Car Rental in Montreal
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Montreal?
Montreal is a great place to visit. Considered by many to be one of the most beautiful cities in North America, it combines elegant historic architecture with sophisticated museums and contemporary art spaces. After seeing the city, you can drive to explore the rest of the vast and diverse province of Quebec.
One-Way Car Rentals in Montreal
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Montreal and drop off in another city include:
- From Montreal to Chicago - 17 offers from US$ 83.78 per day
- From Montreal to Toronto - 62 offers from US$ 68.34 per day
- From Montreal to Quebec City - 30 offers from US$ 81.21 per day
- From Montreal to Dieppe - 15 offers from US$ 68.34 per day
- From Montreal to Vancouver - 15 offers from US$ 145.93 per day
Top ways to enter Montreal
- Montréal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport. The third-busiest in Canada, Montreal Airport served 19.4 million travelers in 2018. The airport is named after Pierre Trudeau, a former prime minister of Canada and the father of current Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau. Located about 20km (12 miles) west of downtown, the airport can be reached in 30 to 40 minutes.
- Ottawa Airport. Serving Canada’s capital city, Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier Airport handles nearly five million travelers every year. The airports host a number of domestic flights as well as flights to and from the United States, Latin America, and the Caribbean. Located near the border of Ontario and Quebec, Ottawa Airport is 200km (125 miles) west of Montreal and can be reached in about 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- Quebec City Airport. Located in the capital of Quebec, this airport handles many flights to and from small communities in the northern part of Quebec as well as other destinations in Canada and abroad. Located 250km (155 miles) northeast of Montreal, the airport can be reached in 2 hours and 45 minutes.
- Toronto Pearson Airport. With 49.5 million travelers served in 2018, Toronto Pearson is the busiest airport in Canada and one of the busiest in North America. A hub for a number of airlines including Air Canada and WestJet, and also served by tens of others, it offers flights to and from all of the continents in the world. Located 550km (342 miles) southwest of Montreal, the airport can be reached in 5 hours and 30 minutes.
Useful city facts
- Montreal has a humid continental climate with warm summers and cold, snowy winters. The average high temperature in the city is 26°C (79°F) in July, the warmest month, and -5°C (22°F) in January, the coldest. The rainiest period of the year is between June and September; February is the driest month.
- Montreal, like the rest of Quebec, is a primarily French-speaking city, but there is also a large community of native English speakers. Around 60% of Montreal’s residents are fluent in both languages, and this includes the majority of people working in the tourism and service industries. Other languages such as Italian, Arabic, and Spanish also have a large number of native speakers in the city.
- The largest part of Montreal is located on the Island of Montreal, a large island at the meeting point of Saint Lawrence and Ottawa Rivers. Montreal is made up of 19 boroughs that are further divided into neighborhoods. Many neighborhoods have a distinct character. Some of the best-known are the Latin Quarter, Chinatown, the Gay Village, and Old Montreal. Montreal has a population of around 1.7 million, making it the second-largest city in Canada. Another 2.3 million people live in its wider metropolitan area.
Top destinations and activities
- Old Montreal. Also known as Vieux-Montréal, the most famous part of the city is made up of narrow cobblestone streets, the Old Montreal Port, and some of the oldest European architecture in North America. First, visit Jacques-Cartier Street which is full of tiny galleries, classy restaurants, and street performers. Then, check out landmarks like the Bonsecours Market and the Montreal Clock Tower.
- Parc du Mont-Royal. Surrounding Mount Royal which gave Montreal its name, this park is one of the largest green spaces in Montreal. A scenic place to visit regardless of the season, it is made up of walking paths, Beaver Lake, and man-made attractions such as the George-Étienne Cartier Monument and the Mount Royal Chalet.
- McCord Museum. Located in Downtown Montreal, the McCord Museum is dedicated to the history of Canada. Plenty of exhibitions introduce visitors to such varied topics as the First Nations of Canada, the arrival of Europeans, and the art made by inhabitants of the country throughout centuries.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limits vary between different roads. The general limits are 90km/h to 110km/h on motorways and outside cities and from 30km/h to 50km/h inside cities.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05%. Driving under influence exceeding the limit is a criminal offense and can lead to hefty fines, a suspension of your license, and even imprisonment.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- Using the mobile phone while driving is prohibited. The rule is strictly imposed with high fines.
- The phone number for emergencies is 112.
There are many toll roads in Canada, including some in Quebec. Different toll roads are administered by different authorities, so the available methods of payment and fee amount also depends on each toll road. It is best to look them up in advance, finding the information for each province in which you plan to travel. You can also use the Canadian toll calculator to calculate the approximate fees for your upcoming trip.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Quebec City. Much smaller than Montreal, but the capital city of Quebec, Quebec City is a history lover’s dream. Its old town is a UNESCO World Heritage site. Chateau Frontenac is claimed to be the most photographed hotel in North America. And there are also other attractions like the Citadel and the Terrasse Dufferin. Located 260km (160 miles) northeast of Montreal, Quebec City can be reached in about 2 hours and 40 minutes.
- Mont-Tremblant National Park. The small town of Mont-Tremblant is rightly known as Eastern Canada’s winter sports mecca. But unlike the ski slopes, the national park that surrounds it can be enjoyed year-round. The perfect place for hiking, canoeing, and spotting wildlife, Mont-Tremblant is one of the nicest national parks in Quebec. The park is 135km (84 miles) northwest of Montreal and can be reached in just 90 minutes.
