Car Rental in Girona
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Girona?
Girona is a fascinating place to explore. Its architecture is a mix of Medieval Spanish, Jewish, and Arabic architecture, and it has plenty to experience in terms of culture and cuisine. With a rental car, you can easily reach the famous Costa Brava beach area to the west, the Catalan Pyrenees to the east, or even visit the French side of the Mediterranean coast which is just across the border.
One-Way Car Rentals in Girona
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Girona and drop off in another city include:
- From Girona to Alicante - 18 offers from US$ 65.75 per day
Top ways to enter Girona
- Girona Airport: Sometimes also called Girona–Costa Brava, it served more than two million travelers in 2018. The airport is a large hub for many low-cost carriers and is especially busy during the summer months when around 20 different airlines fly to and from Girona. Located just 15km (9 miles) south of Girona’s center, the airport can be reached in about 15 minutes.
- Barcelona El Prat Airport: The second-largest in Spain and among the busiest in Europe, Barcelona’s primary airport is a huge aviation hub. A focus city for Vueling, Air Europa, and EasyJet, it also served by tens of other companies. The airport hosts flights to and from destinations in nearly all the countries of Europe as well as in Africa, Asia, and the Americas. Located 125km (77 miles) from Girona, the airport can be reached in 60 to 90 minutes depending on traffic.
- Reus Airport: Reus Airport hosted just over 1 million travelers in 2018, with about 90% of the traffic taking place in the summer months. Popular with low-cost carriers, it connects the region with the United Kingdom, Belgium, Germany, Poland, and other European countries. Located about 200km (125 miles) southwest along the coast from Girona, Reus Airport can be reached in two hours.
- Lleida Airport: Also known as Lleida–Alguire, this small airport in Catalonia’s interior is served by three different airlines that host flights to and from the Balearic Islands and the United Kingdom. Located 240km (149 miles) west of Girona, Lleida Airport can be reached in about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Perpignan Airport: Also called Perpignan–Rivesaltes and Llabanère, this cozy airport serves the southern French city of the same name. As of 2019, it hosts flights to and from other destinations in France as well as in Algeria, Morocco, the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, and Belgium. Perpignan Airport is just 100km (62 miles) north of Girona and can be reached in 1 hour and 15 minutes. Keep in mind, though, that you’ll have to cross an international border, so make sure your rental car provider permits that. An alternative can be to go to Girona by public transportation and picking up a rental car after arriving in the city.
- By rail: If you arrive in Girona by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Girona Railway Station. Located about 1km (0.6 miles) from Girona’s city center, the station is on the Spanish high-speed rail line.
- Located near the Mediterranean coast, Girona has a humid subtropical climate. The average high temperature is 30°C (86°F) in July, the warmest month, and 13°C (56°F) in January. Although July and August are the driest months of the year in Girona, the city, nonetheless, gets noticeably more precipitation than beach destinations in Southern Spain.
- Historically inhabited by ancient Iberians, Romans, and Visigoths, as well as the Moors and Jews, and part of many old kingdoms, Girona has always been a melting pot. A lot of this mixed heritage can still be appreciated in the city’s architecture, festivals, and cuisine. Nowadays, Girona also boasts some great restaurants run by Basques from northern Spain.
Top destinations and activities
- Jewish Old Town. Although most of Girona’s Jews were expelled in 1492 following the issue of the Alhambra Decree, the city’s Jewish quarter, or Call, is one of the best-preserved such areas in Western Europe. Made up of steep climbs, narrow side streets, and imposing stone buildings, it is a fascinating place to explore. Interesting places to visit include the Jewish Heritage Museum, as well as the Nahmanides Studies' Institute dedicated to the Talmudist and scholar Moses ben Nahman who hailed from Girona.
- Banys Arab. Another place reminding of past times and lost inhabitants is Banys Arab, the city’s old bathhouse. Although nowadays it no longer serves its original function, the building has been turned into an interesting museum where you can learn both about the tradition of Arab baths and the history of Girona.
- River Onyar. One of the nicest walks in Girona is along the coast of Onyar, a small river that bisects Girona’s Old Town. Although the river itself is neither too large nor exceptionally beautiful, some of the nicest buildings in the city are located on its shores - if you’ve ever seen a postcard from Girona, it probably came from the riverbank. The bridge crossing the river was designed by Gustave Eiffel.
