Car Rental in Ponta Delgada
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Ponta Delgada?
Ponta Delgada is a great place for renting a car. Not only is it a great place from where to start to explore the rest of São Miguel island, it also a fascinating city in its own right and has lots to offer.
Top ways to enter Ponta Delgada
- Ponta Delgada Airport: Also known as João Paulo II Airport, it handles about two million travelers per year. The airport has flights by eight different airlines, including low-cost carriers like Ryanair and Norwegian Air, and offers flights to such varied destinations as London, Brussels, Geneva, Boston, and Montreal. Ponta Delgada Airport is 5km (3.1 miles) northwest of the Ponta Delgada city center and takes about eight minutes to reach.
- By sea: There is a frequent ferry service connecting Ponta Delgada to other islands of the Azores like Santa Maria and Terceira. Most rental car providers permit bringing a rental car on board, but you should still make sure in advance. Also, ask your rental car provider if they permit you to bring the rental car on a ferry. If you’re arriving in Ponta Delgada by ferry, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at the Ponta Delgada Port.
Useful city facts
- Ponta Delgada has a Mediterranean climate, albeit with strong subtropical and oceanic influences. Like the rest of the Azores, the island of São Miguel is nearly halfway between Europe and North America and also close to the continent of Africa. The island has very warm, relatively dry summers and cool, rainy winters. The average high temperature is 25.3 °C (77.5 °F) in August, the hottest month, and 16.6 °C (61.9 °F) in January, the coolest.
- With a population of nearly 70,000, Ponta Delgada is by far the largest city not only on São Miguel, but in all of the Azores (nearly 30% of all the archipelago’s population live here). Established in the 15th century as a fishing settlement, Ponta Delgada grew steadily and was an important maritime outpost of the Portuguese Empire.
Top destinations and activities
- Carlos Machado Museum. One of the main indoor attractions in Azores, this museum features natural discoveries made by Portuguese explorers, impressive religious art, and different exhibitions related to the history of the islands. The museum is located in a former convent and still has an impressive wooden altar.
- Arnel Lighthouse. Located at the Ponta do Arnel, the easternmost point of the island, this impressive lighthouse on a cliff is one of the most impressive places in São Miguel. It is a challenge to reach it, but those who persevere will be rewarded with truly magical ocean views. Located some 45km (28 miles) from Ponta Delgada, the lighthouse can be reached in 40 minutes.
- Whale watching. European countries like Norway, Iceland, and Ireland are famous for their whale watching tours, but the Azores, located in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, offer just as good, if not better, opportunities to see these magnificent creatures. Sperm whales, blue whales, and humpback whales, as well as bottlenose and spotted dolphins are frequent visitors of the Azores. The whale watching season typically lasts from April to early October. There are many whale watching tours in Ponta Delgada and the rest of São Miguel that you can join, but keep in mind that it’s a good idea to book your place in advance.
Traffic and parking tips
- You can only enter the roundabout after giving way to cars already on it.
- The car documentation and insurance always has to be inside a vehicle.
- Drivers can only use a mobile phone if it is a hands free or an earpiece.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.2 for novice drivers.
- Safety cameras are in use.
- When parking in a street, your car must be parked facing the direction of travel.
There are no toll roads on São Miguel, but some motorways are subject to fees on mainland Portugal. See the official site toll road site for maps and fees.
Ideas for a day-trip
For more about traveling around the Azores Islands with a rental car, check out our complete guide.
- Lagoa das Sete Cidades. Home to beautiful twin lakes, Lagoa Azul and Lagoa Verde (or the green lake and the blue lakes), Sete Cidades is a crater and a volcanic complex. Surrounded by impressive mountains, it offers great views of the rest of the island and is one of the most popular tourism attractions on São Miguel. Located in the northwestern part of the island, Sete Cidades is about 50km (31 miles) from Ponta Delgada and takes 50 minutes to reach.
- Lagoa da Fogo. Also known as the Lake of Fire, this volcanic reservoir is even higher up in the mountains than Sete Cidades. Perhaps the most Azores place imaginable, Lagoa de Fogo will fill you with a sense of awe (and your camera with awe-inspiring photos). Located some 33km (20 miles), by road, from Ponta Delgada, the lake can be reached in some 30 minutes.
