Car Hire in Belfast
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Offers
Why hire a car in Belfast?
Long underrated as a destination for tourism, Belfast is finally starting to receive the attention it deserves. This city has everything from fascinating history to beautiful green areas, local markets, and famous pub culture. If you hire a car, you can also use the city as a hub for exploring the rest of Northern Ireland.
One-way Car Hire in Belfast
The most popular one-way car hire options for pick up in Belfast and drop off in another city include:
- From Belfast to Dublin - 80 offers from £ 28.30 per day
- From Belfast to Cork - 114 offers from £ 32.33 per day
- From Belfast to London - 27 offers from £ 39.61 per day
Top ways to enter Belfast
- Belfast International Airport. The busiest airport in Northern Ireland, Belfast International serves more than 6 million passengers every year. The airport is located about 21 km (13 mi) northwest of the city proper.
- Belfast City Airport. Also known as George Best Airport after the famous Northern Irish footballer, the smallest of the two city’s airports is a base for Flybe and is also served by a handful of other airlines. The airport is just 5 km (3 mi) from the city center.
- Dublin Airport. Located on the other side of the border and serving the Republic of Ireland’s capital, Dublin Airport is nonetheless only about 100 minute drive south of Belfast.
Useful city facts
- Although Northern Ireland is geographically separate from the rest of Britain, it has a similar oceanic climate with high and steady precipitation and relatively little temperature changes throughout the year. The average temperature is 15 °C (59 °F) in July and August and 5 °C (41 °F) in January and February.
- Belfast is made up of nine unofficial quarters based on cultural zones. Each of them prides itself on a unique history, local character, and annual events held in them. Some of the more famous one are the Cathedral Quarter, the Titanic Quarter, and the Gaeltacht Quarter.
Top destinations and activities
- Botanical Gardens. Covering 28 acres, the large and beautiful Botanical Gardens is one of the nicest places of Belfast. Its standout attraction is the Palm House which houses many unique tropical plants and animals, including a 400-year-old Xanthorrhoea and even carnivorous flowers.
- Belfast Zoo. Another place for a great day outdoors, Belfast Zoo houses many unique animals, from Asian elephants and Western lowland gorillas to giant anteaters and Jamaican boas. The zoo is located on the slope of Cavehill, a basaltic hill that’s a great natural attraction in itself.
- Ulster Museum. With fascinating collections that include ancient (and more recent) historical artifacts, zoological and botanical specimens, and great exhibits of wildlife art, Ulster Museum offers a fascinating and comprehensive perspective on what Northern Ireland is about. The museum is located in the Botanic Gardens in the southern part of the city.
Traffic and parking tips
- The United Kingdom drives on the left-hand side of the road.
- On-street parking is usually heavily restricted. Never park on a white, double yellow or double red line (stopping on motorways and next to red lines is illegal).
- You are not allowed to use your mobile phone while driving, unless you use a hands-free system.
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 112 km/h (70 mph) on motorways, 112 km/h (70 mph) on dual carriageways, 96 km/h (60 mph) on single carriageways and 48km/h (30 mph) in residential areas and areas with street lightning.
- In England, Wales, and Northern Ireland, the legal alcohol limit is 0.08% for both experienced and novice drivers. Do keep in mind, however, that in Scotland the legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for both experienced and novice drivers. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines, a suspended license, or even imprisonment.
- The insurance and documentation of the car needs to be in it whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The emergency numbers are 999 and 112.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Ulster Folk and Transport Museums. Located in the nearby town of Cultra, these two museums are both worth a visit. The Transport museum has interesting exhibits of steam locomotives, vertical take-off aeroplanes, and horse-drawn trams, while the folk museum offers a full re-creation of an old Irish town.
- Carrickfergus. Famous for its beautiful Norman castle, Carrickfergus is a town with a truly historic feel. Its atmosphere can be soaked up by either walking its narrow streets or going on a stroll along its beautiful marina. The town is just a 30 minute drive north of Belfast.
- Killough. A small seaside village, Killough is home not only to tranquil beaches, but also to Ballynoe Stone Circle, a late-Neolithic monument that is something like Northern Ireland’s answer to Stonehenge. From Belfast, it is only an hour’s drive south.
Most popular hire types and cars
The most hired car types in Belfast are compact, economy, and mini. The most popular car is the Renault Clio. Travelers also love the Vauxhall Corsa and the Hyundai i30.
