Car Rental in Vancouver
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Vancouver?
Vancouver is a great place for renting a car. Having your own ride will not only give you the freedom to travel the whole of Greater Vancouver area, it will also let you visit important landmarks across British Columbia province.
One-Way Car Rentals in Vancouver
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Vancouver and drop off in another city include:
- From Vancouver to Calgary - 118 offers from 67.67 USD per day
- From Vancouver to Seattle - 22 offers from 75.43 USD per day
- From Vancouver to Saskatoon - 16 offers from 90.23 USD per day
- From Vancouver to Toronto - 39 offers from 129.72 USD per day
- From Vancouver to Abbotsford - 10 offers from 90.22 USD per day
Top ways to enter Vancouver
- Vancouver Airport. Located in the nearby Richmond, Vancouver Airport handled almost 26 million travelers in 2018, making it the second-busiest airport in Canada after only Pearson in Toronto. In addition to countless connections all across the Americas, the airport also hosts flights to and from Pacific Asia, Europe, and Oceania. Situated 13 km (8.1 mi) south of Downtown Vancouver, the airport can be reached in about 20 minutes.
- Victoria Airport. The other, much smaller international airport of British Columbia handled two million travelers in 2018. Victoria Airport has flights by 12 different airlines, although some only operate seasonally. Located about 90 km (54 mi) southwest of Vancouver, Victoria Airport can be reached in under three hours, and you’ll need to take a ferry to do so.
- Calgary Airport. Serving the largest city of Alberta Province, YYC Calgary Airport served 17 million travelers in 2018. The airport is a large hub for WestJet and has flights by around 20 other airlines. Calgary Airport is 990 km (615 mi) northeast of Vancouver and it takes 10 to 12 hours to travel between the two. There are many national parks and other attractions on the way, so it’s easy to split up the trip into two or three days. It is popular among travelers to arrive at one of the airports and leave from the other.
- Seattle Tacoma Airport. Often called Sea-Tac, one of the largest airports in the Pacific United States served nearly 50 million travelers in 2018. The airport is a large hub for Alaska Airlines and Delta Air Lines, and hosts flights to destinations all over North America, as well as in Europe and Asia. Located just 250 km (155 mi) south of Vancouver, Seattle Airport can be reached in three hours. You’ll have to cross the international border, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it. Also, make sure whether you need a visa to enter either country.
Useful city facts
- Vancouver is Canada’s warmest large city. Summers are warm, with temperature often exceeding 30 °C (86 °F), and very dry. Winters are mild are very wet. On average, there are only nine days with snowfall per year.
- Vancouver is the capital and by far the largest city of British Columbia. As of 2019, it had a population of 630,000 in the city proper and another 1.8 million living in its larger metropolitan area. Although British Columbia has the area of 944,735 km2 (364,764 sq mi), larger than Nigeria, Pakistan, and Turkey, more than 50% of its population live in or around Vancouver.
Top destinations and activities
- Museum of Anthropology. If you're looking to learn about the people of the Northwest Coast and some of its history, one good spot is the impressive Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia, which houses several thousand objects from BC's First Nations. The museum is also home to significant collections of archaeological objects and ethnographic materials from other parts of the world.
- The Vancouver Art Gallery. The Vancouver Art Gallery in downtown combines local with international through a variety of exhibitions and a permanent collection that focuses on renowned British Columbia artist, Emily Carr. Contemporary Art Gallery is also very much worth a visit.
- Stanley Park. at the tip of the downtown peninsula. Its miles of trails for walking and cycling, beaches, magnificent views and the attractions (including totem poles) within the park gives it something for everyone. The most popular trail is the Seawall, a paved trail that runs around the perimeter of Stanley Park and now joins with the seawalls in Coal Harbour and Kitsilano, 22 km in length. The Vancouver Aquarium is in Stanley Park.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limits vary between different roads. The general limits are 90 km/h to 110 km/h on motorways and outside cities and from 30 km/h to 50 km/h inside cities.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05%. Driving under influence exceeding the limit is a criminal offence and can lead to hefty fines, a driving ban, and even imprisonment.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- Using the mobile phone while driving is prohibited. The rule is strictly imposed with high fines.
- The phone number for emergencies is 112.
There are a number of toll roads in Canada. However, as of February 2019, there are no toll roads in British Columbia. The only tolls in place are to cross the Port Mann Bridge and the Golden Ears Bridge.
In the rest of Canada, payment method and fees differ for different toll roads. It is best to look them up in advance, finding the information for each province in which you plan to travel. You can also use a toll calculator to calculate the approximate fees for your upcoming ride.
Ideas for a day-trip
- North Shore. Best known for Grouse Mountain, also known as the Peak of Vancouver, that offers great cityscapes, the nearby North Shore is also a place where you can do things like snowboarding, kayaking, and mountain biking if the weather permits it, or to simply be in the nature.
- Bowen Island. Easily reached by water taxis that depart from downtown Vancouver, Bowen Island and its beaches, walking trails, and small restaurants is a perfect place to unwind from the more busy atmosphere of the big city.
