Car Rental in Canada
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Canada?
A vast and diverse country, Canada is as known for its multicultural society and high standard of living as it is for its beautiful landscapes. Cities like Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are truly modern and sophisticated metropolises, but at the same time, mountains, the sea, and national and provincial parks are never far away. Getting a rental car is a good way to take in as much of this fascinating country as possible.
One-way Car Rentals in Canada
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Canada and drop off in another country:
- From Canada to Illinois - 67 offers from $76.82 per day
- From Canada to Pennsylvania - 18 offers from $83.42 per day
- From Canada to Washington - 34 offers from $69.85 per day
- From Canada to Massachusetts - 12 offers from $83.42 per day
- From Canada to Ohio - 18 offers from $79.72 per day
Top ways to enter Canada
- Vancouver Airport: The main airport of British Columbia, Vancouver Airport offers access to Western Canada and Northwestern United States, and offers great connections not only to the Americas but also to destinations in Europe and East Asia.
- Toronto Airport: Canada’s largest airport serves its most populous city and much of Canada’s East, and serves flights to and from countless destinations in all parts of the world.
- Calgary Airport: Serving as the main access point to the picturesque province of Alberta, Calgary Airport is served by more than 30 airlines and offers flights to and from not only the rest of Canada and the USA, but also countries like Mexico, Germany, the Netherlands, China, and others.
- By land: If your rental car provider permits it, it’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Canada. Some large international airports near Canada are Seattle Airport in Washington, USA, Minneapolis-Saint Paul Airport in Minnesota, USA, and Detroit Airport in Michigan, USA.
Top cities and places to visit
Toronto. The most populous city in the country, Toronto is notable not only for the CN Tower, but also for being a hub of culture, music, and art. A true metropolis that’s full of creative energy, the city is home to world-class museums, diverse neighborhoods, and plenty of entertainment from sport to music. Toronto also offers easy access to the nearby Niagara region.
Montreal. Montreal is one of the most distinct cities in North America thanks to its Quebecois culture and use of the French language. Notable for its well-preserved core and architectural heritage, as well as a youthful student population, Montreal is a truly sophisticated destination and can also serve as a hub from which to explore the rest of Quebec.
Vancouver. A melting pot on the Canadian Pacific coast, Vancouver constantly has topped multiple rankings for its high quality of living. The city is also plenty of fun if you’re visiting on a shorter-term trip — don’t miss out on attractions like the Museum of Anthropology, Vancouver Art Gallery, and Stanley Park. The beautiful coastal mountains can be seen from all over the city and destinations such as Whistler are just a few hours away.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Canada is the Kia Rio, but the Jeep Wrangler and the Nissan Rogue are also often picked by travelers.
Driver's license requirements
- Canada recognizes some valid foreign driver’s licenses if you’re visiting for a limited amount of time (the exact permitted length varies from province to province). If you’re living in the country permanently, you need to obtain a local license instead.
- If your driver’s license is printed in a non-Latin alphabet (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Similarly, if your driver’s license doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the rental conditions before booking.
The only neighboring country of Canada is the United States of America, both to the entirety of the country’s South, as well as to northwest (the state of Alaska). The USA has a different visa policy than Canada, and, depending on your citizenship, you may or may not need a visa to enter it. We strongly advise you getting in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs in advance to find out whether you need a visa to visit the USA.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our Help Center.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Canada is an Economy, but Fullsize and Intermediate are also frequently chosen.
Top driving routes
- Alberta. So much more than just its oil wealth, the province of Alberta is home to Jasper and Banff, two of Canada’s most iconic national parks, as well as a number of smaller, but equally beautiful parks.. In addition to scenic nature, especially on the Icefields Parkway, they offer everything from dinosaur fossils to prehistoric indigenous rock art and some of the best skiing on the continent. Calgary, the largest city, is one of the most interesting urban destinations in the country, while Edmonton is both the political and the business capital of Alberta and has lots of museums, galleries, and outdoor things to do.
