Car Rental Toronto
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Offers
Why rent a car in Toronto?
It's great having your own ride in Toronto. With a rental car, you can see all the distinct parts and neighborhoods of this sprawling metropolis, and to visit important landmarks outside the city.
Top ways to enter Toronto
- Toronto Pearson Airport: The busiest airport in Canada, Toronto Pearson has flights to and from all parts of the world.
- Toronto Billy Bishop Airport: Although much smaller than Toronto's primary airport, Billy Bishop is located very near the city center.
- Ottawa Airport: Primarily serving Canada's capital city, Ottawa Airport is about 348 km (216 mi) away.
- By rail: If you're arriving in Toronto by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Toronto Union Railway Station.
Useful city facts
- Although not the capital, Toronto is Canada’s largest city. The population in the city proper is 2.7 million, but more than 5 million people live in Toronto’s larger metropolitan area.
- Toronto has one of the most diverse populations in the world, with 47.5% of its inhabitants born outside Canada.
- Toronto has a humid continental climate. The average temperature in July is 22.3 °C (72.1 °F) and the average temperature in January is -6.7 °C (-19.9 °F).
Top destinations and activities
- Art Gallery of Ontario. The largest gallery in Canada mostly focuses on works by well-known and contemporary Canadian artists, but it also houses paintings by classical European masters like Ruben.
- Black Creek Pioneer Village. Thoughtfully recreated, Black Creek Pioneer Village is a place where you can see what life was like in the 19th-century Ontario and to observe the architecture of that age.
- CN Tower. The tallest in North America, CN Tower is a great place to start (or finish) your vacation in Toronto. Going to its top in a glass elevator is a stunning experience, and the view from up there makes the rest of the city look tiny.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limits vary between different roads. The general limits are 90 km/h to 110 km/h on motorways and outside cities and from 30 km/h to 50 km/h inside cities.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05%. Driving under influence exceeding the limit is a criminal offence and can lead to hefty fines, a driving ban, and even imprisonment.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- Using the mobile phone while driving is prohibited. The rule is strictly imposed with high fines.
- The phone number for emergencies is 112.
There are a number of toll roads in Canada.
Ontario Highway 407 is toll road for which you can only pay electronically. As you will be driving a rental car, the bill will be automatically sent to your rental car provider. The exact fee will depend on how long will you drive along this road. Some rental providers do include an additional toll charge fee. Do get in touch with your rental car provider in advance to find out more. Visit the official Highway 407 website to find out more information about fees and payment methods.
Highway 412 is another toll road in Ontario. It is part of the same toll system as the Highway 407. The exact fee will depend on the time of the day and the day of the week of your travel, as well as the length of your travel along this road.
There are some other toll roads in Ontario. Do look them up in advance depending on your planned route.
In the rest of Canada, payment method and fees differ for different toll roads. It is best to look them up in advance, finding the information for each province in which you plan to travel. You can also use a toll calculator to calculate the approximate fees for your upcoming ride.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Niagara Region. The famous Niagara Falls is just a tad more than an hour's drive away from Toronto, but you might be tempted to also visit the surrounding nature areas, vineyards, and the cozy town of Niagara-on-the Lake.
- Stratford. This town in Perth County that's about two hours drive west of Toronto has a population of just over 30,000 inhabitants, but it is home to the famous Stratford Shakespeare Festival that lasts all the way from April to November. If you're a classic literature lover, time your travels accordingly.
- Ottawa. Canada's capital is about for to five hours drive away, so this one's probably a two-day trip, but this underrated city makes a great travel destination thanks to the combination of beautiful architecture and relaxed atmosphere.
- Detroit. The famous Motor City is only a four hour drive from Toronto. It's possible to drive to Windsor and cross the border into the city on foot from there.
- Linocln. One might not think of Canada as a producer of wine, but Lincoln, just outside of Toronto, sits at the heart of valleys with many wineries, most of which have tasting rooms.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car type in Canada is an economy, but fullsize and intermediate are also often picked. The most popular rental cars are the Kia Rio, the Jeep Wrangler, and the Nissan Rogue.
- Montreal. Canada's second largest city is sometimes considered Toronto's rival, so why not travel there to make up your own mind? Competition aside, this bilingual metropolis is as unique a destination as Toronto in terms of history, arts, and atmosphere.