- Derry. Also known as Londonderry, Northern Ireland’s second city boasts historic sites dating back nearly 1500 years, as well as a number of more recent churches, museums, and murals. Derry is about 112 km (70 mi) northwest of Belfast near the border with the Republic of Ireland.
- Galway. Located on the coast of the Atlantic, this university city is famous for its nightlife, but equally important are its historic sites, art spaces, and role as a modern center for the Irish language and culture. It is about four hours drive from Belfast to Galway, but in this case, the long distance is well worth the time.
Car Hire Prices in Belfast
- Station wagons - starting at £ 88 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 45 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 52 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 54 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 33 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 42 per day
How can I save money on my hire car?
There are things you can do to get a good car hire deal in Belfast. Start with these:
- Compare the rates of different car providers
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Belfast is the cheapest in September when hiring a car is nearly 50% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Belfast
509.1 km / 316.3 miles away
Edinburgh starting at £ 14.32 per day225.6 km / 140.2 miles away
267.3 km / 166.1 miles away
Glasgow starting at £ 30.01 per day171.5 km / 106.6 miles away
Birmingham starting at £ 14.32 per day364.4 km / 226.4 miles away
Luton starting at £ 31.18 per day475.3 km / 295.3 miles away
Inverness starting at £ 34.55 per day343.8 km / 213.6 miles away
Bristol starting at £ 15.10 per day418.0 km / 259.8 miles away
Leeds starting at £ 17.30 per day298.2 km / 185.3 miles away
Liverpool starting at £ 10.68 per day244.7 km / 152.0 miles away
Newcastle starting at £ 17.69 per day272.1 km / 169.1 miles away
366.5 km / 227.7 miles away
Cardiff starting at £ 21.29 per day396.9 km / 246.6 miles away
Southampton starting at £ 17.41 per day506.6 km / 314.8 miles away
Bolton starting at £ 31.53 per day254.9 km / 158.4 miles away
East Midlands starting at £ 18.27 per day359.7 km / 223.5 miles away
Bournemouth starting at £ 19.77 per day506.6 km / 314.8 miles away
Leicester starting at £ 13.55 per day383.0 km / 238.0 miles away
Brighton starting at £ 16.12 per day571.9 km / 355.3 miles away
Chelmsford starting at £ 17.30 per day532.2 km / 330.7 miles away
Top 17 Destinations around Belfast
Belfast Cruise Port starting at £ 12.48 per day
George Best Belfast City Airport starting at £ 9.34 per day0.9 km / 0.6 miles away
Belfast International Airport starting at £ 9.34 per day21.9 km / 13.6 miles away
Isle of Man Airport starting at £ 28.66 per day101.3 km / 62.9 miles away
Glasgow Airport starting at £ 13.54 per day166.3 km / 103.3 miles away
Holyhead Port starting at £ 23.49 per day167.2 km / 103.9 miles away
Edinburgh Airport starting at £ 9.57 per day216.6 km / 134.6 miles away
Edinburgh Waverley Railway Station starting at £ 14.32 per day225.6 km / 140.2 miles away
Liverpool Airport starting at £ 10.68 per day244.7 km / 152.0 miles away
Dundee Airport starting at £ 29.66 per day271.2 km / 168.5 miles away
Newcastle Airport starting at £ 17.69 per day272.1 km / 169.1 miles away
Manchester Airport starting at £ 15.10 per day274.8 km / 170.7 miles away
Leeds Bradford Airport starting at £ 20.94 per day286.8 km / 178.2 miles away
Doncaster Sheffield Airport starting at £ 17.68 per day342.9 km / 213.1 miles away
Inverness Airport starting at £ 34.55 per day343.8 km / 213.6 miles away
Birmingham New Street Railway Station starting at £ 21.31 per day355.1 km / 220.7 miles away
East Midlands Airport starting at £ 18.27 per day359.7 km / 223.5 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in Belfast?
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Belfast?
What month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Belfast?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|SIXT||Toyota Aygo||2||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Kia Picanto||5||1||Small cars|
|Easirent||Ford Fiesta||5||2||Small cars|
|Easirent||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Kia Picanto||5||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Hyundai I30||5||1||Medium cars|
|SIXT||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Easirent||Fiat 500||3||2||Small cars|