- Ottawa. More interesting than a lot of people give it credit for, Canada’s capital has more than its fair share of attractions. Visitors enjoy high-class museums like the Canadian Aviation Museum and the Canadian Museum of History, the city’s many green spaces, and, of course, the majestic Parliament Hill. Located 200km (125 miles) west of Montreal, Ottawa can be reached by car in only two hours.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car type in Montreal is the economy, followed by compact and standard. The most popular rental cars are the Nissan Note, the Chevrolet Spark, and the Hyundai Elantra.
- Toronto. The largest city in Canada, Toronto is also a hub of culture, performance arts, and innovation. There’s plenty to see and do here including the Art Gallery of Ontario, the Ontario Science Center, the CN Tower, the beaches of Lake Ontario, and nearby Niagara Falls. Located 540km (335 miles) southwest of Montreal, Toronto can be reached in about 5 hours and 30 minutes.
- La Verendrye Wildlife Reserve. A protected area that’s the size of a small country, La Verendrye is the proof that even near the large cities of Eastern Canada, it is possible to find true wilderness. Made up of more than 4,000 rivers and lakes and home to wildlife species like the black bear, white-tailed deer, and gray wolf, it is the perfect place for being in nature. Located 290km (180 miles) northwest of Montreal, the reserve can be reached in about 3 hours.
- The United States. Montreal is located on the border with the United States, and any traveler must be at least tempted to visit Canada’s neighbor. Iconic American cities like Boston and New York are just a few hours drive south, and with a rental car, even cities like Detroit or Philadelphia are within your reach. To go from Canada to the United States, you’d have to cross an international border, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it. Also, be sure to check if you need a visa to enter the United States.
Car Rental Prices in Montreal
- Large cars - from $49 per day
- Medium cars - from $43 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $58 per day
- Premium cars - from $61 per day
- Small cars - from $40 per day
- SUVs - from $57 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Follow these tips to land a good rental car in Montreal:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Montreal is the cheapest in September when renting a car is about 37% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 53% cheaper than renting a vehicle in April.
Top 16 Cities near Montreal
Toronto Car Rentals from $58.93 per day477.9 km / 297.0 miles away
Ottawa Car Rentals from $27.22 per day152.1 km / 94.5 miles away
Hamilton Car Rentals from $42.80 per day554.8 km / 344.7 miles away
Windsor Car Rentals from $33.67 per day819.0 km / 508.9 miles away
London Car Rentals from $96.32 per day658.7 km / 409.3 miles away
Quebec City Car Rentals from $42.62 per day233.0 km / 144.8 miles away
Dieppe Car Rentals from $44.25 per day705.8 km / 438.6 miles away
572.0 km / 355.4 miles away
Kingston Car Rentals from $30.48 per day264.6 km / 164.4 miles away
Saint John Car Rentals from $75.86 per day613.0 km / 380.9 miles away
Sarnia Car Rentals from $33.67 per day735.4 km / 456.9 miles away
Mississauga Car Rentals from $33.85 per day509.4 km / 316.5 miles away
Halifax Car Rentals from $27.92 per day801.1 km / 497.8 miles away
485.8 km / 301.9 miles away
Whitby Car Rentals from $89.72 per day446.1 km / 277.2 miles away
Mont-Tremblant Car Rentals from $37.95 per day131.9 km / 81.9 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Montreal
Montreal Airport Car Rentals from $36.17 per day13.6 km / 8.5 miles away
Mont-Tremblant International Airport Car Rentals from $37.95 per day137.7 km / 85.5 miles away
Ottawa Airport Car Rentals from $23.08 per day164.9 km / 102.5 miles away
Quebec City Airport Car Rentals from $42.62 per day220.7 km / 137.1 miles away
Kingston Airport Car Rentals from $30.48 per day277.7 km / 172.6 miles away
Toronto Scarborough Car Rentals from $58.93 per day491.5 km / 305.4 miles away
Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport Car Rentals from $112.83 per day506.2 km / 314.5 miles away
Toronto Airport Car Rentals from $16.06 per day520.8 km / 323.6 miles away
Hamilton Airport Car Rentals from $42.80 per day568.2 km / 353.1 miles away
Saint John Airport Car Rentals from $75.86 per day599.8 km / 372.7 miles away
London International Airport Car Rentals from $42.62 per day662.6 km / 411.7 miles away
London Train Station Car Rentals from $96.32 per day672.2 km / 417.7 miles away
Greater Moncton International Airport Car Rentals from $44.25 per day692.3 km / 430.2 miles away
Sarnia Chris Hadfield Airport Car Rentals from $33.67 per day749.0 km / 465.4 miles away
Halifax Port Car Rentals from $27.92 per day788.1 km / 489.7 miles away
Windsor International Airport Car Rentals from $33.67 per day832.5 km / 517.3 miles away
Sydney Airport Car Rentals from $131.19 per day1049.1 km / 651.9 miles away
Thunder Bay International Airport Car Rentals from $49.86 per day1235.4 km / 767.6 miles away
Gander International Airport Car Rentals from $69.24 per day1480.8 km / 920.1 miles away
St. John's International Airport Car Rentals from $68.18 per day1604.2 km / 996.8 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Montreal?
What’s the usual rental length in Montreal?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Montreal?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Discount||Nissan Micra||5||2||Small cars|
|Discount||Toyota Yaris||4||3||Medium cars|
|Economy rent a car||Honda Civic||4||3||Medium cars|
|Discount||Toyota Corolla||4||4||Large cars|
|Discount||Hyundai Accent||4||3||Large cars|
|Discount||Dodge Grand Caravan||5||3||People Carriers/Vans|
|Economy rent a car||Honda Fit||4||3||Small cars|
|Economy rent a car||Ford Explorer||4||3||SUVs|