Car Rental Ponta Delgada
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Ponta Delgada?
Ponta Delgada is a great place for renting a car. Not only is it a great place from where to start to explore the rest of São Miguel island, it also a fascinating city in its own right and has lots to offer.
Top ways to enter Ponta Delgada
- Ponta Delgada Airport: The Azores’ main airport serves flights to many destinations on continental Europe, as well as in North America and the nearby Canary Islands.
- By sea: If you’re arriving in Ponta Delgada by ferry from one of the other Azores islands, such as Flores, Pico, or Terceira, you can conveniently pick up your rental at Ponta Delgada Port.
Useful city facts
- Ponta Delgada is the largest city and the capital of the Azores, an autonomous region that is part of Portugal.
- The temperature difference between the winter and summer months is quite small, with warm and mild winters and summers that rarely get hotter than 25 (78) °C (°F). However, the summer months get a lot less precipitation.
Top destinations and activities
Carlos Machado Museum. One of the main indoor attractions in Azores, this scientific museum will introduce you to oceanographic and other natural science discoveries of Portuguese explorers.
Lagoa das Sete Cidades. Just a short drive from Ponta Delgada, Sete Cidades is a volcanic complex. Home to a beautiful twin lake, the crater is surrounded by impressive mountains and offers great views of the rest of the island.
Whale watching. Many whale watching companies set out from Ponta Delgada, making it one of the top destinations in the world for this activity. Do keep in mind that most tours need to be booked in advance.
Traffic and parking tips
- You can only enter the roundabout after giving way to cars already on it.
- The car documentation and insurance always has to be inside a vehicle.
- Drivers can only use a mobile phone if it is a hands free or an earpiece.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.2 for novice drivers.
- Safety cameras are in use.
- When parking in a street, your car must be parked facing the direction of travel.
There are no toll roads on São Miguel, but some motorways are subject to fees on mainland Portugal. See the official site toll road site for maps and fees.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Lagoa da Fogo (Fire Lake). Another volcanic lake even higher up in the mountains than Sete Cidades, Lagoa de Fogo is perhaps the most Azores place imaginable and will fill you with a sense of awe.
- Ponta da Ferraria. These hot springs are located on the western coast of the island and have been visited by locals for centuries. Best visited during low tide, the water temperature here is often around 30º C (86 F).
- Farol da Ponta do Arnel. Opposite Ponta da Ferraria on the other side of the island, this unique lighthouse on a cliff is a challenge to reach, but offers amazing ocean views for those who persevere and get to the end.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in the Azores is the VW Polo, but travelers also pick the Ford Fiesta and the Fiat 500 a lot. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- The rest of Azores. Each of the other islands has their own character, attractions, and natural landmarks. For many, the historic city Angra do Heroismo that is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is the standout destination.
- Madeira. Another Portuguese archipelago southeast of Azores and not far from mainland Africa, Madeira is a more tropical and equally interesting destination.
- Mainland Portugal. With cities like Lisbon and Porto, wine-making paradise Alentejo, and beach destination Algarve, Portugal is a destination to return to again and again.
Car Rental Prices in Ponta Delgada
- Convertibles - from $73 per day
- Station wagons - from $46 per day
- Large cars - from $67 per day
- Medium cars - from $46 per day
- People Carriers / Vans - from $66 per day
- Premium cars - from $104 per day
- Small cars - from $19 per day
- SUVs - from $50 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are ways get a good rental car deal in Ponta Delgada:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Ponta Delgada is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 44% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 67% cheaper than renting a car in July.
Top 6 Cities near Ponta Delgada
Praia da Vitoria Car Rentals from $1.35 per day166.4 km / 103.4 miles away
Vila do Porto Car Rentals from $18.84 per day97.6 km / 60.7 miles away
Madalena Car Rentals from $18.84 per day256.4 km / 159.3 miles away
Horta Car Rentals from $18.84 per day277.8 km / 172.6 miles away
Santa Cruz das Flores Car Rentals from $18.84 per day509.1 km / 316.3 miles away
Velas Car Rentals from $18.84 per day239.7 km / 148.9 miles away
Top 10 Locations near Ponta Delgada
Ponta Delgada Airport Car Rentals from $1.35 per day
Ponta Delgada, Downtown Car Rentals from $1.49 per day
Ponta Delgada Port Car Rentals from $1.49 per day
Ponta Delgada Delivery Car Rentals from $1.55 per day
Vila do Porto, Santa Maria Airport Car Rentals from $18.84 per day97.6 km / 60.7 miles away
Praia da Vitoria, Lajes Terceira Airport Car Rentals from $1.35 per day166.4 km / 103.4 miles away
Velas, Sao Jorge Airport Car Rentals from $18.84 per day239.7 km / 148.9 miles away
Madalena, Pico Airport Car Rentals from $18.84 per day256.4 km / 159.3 miles away
Horta Airport Car Rentals from $18.84 per day277.8 km / 172.6 miles away
Santa Cruz das Flores Airport Car Rentals from $18.84 per day509.1 km / 316.3 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Ponta Delgada?
What’s the usual rental length in Ponta Delgada?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Ponta Delgada?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Ilha Verde||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Ilha Verde||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Ilha Verde||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Wayzor||VW Up||5||1||Small cars|
|Wayzor||VW Polo||5||2||Small cars|
|Guerin||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|SIXT||Renault Clio||5||1||Small cars|
|Wayzor||VW Cross Up||5||1||Small cars|
|Ilha Verde||Renault Clio STW||5||2||Station wagons|
|Wayzor||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 14 Suppliers for Ponta Delgada in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.6 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email