Car Rental in Belfast
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Belfast?
Long underrated as a destination for tourism, Belfast is finally starting to receive the attention it deserves. This city has everything from fascinating history to beautiful green areas, local markets, and famous pub culture. With a rental car, you can also go on to explore the rest of Northern Ireland and the neighboring Republic of Ireland.
One-Way Car Rentals in Belfast
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Belfast and drop off in another city include:
- From Belfast to Dublin - 80 offers from US$ 40.70 per day
- From Belfast to Cork - 114 offers from US$ 46.49 per day
- From Belfast to London - 27 offers from US$ 56.96 per day
Top ways to enter Belfast
- Belfast International Airport. The busiest airport in Northern Ireland, Belfast International serves more than 6 million passengers every year. The airport is located about 21 km (13 mi) northwest of the city proper.
- Belfast City Airport. Also known as George Best Airport after the famous Northern Irish footballer, the smallest of the two city’s airports is a base for Flybe and is also served by a handful of other airlines. The airport is just 5 km (3 mi) from the city center.
- Dublin Airport. Located on the other side of the border and serving the Republic of Ireland’s capital, Dublin Airport is nonetheless only about 100 minute drive south of Belfast.
Useful city facts
- Although Northern Ireland is geographically separate from the rest of Britain, it has a similar oceanic climate with high and steady precipitation and relatively little temperature changes throughout the year. The average temperature is 15 °C (59 °F) in July and August and 5 °C (41 °F) in January and February.
- Belfast is made up of nine unofficial quarters based on cultural zones. Each of them prides itself on a unique history, local character, and annual events held in them. Some of the more famous one are the Cathedral Quarter, the Titanic Quarter, and the Gaeltacht Quarter.
Top destinations and activities
- Botanical Gardens. Covering 28 acres, the large and beautiful Botanical Gardens is one of the nicest places of Belfast. Its standout attraction is the Palm House which houses many unique tropical plants and animals, including a 400-year-old Xanthorrhoea and even carnivorous flowers.
- Belfast Zoo. Another place for a great day outdoors, Belfast Zoo houses many unique animals, from Asian elephants and Western lowland gorillas to giant anteaters and Jamaican boas. The zoo is located on the slope of Cavehill, a basaltic hill that’s a great natural attraction in itself.
- Ulster Museum. With fascinating collections that include ancient (and more recent) historical artifacts, zoological and botanical specimens, and great exhibits of wildlife art, Ulster Museum offers a fascinating and comprehensive perspective on what Northern Ireland is about. The museum is located in the Botanic Gardens in the southern part of the city.
Traffic and parking tips
- The United Kingdom drives on the left-hand side of the road.
- On-street parking is usually heavily restricted. Never park on a white, double yellow or double red line (stopping on motorways and next to red lines is illegal).
- You are not allowed to use your mobile phone while driving, unless you use a hands-free system.
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 112 km/h (70 mph) on motorways, 112 km/h (70 mph) on dual carriageways, 96 km/h (60 mph) on single carriageways and 48km/h (30 mph) in residential areas and areas with street lightning.
- In England, Wales, and Northern Ireland, the legal alcohol limit is 0.08% for both experienced and novice drivers. Do keep in mind, however, that in Scotland the legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for both experienced and novice drivers. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines, a suspended license, or even imprisonment.
- The insurance and documentation of the car needs to be in it whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The emergency numbers are 999 and 112.
Currently there is only a single toll road in the United Kingdom, the M6 toll in England. You also have to pay a toll for using a number of bridges and tunnels.
As an alternative to the M6 around Birmingham, the M6toll is a 43 km (27 mi) long portion of the road, also known as the Birmingham North Relief Road (BNRR), that relieves congestion on the M6 itself. There are toll gates where you can pay by either cash or credit card. As of March 2019, the price is £6.40 for using the toll road from Monday to Friday (from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.), £5.30 for using the toll road on Saturday or Sunday (from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.), and £4.10 for using the toll road at night time on any day (from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.). Find out more on the M6 Toll official website.
Find out more about toll roads in the United Kingdom on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Ulster Folk and Transport Museums. Located in the nearby town of Cultra, these two museums are both worth a visit. The Transport museum has interesting exhibits of steam locomotives, vertical take-off aeroplanes, and horse-drawn trams, while the folk museum offers a full re-creation of an old Irish town.
- Carrickfergus. Famous for its beautiful Norman castle, Carrickfergus is a town with a truly historic feel. Its atmosphere can be soaked up by either walking its narrow streets or going on a stroll along its beautiful marina. The town is just a 30 minute drive north of Belfast.
- Killough. A small seaside village, Killough is home not only to tranquil beaches, but also to Ballynoe Stone Circle, a late-Neolithic monument that is something like Northern Ireland’s answer to Stonehenge. From Belfast, it is only an hour’s drive south.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car types in Belfast are compact, economy, and mini. The most popular rental car is the Renault Clio. Travelers also love the Vauxhall Corsa and the Hyundai i30.
