Car Rental in Praia da Vitoria
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Praia da Vitoria?
Terceira is a great place to visit. The island is home to large protected areas, volcanic formations, and Angra do Heroísmo, a historical city which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Although Terceira has plenty to enjoy, you can travel between any two points on the island within an hour or less if you get a rental car. After enjoying Terceira, you can do some island-hopping and visit its Azorean sisters.
One-Way Car Rentals in Praia da Vitoria
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Praia da Vitoria and drop off in another city include:
- From Praia da Vitoria to Angra do Heroismo - 22 offers from US$ 12.71 per day
Top ways to enter Praia da Vitoria
- Lajes Airport: The only airport on Terceira, Lajes might be small, but it is well-connected. In addition to flights to and from other islands in the Azores, mainland Portugal, Spain, and the Netherlands, it also hosts flights to a number of cities in the USA and Canada, including a connection with Oakland in California. The airport handles about 650,000 travelers every year. Located 20km (12 miles) northeast of Angra do Heroismo, it can be reached in about 20 minutes.
- By ferry: It is possible to fly to another international airport on one of the nearby Azores islands and then take a ferry to Terceira. Some of the islands are directly connected to Pico while from others, you might need to take two boat rides. Some airports near Terceira include São Jorge Airport on São Jorge, Graciosa Airport on Graciosa, and Ponta Delgada João Paulo II Airport on São Miguel. It is important to check the ferry schedule in advance as the services are much more frequent during the spring and summer months.
Useful city facts
- Terceira enjoys a mediterranean climate with humid subtropical and oceanic influences. The average high temperature is 25°C (77°F) in July, the warmest month, and 16°C (61°F) in January and February, the coldest months. Terceira is also one of the driest of the Azores islands, having an average of only 29mm of precipitation in July. It gets significantly more humid in autumn and winter, with an especially large increase every December.
- A volcanic island that is still active to this day (although there have been no eruptions since 2000), the island of Terceira is located over the Terceira rift, a meeting place of the European, North American, and African tectonic plates. The island has many impressive volcanic landscapes such as the Cinco Picos Volcanic Complex, Santa Barbara Volcanic Complex, and Guilherme Moniz Volcanic Complex, some of which can be accessed by visitors.
Top destinations and activities
- Angra do Heroismo. Angra do Heroismo is often considered the most beautiful city in the Azores. The city was established in 1478, and during the war time in the early 19th century, Angra even served as the capital city of Portugal. Nowadays, the city is famous for the Cathedral of the Holy Saviour, one of Portugal’s most impressive churches, and has plenty of other historic attractions - all of Angra do Heroismo is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The largest settlement and the center of Terceira, it is located on the south-central coast and can be easily reached from anywhere else on the island.
- Algar do Carvão. A deep lava cave, Algar do Carvão was only discovered in 1893 but was created thousands of years ago. The cave is very steep and not easily accessible. And though you need to book a tour, the otherworldly beauty of the cave and mineral formations of stalactites located inside it make it a unique place to visit. Located some 11km (6.8 miles) north of Angra do Heroismo, the cave takes 15 minutes to reach.
- Underwater Archaeological Museum. Over centuries, many ships have found their sad end in the restless waters of Angra do Heroismo. The museum, opened in 2006, gives visitors a chance to explore the wrecks and anchors as well as the surprising marine life that have found home among the sunken ships. A real underwater gallery available for those ready to snorkel, it is one of the most unique museums of the Azores. Known as Parque Arqueológico Subaquático da Baía de Angra do Heroísmo, it is located near the Terceira Mar Hotel in Angra do Heroismo. Besides the museum, there are many other scuba diving and snorkeling opportunities and schools on Terceira.
Traffic and parking tips
- Like the rest of Portugal, Azores drive on the right-hand side of the road.
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 90km/h (55 mph) on most motorways, 50km/h (31 mph) inside urban and built-up areas, and 20km/h (12 mph) inside the most so called ‘coexistence zones’ or areas where cars share the road with passengers. Fines for speeding are hefty.
- You can only enter the roundabout after giving way to cars already on it.
- The car’s documentation and proof of insurance must always be inside the vehicle.
- The Azores experience a lot of rain and fog which can significantly reduce visibility, so drive extra carefully during bad weather. The rain can also impact the quality of some rural roads and roads inside nature and protected areas.
- Azores have a lot of cattle (the islands are from where most of the Portugal’s milk comes from). Watch out for animals crossing the roads, especially in rural areas.
- Drivers can only use a mobile phone if it is a hands free or an earpiece.
- There are many viewpoints in the Azores which are a great way to take in the stunning scenery. These are called ‘miradouro’ in Portuguese - if you see the sign for one and have time on your hands, make sure to follow it!
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.2 for novice drivers. Not respecting the limit can lead to large fines, a licence ban, and even imprisonment.
- The vast majority of rental cars in the Azores only have automatic transmission.
- Safety cameras are in use.
- When parking in a street, your car must be parked facing the direction of travel.
- The emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
There are no toll roads on Terceira, but some motorways are subject to fees on mainland Portugal. See Portugal’s official toll road site for maps and prices.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Nature Park of Terceira. A large protected area, the Nature Park of Terceira takes up more than 20% of the island’s territory. The park consists of a surprising variety of different landscapes that include forests, a long shoreline, and even volcanic craters. Easily accessed with a rental car from anywhere on the island, the Nature Park of Terceira is a must-visit place for any lover of outdoors.
