Car Rental in the Azores Islands
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in the Azores Islands?
The Azores Islands is a fascinating place to travel around by car. While the islands are small, each of them is unique in history and nature, holding endless hidden gems to discover. The hospitality of locals and the delicious cuisine help as well.
Top ways to enter Azores Islands
- Ponta Delgada Airport: Also known as Ponta Delgada-João Paulo II Airport, it handled about two million travelers in 2019 which makes it by far the busiest airport in the archipelago. The only Azorean Airport with a large number of year-round flights, it provides connections with the United Kingdom, Germany, the USA, and other countries. Ponta Delgada Airport is 5km (3.1 miles) west of the city of Ponta Delgada and can be reached in about ten minutes by car.
- Lajes Airport: Located on the island of Terceira, Lajes is the second-busiest airport in the Azores. In addition to providing flights to and from other islands of the archipelago, there are also air connections with destinations like Lisbon, London, Boston, Toronto, and Amsterdam. Lajes Airport is located 4km (2.5 miles) north of Praia da Vitoria and 20km (12.5 miles) northeast of Angra do Heroísmo, the two most popular tourism destinations on Terceira.
- Pico Airport: Serving the island of the same name, Pico Airport offers flights to and from São Miguel, Terceira, and Lisbon. Pico Airport is located 9km (5.6 miles) northeast of Madalena, the main settlement of Pico, and 16km (10 miles) north of Mount Pico, the highest peak in Portugal.
- Horta Airport: Another small Azorean airport, it serves the island of Faial and handles about a quarter of a million travelers every year. Horta Airport offers flights to and from other islands of the archipelago, as well as Lisbon. The airport is located about 9km (5.6 miles) west of Horta, the main town of Faial, and can be reached in ten minutes.
- Santa Maria Airport: Serving the southernmost island of the Azores, Santa Maria Airport has year-round flights to and from Ponta Delgada and Lisbon. The airport is on the western coast of the island, about 5km (3.1 miles) from Vila do Porto, the largest town on the island.
- Corvo Airport, Flores Airport, Graciosa Airport, São Jorge Airport: Although these four Azorean airports serving their namesake islands are working, as of March 2020 they offer flights only to other Azorean destinations and provide no connections with the mainland Portugal or any other country.
- By sea: There is a frequent network of ferries operating in the Azores and any island of the archipelago can be reached from any other island (albeit sometimes it requires a connecting trip). The ferry service is much more frequent during the tourism season which lasts approximately from mid-April until October. On the other hand, the demand for tickets is also much higher during the tourism season, so they should be booked in advance. Ferry service can sometimes be canceled or delayed due to bad weather. Most ferries companies permit bringing a vehicle on board if a special ticket is purchased; some, however, do not, so you should look it up in advance. Regardless of the ferry company’s policy, you should also ask your rental car provider whether they permit you to bring a rental car on ship.
Top cities and places to visit
- São Miguel. By far the largest and most populous of the islands, São Miguel is home to more than half the population of all the archipelago. The island is modern and developed - its main settlement, Ponta Delgada, can safely be called the only large city of the Azores - but there’s also plenty of impressive peaks, hot lakes, and other natural attractions for visitors to discover.
- Pico. The island of Pico is defined by its most impressive feature, the mountain of the same name. Standing at 2,350 m (7,710 ft), Mount Pico is a dormant volcano that’s more than twice the size of any other peak of the Azores. But there’s even more about this island - tourist-beloved attractions include the Whale Museum and the Wine Museum.
- Terceira. The island of Terceira is home to Angra do Heroismo, arguably the most famous historic attraction in the Azores. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, the town has historic buildings like the city customs house, Manor of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios, and Fort of Negrito, as well as a number of interesting museums.
- São Jorge. Like all the other Azorean islands, little São Jorge is home to impressive nature. Travelers and hikers love to explore its mighty volcanic complexes, climb the dramatic cliffs, and drive the steep mountain roads. The island’s cuisine, largely consisting of locally grown produce, is also not to be missed.
- Faial. The main attraction of the island of Faial is a caldera or crater of the same name - located in the center of the island, it offers truly otherworldly views. Other attractions of Faial include many opportunities for doing water sports, while the bravest of visitors can even try diving with sharks during certain months of the year.