- Okanagan. Most people don't think of Canada as a wine destination, but Okanagan can change anyone's mind. Thanks to the mild ocean climate, this British Columbia region is home to high class wineries and a number of tasting tours. Okanagan is more than four hours drive east of Vancouver which probably makes visiting here a two (or even three) day trip, but since you'll be coming here with a rental car, that will only let you experience more of what it has to offer.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car type in Canada is an economy, but fullsize and intermediate are also often picked. The most popular rental cars are the Kia Rio, the Jeep Wrangler, and the Nissan Rogue.
- British Columbia. The rest of the province is much more sparsely populated, but there's plenty to explore here, especially in terms of pristine, untamed nature.
- Alberta. Just east of B.C., Alberta province is, for many, a logical next step after visiting Vancouver thanks to stunning nature areas like Banff National Park and the city of Calgary, another arts, culture, and architecture destination.
- Seattle. Famous for its music, culture, and free spirit, Seattle is one of the most unique American cities. It is just about three hours drive away from Vancouver. Note that if you plan to drive from Seattle to Vancouver (or vice versa), you'll have to cross the border, so it's a good idea to contact your rental car provider in advance to make sure they allow it.
Car Rental Prices in Vancouver
- Convertibles - from $182 per day
- Large cars - from $58 per day
- Medium cars - from $55 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $102 per day
- Premium cars - from $154 per day
- Small cars - from $53 per day
- SUVs - from $101 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good rental car deal in Vancouver:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Vancouver is the cheapest in September when renting a car is about 65% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 17 Cities near Vancouver
Calgary Car Rentals from $57.84 per day681.5 km / 423.5 miles away
Edmonton Car Rentals from $39.63 per day809.1 km / 502.7 miles away
Abbotsford Car Rentals from $42.38 per day62.8 km / 39.0 miles away
Surrey Car Rentals from $61.91 per day25.5 km / 15.9 miles away
Victoria Car Rentals from $73.08 per day63.3 km / 39.4 miles away
287.2 km / 178.5 miles away
Kamloops Car Rentals from $41.56 per day258.0 km / 160.3 miles away
North Vancouver Car Rentals from $43.15 per day14.9 km / 9.3 miles away
Prince George Car Rentals from $76.38 per day523.3 km / 325.2 miles away
Nanaimo Car Rentals from $43.15 per day52.3 km / 32.5 miles away
Grande Prairie Car Rentals from $53.46 per day726.9 km / 451.7 miles away
Courtenay Car Rentals from $43.15 per day135.8 km / 84.4 miles away
Cranbrook Car Rentals from $42.38 per day537.4 km / 333.9 miles away
Chilliwack Car Rentals from $42.38 per day90.7 km / 56.3 miles away
800.3 km / 497.3 miles away
Port Hardy Car Rentals from $61.90 per day341.9 km / 212.4 miles away
749.7 km / 465.8 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Vancouver
Downtown Car Rentals from $46.36 per day
Downtown Car Rentals from $43.15 per day4.1 km / 2.6 miles away
Vancouver Airport Car Rentals from $29.85 per day11.0 km / 6.9 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $61.91 per day25.5 km / 15.9 miles away
Nanaimo Airport Car Rentals from $43.15 per day60.7 km / 37.7 miles away
Abbotsford International Airport Car Rentals from $42.38 per day61.7 km / 38.3 miles away
Victoria International Airport Car Rentals from $73.08 per day74.2 km / 46.1 miles away
Chilliwack Airport Car Rentals from $42.38 per day86.5 km / 53.7 miles away
Comox Valley Airport Car Rentals from $43.15 per day136.7 km / 85.0 miles away
Kamloops Airport Car Rentals from $41.56 per day247.7 km / 153.9 miles away
Port Hardy Airport Car Rentals from $61.90 per day341.6 km / 212.2 miles away
Prince George Airport Car Rentals from $76.38 per day513.2 km / 318.9 miles away
Canadian Rockies International Airport Car Rentals from $42.38 per day531.0 km / 330.0 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $57.84 per day673.2 km / 418.3 miles away
Calgary Airport Car Rentals from $57.72 per day678.0 km / 421.3 miles away
Grande Prairie Airport Car Rentals from $53.46 per day715.9 km / 444.9 miles away
Edmonton Airport Car Rentals from $39.63 per day799.0 km / 496.5 miles away
Fort McMurray International Airport Car Rentals from $108.27 per day1139.8 km / 708.2 miles away
Saskatoon Airport Car Rentals from $73.08 per day1196.2 km / 743.3 miles away
Regina International Airport Car Rentals from $74.94 per day1325.1 km / 823.4 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Vancouver?
What’s the usual rental length in Vancouver?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Vancouver?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Nissan Rogue||5||3||SUVs|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Toyota Corolla Sedan||4||2||Large cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Kia Rio||4||1||Small cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Dodge Durango||5||3||SUVs|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Toyota Corolla||4||1||Large cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Toyota Yaris Advance||4||2||Medium cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Dodge Caravan||4||4||People Carriers/Vans|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Jeep Wrangler||4||2||SUVs|
|Economy rent a car||Honda Civic||4||4||Large cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 13 Suppliers in Vancouver in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.5 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email