Car Hire in Canada
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Canada?
Canada is a great country to explore by car. The road network is in great shape, and, considering the length of the distances, having your own ride is the best way to see more than just one part of the country during your trip.
One-way Car Hire in Canada
Here are the most popular one-way car hire options for pickup in Canada and drop off in another country:
- From Canada to Illinois - 67 offers from £ 60.64 per day
- From Canada to Pennsylvania - 18 offers from £ 65.84 per day
- From Canada to Washington - 34 offers from £ 55.13 per day
- From Canada to Massachusetts - 12 offers from £ 65.84 per day
- From Canada to Ohio - 18 offers from £ 62.93 per day
Top ways to enter Canada
- Vancouver Airport: The main airport of British Columbia, Vancouver Airport offers access to Western Canada and Northwestern United States, and offers great connections not only to the Americas but also to destinations in Europe and East Asia.
- Toronto Airport: Canada’s largest airport serves its most populous city and much of Canada’s East, and serves flights to and from countless destinations in all parts of the world.
- Calgary Airport: Serving as the main access point to the picturesque province of Alberta, Calgary Airport is served by more than 30 airlines and offers flights to and from not only the rest of Canada and the USA, but also countries like Mexico, Germany, the Netherlands, China, and others.
- By land: If your rental car provider permits it, it’s possible to hire a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Canada. Some large international airports near Canada are Seattle Airport in Washington, USA, Minneapolis-Saint Paul Airport in Minnesota, USA, and Detroit Airport in Michigan, USA.
Top cities and places to visit
- British Columbia: B.C., as it is called by locals, is home of the city of Vancouver, often voted one of the most livable cities on planet, but the province’s real attraction is its natural beauty.
- Alberta: Paradise for winter sports enthusiasts, Alberta is home to the Banff and Jasper national parks, as well as the city of Calgary, nowadays a great culture and music hub.
- Montreal: Capital of French-speaking Quebec province, Montreal has lots to offer in terms of its cuisine, culture, and history, as well as its distinct atmosphere.
- Toronto: Huge and busy, yet surprisingly accessible and cozy, Toronto charms visitors with its many distinct and unique neighborhoods, as well as landmarks like the CN Tower.
- Yukon and the rest of Northern Canada: Although much harder to access than the rest of the country, Northern Canada is a very rewarding travel destination as a place of endless natural beauty and wilderness. Whitehorse Airport in the capital and the largest city of Yukon, is perhaps the best entry point. Yellowknife Airport, located in the Northwest Territories, is another entry point.
Most popular hire car
The most hired car in Canada is the Kia Rio, but the Jeep Wrangler and the Nissan Rogue are also often picked by travelers.
The only neighboring country of Canada is the United States of America, both to the entirety of the country’s South, as well as to northwest (the state of Alaska). USA has a different visa policy than Canada, and, depending on your citizenship, you may or may not need a visa to enter it. We strongly advise you getting in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs in advance to find out whether you need a visa to visit the USA.
Some car hire companies permit you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your trip, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our Help Center.
Most popular types of hire car
The most hired car type in Canada is an Economy, but Fullsize and Intermediate are also popular.
Top driving routes
- Vancouver - Seattle (229 km / 142 mi) Seattle and the Pacific Northwest of USA is just a short and pleasant drive away from Vancouver. Note that you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your rental car provider first to make sure they allow it.
- Calgary - Edmonton (299 km / 186 mi) The two big cities of Alberta are just three hours drive apart, with lots of scenic nature in between.
- Toronto - Montreal (547 km / 340 mi) Thanks to great road conditions, the route between Canada’s two largest cities can be done in under six hours, and you’ll be going along the Lake Ontario coast for a large part of it.
Car Hire Prices
- Convertibles - starting at £ 106 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 114 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 22 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 21 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 40 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 44 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 20 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 27 per day
How can I save money on my hire car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car hire deal in Canada:
- Compare rates of different car providers
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Canada is the cheapest in February when hiring a car is almost 40% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 14 Most Popular Cities in Canada
Car Hire in Toronto starting at £ 19.73 per day
Car Hire in Vancouver starting at £ 33.30 per day
Car Hire in Montreal starting at £ 34.28 per day
Car Hire in Calgary starting at £ 35.50 per day
Car Hire in Ottawa starting at £ 46.97 per day
Car Hire in Quebec City starting at £ 41.77 per day
Car Hire in Halifax starting at £ 42.46 per day
Car Hire in Edmonton starting at £ 37.28 per day
Car Hire in Hamilton starting at £ 46.97 per day
Car Hire in Windsor starting at £ 46.97 per day
Car Hire in Surrey starting at £ 35.50 per day
Car Hire in Thornhill starting at £ 34.67 per day
Top 6 Most Popular Destinations in Canada
Map of Car Hire Destinations
In which month is car hire in Canada the most affordable?
This information can help you determine the low season. But note that these prices are only averages. The cost of your hire is determined by the type of car you select, the length of time you hire it for and how much in advance you book. Simply type in your dates in the form at the top of the page in order to find out the exact prices.
How many days do people keep their hire cars, on average, in Canada?
Which month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Canada?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||165|
|Popular suppliers||Routes Car Rental, City Car & Truck Rentals, Avis, Economy rent a car, Alamo|
|Popular car categories||SUVs, Large cars, Medium cars, Small cars|
|Lowest price||£ 20 per day|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Routes Car Rental||Nissan Rogue||5||3||SUVs|
|Routes Car Rental||Toyota Corolla||4||1||Large cars|
|City Car & Truck Rentals||Toyota Corolla||4||2||Medium cars|
|City Car & Truck Rentals||Toyota Yaris||5||1||Small cars|
|Routes Car Rental||Jeep Wrangler||4||2||SUVs|
|City Car & Truck Rentals||Toyota RAV4||5||3||SUVs|
|Routes Car Rental||Dodge Durango||5||3||SUVs|
|Surprice||Toyota Yaris||4||1||Small cars|
|Zoom Rent A Car||Mazda 2||4||1||Medium cars|
|Routes Car Rental||Dodge Grand Caravan||5||3||People Carriers|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.