Traffic and parking
- Speed limits - 50km/h (31mph) in built-up areas, 90km/h (56mph) on most standard roads, 100km/h (62mph) on standard roads that are either one-way roads, roads with more than two lanes for at least one direction of traffic and roads with shoulders more than 1.5m wide, and 120km/h (74mph) on motorways (called autovías in Spain).
- The car’s documentation and proof of insurance have to be inside a vehicle at all times.
- The driver and all passengers are required to wear seatbelts.
- Children up to the age of 12 and measuring less than 135cm traveling on the front seat of a car must be seated in a child restraint system adapted to their size and weight.
- Unnecessary use of audible warning devices (horns) is prohibited.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the roads in the country are toll-free. Toll roads are called ‘Carretera de Peaje’. On maps and road signs, all toll roads include a letter P after the road type. The payment method may vary depending on the road, but most will accept cash. Regardless of the region, the average estimated price is €9.5 ($11.25) per 100km. See the official website for prices and more information.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Costa Brava. One of the most famous coastal areas in Spain, Costa Brava is the perfect place for a beach vacation for those who find Costa del Sol too crowded and neat. Made up of deep bays, rugged cliffs, and impressive coves, “the wild coast” is great for relaxing and doing water sports as well as visiting picturesque fishing towns such as Tossa de Mar, Blanes, or Pal. There are man-made attractions, too, from the ruins of medieval walls and towers in Tossa to Salvador Dali Museum in Figueres. Most places of Costa Brava are within a 30 to 50-minute drive east of Girona.
- Garrotxa Volcanic Park. Made up of volcanic cones, forests, and picturesque villages like Castellfollit de la Roca that are hanging over the cliffs, Garrotxa is a fascinating place to visit. Home to a unique landscape not found anywhere else in northern Spain, it is a great place for a day outdoors. Although the area remains seismically active, the volcano has done no real damage since 1428. About 60km (37 miles) north of Girona, the park can be reached in one hour or less.
- Barcelona. It is basically at an arm’s reach from Girona, but spending just one day there might feel like doing a disservice to this great city. Drive just 100km (62 miles) south along the coast and you’ll be able to see world-famous landmarks such as the Sagrada Familia, Ciutat Vella, and Camp Nou stadium. Decide for yourself if you’d like to go back or stick around longer.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in Girona is the Fiat 500, followed by the Renault Clio and the Ford Fiesta. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- The Pyrenees. With dramatic summits, sparse population, and plenty of wildlife, the Pyrenees mountain range separating Spain from France is a nature lover’s paradise. Here you can go on a long hike between spectacular waterfalls, swim in a glacial lake, and perhaps even spend the night in a wooden mountain hut. Ripoll, a town that can be considered a gateway to the Pyrenees, is just 105km (65 miles) northwest of Girona and can be reached in 1 hour and 15 minutes. It should be noted that while many of the roads crossing the Pyrenees are in good shape, getting a 4WD rental car is still strongly advised to drive in the mountains.
- Andorra. Tucked high in the mountains between France and Spain, away from any large cities, the microstate of Andorra is one of the most fascinating places in Europe. Known for its spectacular scenery and high-class ski resorts, it can also offer tiny historic villages and even the Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley, a wildlife refuge that’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site. About 200km (125 miles) northwest of Girona, Andorra can be reached in just 2 hours and 40 minutes. Since you’ll be crossing an international border, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
- Toulouse. France’s fourth-largest city is located near the Spanish border and is, therefore, a mix of Catalan and French influences. There are plenty of interesting places to visit from Basilique Saint-Sernin, the largest Romanesque church in the world, to Les Abattoirs, a former slaughterhouse that’s been turned into a beautiful art museum, and the Space City, a futuristic science theme park. Located 300km (186 miles) northwest of Girona, Toulouse can be reached in about 3 hours and 20 minutes. Like with Andorra, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit you crossing the international border.