- Northern Ontario. The sparsely populated north of the province doesn't see as many tourists as the big cities in the south, but it's impressive nature areas will convince anyone that you don't need to go to Yukon to see Canada at its wildest.
- USA. Detroit and Michigan is just a couple of hours drive away, but with a rental car you can also easily reach other famous cities like Chicago, Boston, and New York. Note that you'll have to cross the national border to visit U.S., so do get in touch with your rental car provider in advance to find out if they permit it. Also, make sure your entry documents are in order.
Car Rental Prices in Toronto
- Large cars - from $59 per day
- Medium cars - from $48 per day
- People Carriers / Vans - from $75 per day
- Premium cars - from $79 per day
- Small cars - from $47 per day
- SUVs - from $86 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are things you can do to get a good rental car deal in Toronto:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Toronto is the cheapest in October when renting a car is about 33% cheaper than the yearly average and 53% cheaper than renting a car in June.
Top 9 Cities near Toronto
Hamilton Car Rentals from $54.37 per day61.2 km / 38.0 miles away
Montreal Car Rentals from $35.49 per day507.2 km / 315.2 miles away
Ottawa Car Rentals from $30.58 per day363.5 km / 225.9 miles away
151.9 km / 94.4 miles away
Windsor Car Rentals from $49.82 per day312.2 km / 194.0 miles away
Quebec City Car Rentals from $33.91 per day731.5 km / 454.6 miles away
Thunder Bay Car Rentals from $63.86 per day911.4 km / 566.3 miles away
Kingston Car Rentals from $49.82 per day250.1 km / 155.4 miles away
Sarnia Car Rentals from $49.82 per day229.3 km / 142.5 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Toronto
Toronto, Downtown Car Rentals from $32.95 per day
Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport Car Rentals from $54.37 per day2.3 km / 1.5 miles away
Toronto Airport Car Rentals from $29.17 per day20.4 km / 12.7 miles away
Hamilton Airport Car Rentals from $54.37 per day69.0 km / 42.9 miles away
London International Airport Car Rentals from $45.50 per day158.5 km / 98.5 miles away
Kingston Airport Car Rentals from $49.82 per day231.8 km / 144.0 miles away
Sarnia Chris Hadfield Airport Car Rentals from $49.82 per day247.5 km / 153.8 miles away
Windsor International Airport Car Rentals from $49.82 per day328.3 km / 204.0 miles away
Ottawa Airport Car Rentals from $30.58 per day348.5 km / 216.5 miles away
Mont-Tremblant International Airport Car Rentals from $29.85 per day474.3 km / 294.7 miles away
Montreal Airport Car Rentals from $35.49 per day490.6 km / 304.9 miles away
Quebec City Airport Car Rentals from $33.91 per day716.3 km / 445.1 miles away
Thunder Bay International Airport Car Rentals from $63.86 per day929.4 km / 577.5 miles away
Saint John Airport Car Rentals from $42.83 per day1085.1 km / 674.3 miles away
Dieppe, Greater Moncton International Airport Car Rentals from $45.50 per day1188.6 km / 738.5 miles away
Winnipeg Airport Car Rentals from $42.83 per day1522.7 km / 946.2 miles away
Sydney Airport Car Rentals from $26.68 per day1544.1 km / 959.5 miles away
Gander International Airport Car Rentals from $81.13 per day1984.9 km / 1233.4 miles away
Regina International Airport Car Rentals from $70.28 per day2046.9 km / 1271.9 miles away
St. John's International Airport Car Rentals from $81.13 per day2106.1 km / 1308.6 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Toronto?
What’s the usual rental length in Toronto?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Toronto?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Rental Agent||Make / Model||Doors||Luggage||Type|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Nissan Rogue||5||3||SUVs|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Toyota Corolla||4||1||Large cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Kia Rio||4||1||Small cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Dodge Durango||5||3||SUVs|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Jeep Wrangler||4||2||SUVs|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Jeep Cherokee||4||3||SUVs|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Dodge Caravan||4||4||People Carriers / Vans|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Toyota Yaris Advance||4||2||Medium cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Honda Civic||4||3||Large cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 14 Suppliers for Toronto in 2019
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.6 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email