- Derry. Also known as Londonderry, Northern Ireland’s second city boasts historic sites dating back nearly 1500 years, as well as a number of more recent churches, museums, and murals. Derry is about 112 km (70 mi) northwest of Belfast near the border with the Republic of Ireland.
- Dublin. The capital of the Republic of Ireland is truly a fun place to visit. It boasts many tourist attractions, fascinating architecture, and many famous past and present inhabitants. Easy to reach from Belfast, it is only about two hour’s drive south along the coast.
- Galway. Located on the coast of the Atlantic, this university city is famous for its nightlife, but equally important are its historic sites, art spaces, and role as a modern center for the Irish language and culture. It is about four hours drive from Belfast to Galway, but in this case, the long distance is well worth the time.
Car Rental Prices in Belfast
- Station wagons - from $127 per day
- Large cars - from $65 per day
- Medium cars - from $75 per day
- Premium cars - from $78 per day
- Small cars - from $47 per day
- SUVs - from $61 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are things you can do to get a good car rental deal in Belfast. Start with these:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Belfast is the cheapest in September when renting a car is nearly 50% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Belfast
London Car Rentals from $33.42 per day513.5 km / 319.1 miles away
Edinburgh Car Rentals from $13.76 per day216.8 km / 134.7 miles away
Manchester Car Rentals from $21.71 per day274.0 km / 170.2 miles away
Glasgow Car Rentals from $23.95 per day171.1 km / 106.3 miles away
Birmingham Car Rentals from $20.59 per day363.5 km / 225.9 miles away
Inverness Car Rentals from $49.69 per day344.3 km / 213.9 miles away
Luton Car Rentals from $20.59 per day476.4 km / 296.0 miles away
Leeds Car Rentals from $24.89 per day297.5 km / 184.9 miles away
Bristol Car Rentals from $21.71 per day417.1 km / 259.2 miles away
Liverpool Car Rentals from $15.36 per day243.8 km / 151.5 miles away
East Midlands Car Rentals from $26.27 per day358.9 km / 223.0 miles away
Newcastle Car Rentals from $25.43 per day271.8 km / 168.9 miles away
Cardiff Car Rentals from $30.61 per day396.1 km / 246.1 miles away
Bolton Car Rentals from $45.34 per day254.2 km / 157.9 miles away
Southampton Car Rentals from $25.03 per day505.7 km / 314.2 miles away
Bournemouth Car Rentals from $28.44 per day505.7 km / 314.2 miles away
Leicester Car Rentals from $19.49 per day382.1 km / 237.4 miles away
Aberdeen Car Rentals from $18.34 per day367.3 km / 228.3 miles away
Exeter Car Rentals from $23.16 per day462.5 km / 287.4 miles away
Chelmsford Car Rentals from $24.89 per day531.3 km / 330.2 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Belfast
George Best Belfast City Airport Car Rentals from $13.43 per day6.2 km / 3.9 miles away
Belfast Cruise Port Car Rentals from $17.95 per day6.4 km / 4.0 miles away
Belfast International Airport Car Rentals from $13.43 per day19.3 km / 12.0 miles away
Isle of Man Airport Car Rentals from $41.22 per day102.1 km / 63.4 miles away
Prestwick Airport Car Rentals from $34.52 per day134.7 km / 83.7 miles away
Holyhead Port Car Rentals from $33.78 per day165.3 km / 102.7 miles away
Glasgow Airport Car Rentals from $19.47 per day172.6 km / 107.2 miles away
Glasgow Central Train Station Car Rentals from $43.16 per day177.9 km / 110.5 miles away
Edinburgh Airport Car Rentals from $13.76 per day223.0 km / 138.6 miles away
Edinburgh Waverley Train Station Car Rentals from $20.59 per day231.9 km / 144.1 miles away
Liverpool Airport Car Rentals from $15.36 per day245.5 km / 152.6 miles away
Manchester Airport Car Rentals from $21.71 per day276.2 km / 171.6 miles away
Newcastle Airport Car Rentals from $25.43 per day277.3 km / 172.3 miles away
Dundee Airport Car Rentals from $42.66 per day277.6 km / 172.5 miles away
Leeds Bradford Airport Car Rentals from $30.12 per day289.7 km / 180.0 miles away
Inverness Train Station Car Rentals from $26.52 per day339.5 km / 211.0 miles away
Doncaster Sheffield Airport Car Rentals from $25.42 per day345.4 km / 214.6 miles away
Inverness Airport Car Rentals from $49.69 per day349.7 km / 217.3 miles away
Birmingham New Street Train Station Car Rentals from $30.65 per day355.3 km / 220.8 miles away
East Midlands Airport Car Rentals from $26.27 per day360.8 km / 224.2 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Belfast?
What’s the usual rental length in Belfast?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Belfast?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Easirent||Ford Fiesta||5||2||Small cars|
|SIXT||Toyota Aygo||2||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Easirent||Fiat 500||3||2||Small cars|
|SIXT||Kia Picanto||5||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|Easirent||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|
|SIXT||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|SIXT||Hyundai I30||5||1||Medium cars|