason why travelers visit Pamplona. Even if you don’t intend to be chased by a bull, the festive atmosphere is still worth experiencing at least once and can’t be compared with anything else.
- Pamplona Cathedral. Every Spanish city of a decent size needs at least one impressive church and Pamplona truly has one of the best. Built in the 10th century on the site of an even older structure and renovated a number of times, Saint Mary the Royal Cathedral is arguably the most impressive (and the most photographed) church in all of Navarre.
- El Sadar. CA Osasuna, the home football team of Pamplona, might not be the strongest or the richest in Spain - in fact, its budget is among the smallest in the Spanish higher division. But the atmosphere created by the local fans inside El Sadar, it’s home stadium, cannot be compared with anything else. An awesome and, at times, deafening experience, visiting El Sadar is something that any curious tourist will enjoy. The Spanish football season runs from August until May.
Traffic and parking tips
- Spain drives on the right-hand side of the road.
- Speed limits - 50km/h (31mph) in built-up areas, 90km/h (56mph) on most standard roads, 100km/h (62mph) on standard roads that are either one-way roads, roads with more than two lanes for at least one direction of traffic and roads with shoulders more than 1.5m wide, and 120km/h (74mph) on highways (called autovías in Spain).
- The car’s documentation and proof of insurance have to be inside the vehicle at all times.
- The driver and all passengers are required to wear seatbelts.
- Children up to the age of 12 and measuring less than 135cm traveling on the front seat of a car must be seated in a child restraint system adapted to their size and weight.
- Unnecessary use of car horns is prohibited.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the roads on mainland Spain are toll-free. Toll roads are called ‘carretera de peaje’. On maps and road signs, all toll roads have to include a letter P after the road type. The methods of payment accepted may vary depending on the road, but most will accept cash. Regardless of the region, the average estimated price is €9.5 ($11.25) per 100km. See the official Spanish toll road website for prices and more information.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Aizkorri-Aratz National Park. Located in the neighboring Basque country, Aizkorri-Aratz is one of the most impressive national parks in northern Spain. Made up of high peaks, deep gorges, and old forests, it is both a climber and a nature lover’s paradise. There are many hiking and climbing opportunities, and it’s possible to stay in a mountain hut. Located about 110km (68 miles) northwest of Pamplona, the national park can be reached in less than two hours.
- San Sebastian. Known as Donostia in Basque, this coastal city is one of the most picturesque places in Spain. San Sebastian is home to well-preserved architecture, interesting museums, great restaurants, and scenic beaches. Little nearby towns like Hondarribia are also worth a visit. Located just 83km (51 miles) north of Pamplona, San Sebastian can be reached in one hour.
- Logroño. Often overlooked in favor of more famous neighboring cities, the capital of the small La Rioja region can be a great place to visit. Logroño is home to many beautiful churches, the House of Sciences Museum, as well as numerous bodegas and vineyards (even if you’re driving and cannot taste the local wines, it can still be very fun to learn about the winemaking process and history). After visiting Logroño, you can drive to the nearby town of Enciso which has some of the most impressive dinosaur footprints in Europe. Located 85km (53 miles) southwest of Pamplona, Logroño can be reached in one hour.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Pamplona is the Fiat 500, although many travelers also go for the Volkswagen Polo and the Fiat Panda. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- Zaragoza. The capital of Aragon is located halfway between Bilbao and Barcelona and has plenty of landmarks and attractions. These include two impressive cathedrals, an old Moorish castle, and the Caesaraugusta route which allows visitors to explore the old Roman sites of the city. With a rental car, the majestic Spanish Pyrenees are also within reach. Zaragoza is 180km (112 miles) south of Pamplona and can be reached in about two hours.
- Barcelona. Spain’s second-largest city and the capital of Catalonia, Barcelona has more landmarks than it’s possible to name, but La Rambla, Sagrada Familia and other works by Antoni Gaudi, and the Gothic Quarter should be on the to-visit list of any traveler. Many beautiful beaches and stunning nature are also near the city. Located 485km (300 miles) southeast of Pamplona, Barcelona can be reached in five hours.
- Cantabria. One of the least visited regions of Spain, Cantabria is something of a hidden gem. Those who do venture to the northern province can discover cave systems with some of the oldest cave paintings in the world, amazing surfing spots, large national parks, and its pretty and sophisticated capital, Santander. Located 250km (155 miles) northwest of Pamplona, Santander can be reached in 2 hours and 40 minutes.
