Car Rental in Ottawa
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Ottawa?
Ottawa is a great place for renting a car - the vastness of the city means it is best explored with your own wheels. There’s plenty to enjoy here, too, from interesting architecture to classy museums and large public parks. With a rental car, nearby Montreal or Quebec and Ontario’s beautiful national parks are also within your reach.
One-Way Car Rentals in Ottawa
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Ottawa and drop off in another city include:
- From Ottawa to Toronto - 34 offers from 77.40 USD per day
Top ways to enter Ottawa
- Ottawa Airport: Although not as large as some other airports in Eastern Canada, flying here is still the most convenient way to reach the capital city. Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier Airport handled over five million travelers in 2018 and provides flights to all the largest cities in Canada, the United States, and beyond. Located 13 km (8.1 mi) south of the city center, the airport can be reached in about 20 minutes.
- Montreal Airport: Located just 184 km (114 mi) east of Ottawa, Montreal-Trudeau Airport has flights to and from many destinations in North America, as well as in Europe, Africa, and Asia. The airport is expected to handle 20 million travelers in 2019 for the first time in its history.
- Toronto Pearson Airport: With 49 million served passengers in 2018, Toronto Airport is by far the largest in Canada and one of the busiest in the Americas. A hub for Air Canada, West Jet, and a number of other companies, the airport has flights to and from all inhabited continents of the world. Located 460 km (285 mi) southwest of Ottawa, Toronto Airport can be reached in about 4 hours and 30 minutes.
Useful city facts
- Ottawa has a humid continental climate with warm summers, cold winters, and four separate seasons. The average high temperature in 26.6 °C (79.9 °F) in July, the warmest month, and -5.8 °C (21.6 °F) in January, the coldest. Ottawa has a rather high precipitation throughout the year. It’s quite rainy from May to October; in winter, the city experiences a lot of snowfall.
- Although Ottawa is Canada’s capital, it is only the fourth most-populated city in the country. Around 930,000 people live in the city proper, with an additional 400,000 inhabiting the larger metropolitan area. A culturally and linguistically diverse city, Ottawa is home to diasporas from all over the world; many indigenous Canadians also live in the city.
- Ottawa borders Gatineau, a city in the Quebec region that is just across the Ottawa River. Together they form the National Capital Region. Unlike Ottawa, Gatineau is overwhelmingly French-speaking.
Top destinations and activities
- Parliament Hill. Located in the very center of the city and overlooking the Ottawa River, Parliament Hill is the number one landmark of Canada's capital. Here you can visit Parliament of Canada, House of Commons, the Senate, and the recently renovated Library of Parliament.
- Canada Museum of Nature. Full of artefacts, fossils, and fascinating stories, this modern and interactive museum is the best place to learn about Canada's history, geology, and animals.
- National Gallery. Worth visiting for its unique building alone, the National Gallery is home to some of Canada's finest artworks, from traditional to contemporary, and also houses the paintings and sculptures by some famous international artists.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limits vary between different roads. The general limits are 90 km/h to 110 km/h on motorways and outside cities and from 30 km/h to 50 km/h inside cities.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05%. Driving under influence exceeding the limit is a criminal offence and can lead to hefty fines, a driving ban, and even imprisonment.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- Using the mobile phone while driving is prohibited. The rule is strictly imposed with high fines.
- The phone number for emergencies is 112.
There are a number of toll roads in Canada.
Ontario Highway 407 is toll road for which you can only pay electronically. As you will be driving a rental car, the bill will be automatically sent to your rental car provider. The exact fee will depend on how long will you drive along this road. Some rental providers do include an additional toll charge fee. Do get in touch with your rental car provider in advance to find out more. Visit the official Highway 407 website to find out more information about fees and payment methods.
Highway 412 is another toll road in Ontario. It is part of the same toll system as the Highway 407. The exact fee will depend on the time of the day and the day of the week of your travel, as well as the length of your travel along this road.
There are some other toll roads in Ontario. Do look them up in advance depending on your planned route.
In the rest of Canada, payment method and fees differ for different toll roads. It is best to look them up in advance, finding the information for each province in which you plan to travel. You can also use a toll calculator to calculate the approximate fees for your upcoming ride.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Montreal. The capital of French-speaking Canada, nearby Montreal is one of the most interesting cities of North America thanks to its unique history, culture, and atmosphere.
- Algonquin Provincial Park. This nature area is about 240 km (150 mi) from Ottawa, but the rather long road is nevertheless worth traveling. The park is home to countless fauna and flora species associated with Canada, from moose, white-tailed deer, and great grey owls to sugar maple.
- Gatineau. Just across the river, Gatineau's main attraction is the famous Canadian Museum of History. Previously called Canadian Museum of Civilization, it tells the long story of human settlement in Canada, from First Nations migrating on the Bering Strait to Vikings settling on the eastern coast and Western European colonists arriving 500 years ago.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most picked rental car in Canada is the Kia Rio, although travelers also love the Jeep Wrangler and the Nissan Rogue. The most popular rental car types are economy, intermediate, and fullsize. The latter can be a good choice if you plan to travel outside Ottawa and into nature areas.