Car Rental Prices in Girona
- Station wagons - from $136 per day
- Large cars - from $122 per day
- Medium cars - from $92 per day
- Vans - from $137 per day
- Premium cars - from $93 per day
- Small cars - from $73 per day
- SUVs - from $102 per day
Follow these tips to land a good rental car in Girona:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Girona is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 74% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Girona
560.1 km / 348.1 miles away
Barcelona Car Rentals from $83.73 per day77.2 km / 48.0 miles away
Malaga Car Rentals from $72.33 per day848.5 km / 527.2 miles away
491.0 km / 305.1 miles away
Valencia Car Rentals from $60.73 per day379.2 km / 235.6 miles away
Seville Car Rentals from $31.18 per day892.2 km / 554.4 miles away
Bilbao Car Rentals from $40.03 per day489.5 km / 304.1 miles away
Granada Car Rentals from $43.03 per day766.9 km / 476.5 miles away
Santander Car Rentals from $58.91 per day564.2 km / 350.6 miles away
A Coruña Car Rentals from $43.53 per day927.3 km / 576.2 miles away
Santiago de Compostela Car Rentals from $45.49 per day923.6 km / 573.9 miles away
Jerez Car Rentals from $47.07 per day950.2 km / 590.4 miles away
Asturias Car Rentals from $45.73 per day741.4 km / 460.7 miles away
Zaragoza Car Rentals from $46.49 per day305.6 km / 189.9 miles away
Figueras Car Rentals from $58.91 per day44.0 km / 27.3 miles away
Oviedo Car Rentals from $40.61 per day723.0 km / 449.2 miles away
Vigo Car Rentals from $45.73 per day940.0 km / 584.1 miles away
Marbella Car Rentals from $57.96 per day890.6 km / 553.4 miles away
Valladolid Car Rentals from $78.59 per day631.2 km / 392.2 miles away
Cadiz Car Rentals from $52.70 per day981.0 km / 609.6 miles away
Top 19 Locations near Girona
Girona Train Station Car Rentals from $46.49 per day0.4 km / 0.2 miles away
Girona Airport Car Rentals from $43.56 per day10.1 km / 6.3 miles away
Figueras Railway Station Car Rentals from $58.91 per day34.0 km / 21.1 miles away
Barcelona Sant Marti Car Rentals from $58.91 per day82.0 km / 51.0 miles away
Barcelona Dreta de l'Eixample Car Rentals from $101.09 per day84.8 km / 52.7 miles away
Barcelona Rambla de Catalunya Car Rentals from $58.91 per day85.2 km / 52.9 miles away
Barcelona Les Cortes Car Rentals from $83.73 per day87.1 km / 54.1 miles away
Barcelona Train Station Car Rentals from $35.97 per day87.5 km / 54.4 miles away
Barcelona Mas Blau Car Rentals from $70.62 per day96.8 km / 60.2 miles away
Barcelona Airport Car Rentals from $26.59 per day97.8 km / 60.8 miles away
Barcelona Castelldefels Car Rentals from $40.38 per day104.2 km / 64.7 miles away
Palencia Railway Station Car Rentals from $58.62 per day141.6 km / 88.0 miles away
Reus Airport Car Rentals from $51.01 per day165.8 km / 103.0 miles away
Castellon Airport Car Rentals from $29.27 per day303.6 km / 188.6 miles away
Zaragoza Train Station Car Rentals from $46.49 per day311.3 km / 193.5 miles away
Castellon Train Station Car Rentals from $58.91 per day327.4 km / 203.4 miles away
Pamplona Airport Car Rentals from $78.41 per day377.3 km / 234.5 miles away
Valencia Train Station Car Rentals from $48.31 per day389.0 km / 241.7 miles away
Valencia Patraix Car Rentals from $58.91 per day390.2 km / 242.5 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Girona?
What’s the usual rental length in Girona?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Girona?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Olimpia Rent a Car||Skoda Fabia||5||2||Small cars|
|Olimpia Rent a Car||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|Olimpia Rent a Car||Citroën C3||5||2||Small cars|
|Leasys||Citroen C1||3||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Seat Ibiza 5d||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Keddy||Toyota Aygo||4||1||Small cars|
|Olimpia Rent a Car||Renault Megane||5||2||Medium cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.