Car Rental in Horta
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Horta?
Faial, one of the nine Azores Islands in the Atlantic Ocean, is a fascinating place to visit. Although the island is so small you can travel from one end to the other in less than one hour, there’s plenty to see and do, from impressive volcanic landscapes and vast protected areas to doing water sports or even going on a whale-watching tour.
One-Way Car Rentals in Horta
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Horta and drop off in another city include:
- From Horta to Madalena - 3 offers from US$ 67.85 per day
- From Horta to Ponta Delgada - 3 offers from US$ 67.85 per day
Top ways to enter Horta
- Horta Airport: A small and cozy international airport, Horta-Faial served nearly 250,000 travelers in 2018. As of August 2019, the airport is served by two airlines, Azores Airlines and SATA Air Açores. They offer flights to and from the other Azores Islands as well as Portugal’s capital Lisbon. The airport is located near the village of Castelo Branco, about 8km (5 miles) west of Horta and which can be reached in ten minutes.
- By ferry: It is possible to fly to another international airport on one of the nearby Azores Islands and then take a ferry to Faial. Some of the islands are directly connected to Faial while from others, you might need to take two ferries. Some airports near Faial include Pico Airport on Pico, São Jorge Airport on São Jorge, Lajes Airport on Terceira, Flores Airport on Ilha das Flores, and Ponta Delgada João Paulo II Airport on São Miguel. It’s important to look up the ferry schedules in advance as the services are much more frequent during the spring and summer months.
Useful city facts
- Like the rest of the Azores Islands, Horta has a humid subtropical climate with hot, but tolerable summers, warm winters and little temperature changes between seasons. The average high temperature is 25°C (77°F) in August, the warmest month, and 16°C (61°F) in February. Horta is generally considered to be the warmest settlement in the Azores. Summers are relatively dry while winters are quite humid, with the highest precipitation between November and January.
- With a population of 14,994, Faial is the third-most-populous of the Azores Islands, with about half of its inhabitants living in Horta. The general population of the island has been in decline for the last 170 years, going from nearly 25,000 in 1849 to 20,000 in 1960; it stabilized to around 15,000 in the 1980s.
- Faial is often considered the westernmost point in Europe.. Although Monchique Islet, also part of the Azores, is even further west, it is part of the North American tectonic plate. Located in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, Faial is nearly equal distance from Portugal in Mainland Europe, Morocco in Africa, and Newfoundland in North America.
Top destinations and activities
- Horta Marina. One of the nicest seaside areas in all of the Azores, walking around the Horta Marina will reveal everything this small, cozy city has to offer. From beautiful churches and other impressive buildings to yachts moored at the city docks and a number of great seafood restaurants that you can visit, there’s really something for everyone to enjoy.
- Nature Park of Faial. Including about 17% of the island’s territory, the park is a stunning place to visit. Best explored by walking on one of its many hiking paths, the park consists of volcanic landscapes, rugged cliffs and a long, wild coastline. There are many spots that provide amazing views of the rest of the island and the Atlantic Ocean. The park is home to different bird species from common buzzard to different types of shearwaters and goldcrests. With its closest corner located just 10km (6 miles) northwest of Horta, the nature park can be reached in about 15 minutes.
- Faial Caldera. Part of the Nature Park of Faial, but deserving a special mention, Faial Caldera is the crater of the volcano whose eruption created the island of Faial thousands of years ago. About 2km in diameter and more than 400 m deep, the Caldera volcanic complex is one of the most impressive places in all of the Azores. Visitors can take in its magnificence from an observation desk; if you hire a local guide, you can even head down inside Caldera. Located about 15km (9 miles) from Horta, Caldera can be reached in about 20 minutes.
Traffic and parking tips
- You can only enter the roundabout after giving way to cars already in it.
- The car’s documentation and proof of insurance always has to be inside the vehicle.
- Drivers can only use a mobile phone if it is hands-free or has an earpiece.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.2 for novice drivers.
- Road safety cameras are in use.
- When parking on a street, your car must be parked facing the direction of travel.
There are no toll roads on São Miguel, but some motorways are subject to fees on mainland Portugal. See the official toll road website for maps and fees.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Capelinhos Volcano. A volcano with more recent activity than the Caldera, Capelinhos last erupted in 1957. Lasting for more than 13 months, the eruption even created a tiny new island off the western coast of Faial. Nowadays, visitors can take in the primeval landscape as well as visit sites like the Ponta dos Capelinhos lighthouse and the Volcanic Interpretation Center which explains the geology and tectonic activity behind the eruptions. Located 23km (14.2 miles) northwest of Horta, Capelinhos can be reached in about 30 minutes.
- Scuba diving. The Azores have truly magnificent landscapes, but the underwater life of the Atlantic Ocean that surrounds them is just as interesting. The island of Faial is usually considered to be one of the best places for scuba diving in the Azores and has great opportunities for everyone from beginners to seasoned pros. Many companies that offer diving tours are located in or near the Horta Marina area.