- Ponta da Ferraria. Located in the northwestern part of the island, the cove of Ponta da Ferraria is the location of famous hot springs. Visited by locals for centuries, it is best visited during a low tide. The water temperature in the springs often reaches and even exceeds 30º C (86 F). The cove is located near a popular spa center. Ponta da Ferraria is 48km (30 miles) from Ponta Delgada and can be reached in about 50 minutes.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in the Azores is the VW Polo, but travelers also pick the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500 a lot. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- Santa Maria. The southernmost of the Azores islands and the one closest to São Miguel, Santa Maria is a relaxed, sparsely populated place. Warmer and more dry than the rest of the Azores, this island of picturesque nature and quaint villages is a great place for a slow, enjoyable holiday.
- Terceira. The island of Terceira is best-known as the location of Angra do Heroismo. A UNESCO World Heritage site, this historic town is home to probably more man-made landmarks and impressive buildings than the rest of the Azores combined. Nature lovers should be excited, too - Terceira is home to truly fascinating volcanic caves.
- Pico. The small island of Pico is named after Mount Pico, the highest point in all of Portugal. An ancient volcano that dominates the landscape, it offers mind-blowing views of the rest of the island and the ocean from the top (it is possible to climb the mountain, but you’ll need to pay a fee of 15-20 euros; it is possible to join a tour and go with a guide).
Car Rental Prices in Ponta Delgada
- Convertibles - from $70 per day
- Station wagons - from $53 per day
- Large cars - from $65 per day
- Medium cars - from $49 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $80 per day
- Premium cars - from $105 per day
- Small cars - from $23 per day
- SUVs - from $67 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are ways get a good rental car deal in Ponta Delgada:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Ponta Delgada is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 44% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 67% cheaper than renting a car in July.
Top 8 Cities near Ponta Delgada
Madalena Car Rentals from $20.01 per day258.6 km / 160.7 miles away
Vila do Porto Car Rentals from $24.08 per day96.2 km / 59.8 miles away
Praia da Vitoria Car Rentals from $4.87 per day168.3 km / 104.6 miles away
Santa Cruz das Flores Car Rentals from $20.01 per day511.3 km / 317.7 miles away
244.7 km / 152.1 miles away
Horta Car Rentals from $24.08 per day280.0 km / 174.0 miles away
Angra do Heroismo Car Rentals from $5.19 per day168.3 km / 104.6 miles away
Furnas Car Rentals from $12.45 per day31.7 km / 19.7 miles away
Top 17 Locations near Ponta Delgada
Downtown Car Rentals from $7.68 per day
Ponta Delgada Delivery Car Rentals from $7.98 per day0.4 km / 0.2 miles away
Ponta Delgada Port Car Rentals from $7.68 per day0.7 km / 0.4 miles away
Ponta Delgada Airport Car Rentals from $6.27 per day2.3 km / 1.4 miles away
Furnas downtown Car Rentals from $12.45 per day31.7 km / 19.7 miles away
Santa Maria Airport Car Rentals from $24.08 per day96.2 km / 59.8 miles away
Angra do Heroismo Airport Car Rentals from $5.19 per day168.3 km / 104.6 miles away
Lajes Terceira Airport Car Rentals from $4.87 per day168.3 km / 104.6 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $5.26 per day169.4 km / 105.2 miles away
Sao Jorge Airport Car Rentals from $20.01 per day241.9 km / 150.3 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $20.01 per day244.9 km / 152.1 miles away
Pico Airport Car Rentals from $20.01 per day258.6 km / 160.7 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $20.01 per day264.6 km / 164.4 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $24.08 per day273.0 km / 169.6 miles away
Horta Port Car Rentals from $24.08 per day273.1 km / 169.7 miles away
Horta Airport Car Rentals from $24.08 per day280.0 km / 174.0 miles away
Santa Cruz das Flores Airport Car Rentals from $20.01 per day511.3 km / 317.7 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Ponta Delgada?
What’s the usual rental length in Ponta Delgada?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Ponta Delgada?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Ilha Verde||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Ilha Verde||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Wayzor||VW Up||5||1||Small cars|
|Wayzor||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Wayzor||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Wayzor||VW Polo||5||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Ilha Verde||Hyundai i10||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|