Car Rental in Fort Myers
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Fort Myers?
Fort Myers is both a tourist destination in its own right and also a gateway to the rest of Southwest Florida.
Southwest Florida is a popular travel destination due to its tropical climate and stunning beaches. Aside from the cities, the barrier islands are great places to visit. Everglades National Park and Big Cypress National Preserve are not far away from the area. As in other places in Florida and the United States, in general, a car is all but essential to get around. Luckily, it is easy to pick up a rental car at the airport and head to your timeshare, condo, or hotel before experiencing all the area has to offer.
One-Way Car Rentals in Fort Myers
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Fort Myers and drop off in another city include:
- From Fort Myers to Fort Lauderdale - 43 offers from $52.61 per day
- From Fort Myers to Miami - 29 offers from $52.61 per day
- From Fort Myers to Punta Gorda - 28 offers from $66.99 per day
Top ways to enter Fort Myers
- Southwest Florida International Airport - The airport serves both Fort Myers and the entire Southwest Florida region. It’s a significant hub for low-cost airlines. Rental cars are readily available at the airport from all major companies.
- Tampa International Airport - The largest airport in West Central Florida is of course its primary entry point. It is just a couple of hour's drive from Fort Myers.
- St. Petersburg Airport - On the other side of Tampa Bay, St. Petersburg Airport is less than 20 miles from Tampa International Airport. The airport is served by regional and low-cost airlines and is, therefore, an incredibly popular entry point to the Tampa Bay area. It’s easy to fly into the airport and reach any destination in the entire metro area.
Though Fort Myers anchors the Southwest Florida area, it is not a particularly large city itself. Nearby Cape Coral, being more residential, has a much larger population. The city is definitely worth a visit, but to be frank, most visit it to visit the beaches and resorts of the area.
Top destinations and activities
- Beaches, beaches, beaches - The primary reason for most travelers to visit Miami is to take in the sun on the area’s luscious beaches. From the see and be seen Miami Beach to the small beach town of Surfside, the Miami area has a beach for every type of traveler. Those with families shouldn’t miss Crandon Beach on Key Biscayne with its shallow and calm waters.
- Ford and Edison Winter Estates - Thomas Eddison first purchased a property in the region. Henry Ford would later purchase an adjacent estate. Now, these have been turned into a museum dedicated to their two famous inventors. The estates also include a botanical garden. Be sure to purchase tickets in advance as currently, the number of daily visitors may be capped.
- The Butterfly Estates - Located in Downtown Fort Myers, the Butterfly Estates is a butterfly conservatory. An excellent destination for all, not only will you get to see a plethora of interesting species of butterflies but also support their conservation. The daily release at 10:30 AM is definitely not to be missed if possible.
Traffic and parking
Parking in downtown Fort Myers is relatively easy and cheap. There are public parking lots, metered spaces, private garages, and valet parking. The public lots and metered spaces are incredibly affordable. The privately run garages are also quite affordable. There are also Zip Zone spots that are free to park in after 5 on weekdays and all day on weekends. So if you can plan to visit downtown after business hours, you won’t have any problems at all.
Elsewhere in the area, parking is likely not hard to find. Make sure to be aware of whether your hotel will charge a fee for parking.
At Fort Myers Beach, public parking is available at $2 an hour during daylight hours every day of the week. See the Fort Myers Beach tourist website for more information. Note that there are private lots, too, but that these may charge exorbitant rates.
Unlike other large cities in Florida, there are no major toll roads in Southwest Florida (at least not yet; some are in the planning stages). However, there are three tolled bridges:
- Cape Coral Bridge
- Midpoint Memorial Bridge
- Sanibel Causeway
Prior to the coronavirus pandemic, it was possible to pay the toll for using these bridges in cash at attended gates. As of April 2021, this option is still suspended. Your options, therefore, included having a SunPass transponder, a local LeeWay transponder, or having a picture taken of your license plate and be billed afterward. For the latter, you should ask your rental car company if they will add additional fees for this.
Of course, with the exception of getting to Sanibel Island, the other two bridges can be avoided by making a detour. Note that if you plan to travel to other areas of Florida, particularly the Orlando or Miami areas, then you may very well need a SunPass transponder to pay for tolls.
Ideas for day trips
- Tampa - The largest city and main hun of West Central Florida is a bustling metropolis of business and tourism and is visited by millions every year. You can enjoy a pro sports game, spend the day at Busch Gardens, or just spend a day on the riverfront! There’s plenty to do in addition to hitting the beaches around it.
- Biscayne National Park - Located south of Miami, the park’s visitor center of the Biscayne National Park is at Convoy Point. While most visit park that is mostly water with their own boat, there is plenty to see and do without renting one. The Biscayne National Park Institute offers numerous guided tours which include some equipment, such as stand-up boards or kayaks, while other equipment can be rented from the park store (e.g., snorkeling gear).
- The Everglades - The heart of the Everglades from a traveler’s point of view is Everglades National Park. Venture southwest from Fort Myers to reach the park. Most of the park is only accessible via boat, but guided tours are available. The park also hosts various trains for hiking or cycling. There only lodging in the park comes in the form of campsites. Note that the park’s operations are heavily curtailed during South Florida’s wet season.
- Fort Lauderdale - Depending on traffic, it only takes 30 minutes to an hour to drive from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale. This city, similarly to F, offers beaches, resorts, and nightlife. A drive down the Strip or a stroll down Las Olas provides many entertainment, shopping, and dining opportunities for travelers.
