Car Rental in Florida
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Florida?
Florida is a great place for renting a car. From large cities to theme parks, stunning beaches, and nature areas, it is best discovered with the freedom of your own ride.
One-way Car Rentals in Florida
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Florida and drop off in another country:
- From Florida to New York - 18 offers from 89.48 USD per day
- From Florida to Missouri - 28 offers from 109.20 USD per day
- From Florida to Tennessee - 44 offers from 66.36 USD per day
- From Florida to Massachusetts - 46 offers from 89.48 USD per day
- From Florida to Ohio - 15 offers from 65.61 USD per day
Top ways to enter Florida
- Orlando Airport: The busiest airport in Florida, it is a focus city for many leading U.S. airlines.
- Miami Airport: Less than 10 mi (16 km) from downtown Miami, this airport serves countless destinations both in the U.S. and abroad.
- Fort Lauderdale Airport: Also known as Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood, this airport is served by a number of major airlines.
- By land: You can also pick up a car in another state and then drive to Florida. Major airports in nearby states include Atlanta Airport in Georgia, Charlotte Airport in North Carolina, and New Orleans Airport in Louisiana.
Top cities and places to visit
- Miami: Florida’s largest city is one of the most famous beach and party destinations in the U.S., although there is something for every traveler.
- Orlando: Home to Walt Disney World, Orlando is the world capital of theme parks and a famous family travel destination.
- Florida Keys: A stunning tropical archipelago of nearly 2,000 islands, Florida Keys is more relaxed than some of Florida’s mainland beach destinations.
- Everglades National Park: This national park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and home to countless wildlife species. If you get lucky, you can even see some of them on one of the many tours you can take.
- Fort Lauderdale: Sometimes called the Venice of America thanks to its countless canals, Fort Lauderdale is another great beach destination.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental cars in Florida are the Nissan Versa, the Nissan Altima, and the Hyundai Altima.
Driver license requirements
The minimum age at which one cat rent a car in Florida is 21. All rental car companies except Ace and Easirent allow 21-year-olds to rent.
However, those under the age of 25 charged a Young Driver Fee by all rental companies except Zig Zag Rent a Car. This fee varies from $12.99 per day with Clubs Car Rental to $34.99 per day with Sixt.
Those under 25 years of age are also restricted from renting certain classes of cars. In most cases, they are not permitted to rent Luxury and Premium.
American renters are only required to provide a driver's license. Learners permits are not accepted. In addition, some low-cost rental companies require drivers to have held their licenses for at least one year.
International renters with a license in English do not need an International Driving Permit (IDP). Those with licenses that are not in English but in a language that uses an extended version of the Latin alphabet, an IDP is suggested, but not required.
Finally, those with licenses that are written in an alphabet that is not the Latin alphabet are required to present an IDP. Note that they are also required to present their license from their home country, too.
All international renters are also required to show an extra form of identification, usually their passport.
The state of Florida shares a border with the states of Georgia and Alabama. If you plan to begin a long road trip starting in Florida, be sure to choose a rental company that allows their vehicles to be taken to other states. Most low-cost rental companies do not allow their cars to be taken outside of the state of Florida. This includes Ace Rent a Car, Clubs, Green Motion, Easirent, and Routes. Sixt allows renters to travel to Georgia and/or Alabama in addition to Florida. Finally, Advantage, National, Dollar, Thrifty, and Alamo allow their vehicles to travel to any state.
Florida has quite a few toll roads and a way of paying for them that is very important for renters to be aware of. Florida’s Turnpike is the longest toll road in the state of Florida connecting I-75, northwest of Orlando, with Homestead, south of Miami. In the Orlando area, either the Beachline Expressway or the Central Florida Greenway would be of use for traveling between the airport and Disney World or the resorts near it. Yes, you will need to take a toll road to leave the airport.
In South Florida and in addition to Florida’s Turnpike, there are also express lanes on I-95 and I-595 which are usable only with a SunPass transponder (avoid these lanes if your rental does not have one, otherwise you will be charged $25 dollar fee along with other likely fees from the car supplier). The Sawgrass Expressway is another toll road in the area and travelers might use it to connect to I-75 from north of Ft. Lauderdale.
Most of the toll roads in the Ft. Lauderdale and Miami area do not have toll booths but instead, rely on a cashless system. Payment in these cases takes place either by a SunPass transponder or toll-by-plate, a system that captures your license plate number and sends you an invoice in the mail. In some cases, your rental car will have a SunPass transponder. In other cases, there will be a way of using pay-by-plate through your rental contract. Either of these will also incur a fee from the rental car provider. The only alternative is if you have your own SunPass transponder and add the rental vehicle to your account. This is only possible with some rental companies.
Important: If renting from Green Motion, Ace, Clubs, Easirent, Economy Rent a Car, Horsepower, Right Cars, or Routes, keep in mind that they may use a type of transponder that is neither removable nor able to be switched off. This means you will be left with the choice of accepting their toll package or avoiding toll roads altogether. If you decline their package but use a toll road you will be charged exorbitant administrative fees. You will not be able to pay for the tolls yourself with cash (which is possible in the Orlando area) as the cash lanes also have receptors for SunPass.
There are two different types of toll packages that rental companies offer. One is a daily fee (that may or may not be capped for the rental period) for the use of the transponder with the total for the tolls incurred billed to the renter after the rental period concludes. The other is a daily fee that includes unlimited tolls. Unless you plan to use toll roads often, the latter of these types of toll packages will be much more expensive.