- Yukon and the rest of Northern Canada. Although much harder to access than the rest of the country, if you manage to get there, Northern Canada is a very rewarding travel destination. Sparsely populated, the north is pure wilderness and endless natural beauty. Whitehorse, the capital and the largest city in the Yukon, is perhaps the best entry point. Yellowknife Airport, located in the Northwest Territories, is another place with direct flights to Canada’s major cities.
- Nova Scotia. Remote and sparsely populated, but surprisingly diverse and culturally distinct, the Atlantic peninsula of Nova Scotia is one of Canada’s most underrated destinations. Home to a rugged coastline and wild nature preserves, the region has some of the most scenic car routes in the country.
- British Columbia: The province’s slogan is ‘Beautiful British Columbia’ and this couldn’t be more true. Whether you decide to drive the scenic Sea to Sky Highway between Vancouver and Whistler, the rugged forests and coastline of Vancouver Island, of the deserts and wineries of the interior, there are many stunning drives in BC.
Car Rental Prices
- Convertibles - from $387 per day
- Large cars - from $74 per day
- Medium cars - from $68 per day
- Vans - from $108 per day
- Premium cars - from $125 per day
- Small cars - from $66 per day
- SUVs - from $104 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Canada:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Canada is the cheapest in February when renting a car is almost 40% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Most Popular Cities in Canada
Car Rental in Toronto from $24.88 per day
Car Rental in Vancouver from $50.98 per day
Car Rental in Calgary from $79.79 per day
Car Rental in Montreal from $57.09 per day
Car Rental in Mississauga from $33.12 per day
Car Rental in Halifax from $54.48 per day
Car Rental in Abbotsford from $53.89 per day
Car Rental in Edmonton from $54.48 per day
Car Rental in Victoria from $165.56 per day
Car Rental in North Vancouver from $178.40 per day
Car Rental in Winnipeg from $54.48 per day
Car Rental in St. John’s from $46.42 per day
Car Rental in Quebec City from $49.38 per day
Car Rental in Kelowna from $54.48 per day
Car Rental in Kitchener from $54.48 per day
Car Rental in London from $54.48 per day
Car Rental in Surrey from $99.22 per day
Top 20 Most Popular Locations in Canada
Car Rental at Toronto Airport from $24.88 per day
Car Rental at Calgary Airport from $54.48 per day
Car Rental at Vancouver Airport from $54.48 per day
Car Rental at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport from $54.48 per day
Car Rental at Montreal Airport from $49.26 per day
Car Rental at Abbotsford International Airport from $53.89 per day
Car Rental at Edmonton Airport from $54.48 per day
Car Rental at Ottawa Airport from $54.48 per day
Car Rental at Victoria International Airport from $54.48 per day
Car Rental at Winnipeg Airport from $54.48 per day
Car Rental at Quebec City Airport from $49.38 per day
Car Rental at St. John’s International Airport from $46.42 per day
Car Rental at Kelowna Airport from $54.48 per day
Car Rental at Saskatoon Airport from $54.48 per day
Car Rental at Windsor International Airport from $54.48 per day
Car Rental at Regina International Airport from $54.48 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Canada?
What’s the average rental length in Canada?
What's the most popular time of year to rent a car in Canada?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||138|
|Popular suppliers||Routes Car Rental, Zoom Rent A Car, York Car Rental, Hub Rent a Car, Alamo|
|Popular car categories||Large cars, SUVs, Small cars, Medium cars|
|Lowest price||$25 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Routes Car Rental||Toyota Corolla||4||1||Large cars|
|Routes Car Rental||Nissan Rogue||5||3||SUVs|
|Zoom Rent A Car||Mazda 2||4||1||Medium cars|
|Routes Car Rental||Kia Rio||4||1||Small cars|
|Routes Car Rental||Dodge Grand Caravan||4||2||Vans|
|Routes Car Rental||Honda Civic||4||3||Large cars|
|Surprice||Toyota Yaris||4||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Toyota Corolla||4||2||Medium cars|
|Swift Rent-A-Car||Hyundai Accent||5||2||Small cars|
|Zoom Rent A Car||Hyundai Elantra||4||2||Large cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.