Car Rental Prices in Pamplona
- Station wagons - from $67 per day
- Large cars - from $33 per day
- Medium cars - from $25 per day
- Small cars - from $17 per day
- SUVs - from $42 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Follow these tips to land a great rental car in Pamplona:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Pamplona is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 59% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 75% cheaper than renting a vehicle in July. Come visit Navarre in early springtime!
Top 19 Cities near Pamplona
Malaga Car Rentals from $1.40 per day720.2 km / 447.5 miles away
Barcelona Car Rentals from $10.56 per day348.7 km / 216.6 miles away
317.2 km / 197.1 miles away
Alicante Car Rentals from $2.93 per day507.1 km / 315.1 miles away
Valencia Car Rentals from $6.14 per day377.6 km / 234.6 miles away
Seville Car Rentals from $7.88 per day702.2 km / 436.3 miles away
Bilbao Car Rentals from $7.43 per day118.5 km / 73.6 miles away
Granada Car Rentals from $8.22 per day646.7 km / 401.8 miles away
A Coruña Car Rentals from $20.52 per day550.1 km / 341.8 miles away
Girona Car Rentals from $21.81 per day377.0 km / 234.2 miles away
Santiago de Compostela Car Rentals from $9.53 per day552.0 km / 343.0 miles away
Jerez Car Rentals from $13.90 per day768.6 km / 477.6 miles away
Santander Car Rentals from $17.72 per day191.0 km / 118.7 miles away
Valladolid Car Rentals from $27.81 per day289.2 km / 179.7 miles away
Asturias Car Rentals from $14.75 per day366.6 km / 227.8 miles away
Zaragoza Car Rentals from $18.08 per day137.6 km / 85.5 miles away
Vigo Car Rentals from $21.55 per day575.2 km / 357.4 miles away
Almeria Car Rentals from $21.58 per day661.8 km / 411.2 miles away
Cadiz Car Rentals from $17.63 per day799.4 km / 496.7 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Pamplona
Pamplona Airport Car Rentals from $11.39 per day4.2 km / 2.6 miles away
Bilbao Train Station Car Rentals from $12.73 per day114.7 km / 71.3 miles away
Bilbao Airport Car Rentals from $7.43 per day115.5 km / 71.8 miles away
Zaragoza Train Station Car Rentals from $18.08 per day141.8 km / 88.1 miles away
Burgos Train Station Car Rentals from $25.24 per day171.2 km / 106.4 miles away
Santander Airport Car Rentals from $17.72 per day188.3 km / 117.0 miles away
Santander Train Station Car Rentals from $24.97 per day188.9 km / 117.4 miles away
Valladolid Train Station Car Rentals from $28.01 per day283.7 km / 176.3 miles away
Valladolid Airport Car Rentals from $27.81 per day289.7 km / 180.0 miles away
Reus Airport Car Rentals from $12.40 per day297.8 km / 185.0 miles away
Madrid Torrejon Car Rentals from $29.04 per day301.7 km / 187.5 miles away
Madrid Airport Car Rentals from $6.58 per day303.0 km / 188.3 miles away
Tarragona Train Station Car Rentals from $42.53 per day305.9 km / 190.1 miles away
Madrid Chamartin Train Station Car Rentals from $13.10 per day309.1 km / 192.1 miles away
Madrid Arganda del Rey Car Rentals from $29.04 per day315.3 km / 195.9 miles away
Madrid Atocha Train Station Car Rentals from $13.10 per day315.8 km / 196.2 miles away
Castellon Airport Car Rentals from $26.51 per day323.0 km / 200.7 miles away
Madrid Leganes Car Rentals from $13.10 per day326.5 km / 202.9 miles away
Barcelona Castelldefels Car Rentals from $25.60 per day345.2 km / 214.5 miles away
Barcelona Les Cortes Car Rentals from $27.50 per day350.5 km / 217.8 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Pamplona?
What’s the usual rental length in Pamplona?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Pamplona?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Enterprise||Toyota Aygo||3||1||Small cars|
|Enterprise||Peugeot Partner||4||2||Medium cars|
|Goldcar||Peugeot 108||3||1||Small cars|