Examples of the fees for these packages for specific rental companies are as follows (as of August 2019):
- Green Motion - $12.99 per day plus all tolls incurred
- Ace - $6 plus tolls incurred or $10.99 for unlimited tolls
- Clubs - $7.50 plus tolls incurred or $10.99 for unlimited tolls
- Dollar - $10.49 for unlimited tolls
- Easirent - $15 for unlimited tolls
- Horsepower - $5.95 plus tolls incurred or $15.95 for unlimited tolls
- National - $3.95 plus tolls incurred
- Routes - $11.99 for unlimited tolls
- Sixt - $4.45 plus tolls incurred
- Alamo - $3.95 (capped at $19.75 for the rental period) plus tolls incurred
- Economy - $9.95 for unlimited tolls
- Right Cars- $13.95 plus tolls incurred
- Sixt - $4.45 plus tolls incurred
- Thrifty - $10.49 for unlimited tolls
- Zig Zag - $26.70 for unlimited tolls
If you plan to use the toll package of a rental company, be sure to include that in the final cost when comparing offers.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Florida is an economy, followed by compact and fullsize.
Top driving routes
- Miami - Fort Lauderdale (31 mi / 50 km) The two beach cities are basically part of the same neighborhood, and you can easily travel between them in about 35 minutes.
- Orlando - Miami (244 mi / 393 km) The travel between these two cities is just around three hours, but you’ll pass near the Everglades National Park and the Lake Okeechobee on the way.
- Miami - Tampa (282 mi / 454 km) The distance between Miami and Tampa can be done in four hours, but it will be tempting to take a relaxing break in West Florida beach cities like Fort Myers and Sarasota.
- Miami to the Florida Keys (166 mi / 267 km) No trip to Florida can be complete without making the journey south to the Keys. An archipelago off the southern tip of Florida’s peninsula stretching into the straits of Florida, the Florida Keys is notorious for its beaches.
Car Rental Prices
- Convertibles - from $71 per day
- Large cars - from $50 per day
- Medium cars - from $47 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $108 per day
- Premium cars - from $69 per day
- Small cars - from $46 per day
- SUVs - from $62 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Florida:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Florida is the cheapest in August when renting a car is about 35% cheaper than the yearly average and 45% cheaper than renting a car in July.
Top 20 Most Popular Cities Florida
Car Rental in Orlando from $34.85 per day
Car Rental in Miami from $20.45 per day
Car Rental in Fort Lauderdale from $25.43 per day
Car Rental in Tampa from $27.30 per day
Car Rental in Fort Myers from $19.73 per day
Car Rental in West Palm Beach from $20.57 per day
Car Rental in Jacksonville from $38.01 per day
Car Rental in Sarasota from $38.01 per day
Car Rental in Sanford from $32.29 per day
Car Rental in Clearwater from $38.01 per day
Car Rental in Pensacola from $38.01 per day
Car Rental in Melbourne from $38.01 per day
Car Rental in Daytona Beach from $38.01 per day
Car Rental in Tallahassee from $38.01 per day
Car Rental in Eglin from $38.01 per day
Car Rental in Key West from $38.01 per day
Car Rental in Punta Gorda from $38.01 per day
Car Rental in Gainesville from $38.01 per day
Car Rental in Kissimmee from $29.66 per day
Car Rental in Miami Beach from $20.32 per day
Top 20 Most Popular Locations Florida
Car Rental Orlando Airport from $10.82 per day
Car Rental Miami Airport from $20.45 per day
Car Rental Fort Lauderdale Airport from $25.43 per day
Car Rental at Tampa Airport from $27.30 per day
Car Rental in Fort Myers, Southwest Florida International Airport from $19.73 per day
Car Rental West Palm Beach Airport from $20.57 per day
Car Rental Jacksonville Airport JAX from $38.01 per day
Car Rental at Sarasota–Bradenton Airport from $38.01 per day
Car Rental Sanford Airport from $32.29 per day
Car Rental at St. Pete–Clearwater Airport from $38.01 per day
Car Rental at Pensacola Airport from $38.01 per day
Car Rental at Melbourne International Airport from $38.01 per day
Car Rental at Daytona Beach Airport from $38.01 per day
Car Rental at Tallahassee Airport from $38.01 per day
Car Rental in Eglin, Destin–Fort Walton Beach Airport from $38.01 per day
Car Rental at Key West Airport from $38.01 per day
Car Rental at Punta Gorda Airport from $38.01 per day
Car Rental at Gainesville Regional Airport from $38.01 per day
Car Rental in Miami (Downtown) from $18.05 per day
Car Rental at Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport from $70.07 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Florida?
What’s the average rental length in Florida?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Florida?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Easirent||Toyota Yaris||5||Small cars|
|Easirent||Nissan Altima||4||1||Large cars|
|RightCars||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Easirent||Hyundai Santa Fe||5||2||SUVs|
|RightCars||Nissan Versa||4||3||Medium cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Toyota Corolla||4||1||Large cars|
|Easirent||Nissan Sentra||4||2||Medium cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Kia Rio||4||1||Small cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Toyota Corolla Sedan||4||2||Large cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Nissan Rogue||5||3||SUVs|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 4 Suppliers in Florida in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.6 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email