- Miami - About a two-and-a-half-hour drive from Fort Myers, the Latin American capital of the world. Here you can head to the South Beach area of Miami Beach to see and be seen or to Little Havanna for Cuban-American culture and cuisine. Miami offers travelers numerous opportunities for a welcome break from Ft. Lauderdale’s lovely beaches.
- Orlando - The theme park capital of the world, Orlando hosts over 70 million visitors every year. Just a few hours drive northwest of Ft. Myers. There you can visit the world-famous Disney World, Universal Florida, and SeaWorld theme parks with your family. If alternatively, you are adults traveling alone, you can have a great time at CityWalk, Downtown Disney, or Downtown Orlando. Be careful that your mileage allowance is sufficient to make the trip.
Car Rental Prices in Fort Myers
- Convertibles - from $136 per day
- Large cars - from $101 per day
- Medium cars - from $83 per day
- Vans - from $156 per day
- Premium cars - from $106 per day
- Small cars - from $82 per day
- SUVs - from $118 per day
Top 20 Cities near Fort Myers
Orlando Car Rentals from $40.64 per day215.1 km / 133.6 miles away
Miami Car Rentals from $15.52 per day167.8 km / 104.3 miles away
Fort Lauderdale Car Rentals from $30.55 per day167.8 km / 104.3 miles away
Tampa Car Rentals from $36.13 per day177.6 km / 110.3 miles away
Miami Beach Car Rentals from $29.57 per day182.3 km / 113.3 miles away
West Palm Beach Car Rentals from $50.30 per day165.8 km / 103.0 miles away
Jacksonville Car Rentals from $60.68 per day440.1 km / 273.5 miles away
256.5 km / 159.4 miles away
Sarasota Car Rentals from $61.61 per day124.1 km / 77.1 miles away
Melbourne Car Rentals from $76.87 per day205.8 km / 127.9 miles away
Clearwater Car Rentals from $79.33 per day178.4 km / 110.9 miles away
Kissimmee Car Rentals from $63.03 per day217.4 km / 135.1 miles away
Pensacola Car Rentals from $65.26 per day687.8 km / 427.4 miles away
Eglin Car Rentals from $67.04 per day640.1 km / 397.7 miles away
Punta Gorda Car Rentals from $82.16 per day48.6 km / 30.2 miles away
Naples Car Rentals from $64.81 per day42.7 km / 26.6 miles away
Panama City Car Rentals from $82.16 per day560.5 km / 348.3 miles away
Key West Car Rentals from $59.26 per day220.2 km / 136.8 miles away
Daytona Beach Car Rentals from $69.64 per day301.9 km / 187.6 miles away
Tallahassee Car Rentals from $88.51 per day498.6 km / 309.8 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Fort Myers
Southwest Florida International Airport Car Rentals from $47.83 per day
Punta Gorda Airport Car Rentals from $82.16 per day48.6 km / 30.2 miles away
Sarasota–Bradenton Airport Car Rentals from $61.61 per day124.1 km / 77.1 miles away
Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport Car Rentals from $50.37 per day162.3 km / 100.8 miles away
Palm Beach Int. Airport Car Rentals from $50.30 per day165.8 km / 103.0 miles away
Miami International Airport Car Rentals from $15.52 per day167.8 km / 104.3 miles away
Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood Airport Car Rentals from $30.55 per day167.8 km / 104.3 miles away
Miami Coral Gables Car Rentals from $41.54 per day172.7 km / 107.3 miles away
Tampa Airport Car Rentals from $36.13 per day177.6 km / 110.3 miles away
St. Pete–Clearwater Airport Car Rentals from $79.33 per day178.4 km / 110.9 miles away
Melbourne International Airport Car Rentals from $76.87 per day205.8 km / 127.9 miles away
Buena Vista Palace Hotel Car Rentals from $68.53 per day206.0 km / 128.0 miles away
Orlando Int. Airport Car Rentals from $40.64 per day215.1 km / 133.6 miles away
Key West Airport Car Rentals from $59.26 per day220.2 km / 136.8 miles away
Orlando Sanford Airport Car Rentals from $69.16 per day254.3 km / 158.0 miles away
Daytona Beach Airport Car Rentals from $69.64 per day301.9 km / 187.6 miles away
Gainesville Regional Airport Car Rentals from $59.53 per day354.3 km / 220.2 miles away
Jacksonville Airport Car Rentals from $60.68 per day440.1 km / 273.5 miles away
Tallahassee Airport Car Rentals from $88.51 per day498.6 km / 309.8 miles away
Northwest Florida Beaches Airport Car Rentals from $82.16 per day560.5 km / 348.3 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Fort Myers?
What’s the usual rental length in Fort Myers?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Fort Myers?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||1|
|Popular suppliers||Easirent, Dollar, Thrifty, SIXT, Europcar|
|Popular car categories||SUVs, Large cars, Medium cars, Small cars|
|Lowest price||$51 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Easirent||Toyota Yaris||5||Small cars|
|Easirent||Nissan Sentra||4||2||Medium cars|
|Easirent||Nissan Altima||4||1||Large cars|
|Easirent||Hyundai Santa Fe||5||2||SUVs|
|Easirent||Nissan Titan||5||3||Large cars|
|Thrifty||Ford Focus||3||2||Medium cars|
|Dollar||Ford Focus||3||2||Medium cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.