- Toronto. About five hours drive away, Ontario's largest city is a great place to visit thanks to its unique neighborhoods, bustling arts scene, and hip atmosphere.
- Quebec City. There's more to this province than Montreal, from the even more French-feeling Quebec City to cozy little towns and beautiful nature areas.
- New York City. The bustle of NYC might seem like a world away from Ottawa in terms of atmosphere, but the Big Apple is just seven hours drive south. Note that if you'd like to travel from Ottawa to New York City, you'll have to cross a national border, so make sure to first ask your rental car provider if they permit it.
Car Rental Prices in Ottawa
- Large cars - from $75 per day
- Medium cars - from $61 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $79 per day
- Premium cars - from $73 per day
- Small cars - from $60 per day
- SUVs - from $72 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Follow these tips to get a good rental car deal in in Ottawa:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Ottawa is the cheapest in March when renting a car is about 59% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 15 Cities near Ottawa
Toronto Car Rentals from $12.34 per day363.5 km / 225.9 miles away
Montreal Car Rentals from $25.08 per day151.5 km / 94.1 miles away
Hamilton Car Rentals from $40.14 per day415.3 km / 258.1 miles away
London Car Rentals from $32.11 per day505.7 km / 314.2 miles away
Windsor Car Rentals from $32.11 per day675.5 km / 419.7 miles away
Quebec City Car Rentals from $41.08 per day368.1 km / 228.7 miles away
Dieppe Car Rentals from $33.83 per day857.1 km / 532.6 miles away
Mississauga Car Rentals from $21.86 per day365.9 km / 227.3 miles away
Kingston Car Rentals from $28.59 per day142.6 km / 88.6 miles away
Halifax Car Rentals from $26.40 per day951.2 km / 591.0 miles away
Saint John Car Rentals from $71.27 per day764.2 km / 474.8 miles away
Sarnia Car Rentals from $32.11 per day589.0 km / 366.0 miles away
427.5 km / 265.7 miles away
Mont-Tremblant Car Rentals from $27.02 per day139.0 km / 86.4 miles away
Whitby Car Rentals from $78.24 per day303.2 km / 188.4 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Ottawa
Ottawa Downtown Car Rentals from $25.53 per day
Ottawa Airport Car Rentals from $22.04 per day12.2 km / 7.6 miles away
Mont-Tremblant International Airport Car Rentals from $27.02 per day129.4 km / 80.4 miles away
Montreal Airport Car Rentals from $25.08 per day152.1 km / 94.5 miles away
Kingston Airport Car Rentals from $28.59 per day152.2 km / 94.6 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $41.08 per day165.4 km / 102.7 miles away
Whitby Downtown Car Rentals from $78.24 per day308.2 km / 191.5 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $12.34 per day355.0 km / 220.6 miles away
Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport Car Rentals from $93.66 per day355.7 km / 221.0 miles away
Quebec City Airport Car Rentals from $41.08 per day364.0 km / 226.2 miles away
Toronto Airport Car Rentals from $12.34 per day368.1 km / 228.7 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $21.86 per day370.5 km / 230.2 miles away
Quebec Downtown Car Rentals from $22.29 per day377.0 km / 234.3 miles away
Hamilton Airport Car Rentals from $40.14 per day420.8 km / 261.5 miles away
London International Airport Car Rentals from $32.11 per day510.1 km / 317.0 miles away
London Train Station Car Rentals from $90.49 per day519.8 km / 323.0 miles away
Sarnia Chris Hadfield Airport Car Rentals from $32.11 per day592.5 km / 368.2 miles away
Windsor International Airport Car Rentals from $32.11 per day679.7 km / 422.4 miles away
Saint John Airport Car Rentals from $71.27 per day765.1 km / 475.4 miles away
Greater Moncton International Airport Car Rentals from $33.83 per day856.7 km / 532.3 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Ottawa?
What’s the usual rental length in Ottawa?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Ottawa?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Routes Car Rental||Nissan Rogue||5||3||SUVs|
|Routes Car Rental||Toyota Corolla Sedan||4||2||Large cars|
|Routes Car Rental||Toyota Corolla||4||1||Large cars|
|Routes Car Rental||Kia Rio||4||1||Small cars|
|Routes Car Rental||Dodge Caravan||4||4||People Carriers/Vans|
|Routes Car Rental||Honda Civic||4||3||Large cars|
|Routes Car Rental||Toyota Yaris Advance||4||2||Medium cars|
|Routes Car Rental||Jeep Cherokee||4||3||SUVs|
|Routes Car Rental||Jeep Wrangler||4||2||SUVs|
|Alamo||Hyundai Elantra||4||2||Large cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 10 Suppliers in Ottawa in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.5 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email