- Whale watching. For centuries, whaling was of the main occupations for the inhabitants of Faial, offering them a way to survive in the harsh conditions of the mid-Atlantic. Nowadays, the hunting has stopped, but the large animals continue to frequently visit the waters that surround the island. A number of companies based in Horta offer boat trips to go and see the whales up close, a highlight of any trip to the Azores. The best months for watching the whales in Faial are April and May.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Horta is the Renault Clio, followed by the Peugeot 208 and the Ford Fiesta. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- Pico. The landscape of Pico, an island to the southwest of Faial, is dominated by Mount Pico. 2,351 mi (7,713 ft) tall, the volcano is the highest mountain not only in the Azores, but in all of Portugal. The mountain and its surroundings is a fascinating area to explore. Climbing down to the coast, travelers can also enjoy the cute town of Madalena, beautiful vineyards, and a good number of museums.
- Graciosa. Also known as the White Island, Graciosa is a picturesque place where coastal cliffs, volcanoes, and windmills are part of the same landscape. Meanwhile, architecture lovers will appreciate the Lighthouse of Carapacho and the church of Nossa Senhora de Luz. One of the smallest of the Azores islands, it is also one of the least visited, so you’ll have plenty of space just for yourself.
- Sao Miguel. Sao Miguel is the largest of the Azores islands and an entry or exit point for most of the visitors. A trip to the archipelago is incomplete without seeing the island. Those craving some civilization will appreciate Ponta Delgada, the island’s capital and the only real city in the Azores, nature lovers will enjoy hiking among mountains, valleys, and hot springs, and foodies simply have to try a local burger cooked on the thermal energy coming from an active volcano.
Note: It is possible to take a ferry from Faial to Pico, Sao Jorge, Graciosa, Flores, São Miguel, and other islands in the Azores, but it’s important to look up the ferry schedule and book tickets in advance - some routes are not active during the winter months, so you might need to either fly or take connecting ferry rides.
While it is possible to bring a car on some ferries, many rental car providers won’t permit it, so it’s important to ask them in advance. A better plan can be to drop off your car in Faial, go as a passenger, and then pick up a new rental car at the port of your destination.
Car Rental Prices in Horta
- Station wagons - from $62 per day
- Large cars - from $47 per day
- Medium cars - from $58 per day
- Small cars - from $27 per day
- SUVs - from $109 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Try these simple tips to get a good rental car in Horta:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Horta is the cheapest in October when renting a car is about 60% cheaper than the yearly average. Come visit Faial in early autumn!
Top 8 Cities near Horta
Ponta Delgada Car Rentals from $2.96 per day273.6 km / 170.0 miles away
138.2 km / 85.9 miles away
Angra do Heroismo Car Rentals from $6.59 per day135.8 km / 84.4 miles away
Madalena Car Rentals from $15.59 per day16.3 km / 10.1 miles away
Velas Car Rentals from $15.59 per day41.8 km / 26.0 miles away
Santa Cruz das Flores Car Rentals from $15.59 per day239.5 km / 148.8 miles away
Vila do Porto Car Rentals from $15.59 per day350.0 km / 217.5 miles away
Furnas Car Rentals from $7.56 per day301.7 km / 187.5 miles away
Top 12 Locations near Horta
Horta Port Car Rentals from $15.59 per day
Horta Airport Car Rentals from $15.59 per day7.9 km / 4.9 miles away
Pico Airport Car Rentals from $15.59 per day16.3 km / 10.1 miles away
Velas Harbour Car Rentals from $16.25 per day40.1 km / 24.9 miles away
Sao Jorge Airport Car Rentals from $15.59 per day41.8 km / 26.0 miles away
Angra do Heroismo Airport Car Rentals from $6.59 per day135.8 km / 84.4 miles away
Lajes Air Base Terceira Car Rentals from $6.35 per day135.8 km / 84.4 miles away
Santa Cruz das Flores Airport Car Rentals from $15.59 per day239.5 km / 148.8 miles away
Ponta Delgada Airport Car Rentals from $2.50 per day270.8 km / 168.3 miles away
Ponta Delgada Delivery Car Rentals from $2.96 per day272.8 km / 169.5 miles away
Ponta Delgada Port Car Rentals from $2.96 per day273.6 km / 170.0 miles away
Santa Maria Airport Car Rentals from $15.59 per day350.0 km / 217.5 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Horta?
What’s the usual rental length in Horta?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Horta?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Ilha Verde||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Ilha Verde||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Wayzor||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Wayzor||VW Up||5||1||Small cars|
|Wayzor||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|Wayzor||VW Polo||5||2||Small cars|
|Ilha Verde||Renault Captur||5||3||Medium cars|
|Wayzor||VW Transporter||4||4||People Carriers/Vans|
|Europcar||Renault Clio||4||1||Small cars|
|Ilha Verde||Renault Clio STW||5||2||Station wagons|