- Graciosa. The second-smallest of the Azores, Graciosa is nonetheless home to truly stunning nature - the island is made up of the impressive Caldeira Massif, sandy beaches, and wild landscapes dotted with tiny historic villages.
- Santa Maria. Both the southernmost and easternmost of the islands, Santa Maria is home to picturesque landscapes, sandy beaches, and tiny, whitewashed villages. Influenced by the nearby Sahara, the island has pleasantly warm and dry weather. One of the least visited islands of the Azores, this is the perfect place for a relaxing, tranquil vacation.
- Flores. The westernmost of the Azores, Flores is located within the North American tectonic plate. The island is practically in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, located some 2,300km (1,430 miles) east of Newfoundland in Canada and 1,900km (1,180 miles) west of Lisbon. The unique geographical location is not the only reason to visit Flores - it is also a prime hiking and ecotourism destination.
- Corvo. The neighboring island of Flores, the much smaller Corvo is home to less than 500 inhabitants. Despite its small size and remote location, the island is a lovely place to visit thanks to its beautiful beaches, green canyons, and relaxed atmosphere.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in the Azores is the Ford Fiesta, followed by the Renault Twingo and the Opel Corsa.
The Azores is an island archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean and belongs to Portugal. It has no land borders.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in the Azores is Economy. Mini and Compact are also picked a lot.
Top driving routes
- Ponta Delgada - Mosteiros (31 km / 19 mi) A short, but picturesque ride along the western coast of the island of Sao Miguel.
- Velas - Topo (48 km / 30 mi) While going between these two towns will take less than an hour, you will cross most of Sao Jorge Island on the way.
- Lajes - São Sebastião (16 km / 10 mi) These two towns are next-door neighbors, and both of them are a great starting point for further exploring Terceira Island.
Car Rental Prices
- Convertibles - from $76 per day
- Station wagons - from $61 per day
- Large cars - from $75 per day
- Medium cars - from $63 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $108 per day
- Premium cars - from $144 per day
- Small cars - from $37 per day
- SUVs - from $98 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in the Azores:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Research your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting the Azores is the cheapest in January when renting a car is almost 40% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 9 Most Popular Cities in the Azores Islands
Car Rental in Ponta Delgada from $11.96 per day
Car Rental in Madalena from $35.78 per day
Car Rental in Santa Cruz das Flores from $38.33 per day
Car Rental in Praia da Vitoria from $20.56 per day
Car Rental in Vila do Porto from $38.33 per day
Car Rental in Horta from $38.33 per day
Car Rental in Velas from $38.33 per day
Car Rental in Angra do Heroismo from $41.54 per day
Car Rental in Furnas from $22.45 per day
Top 17 Most Popular Locations in the Azores Islands
Car Rental at Ponta Delgada Airport from $11.96 per day
Car Rental at Ponta Delgada Port from $17.00 per day
Car Rental at Pico Airport from $35.78 per day
Car Rental in Ponta Delgada (Downtown) from $11.96 per day
Car Rental at Santa Cruz das Flores Airport from $38.33 per day
Car Rental at Lajes Air Base Terceira from $20.56 per day
Car Rental in Ponta Delgada with Delivery from $18.13 per day
Car Rental at Santa Maria Airport from $38.33 per day
Car Rental at Sao Jorge Airport from $38.33 per day
Car Rental at Horta Airport from $38.33 per day
Car Rental at Angra do Heroismo Airport from $41.54 per day
Car Rental in Angra do Heroismo (Downtown) from $20.56 per day
Car Rental at Horta Port from $38.33 per day
Car Rental in Velas (Downtown) from $38.33 per day
Car Rental in Madalena (Downtown) from $35.78 per day
Car Rental in Horta (Downtown) from $38.33 per day
Car Rental in Furnas (Downtown) from $22.45 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in the Azores Islands?
What’s the average rental length in the Azores Islands?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in the Azores Islands?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Ilha Verde||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Ilha Verde||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Wayzor||VW Up||5||1||Small cars|
|Wayzor||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Wayzor||VW Polo||5||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Wayzor||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Renault Clio||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 16 Suppliers in the Azores Islands in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.5 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email