- Praia da Vitória. A town of only 20,000 people, the Beach of Victory punches way above its size when it comes to both man-made and natural attractions. It is home to beautiful churches, fountains, and more than 10 forts. Praia de Vitoria’s many restaurants are famous for their seafood dishes as well as local cheese and wine. Praia da Vitoria also has some of Terceira’s nicest beaches, and many companies offer scuba diving and snorkeling. Located about 23km (14.3 miles) northeast of Angra, Praia da Vitoria can be reached in about 25 minutes.
- Biscoitos. A small and picturesque village on the northern coast of the island, Biscoitos has a large number of both man-made and natural rock pools that are connected to the ocean. If the weather is nice, nothing beats enjoying your day by swimming in one. The village is also famous for its unique colorful chapels and wine museum - if your friend is driving, you can even sample the local production. Located just 16km (10miles) from Angra, Biscoitos can be reached in 20 minutes.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car on Terceira is the Ford Fiesta, although many travelers also go for the Citroen C1 and the Renault Clio. The most popular rental car types are economy, compact, and mini.
- São Miguel. The largest of the nine Azores sisters, Ilha Verde, or the green island, has plenty to offer. São Miguel is home to Ponta Delgada, the only real city of the archipelago, but also has amazing hiking trails that let visitors explore the island’s volcanic lakes, craters, and woodlands. Other attractions and activities include horseback riding, visiting the natural hot springs, or going on a tour of local farms which produce everything from pineapples to tea, wine, and brandy.
- São Jorge. Despite its central location, São Jorge is one of the least visited of the Azores Islands. The secludedness gives the island a more wild and rugged feel that is only strengthened by its dramatic coastal cliffs and calderas. Those who do make it to São Jorge love the island’s wooden churches, unique cuisine, and simply being out in nature.
- Pico. Like everywhere in the Azores, this island has impressive volcanic landscapes and rock formations, but everything seems to be bigger on Pico - Gruta das Torres, an impressive lava cave, is 5km (3 miles) long and the island is also home to Mount Pico which at 2,351 m (7,713 ft) is the highest mountain in Portugal. As if that wasn’t enough of a reason to visit, Pico is also home to scenic vineyards, windmills, and a whale museum.
Note: It is possible to take a ferry from Terceira to São Jorge, Graciosa, São Miguel, Pico, and other islands in the Azores, but it’s important to check the ferry schedule and book tickets in advance - some routes are not active during the winter months, so you might need to either fly or take connecting ferry rides.
While it is possible to take a rental car on some ferries, many rental car providers don’t permit it, so it’s important to ask them in advance. A better plan may be to drop off your car in Terceira, go as a foot passenger, and then pick up a new rental car at the port of your destination.
Car Rental Prices in Praia da Vitoria
- Station wagons - from $59 per day
- Large cars - from $39 per day
- Medium cars - from $41 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $86 per day
- Premium cars - from $159 per day
- Small cars - from $26 per day
- SUVs - from $56 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Boost your chances of landing a great rental car by following these tips:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Terceira is the cheapest in November when renting a car is about 80% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 90% cheaper than renting in April. Enjoy your autumn holidays with a trip to the Azores!
Top 8 Cities near Praia da Vitoria
Ponta Delgada Car Rentals from $2.83 per day164.0 km / 101.9 miles away
Madalena Car Rentals from $16.57 per day121.4 km / 75.4 miles away
Vila do Porto Car Rentals from $16.57 per day256.6 km / 159.5 miles away
Horta Car Rentals from $20.82 per day137.7 km / 85.5 miles away
Santa Cruz das Flores Car Rentals from $16.57 per day360.3 km / 223.9 miles away
Velas Car Rentals from $16.57 per day97.0 km / 60.2 miles away
Angra do Heroismo Car Rentals from $5.81 per day4.4 km / 2.7 miles away
Furnas Car Rentals from $7.95 per day186.0 km / 115.6 miles away
Top 12 Locations near Praia da Vitoria
Angra do Heroismo Airport Car Rentals from $5.81 per day4.4 km / 2.7 miles away
Lajes Terceira Airport Car Rentals from $5.43 per day4.4 km / 2.7 miles away
Sao Jorge Airport Car Rentals from $16.57 per day97.0 km / 60.2 miles away
Velas Harbour Car Rentals from $16.57 per day99.3 km / 61.7 miles away
Pico Airport Car Rentals from $16.57 per day121.4 km / 75.4 miles away
Horta Port Car Rentals from $20.82 per day137.7 km / 85.5 miles away
Horta Airport Car Rentals from $20.82 per day145.6 km / 90.5 miles away
Ponta Delgada Airport Car Rentals from $2.83 per day162.1 km / 100.7 miles away
Ponta Delgada Delivery Car Rentals from $3.40 per day163.6 km / 101.7 miles away
Ponta Delgada Port Car Rentals from $2.83 per day164.3 km / 102.1 miles away
Santa Maria Airport Car Rentals from $16.57 per day256.6 km / 159.5 miles away
Santa Cruz das Flores Airport Car Rentals from $16.57 per day360.3 km / 223.9 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Praia da Vitoria?
What’s the usual rental length in Praia da Vitoria?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Praia da Vitoria?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Ilha Verde||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Ilha Verde||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|Ilha Verde||Hyundai i10||5||1||Small cars|
|Rhodium||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|Interrent||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Interrent||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Rhodium||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|